Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated films that people seem to think are a great but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think he's amazing in it. His voice, body language, posture, line delivery etc. It's probably a bit over the top though but it works. The whole film flirts a bit with gothic horror rather than being a straight psychological thriller.

When Clarice says "no, you ate yours", he looks down in a little flicker of shame.

He's amazing in everything though.

Coincidentally he based his voice off Hal in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I never got the hype until recently. I'd seen his movies are thought they were ok, maybe even good or very good, but not at the amazing level. But I'm a movie nerd and eventually started watching stuff about his movies. The amount of details and technical challenges in each one is amazing. So now I can actually see both sides of the argument. And I'd agree/disagree with anyone who said he was amazing. :)

Jaws is a classic.

Spielberg's a genius and can do no wrong.

btw, for anyone who's a bit of a movie nerd, I discovered the criterion collections youtube channel. The Criterion collection is a collection of classic movies.

They get directors, writers actors etc to go into a closet and pick their favorite movies, pop them into a bag and take them home. When they're doing this they chat about why they like those movies. They're all just a few minutes long but I find them lovely. It's just people who love movies chatting about the movies they love. I realise that it's the exact opposite of the thread title, but thought ppl might find it interesting.

Edgar Wright

Michael Shannon

Guillermo del Toro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,801 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If anything Jaws is underrated, far and away Spielberg's best movie, & one of the best of all time.

Schindler's List is surely his masterpiece but in terms of his age and budget, Jaws is a great achievement. Apparently there was loads of mishaps also during filming.

I'd definitely put Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park over Jaws also. Saving Private Ryan also.

Suspension of disbelief.

Just enjoy a good story well told.

Also only one black guy in a prison in the south is hard to believe.

Do you mean Steven Soderbergs film?

I really liked it. I'm not sure it's considered a classic or anything though.

From a movie making perspective Jaws is far far better than Indiana jones or Jurassic park. I'd say it is a better story too. The characters are far deeper than in either of the other two.

You're right about the production mishaps. The shark kept sinking. So they couldn't show it for most of the movie. So they used things like the barrels to create a suspenseful image. It's weird but the stuff that went wrong made it a better movie. I remember reading about when Speilberg got John Williams' soundtrack and went "It's only two notes?" and Williams said Trust me :)

Editing to include the dolly zoom :)

• Advertisement

We'll agree to disagree.

I saw Jurassic Park in the cinema as a small child and it blew my mind.

I still love the first and third Indiana Jones. Just perfect filmmaking.

Schindler's List is just perfect also. It even manages to have some humour.

I'm not sure I'd call Spielberg underrated but maybe under appreciated cos he's not cool maybe. Much prefer him to Kubrick or Scorcese or Nolan or Hitchcock or Fincher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Spielberg was innovative but that was a long time ago. Watch Bridge of Spies and you can see he can be very simplistic and overly stages shots. There is also the elements of being overly patriotic for the USA and extreme nostalgic presentation. Temple of Doom was the best Indiana movie but they really are just a copy of film serials he grew up with and not very original. First Jurassic was ground breaking but the series really should stop

It's funny when I saw Bridge of Spies my thought was "only Spielberg could've made it a good film" as the story was pretty thin.

Temple of Doom is considered the worst of the first 3 but I still like it. I think he really understands boys sensibility with monkey brains and snakes etc.

What I love about Spielberg and Indiana Jones is just the expert filmmaking like the pacing, framing, editing etc. Just really understanding the medium and storytelling.

Watch the start of the Last Crusade and you'll find yourself hooked immediately.

I think people take cinema too seriously. Just tell a good story well. That's it.

Christopher Nolan over complicates it although I still like him.

Amongst Cinephiles it's probably not cool to say Spielberg is your favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

"unsurprisingly written by Stephen King who has a case of Trump Derangement Syndrome".......yeah, written about 34 years before Trump decided to run for office. While King was smack bang in the middle of a crippling drink and coke addiction. Trying to tie this into some weird left vs right nonsense is a big leap to be making.

He gets out in 1975, by the way, not the 1940s.

He didn't make a good film though. The scene where Tom Hanks is going over the boarder and they have multiple things going on in the background to show how the border was operating looks absolutely awful and so ham fisted. Looks and sounds like a sound stage with loads of technical shots but everything is very clean and also inaccurate.

He really is not as good as he once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I think its set in Maine. Character in the book was white too.

You mean when he was on the train and out the window you can see people being shot trying to escape?

I agree it's ham fisted but still liked the film.

It was well reviewed by critics and friends alike.

See, I really love those movies. And I'd find Raiders far more enjoyable than jaws. But in every single other metric, Jaws is better. And that's the thing, is enjoyment the only measure of whether a movie is good? There are movies I've seen where I've left depressed but I'd say they were great movies. And likewise there's a LOAD of movies I love which I'm pretty sure 99% of people here would think are useless (I love cult horror/zombie/monster type stuff).

I think Nolan is very over rated in some ways. The technicalities behind some scenes are amazing but I still didn't really enjoy his movies.

People like lots of things that are terrible things and there are still plenty of valid criticism. Not that scene the one where he is on foot. The story made a huge deal about his coat and it never even happened nor him seeing people being shot at the border. There is a point where story elements are added for effect but too much in this movie. Spielberg's name no longer means quality like it once did but he will continue to make profitable films.

Saw Jaws as a kid when it was first on TV and it was really good then. Watch it now and you see it was a bit blunt and ham fisted in parts but forgiven for dating but a 2015 with all the money he wanted is not as easy to forgive.

• Advertisement

I guess it's whatever you want in that moment.

It shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's just storytelling. I guess fundamentally it should be stimulating and engaging. I enjoyed "Manchester by the sea" as much as "Interstellar" for example.

I find most comic book movies boring but lots of people love them.

I enjoyed "Oppenheimer" but I wouldn't be too bothered about seeing it again. But films like Shawshank Redemption and Goodfellas always suck me in. I think someone described them as "remote droppers", as in you drop the remote when you're flicking through channels.

I really like "Bone Tomahawk" but I don't think it'll go down as a classic.

I still like him but he can be hit and miss. Some of his themes are repetitive.

I think he overcomplicates things also. Not everything has to be different timelines.

But still I really like him and I'm glad he exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Any film made by Woody Allen.

Barbie I thought wasn't great and it's critically and commercially successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The Exorcist has not aged well, it's more a bit boring and a bit funny rather than scary these days. Some old films like Cassablanca, Ben Her and the good bad & ugly are still masterpieces but films like 2001 a space oddessy, Psycho and Citizen Kane are films that were great if you watched them back then but they are a bit disappointing if you watch them for the first time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Jaws is just a really good film to me, nothing more. Jurassic Park was absolutely mind blowing when I first seen it in the cinema and for me Shindlers list is by quite some distance the most powerful film ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The character in the book was Irish. Hence the line in the film when he is asked why people call him Red: “because I’m Irish”

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

I first satw 2001, psycho and Citizen Kane in the late 90's. They are all remarkable feats of cinema

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Watched 40 odd minutes of Blade Runner 2049 on Netflix before turning it off, mind numbing rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭17togo

Only read through the first few pages and haven't seen it being mentioned....

But.....

Any Star Wars film!!! 🫣 tried several times to watch some of them, never able to make it passed about an hour of it. And I like sci fi movies. Dunno what it is about them. Maybe it's cos I didn't watch them when they were released and haven't aged well?!

Advertisement