Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Favourite

Won awards and I usually like these period dramas. I had high hopes

Hey for fun us aristrocrats throw oranges at a naked guy, wtf :confused:

Nobody was likeable, hell even a rabbit gets hurt for no reason at all

I cannot believe it was so popular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The Matrix films specifically Matrix 2.

I was away on business way back when and I was bored one night so I went to see the Matrix 2 to see what all the hype was about. It's the only film where I left the cinema early. Utter shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The Favourite

100% yes. Awful, just awful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

FatherTed wrote: »

I was away on business way back when and I was bored one night so I went to see the Matrix 2 to see what all the hype was about. It's the only film where I left the cinema early. Utter shyte.

The first Matrix is the only one worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The Kill Bill films

What a load of oul ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Kill Bill films

What a load of oul ****.

Absolute trash. Same for all Tarantino movies apart from the first two and Inglourious Basterds. 10 movies, 7 of them are sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Going to go with Black panther,

Not exactly Oscar worthy hype around it but the amount of hype and buzz it was getting on social media was crazy so I said I'd give it a go and it was truly horrific ,

Not a big marvel fan but probably there worst attempt at a movie,

It basically got hyped because it is mostly and all black cast , the movie its self is really crap even for a super hero movie,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Inglourious Basterds' was tripe as well.

Tarantino has three consistently good movies, 'Reservoir Dogs', 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Jackie Brown'.

The rest he always manages to fuck up somehow. 'The Hateful Eight' starts off excellently and then turns to mush when everyone starts puking geysers of blood like they were in a Monty Python film.

Tarantino is great at writing silly dialogue and individual scenes. But, as a whole, the majority of his movies are expensive trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The lord of the rings films.
    They are fine, I have seen them they have left zero lasting impression on me.

KungPao wrote: »
    Everyone's always said the fluffy love story was boring - but once the berg is hit it get's fairly interesting, at least.

Yeah, once it hots the iceberg, it turns into a proper film. But, by christ, is it a chore getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The Favourite

They weren't supposed to be likeable. They were portraying some awful people

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Inglourious Basterds' was tripe as well.

Tarantino has three consistently good movies, 'Reservoir Dogs', 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Jackie Brown'.

The rest he always manages to fuck up somehow. 'The Hateful Eight' starts off excellently and then turns to mush when everyone starts puking geysers of blood like they were in a Monty Python film.

I actually like all the films in your post (minus The Hateful Eight) but the Kill Bill thing was just silly.

A very slim blonde woman running around chopping people's limbs off. Stupid music, silly acting. Yes i'm sure the Tarantino zealots will say I didn't appreciate his cinematic homage to old school samurai / martial arts 70's films but to me it was just a load of bollox. I went to see the first one in the cinema many years ago and walked out after an hour. Total ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Homelander

I actually would agree with Kill Bill, but I thought the 2nd movie was a huge improvement and I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds are the only two of his movies I didn't particularly enjoy, though both had some good individual scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Lost in Translation.
    Enjoyed the film. Really identified with the Bill Murray character.
    Wife hated it, the emotional affair at the centre of the film probably worried her.
    but it is hugely overrated.

I identified with the Bill Murray charactor untill I found out he was married.

The thing that cheers me up is the the girl I sat beside and went to ''Karoke'' with, (with no intension of doing anything more with) was just better than the leading lady could ever have been protrayed. Had the same Swedish look to her aswell.

The titles probably the best thing about it.

I actually like all the films in your post (minus The Hateful Eight) but the Kill Bill thing was just silly.

A very slim blonde woman running around chopping people's limbs off. Stupid music, silly acting. Yes i'm sure the Tarantino zealots will say I didn't appreciate his cinematic homage to old school samurai / martial arts 70's films but to me it was just a load of bollox. I went to see the first one in the cinema many years ago and walked out after an hour. Total ****e.

I wasn't gone on 'Kill Bill' either. Part 1 was alright, I spose, even though I wasn't gone on it. But I just couldn't abide Part 2 and overall, it was just one long, long, annoyance.

Out of everything he's done since 'Jackie Brown', only 'Django Unchained' works for me and even that's irritating because it steals the name 'Django'. In fairness, lots of other movies have done that as well, which was no doubt Tarantino's angle. But it doesn't make it any less "ugh".

I guess I just find his schtick tired at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Going to go the opposite way here and say 'pain and gain'

Not a master piece by any means but I really enjoyed it and watch it once a year at least.
    But I know most people hate it and think it's absolute garbage haha

Homelander wrote: »
    Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds are the only two of his movies I didn't particularly enjoy, though both had some good individual scenes.

This is problem for me. Taking as individual scenes, they can be good. Great even. But when inserted into a whole film, they're just not enough, and I've never understood why he always has to go silly in the majority of his movies.

I know he likes B movies and 42nd street trash, but that type of thing has a limited appeal and it doesn't coincide with the more serious parts of his movies.

I will say, though, that in his favour he's rarely a boring director, even if I find the majority of his films a real let down. At some point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but Fury - what a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I tried to watch Avatar, twice, but it just bored the shíte out of me.

Some great scenery-chewing from Stephen Lang, though, an underrated actor, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Purgative wrote: »

There's a problem with war movies these days in which the makers seem keen on depicting the horror, but run a mile from depicting realistic tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Mrs Brown's boys D'movie

And anything else with Brendan O Carroll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

FatherTed wrote: »

Yes. Add to that the Keanu Reeves cardboard acting.

On another note, I used to work in set construction for films, and noticed in Matrix One I think, the machine gunning scene around elevators: the walls were shaking throughout as the squibs exploded. Very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Yes. Add to that the Keanu Reeves cardboard acting.

On another note, I used to work in set construction for films, and noticed in Matrix One I think, the machine gunning scene around elevators: the walls were shaking throughout as the squibs exploded. Very funny.

How about ‘A clock work orange’......gangs of New York, titanic, all 007’s, the three Star Wars in the early 00’s, the last Indiana Jones.......all pure scutter......!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Mrs Brown's boys D'movie

And anything else with Brendan O Carroll

The film was poorly received so it's not overrated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Purgative wrote: »

I thought so the first time I watched it, but it was on again recently one night on TV and i couldn't turn it over. It could be a slow burner, some good acting and decent special effects.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Going to go the opposite way here and say 'pain and gain'

Not a master piece by any means but I really enjoyed it and watch it once a year at least.
    But I know most people hate it and think it's absolute garbage haha

The biggest issue with this film is that Mark Wahlberg is in it. I generally avoid anything he's in because I find it incredibly irritating watching him attempting to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'd give Kill Bill Vol 1 10/10, a masterpiece. For me you walked out just before the greatest fighting sequence in the history of cinema.

Greyfox wrote: »
    I'd give Kill Bill Vol 1 10/10, a masterpiece. For me you walked out just before the greatest fighting sequence in the history of cinema.

Its sh1te. IMO. :o

Street Fighter the movie is so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Jaws - worst movie ive ever seen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jaws - worst movie ive ever seen!

Can I ask what year did you first watch it and think this ?

Advertisement