Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Five guys would have to get by him and there's two majors left, which he has been unquestionably the best in so far this year.

It'd be surprising if he doesn't make it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Not sure what’s surprising about that.

id barely watch it - it’s cringe and I’d love to see more players treat it with the disdain it deserves like Tiger did back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 37,636 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They have loads of events to get by him. How many events do Schauffele and Homa have to get two top fives?

And then three of them for one of Cantlay, Young or Spieth?

You can't just decide based on Koepka's performance in the first two that he'll beat those guys in the next one, golf doesn't work that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Where do you start?

the fist pumping and over celebrating, the matching outfits ,”poults”, the fans acting like extra dickheads - I could keep going.

least essential golf watch of the years it’s onfor me- I’ll always catch the majors, players some of the more interesting big events on good courses, then tune in for the lesser events if Irish lads are playing and finally will watch Ryder cup if I’d a gun to my head.

Tiger was right in his prime

I used to watch it years ago when it was European tour players against PGA tour players. There was a real edge to it then

Now the majority of these players play regularly on the PGA tour and live beside the American players. They are all friends.

I don't know how anybody cares anymore about it. I don't believe they care about it, maybe one or two do but in my opinion it's all an act these days, it's good for sponsorship and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yer both mad. The Ryder Cup is class

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

Ryder cup is getting worse as each event passes. I would have planted my backside on sofa for 3 days but more keep an eye on it. Supporters don’t help with the behaviour. Players acting like you wouldn’t see on an normal event.

Woods I bet wouldn’t play one if he has his way. Ask him what he’s won and probably never mention the Ryder cup. Players like Poulter use the Ryder cup to flesh out his singles achievements.

Bright side with a few going to liv might give some players a chance to be captain that wouldn’t be due to having it to give it to x or y.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tommy doing his best not to get his first PGA Tour win. That was an awfully played 18th hole, gave himself no chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Then lost the playoff, **** the bag at the end, he's a proven bottler

Rather than moan and complain about Tommy how about being delighted for Canada. I'm delighted for them. Tommy will have his day.

Tommy made a playoff, he got there. If he didn't make the playoff you could call him a bottler, the playoff went four holes I think and Nick Taylor was lucky to hang on so it's not a bottle job. Taylor holed a 70+ footer for eagle to win it, again nothing Tommy could do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Fleetwood and his caddie made a mess of 18 in regulation. What was he doing rushing his second shot? Even his tee shot seemed rushed. He’s a quick player but Jesus take a minute and relax. He missed the fairway on 18 twice then in the playoff with an iron off the tee. You don’t deserve to win any tournament doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Must be great to be a golfer who never makes mistakes. Clearly sticking it into the long grass wasn’t the strategy he was going for. Silly but understandable mistake to make under pressure. Thought he did well to get himself back into the game and play 4 playoff holes before losing to an absolute miracle putt from the home favourite.

Surely the most important thing about a routine is sticking with it. Whether you dwell or not over a shot. When the pressure is on, it’s probably not the time to change your routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

Thought Fleetwood was excellent, hit one bad shot which was the iron off 18, not sure if the lie was good enough to get a 5 wood onto it, did well to make par from where his 3rd shot was. Did nothing much wrong in the playoff and held a great putt on the 1st playoff hole. Onwards and upwards, he will win in the US and unlike players when he does, he will win again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭coillcam

Agreed 100%, Taylor hit a magical little recovery on the first playoff hole leaving nearly a kick-in. Fleetwoods jumped out of a similar crap lie and squirrelled away past the hole. That was a huge birdie to drain. There was little to separate them in the playoff holes, only a 70ft eagle putt that you can simply only doff your cap to.

Yer man on Sky (Holmes?) mentioned something about Tommy's bag possibly having bad gapping for 18. Hence hitting a 4i vs Taylor's rescue. I dunno what other club he had to hit between it and the mini-driver but it obviously didn't suit him off the tee. I think he had 7w/9w and driving iron's there previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

About time Rahmbo missed a cut (36 events)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Amazing achievement by Bernhard Langer to win the US Senior Open at 65 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Bit late to the Ryder Cup debate but I have to second the negative Ryder Cup sentiment somewhat.

In itself it's a decent enough competition - something different and good twists in it - but it's been bombasted to death at this point. The never-ending TV build-up. The mega square ceremonies and speeches. The WAGS and the uniforms. The dramatic music scores. The preachy commentary of has beens on and on about previous 'heroics'. The captains and second captains and assistant captains and whatnots and their terribly grand strategies. The exaggerated / fake emotionalism.

They'd make you believe its an event of galactic importance or something.

Don't get me wrong I watch if nothing better is on but I absolutely second the cringe sentiment. The bombastic hype is taking the good out of if not killing the actual event.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Great to see Rickie win a tournament. Absolutely clutch the way he did it with two birdies (the 18th and the playoff)

• Advertisement

He was very lucky in the playoff getting a beautiful clean lie in the rough which prevented spin. Hadwin hit a great shot but the spin took it a long way from the hole.

I'm delighted for him, the win should put him back where he was before what happened to him with a bad swing coach.

I'd love to see him win a major, he's come so close so many times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

His body stature and face when he sunk the winning putt was priceless, delighted for him, and to think he only got his card due to LIV exiters from the PGA tour…..such a nice guy and back where he belongs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭coillcam

Lucky that he had a shot and that the grass was trampled but there was nothing lucky about the rest.

He stuck two darts back to back on 18 and drained birdie putts when it really mattered. There were 9 birdies all day on 18. Yer man just casually strokes in B2B birdies to force a playoff and then win it. I couldn't dimish that in any way. Balls of steel and I loved the muted celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Why was the golf on early yesterday ? I went to tune in and it was over lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭zocklie

I made the same mistake :P There was storms forcast so they rattled it off early, I tuned in and they were on the 17th, I thought they were showing yesterdays hilights or something

What's lucky was that his clean lie in the rough made the shot a lot easier as he wasn't getting any spin.

As I said Hadwin hit a great shot but the spin took it away from the hole. Hadwin's shot was as precise as it could be, you seen that Morikawa went too far, about a foot further than Hadwin.

Ricki had no control over how his ball would react once it hit the green. It rolled out beautifully for him. It could have stopped a lot sooner.

As I said I'm delighted for Ricki but there was a lot of luck involved.

Straka having a great round. Maybe in the 50s!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Don’t think so! Finished with a double bogey

Advertisement