Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekends Boxing 22/8 (Whyte v Povetkin, Taylor v Persoon, Alvarez v Smith Jr etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

Called as TKO, was that not a classic KO?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Mandatory fight. But only if Dillian won.....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hockney wrote: »
    Called as TKO, was that not a classic KO?

It was..

Rules can be funny.

If ref does not count to ten they can call a TKO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

That has to be my favourite knockout in the last few years. He’s always been some man for the angles Povetkin. It’s that split second where he realises where Whyte’s right arm is but stops himself from throwing the body shot that would seem more obvious, waits those couple of split seconds to wait for the arm to move out of his way and bring the chin back into sight, and then bam, hits the cleanest of uppercuts you’ll ever see. Good night and good luck.

Crafty guy alright. I think it's more a case of Whyte finallybeing exposed for how poor he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

walshb wrote: »
    People criticise AJ a heap on here..
    He took both these lads out!!!!

Dillian had a bad shoulder and took the fight at short notice and gave a bellweather for what would happen in the Ruiz fight. I think he would take AJ now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Actually, the shot was almost nonchalant. Beautiful technique and natural power...

There was method to the madness too.
    Povetkin had landed some left hooks to the body in round 1, Whyte's corner were telling him to pivet the elbow into it to block them, which he did quite a bit for a few rounds. Then Povetkin feighted to the body.....elbow comes down from Whyte and bang up the middle with the uppercut from Povetkin.
    A brilliant adjustment from Povetkin.

Whyte had a few close calls fighting around this level, it was only time he got beat eventually.

Whyte still has heavy hands..

That short uppercut he landed in close to knock AP down the second time shows raw power..

Isn’t AJ such a nice dude!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭squinn2912

It was..

Rules can be funny.

If ref does not count to ten they can call a TKO!!

I lost a bet on Chisora szpilka over that. Livid.

AP is still a walking KO..

If he can’t take a Wilder out, or even a Fury out, they will take him out..

He is shot!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Big Ears wrote: »
    Povetkin had landed some left hooks to the body in round 1, Whyte's corner were telling him to pivet the elbow into it to block them, which he did quite a bit for a few rounds. Then Povetkin feighted to the body.....elbow comes down from Whyte and bang up the middle with the uppercut from Povetkin.

Whyte had a few close calls fighting around this level, it was only time he got beat eventually.

Very well dissected

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I feel really bad for Dillian, they have f**ked him over every which way bar give him his shot at the title. He's taken every single risky fight they have thrown at him and eventually one of them was going to go bad.

What other “risky” fight did he take? And this was hardly a risky fight against a very old, albeit decent, heavyweight.

He talks a LOT of ****. He had a chance to either wait or fight. He fought and lost.

Great finish by Povetkin. All about the other three now. Whyte and all his talk are thankfully out of the picture for now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

People criticise AJ a heap on here..

He took both these lads out!!!!

aj the most overrated boxer all down to the sky machine, fury will toy with him but i expect you to get 0/5 predicting fury to lose yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Big Ears wrote: »

Intriguing insight that. Was watching with sound low so didn’t pick that corner comment up. It adds to the wily old pro guile that Povetkin picked up on it and executed it. Much as it’s possible every time someone scores from a corner in football or breaks the gain line in rugby to trace it back to a mistake made somewhere along the lines, and Whyte’s flaws were clearly exposed here, for me that shot is one where you just doff your cap and say well done, that was clinical.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    aj the most overrated boxer all down to the sky machine, fury will toy with him but i expect you to get 0/5 predicting fury to lose yet again.

I’m 0/3 with Fury btw..

are you sure 2 wilders fights, wlad and i thought you gave the chisora the nod, i could be wrong on that, ah 0/4 is impressive too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

For all Whyte's talk about how he is willing to face anyone, why did he not rematch Joshua if he really believed he could avenge the defeat. The money not being enough just seems like a feeble excuse.
    Even if he manages to win the rematch against Povetkin, i still think he is a level below Fury and Joshua.

are you sure 2 wilders fights, wlad and i thought you gave the chisora the nod, i could be wrong on that, ah 0/4 is impressive too though.

Yes, you could be right..

Chisora was years ago. Fight 1...I recall thinking he would beat Fury..

0/4..

And yes, I will be picking AJ via KO!!

None of my picks are at all outlandish..

Fury was a novice really for first Chisora fight..

Pretty much everyone thought Wlad would best him..

And picking a KO machine like Wilder over him, was not at all odd/unusual.

0/4..

ah only messing, just really hope he beats wilder then that dick aj and retires, what more is left for him to do if he does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

0/4..

I'm inclined to agree. AJ can win by ko. He won't be as piss poor technically as Wilder is. He is actually capable of putting effective combinations together that can hurt Fury.

• Advertisement

ah only messing, just really hope he beats wilder then that dick aj and retires, what more is left for him to do if he does that.

I know you were only messing, or discussing..That’s what the forum should be about.

I'm inclined to agree. AJ can win by ko. He won't be as piss poor technically as Wilder is. He is actually capable of putting effective combinations together that can hurt Fury.

A point I have made. And a huge reason that for me, he takes Fury out..

Wilder, had he any real accuracy and technique would have..

AJ a far better overall puncher than Wilder..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Isn’t AJ such a nice dude!!!

Not watching on Sky, was he gloating?

Not watching on Sky, was he gloating?

No. Just being nice..

think furys much superior gas tank means he will take aj out 7-9

think furys much superior gas tank means he will take aj out 7-9

Yes, could be..

But, needs to get to this later rds first..

And even then, no guarantee. AJ carries power at any stage!!!

Let’s hope that no matter what happens, they fight in 2021..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Actually, the shot was almost nonchalant. Beautiful technique and natural power...

Ya, he set it up so nice. What I meant was he was waiting for a chance like that and he put plenty into it when he got it. Whyte fell into the trap that was set. Other than that Whyte didn't look far from finishing him.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Ya, he set it up so nice. What I meant was he was waiting for a chance like that and he put plenty into it when he got it. Whyte fell into the trap that was set. Other than that Whyte didn't look far from finishing him.

Yes.

A bit more aggression and enthusiasm from Whyte and he could have closed the show before it was closed on him..

I sensed a wee bit of casualness with him...

Anyway, delighted he lost..

There is no good way to lose a fight. But that’s about the best way possible.

Whyte looked in good shape and was dominating and hurting Povetkin in every round. He looked like he was about to get the KO.

Then BAM. That’s HW boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Yes.

A bit more aggression and enthusiasm from Whyte and he could have closed the show before it was closed on him..

I sensed a wee bit of casualness with him...

Anyway, delighted he lost..

:) Ya AJ said that after too. Should have been ruthless when he had him in trouble.

I'm just sickened as I had Whyte backed to get KO in rounds 1-6.

Advertisement