Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Might be something to do with PSD2 and SCA which could possibly have required recurring card payments to be re-entered after a certain date.

I figured it was just to reconfirm card details or something. We'll see if it works next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Does 48 support WiFi calling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Cyrus wrote: »
    Does 48 support WiFi calling ?

No, only Eir and Vodafone support it AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

48 were supposed to take the 7.99 from my account Monday. got a text Monday to say something went wrong. talked to them on webchat, the problem was on their side. result, I was left unable to make calls, send texts, use my data for a few days. shambles of a company. I have given up on them after only 3 months. I have joined a different network since.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Why do 48.ie ask you to "port" your number to them before you can sign up by giving your debit card details. It's so much easier with go mo.

I'm helping a friend. I instructed them to port the old no over. When the present phone company were leaving cut off the phone do we then insert the 48 sim and sign up.online for payment. Obviously 48 sim card has been activated. 48 never gave a time when port will happen I.e. couldn't set a future date and time.
    Do 48 look for card no or Iban?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Why do 48.ie ask you to "port" your number to them before you can sign up by giving your debit card details. It's so much easier with go mo.

I'm helping a friend. I instructed them to port the old no over. When the present phone company were leaving cut off the phone do we then insert the 48 sim and sign up.online for payment. Obviously 48 sim card has been activated. 48 never gave a time when port will happen I.e. couldn't set a future date and time.
    Do 48 look for card no or Iban?

You can sign up and be given a new 48 number and then port in your existing one to replace it whenever you want.

Anyone have issues with 48 dropping network coverage completely? It's happened me a few times over the past few days and I've had to reboot the phone to get it to work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Jacksie66. wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with 48 dropping network coverage completely? It's happened me a few times over the past few days and I've had to reboot the phone to get it to work again.

Not 48 but Tesco. Waiting for important call, medical. No call, pick up phone, no signal. Reboot and signal back. Happened a few times. Tesco sent out new {updated SIM?} I think it has happened one more with newer SIM on last 2 weeks.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

dohouch wrote: »
    Not 48 but Tesco. Waiting for important call, medical. No call, pick up phone, no signal. Reboot and signal back. Happened a few times. Tesco sent out new {updated SIM?} I think it has happened one more with newer SIM on last 2 weeks.

This^^^^ with Tesco - tried everything, changed every setting, soft reset, new sims, factory reset, new phone!! Nothing solved. Finally moved to Virgin media (also on the 3 network) - seems to be ok at the moment. Most frustrating few months ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Jacksie66. wrote: »

Same here, no solution so ended up moving back to Eir for €9.99. Unfortunately lost the €7.99 deal but it was completely unreliable. When it worked it was perfect with 4G speeds over 150mb most of the time. But I missed so many calls with it randomly dropping. I’m in a very good coverage area in the City so it wasn’t caused my poor signal. It was used in an iPhone 7.

No issues on another phone with a 3 sim so seems to be 48/Tesco Mobile having the issues.

• Advertisement

Cork981 wrote: »
    Same here, no solution so ended up moving back to Eir for €9.99. Unfortunately lost the €7.99 deal but it was completely unreliable. When it worked it was perfect with 4G speeds over 150mb most of the time. But I missed so many calls with it randomly dropping. I’m in a very good coverage area in the City so it wasn’t caused my poor signal. It was used in an iPhone 7.

No issues on another phone with a 3 sim so seems to be 48/Tesco Mobile having the issues.

You pay for what you get. it was an experiment for me but I would never go back to 48. very unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You pay for what you get. it was an experiment for me but I would never go back to 48. very unreliable.

I signed up with 48. a few months ago and am also experiencing problems with no coverage too many times. Each time I contact them on internet I must give the long number at the back of the sim. I'm really fed up with them.
    I have a 10.99 monthly membership - how can I get out of it? I don't want to change my credit card number, so must I write to them?
    How did you do it?

I signed up with 48. a few months ago and am also experiencing problems with no coverage too many times. Each time I contact them on internet I must give the long number at the back of the sim. I'm really fed up with them.
    I have a 10.99 monthly membership - how can I get out of it? I don't want to change my credit card number, so must I write to them?
    How did you do it?
    It's literally a matter of toggling off auto renew in My48.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

How did you do it?

It's not a contract so just cancel auto renew (if enabled) and port to another network.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

How did you do it?

As its pay as you go plan, just port to another network! And turn off auto renew if enabled

How did you do it?

I also asked them on web chat to send me a confirmation email to say i had left 48. I don't want them taking money out of my account next month, so better to have an email like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I don't want them taking money out of my account next month, so better to have an email like that.

I use a virtual Revolut card for the likes of these for that reason, once I leave I can freeze or delete it.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This may be related to the fact that the old O2 2G network still operates separately to Three's 3G/4G/5G so when your handset switches to 2G, it's roaming. The MVNO SIMs mightn't be able to handle this switching as seemlessly as native Three SIMs, resulting in the dropouts. Might be worth disabling 2G on your handsets to see if this improves things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Buffman wrote: »
    I use a virtual Revolut card for the likes of these for that reason, once I leave I can freeze or delete it.

I'm with AIB. I am able to use online banking to terminate any standing payments - in fact I did just that with Eir when they were going to charge me for something the shouldn't.

So in what way is Revolut any better?

I'm with AIB. I am able to use online banking to terminate any standing payments - in fact I did just that with Eir when they were going to charge me for something the shouldn't.

So in what way is Revolut any better?

48 top up is by card payment only....is it possible to block card payments in AIB online banking?

A virtual card (such as Revolut) can be blocked and therefore can't be charged after it's blocked. A normal physical card can also be cancelled but that requires contacting the issuer and getting a replacement so it's a bit of hassle compared to a virtual card that can be blocked in real time.

48 have a gift shop option that allows a single card payment without retaining card details after transaction so it's possible to avoid storing card details in the app/portal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ten Pin wrote: »
    48 top up is by card payment only....is it possible to block card payments in AIB online banking?

A virtual card (such as Revolut) can be blocked and therefore can't be charged after it's blocked. A normal physical card can also be cancelled but that requires contacting the issuer and getting a replacement so it's a bit of hassle compared to a virtual card that can be blocked in real time.

48 have a gift shop option that allows a single card payment without retaining card details after transaction so it's possible to avoid storing card details in the app/portal.

Er, yeah. My 48 direct debit is from the same account/card my Eir payments were from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

it's not a contract, its pay as you go. you can leave at anytime, and you won't owe them anything and they won't try to keep taking money. no need to be cancelling cards!

spakman wrote: »
    it's not a contract, its pay as you go. you can leave at anytime, and you won't owe them anything and they won't try to keep taking money. no need to be cancelling cards!

Boards seems to be full of paranoid people the last few years in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

My subscription didn’t auto renew for some reason like many others. Sorted it now but was wondering how long you get service for when your subscription runs out and isn’t renewed?

how long you get service for when your subscription runs out and isn’t renewed?

At least 5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

How did you do it?

You are really making a meal of this to be fair, don't auto renew or pay next sub or port out.. Easy peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Quackster wrote: »
    This may be related to the fact that the old O2 2G network still operates separately to Three's 3G/4G/5G so when your handset switches to 2G, it's roaming. The MVNO SIMs mightn't be able to handle this switching as seemlessly as native Three SIMs, resulting in the dropouts. Might be worth disabling 2G on your handsets to see if this improves things.

Thanks - Do you know how to disable 2g on an android phone?

Do you know how to disable 2g on an android phone?

If it's not in the mobile network settings menu then enter the following into dialler...

*#*#4636#*#*

....a Testing window will open immediately (without pressing the call button).

Select "Phone Information"
    Scroll down to "Set preferred network type"
    Select any combination from dropdown list that excludes 2G / GSM while including 3G / WCDMA and 4G / LTE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.speedtest.net/result/11399883132

I though speed was capped at 10Mbps, or is that only at peak times?

edit: I have anohter question. Is there a way to resend phone settings via sms. My phone at the time didn't have the WAP service for that to work but I've installed it now and I want to see if it's working : )

• Advertisement

I though speed was capped at 10Mbps, or is that only at peak times?

There is no speed cap, some folks are confusing actual achievable speeds (that depend on coverage and congestion) with the network's published contractual speed...the networks are obliged to provide indicative speeds to comply with regulations but it's virtually meaningless on mobile networks.

My phone at the time didn't have the WAP service for that to work but I've installed it now and I want to see if it's working : )

Set APN as....

48months.liffeytelecom.com

Advertisement