Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Invidious wrote: »
    And yet many of the woke generation, while demanding trigger warnings on classic works of literature, will happily sit through Game of Thrones' endless depictions of executions, incest, mass battles, violent hand-to-hand combat, rape, slavery, castration, torture, poisoning, human sacrifice, witchcraft, and so on. It's nuts.

It’s modern day Puritanism really - signalling their virtues to the world of goodness and grace, while behind close doors they were some right dirty fcukers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

And yet many of the woke generation, while demanding trigger warnings on classic works of literature, will happily sit through Game of Thrones' endless depictions of executions, incest, mass battles, violent hand-to-hand combat, rape, slavery, castration, torture, poisoning, human sacrifice, witchcraft, and so on. It's nuts.

Those probably aren't the same people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Can anyone tell me who the woke-boss is?
    The don't seem to have any visible leaders thay can get behind, just a load of mid-level and low-level tweeters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Those probably aren't the same people though.

I do find that hard to believe. Game of Thrones became the most popular show around, especially among 18 to 29-year-olds, the same demographic that pushes woke ideology and demands trigger warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The don't seem to have any visible leaders thay can get behind, just a load of mid-level and low-level tweeters.

I'm not sure, but we can work it out by a process of elimination.

They won't be.....

White
    Male
    Heterosexual

Actually is Oprah gay?

• Advertisement

I do find that hard to believe. Game of Thrones became the most popular show around, especially among 18 to 29-year-olds, the same demographic that pushes woke ideology and demands trigger warnings.

But there's as much variety among younger generations as among older generations. It doesn't make any sense to tar them all with the same brush, even if that's what people on boards love to do.

I'm not sure, but we can work it out by a process of elimination.

They won't be.....

White
    Male
    Heterosexual

Actually is Oprah gay?
    She is too normal I think. it would probably have to be trans or a gender fluid carbon based lifeform :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

This ****ebag

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5ed560d07fe4060006bbce1e%2F0x0.jpg%3Fbackground%3D000000%26cropX1%3D422%26cropX2%3D1300%26cropY1%3D0%26cropY2%3D879

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Wibbs wrote: »
    Though a blanket statement on my part I have found this to be true: anyone who uses the term "trigger warning" in earnest and without irony is a mental defective.

Unless they are talking about it as it was originally meant to be intended i.e. may trigger memories of a traumatic event, such as an ex-soldier hearing something sounding like a gunshot which then triggers, i.e. causes him to recall, disturbing experiences. Except that even in this form it's still about virtue-signalling in that it's holding up a sign saying "see how caring I am for people who have suffered" when in fact avoidance of recall triggers is not, as far as I know, seen as a useful treatment for traumatic memories.

I think the best you can say about it is that it's well-meaning but ultimately unhelpful.

This ****ebag

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5ed560d07fe4060006bbce1e%2F0x0.jpg%3Fbackground%3D000000%26cropX1%3D422%26cropX2%3D1300%26cropY1%3D0%26cropY2%3D879
    She is good friends with George W Bush. That probably knocks her out of the running.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Everyone should at some point study the works of Shakespeare, even outside of the school curriculum. If not for the many quotable soliloquys, then for sheer entertainment value alone!

Lady Macbeth’s “Unsex me here” and Cassius’ “While we petty men walk under his huge legs and peep about to find ourselves dishonourable graves”, or Caesar’s own opinions of “sleek headed men”... classic :D

I suppose at some point you’d get around to understanding the historical context, but that doesn’t spoil the enjoyment.

‘‘Tis a fair thought to lie between maid’s legs” .. etc.

The nuns were not happy with Hamlet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

There's a difference between being puzzled or exasperated because of the words and actions of some oft attention seeking offence mongers out there and being so emotionally frail that the slightest thing will "trigger" a negative emotional response.

Nah - trigger-McTrigger-face all over the place.

The easily triggered, the "confused" at being triggered - all of it.

It hilarious tbh - all this online bs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

She is good friends with George W Bush. That probably knocks her out of the running.

Why would being a hypocrite put you out of the running?

There were rumours of the old Sapphic leg over between Oprah and Gayle King her bezzie.

Not sure if true tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Surprised no complaint about the name Black Friday !

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Surprised no complaint about the name Black Friday !

It’ll come...!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Irish Times article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/does-ireland-have-a-diveristy-problem-at-third-level-1.4416678#.X8YR78zm-ac.twitter

Does Ireland have a diveristy problem at third level?
    A new report shows there is just one full-time black female academic professor in Irish academia

Note that the vast majority of lecturers are not professors.

Geuze wrote: »
    Irish Times article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/does-ireland-have-a-diveristy-problem-at-third-level-1.4416678#.X8YR78zm-ac.twitter

A new report shows there is just one full-time black female academic professor in Irish academia

Note that the vast majority of lecturers are not professors.

True - and guess which pox is contributing there? La Joseph, who doesn’t want racism to end or her media career is over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gervais08 wrote: »
    True - and guess which pox is contributing there? La Joseph, who doesn’t want racism to end or her media career is over.
    Well exactly. Her career and public profile thrives and depends on her screeching racism at every turn.

Race, Ethnicity and Change in Higher Education, a new report from the Royal Irish Academy (RIA) and the British Council in Ireland, says that this lack of data may be harming the educational and career opportunities of black, Asian, Traveller and other ethnic minority students in Ireland.

So they have little data, yet are running with panic stations over maybes? So we have one African professor. Africans make up under two percent of people living here and the vast majority have arrived here in the last twenty years. What did they expect? A few dozen? Hundreds? Never mind that unlike the professor in question who came here above board with a work visa, a large proportion of that demographic didn't. As recently as 2019 16% of Africans were unemployed, compared to 4% of those from EU nations. Who's more likely to go to university, or have a university education under their belt?

I'll bet the farm that if and when the data does come out we'll find that East Asian and Indian access to third level and higher educational standards will not be an issue and almost certainly higher than Africans and ahead of Travellers(and likely ahead of local Whites), just like everywhere else. That will likely be quietly buried mind you as it asks discomforting questions.

“It’s the price you pay for speaking out,” says Joseph.
    It's as much the price we pay for the implementation of the current busted flush that is multiculturalism.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Well exactly. Her career and public profile thrives and depends on her screeching racism at every turn.

Race, Ethnicity and Change in Higher Education, a new report from the Royal Irish Academy (RIA) and the British Council in Ireland, says that this lack of data may be harming the educational and career opportunities of black, Asian, Traveller and other ethnic minority students in Ireland.

So they have little data, yet are running with panic stations over maybes? So we have one African professor. Africans make up under two percent of people living here and the vast majority have arrived here in the last twenty years. What did they expect? A few dozen? Hundreds? Never mind that unlike the professor in question who came here above board with a work visa, a large proportion of that demographic didn't. As recently as 2019 16% of Africans were unemployed, compared to 4% of those from EU nations. Who's more likely to go to university, or have a university education under their belt?

I'll bet the farm that if and when the data does come out we'll find that East Asian and Indian access to third level and higher educational standards will not be an issue and almost certainly higher than Africans and ahead of Travellers(and likely ahead of local Whites), just like everywhere else. That will likely be quietly buried mind you as it asks discomforting questions.

I’ve a mate works at a College - they only have one French professor. I don’t hear him bitching!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I’ve a mate works at a College - they only have one French professor. I don’t hear him bitching!!
    If they're White, there's no currency in that in the oppressed/oppressor narrative.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

If they're White, there's no currency in that in the oppressed/oppressor narrative.

He is. And straight. I’m surprised they haven’t fired him,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

I think their headquarters is on Bumble and Tinder...loads of liberal activists there...

Left left left left...A political moderate right left × 7 right left× 13 right right

Profile Information

Liberal, Activist swipe left

Moderate A political swipe right

Left left,eft right left

my boots are heavy my jeans are tight my balls are swinging from left to right

left left, left right left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

But there's as much variety among younger generations as among older generations. It doesn't make any sense to tar them all with the same brush, even if that's what people on boards love to do.

I don't accept that the woke left and Game of Thrones viewers are two mutually exclusive populations. I think it's much more likely that the usual virtue signaling gets set aside when it comes to their favorite TV series.

I don't accept that the woke left and Game of Thrones viewers are two mutually exclusive populations. I think it's much more likely that the usual virtue signaling gets set aside when it comes to their favorite TV series.

It's funny because I was watching the Thor movies recently, and was well impressed by the armor worn by Valkyrie. Very feminine (obvious breast shapes), ... no outcry over realism then.. :D

val2.jpg

Perhaps some do that. But you seem very keen to blame an entire generation for things you don't like. What percentage of people aged 18-29 do you think are asking for trigger warnings? Certainly a lot fewer than are watching Game of Thrones.

This is a very funny tendency on this site. People constantly lay into young people for everything that's wrong with the world, but if anyone says anything bad about older generations, they've crossed a line. You don't have to look far for for hypocrisy.

Perhaps some do that. But you seem very keen to blame an entire generation for things you don't like. What percentage of people aged 18-29 do you think are asking for trigger warnings? Certainly a lot fewer than are watching Game of Thrones.

This is a very funny tendency on this site. People constantly lay into young people for everything that's wrong with the world, but if anyone says anything bad about older generations, they've crossed a line. You don't have to look far for for hypocrisy.

Really>? I tend to blame my generation (I'm my 40s) for most of this woke BS... they encouraged this rubbish to begin, it's just younger people who are keeping the momentum going. (If you don't know what I mean by that, visit some university campuses in Ireland when they're campaigning for <insert> group)

+1. IT's a tiny minority of dopes and neurotics out there calling for this stuff and it's most certainly not clustered among the young. There are just as many middle aged farts going "woke". Consider ivory tower social "studies" academics in university campuses that have been the drivers of this nonsense. They're not kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Geuze wrote: »

For all the equality and “we are all the same” rhetoric that these types go on about, they sure do love to focus on nothing but skin colour as the be-all and end-all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement