Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

Eh mate no supporters are allowed in, only staff and volunteers and stewards. As a steward for these games we have to be in the ground well before the game

Will be a boring few hours but watching you rant about Mary Lou and Sinn Féin every 2nd post and defend whatever the Govt do in the other posts will keep me entertained

Very bitter since Mary Lou led Sinn Féin to a historic election result and showed what a real leader is like in an election, not resort to what about SF like FG did or FF are doing

What a pity she’s been conspicuously absent in leadership since! She, above all TD’s should know the importance of the discussion she walked away from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

What a pity she’s been conspicuously absent in leadership since! She, above all TD’s should know the importance of the discussion she walked away from.

Has she been absent yeh? You obvs don't watch or listen to many political shows. She's on quite regularly

Running scared when that's all ya have left to shout

• Registered Users Posts: 67,284 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Just a few examples from recent weeks of the use of British Isles

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/18804423.tarmac-british-isles-somersets-answer-morning-weather-map/

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/21/uk-clocks-go-back-2020-change-no-extra-drinking-time

https://ulsterherald.com/2020/09/25/omagh-man-competing-to-become-mr-british-isles/

I picked the most entertaining references for your dilection. Far from obsolete.

Yes, there is no official recognition by Ireland of the term British Isles, but equally there is no official recognition by Ireland that everyone born on this island is Irish by geographical default.

Edit: Oh I forgot, the thanks analysis is back, it was funny the last time when I started randomly thanking posts and someone accused me of racism or something for having thanked a post.

Oh jaysus, somebody seeing the 'British Isles' in a cloud formation is proof now. We really are tripping the light fantastic here, That is nearly as good as your professed ability to distinguish Northern Irish people from northern Irish people by accent alone.

So desperate are you to win this argument that is what you are posting. :)

Why would Ireland need to 'officially recognise' that the people born on the island are Irish?

What a ridiculous notion.

Has she been absent yeh? You obvs don't watch or listen to many political shows. She's on quite regularly

Running scared when that's all ya have left to shout

Pity she cannot attend vital meetings. As supposed leader of the opposition, there’s no excuse for leaving a vital meeting less than half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

Pity she cannot attend vital meetings. As supposed leader of the opposition, there’s no excuse for leaving a vital meeting less than half way through.

Mary Lou does have form in this respect to missing meetings:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30886615.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

400 bucks a plate. Nice money.

I wonder was it for the SF in the south or the SF in the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Eh mate no supporters are allowed in, only staff and volunteers and stewards. As a steward for these games we have to be in the ground well before the game

Will be a boring few hours but watching you rant about Mary Lou and Sinn Féin every 2nd post and defend whatever the Govt do in the other posts will keep me entertained

Very bitter since Mary Lou led Sinn Féin to a historic election result and showed what a real leader is like in an election, not resort to what about SF like FG did or FF are doing

If you want leaders to win elections, you can pick people like Trump and Johnson, and yes, Mary-Lou. Winning an election isn't a sign of a leader.

If you want leaders to run countries and change society for the better, then you need something a lot better.

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you want leaders to win elections, you can pick people like Trump and Johnson, and yes, Mary-Lou. Winning an election isn't a sign of a leader.

If you want leaders to run countries and change society for the better, then you need something a lot better.

Haha your funny man. Sinn Féin are here to stay, have more public support than Fine Gael and your sick about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

"Real leaders" don't have to report back to an illegal gang to get instructions and orders

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/what-evidence-is-there-that-the-ira-still-controls-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1.4182679

Truthvader wrote: »
    "Real leaders" don't have to report back to an illegal gang to get instructions and orders

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/what-evidence-is-there-that-the-ira-still-controls-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1.4182679

Awh ya bitter aswell that Mary showed how to run an election campaign while Leo blew up and had FG their worst result in near a century?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Haha your funny man. Sinn Féin are here to stay, have more public support than Fine Gael and your sick about it

Quaint to read one of Mary Lou's less intellectually gifted foot soldiers bragging about SF's yellow pack version of The Thousand Year Reich!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

Awh ya bitter aswell that Mary showed how to run an election campaign while Leo blew up and had FG their worst result in near a century?

The reason she had to go to States to avoid the presidential inauguration was to avoid embarrassment after shambolic Liadh Ni Riada campaign.

This year's general election campaign will be taught in politics classrooms for years for worst ever candidate selection: never has a party left as many seats behind as SF did this year. If she had known how to run a campaign she could be Taoiseach now.

Quaint to read one of Mary Lou's less intellectually gifted foot soldiers bragging about SF's yellow pack version of The Thousand Year Reich!

Careful now they are very very sensitive about their "less intellectually gifted" membership - but are happy enough to celebrate and glorify those who killed a mentally retarded 15 year old.

rdwight wrote: »
    The reason she had to go to States to avoid the presidential inauguration was to avoid embarrassment after shambolic Liadh Ni Riada campaign.

This year's general election campaign will be taught in politics classrooms for years for worst ever candidate selection: never has a party left as many seats behind as SF did this year. If she had known how to run a campaign she could be Taoiseach now.

In prime position now to pounce in the next election. The establishment is falling apart as can be seen during Covid 19, not fit to Govern and getting more wrong than right and accepting no responsibility. 2 leaders at loggerheads not even talking, HSE not even reporting to the Govt, shambles

Truthvader wrote: »
    Careful now they are very very sensitive about their "less intellectually gifted" membership - but are happy enough to celebrate and glorify those who killed a mentally retarded 15 year old.

FF and FG are all too happy to see the poor cervical check scandal ladies go through hell to get justice even after admitting the state failed them. Scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You got that bit right. Standing around Tallaght Stadium watch an LOI team would play would be a very boring few hours!! My idea of hell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

You know the Shinners have nothing when you know they never try to defend their own people.

The answer to everything is always about how such and such is worse.

Mary Lou left an important meeting with NPHET early and then did a radio interview where she claimed she didn't have access to all the detail the way the Taoiseach did. If she knew she had a reason to be away why did she not nominate someone else to go to the meeting on her behalf and then get them to do the interview?

It all smacks of Sinn Féin not caring. They didn't care enough about their voters to compromise and even get some smaller parties on board for a run at an alternative government. They didn't even so much put together a framework for government.

All any Sinn Féin voter got from their incredible election success was a circle jerk about how they put it up to FF/FG while they ran away from doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You know the Shinners have nothing when you know they never try to defend their own people.

Mary Lou left an important meeting with NPHET early and then did a radio interview where she claimed she didn't have access to all the detail the way the Taoiseach did. If she knew she had a reason to be away why did she not nominate someone else to go to the meeting on her behalf and then get them to do the interview?

It all smacks of Sinn Féin not caring. They didn't care enough about their voters to compromise and even get some smaller parties on board for a run at an alternative government. They didn't even so much put together a framework for government.

All any Sinn Féin voter got from their incredible election success was a circle jerk about how they put it up to FF/FG while they ran away from doing anything.

Populist nationalism is always an empty cask.

I think those back on pandemic payments and those safe from eviction and being cut of by the ESB would beg to differ.

This kind of pressure on the government is what will drive their vote up next time.

I'm delighted tbh, a reinvigourated Labour party by the looks of it, the SDs and SF forming a proper opposition. FG/FF and the Greens getting away with nothing.

FF and FG are all too happy to see the poor cervical check scandal ladies go through hell to get justice even after admitting the state failed them. Scumbags

Dishonest nonsense as usual. A tribunal has been set up to fast track the claims. I understand that some of the women are not happy and that others are trying to generate issues for their own ends but it is a lie to pretend that FF/FG are "happy". There are however other parties to the debacle who no doubt are demanding a "fair trial " etc

The alternative is a march through the High Court which I think everyone with any wit admits would be a worse outcome

• Advertisement

I think those back on pandemic payments and those safe from eviction and being cut of by the ESB would beg to differ.

This kind of pressure on the government is what will drive their vote up next time.

I'm delighted tbh, a reinvigourated Labour party by the looks of it, the SDs and SF forming a proper opposition. FG/FF and the Greens getting away with nothing.

What are you talking about?

Sinn Féin aren't in government they didn't do any of that stuff?

If it's the case that you're happy to accept credit for government actions, shouldn't we be raging that the biggest party in Ireland wants nothing to do with the responsibility of building houses?

What are you talking about?

Sinn Féin aren't in government they didn't do any of that stuff?

If it's the case that you're happy to accept credit for government actions, shouldn't we be raging that the biggest party in Ireland wants nothing to do with the responsibility of building houses?

Pressure can get stuff done too. Surely you aren't politically naive enough to realise that?
    The government cut the payments and had to restore them. Lifted the restrictions on evictions and had to re-impose them, because of political pressure put on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

It seems in the early days of the troubles the PIRA were the only ones who would defend the people in the north, The battle of St Matthew's was the Provisional IRA's first major action during the Troubles, and a propaganda victory for the Irish nationalist organization.
    Violence erupted at St Matthew's Catholic church on the evening of 27 June. It began after a loyalist band and supporters marched through the area on their return from the main parade. Rival groups gathered, taunting led to stone-throwing, and eventually shots were fired.[13]

As the situation worsened, Catholic residents feared that the gathering crowds of loyalists would attempt to invade the Short Strand and burn them from their homes. Local IRA members retrieved weapons from arms dumps. A young resident, Jim Gibney, recalled: "I saw neighbours, people I knew, coming down the street carrying rifles. I was just dumbstruck by this experience. I'd never seen such a thing before".

The battle began at about 10pm and would continue for the next five hours.

A small group of IRA members and members of the Citizens' Defence Committee[1][5] took up positions in the church grounds and in adjoining streets. The IRA members were armed with M1 carbines.

Shortly after the shooting began, Stormont MP
    SDLP Paddy Kennedy went with Short Strand residents to the local RUC base and demanded protection for their homes, while the SDLP were running to the RUC on their knees begging for protection that never came, in the Markets IRA members assembled and prepared to reinforce the Short Strand should it be invaded. British soldiers eventually arrived in armoured vehicles and cordoned off the roads around the Short Strand, which denied the IRA "any hope of reinforcement".

I doubt the people living in the area shaking in their homes terrified with their at the time regard the young men who died defending them as terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Hqrry113 wrote: »
    It seems in the early days of the troubles the PIRA were the only ones who would defend the people in the north,

Importing all those arms into the country really helped keep citizens safe.

Pressure can get stuff done too. Surely you aren't politically naive enough to realise that?
    The government cut the payments and had to restore them. Lifted the restrictions on evictions and had to re-impose them, because of political pressure put on them.

Sure you don't need to cost 40m in TDs to apply pressure or do you?

No amount of pressure is a substitute for being in power. You're clutching at straws, you're being let down and can't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It seems in the early days of the troubles the PIRA were the only ones who would defend the people in the north, The battle of St Matthew's was the Provisional IRA's first major action during the Troubles, and a propaganda victory for the Irish nationalist organization.
    Violence erupted at St Matthew's Catholic church on the evening of 27 June. It began after a loyalist band and supporters marched through the area on their return from the main parade. Rival groups gathered, taunting led to stone-throwing, and eventually shots were fired.[13]

As the situation worsened, Catholic residents feared that the gathering crowds of loyalists would attempt to invade the Short Strand and burn them from their homes. Local IRA members retrieved weapons from arms dumps. A young resident, Jim Gibney, recalled: "I saw neighbours, people I knew, coming down the street carrying rifles. I was just dumbstruck by this experience. I'd never seen such a thing before".

A small group of IRA members and members of the Citizens' Defence Committee[1][5] took up positions in the church grounds and in adjoining streets. The IRA members were armed with M1 carbines.

SDLP Paddy Kennedy went with Short Strand residents to the local RUC base and demanded protection for their homes, while the SDLP were running to the RUC on their knees begging for protection that never came, in the Markets IRA members assembled and prepared to reinforce the Short Strand should it be invaded. British soldiers eventually arrived in armoured vehicles and cordoned off the roads around the Short Strand, which denied the IRA "any hope of reinforcement".

I doubt the people living in the area shaking in their homes terrified with their at the time regard the young men who died defending them as terrorists.

Cool story, Bro.

That’s why the PIRA ended up killing more Catholics during the troubles than anyone else, and almost more than the rest of the scumbags up there put together.

Jaysus if a Brexiteer started making reference to how the Tories led the nation to victory in the battle of Britain a lifetime ago I'd say they needed to look at the present and future a bit.

What's the difference here? Banging on about supposed heroic acts a lifetime ago

Sure you don't need to cost 40m in TDs to apply pressure or do you?

No amount of pressure is a substitute for being in power. You're clutching at straws, you're being let down and can't accept it.

No, you are being politically naive. Effective opposition works.
    The only thing you are correct about is it is not the same as being in power.

Jaysus if a Brexiteer started making reference to how the Tories led the nation to victory in the battle of Britain a lifetime ago I'd say they needed to look at the present and future a bit.

What's the difference here? Banging on about supposed heroic acts a lifetime ago

:D:D:D:D As opposed to banging on about 'terrorist' acts a lifetime ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Perhaps not, but I'm sure the parents of the children killed in Warrington and the families of those killed in Kingsmills, Enniskillen and La Mon would.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement