Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekends Boxing 22/8 (Whyte v Povetkin, Taylor v Persoon, Alvarez v Smith Jr etc)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Povektin looking very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Digging in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Even enough round there. Whyte is an ignorant boy

Knock down this round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭tastyt

Jesus that sky commentator is unbearable, you’d think whyte has been knocking him all over the ring by listening to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭ebbsy

tastyt wrote: »
    Jesus that sky commentator is unbearable, you’d think whyte has been knocking him all over the ring by listening to him

You think you were watch an early Tyson the way they are going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

weemcd wrote: »
    Whyte is muck isn't he? Not saying he won't win, his style is just terrible to watch.

I've been saying for years how bad he is. I think Dubois or Joyce would beat him

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

tastyt wrote: »

He kinda is though with those body shots

Povetkin is funny, wants to slap gloves at the end of the round like it's a game of pool or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭ebbsy

1000 days as number one contender.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Most nervous I’ve ever been watching Katie, but delighted she got out of there with the win. We know Katie lacks the punching power that rocks a fighter with Persoon’s determination, but that for me was the classiest lateral head movement I can recall from Katie and if there’s two things judges value in the pro ranks, it’s clean powershots and lateral head movement is what they value on the defence side more than gloves up defence. It gives that champion gloss and that does affect their scoring.

If that was two evenly ranked contenders, many of the closer rounds could have gone either way. But for a contender vs undisputed champion situation, acknowledged or not, there is a subliminal “is this our champion” bias at play. If Persoon actually had either panache in her technique or real power in her punching to go along with her incredible doggedness, yep, she could get a lot of rounds in her favour.

But for all the comments about how Katie lacks power and how Persoon lacks accuracy, rarely, if at all, did Persoon show immediate fight ending punching power. Katie was disrupted, but never in that moment where you know you’re rocked and a feather could finish you.

So that for me is the real story here, not only was Persoon very poor in her technique to the extent you’d cringe if she’s to be crowned undisputed champ, she misses far too many shots to be regarded as an accomplished boxer, and she doesn’t have the killer shots to offset that. Normally, a fighter who has that wild punching style has you edge of seat as they could end it any moment. It’s not just Persoon who was not fearful of Katie’s shots, Katie wasn’t all that fearful of Persoons’s shots.

While the width of the margin can be debated, the better boxer remains the champion and I’m delighted for Katie, worried for her longevity as I may be.

Nice upper cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

goodnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Tandey

Game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭tastyt

Wow 😯

Take that! F**k me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Wow

Wow some knock out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Goodnight :O

Delighted..

Hope Whyte ok..

• Advertisement

Always the left hook

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Talk about out of the blue.

Always the left hook

Uppercut I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

HOLY SHIIIIIT

That’s the danger AP always had mean hooks. Whyte will be devastated he was strolling it

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Sweet Jesus

f**k me I was watching a few seconds behind I thought ye were all talking about the left hook from Dillian in the previous round.

Stunned here. Poor Dillian.

This is not a shock..

Whyte is not great..

AP is hardy, and can punch..

AJ blasted Whyte a few years ago, and plodder Del Boy almost beat him..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Holy F

After the knockdowns in the last round I was barely paying attention.

He fùckin buried him there.

Wow.

Advertisement