Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs CONNACHT match thread

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm assuming it's because Cronin wasn't banned for an on the field incident so the disciplinary process and outcome are different. It wasn't a citing commission that gave out his ban.

Citing commissioners never give out bans. Cronin was banned by the EPCR disciplinary committee, same as if he'd punched a guy during a European game.

Cronin got off because of Covid and nothing else.

aloooof wrote: »
    You're basically criticising Munster for not scoring a point before the 7th minute here, which seems a bit... silly.

I think he's more trying to provide context for why some of the later scores came. no?

Connacht are far from a shambles. They had a chunk of the best performances last weekend and the game yesterday was in my view more of a freak where mistakes were seriously punished.

The game was a shambles for sure - but when that many cards are being handed out then any game is going to descend into nonsense, the game was turning into 7's and players were diving into tackles. It was a freak - nothing more and no reflection of either squad.

Munster were excellent against Leinster, the better team for many chunks of the game despite being badly hampered in the build up and hit with injuries on the day. They will be a completely different prospect next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That full strength Munster team needed Connacht to have someone in the bin before scoring a point so ya know

1. Munster turned down kickable penalties to go for a try
    2. Munster more than likely would have scored earlier if there weren’t so many infringements to kill our attack

It happened at the other end of the field later in the half when Connacht were driving towards our line and Munster killed the ball repeatedly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Connacht's discipline was a complete shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think he's more trying to provide context for why some of the later scores came. no?

Connacht are far from a shambles. They had a chunk of the best performances last weekend and the game yesterday was in my view more of a freak where mistakes were seriously punished.

The game was a shambles for sure - but when that many cards are being handed out then any game is going to descend into nonsense, the game was turning into 7's and players were diving into tackles. It was a freak - nothing more and no reflection of either squad.

Munster were excellent against Leinster, the better team for many chunks of the game despite being badly hampered in the build up and hit with injuries on the day. They will be a completely different prospect next week.

Really looking forward to Friday now, Munster have blooded the team as best we could vs Leinsters more measured buildup while sacrificing match time for their first team

I think we will hit the ground running but can we keep the pace up and keep our discipline?

I hope so, but can’t wait to find out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Connacht's discipline was a complete shambles.

That's more accurate. How would you describe Munster's in the passage before half time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭cson

Zzippy wrote: »
    That's more accurate. How would you describe Munster's in the passage before half time?

The infringements there were absolutely bizarre. No need for it & 2 players into the bin. Defend it within the laws, if Connacht get over what about it, you're still 2 scores and 2 men up on them with 40 minutes of rugby to play. Accepted that Beirne's was harsh but overall brain dead stuff from 2 International players, O'Mahony in particular.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Zzippy wrote: »

Chaotic and disjointed. They didn't exploit the 2 man advantage that well.

Aki was on a mission. He looks enormous. Lots of Supermacs takeaways presumably? His beard is not great however.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

molloyjh wrote: »
    Hes not really.

Fair enough, maybe I'm reading "before they scored a point" too literally, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

I agree tho, I wouldn't go as far to call Connacht a shambles. I don't think either team will take too much from that game beyond having to improve their execution / discipline with the new interpretations.

The number of infringements was surprising in a way as Connacht had Frank Murphy in the Ulster game, and Munster trained with him in the lead up to the Leinster match. They both should have had a decent idea of the picture he wanted to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

Connacht team has (again) work to do for mauls and ruck protection.

Scrum didn't look great either.

I'm more optimistic about our defence (even Daly), and agressivity. Turned bad this time, but a good sign

• Advertisement
Advertisement