Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Minister For Agriculture?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It would normally be the biggest party in government that would supply the person to be nominated as commissioner but with this coalition it may be hard to know what horse trading would be done to ensure the nomination. I wouldn't imagine it would be covered under the Programme for Government anyway.

Michael Lehane has an article about who's seen to be in the running.

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1298872638585081856?s=20

Well, scrap that!

Looks like it's FG who decide who will be travelling out to Brussels.

Government will send Fine Gael nominee for EU role with Coveney favourite

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/467FR6

Sent via @updayIE

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

The most experienced and available person for the job as minister for agriculture is now

Phil Hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The most experienced and available person for the job as minister for agriculture is now

Phil Hogan

That’s not even funny.

In said in another thread, it doesn’t really matter.

The minister is the government representative with processors and representative groups. Some people seem to thing that the minister is farmers representative in government. That’s just not the case.

As regards the agriculture portfolio farmers are incidental to the whole thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s not even funny.

In said in another thread, it doesn’t really matter.

The minister is the government representative with processors and representative groups. Some people seem to thing that the minister is farmers representative in government. That’s just not the case.

As regards the agriculture portfolio farmers are incidental to the whole thing.

Unfortunately I agree. You’d think Hogan was the farmers white knight on a big white horse the way some in the mainstream media were going on about it. Same for Minister for Ag.

What’s good for processors and the Irish food industry is not necessarily good for farmers income

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

VDL has apparently asked for 2 nominations ;a man and a woman , that brings Mairead Mc Guinness into play but she may not have the clout and experience for Trade Commissioner so the role would be shuffled and Ireland loses out , so a lot of maneuvering going on.

VDL wants it to be seen as equal opportunities and have a gender balanced commission within reason however I don't think she'll pick a woman's just because she's a woman. Perhaps given 2 people of equal standing (there were 2 euro civil servants mentioned) she may well pick the woman.

However Hogan was a man so replacing him with another man if he's the better candidate won't pose her any difficulties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Leo and Coveney are the only two with the resume to take the Trade job , it would suit Coveney as he was mentored for it by Sutherland but for Leo it would be a stepping stone onto the world stage maybe a bit premature for him but Coveney would get ahead if he turned it down so the rivalry may come into play.
    VDL has apparently asked for 2 nominations ;a man and a woman , that brings Mairead Mc Guinness into play but she may not have the clout and experience for Trade Commissioner so the role would be shuffled and Ireland loses out , so a lot of maneuvering going on.

I would argue that Mc Guinness might have more clout at European level than Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would argue that Mc Guinness might have more clout at European level than Leo

Leo would have huge clout at head of government level.in the EU. This would hold influence EU commission level

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Think Danny would do a good job he's well clued in with rural Ireland etc

However Hogan was a man so replacing him with another man if he's the better candidate won't pose her any difficulties.

I heard at the time Ireland only offered Hogan as a candidate, we were supposed to offer a male and a female candidate. So it wouldn't be much of a surprise which gender get's picked.

I heard at the time Ireland only offered Hogan as a candidate, we were supposed to offer a male and a female candidate. So it wouldn't be much of a surprise which gender get's picked.

Enda Kenny was told Ireland could have the much desired agriculture post if he nominated a female candidate. But he needed his mate Phil off the pitch after the Irish Water mess so he only nominated Hogan just to be sure he’d be gone to Europe, no matter the post he got.

Saving his own and his buddy’s ar*e were more important to Kenny than an EU portfolio that has a major impact on the Irish food industry, never mind the farmers who are ruled by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It'd have been embarrassing if the comissioner seeking a second term was overlooked so inevitably any woman put forward would have been some kind of token nominee rather than a serious contender. It's probably just as well they didn't go through that charade.

That said it looks like it'll be a case of one nominee this time or we go through the charade. It seems to be between Leo and Simon. The question is does Leo think he can be Taoiseach again or does he see it as time to jump ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Enda Kenny was told Ireland could have the much desired agriculture post if he nominated a female candidate. But he needed his mate Phil off the pitch after the Irish Water mess so he only nominated Hogan just to be sure he’d be gone to Europe, no matter the post he got.

Saving his own and his buddy’s ar*e were more important to Kenny than an EU portfolio that has a major impact on the Irish food industry, never mind the farmers who are ruled by it.

I don't get your point??

We nominated Hogan and he got Agri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Leo was on Newstalk with Ivan (Ivan’s very last day) and Ivan asked him would he like a job in Europe and he clearly stated No as he had no desire to live outside of Ireland and that his family and partner were all here.

Now I know people can change their mind but you’d think that a job in Europe wouldn’t be that attractive due to the travel restrictions at present should he fancy a long weekend in Dublin.

Panch18 wrote: »
    I don't get your point??

We nominated Hogan and he got Agri

Kenny took a risk when the ag post was his. He put himself and Hogan before all else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The interest in the new minister says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Dunedin wrote: »
    Leo was on Newstalk with Ivan (Ivan’s very last day) and Ivan asked him would he like a job in Europe and he clearly stated No as he had no desire to live outside of Ireland and that his family and partner were all here.

Now I know people can change their mind but you’d think that a job in Europe wouldn’t be that attractive due to the travel restrictions at present should he fancy a long weekend in Dublin.

Is Ivan heading off to the hills?....seems to be gone off Tonight show on TV3 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Is Ivan heading off to the hills?....seems to be gone off Tonight show on TV3 as well.

He retired a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

McConologue v Carthy
    3rd choice v 3rd rate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement