Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Minister For Agriculture?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

NcdJd wrote: »
    I have no idea Amacca to be frank. because apart from seeing these people during election campaigns i don't know the substance of them.

And I agree with you that nothing is being done apart from the odd marketing campaign from bord bia. But when I hear of tons of spuds sitting in a shed from a family that has been farming for three generations that can't be sold and my father in dunnes this morning looking at French imported spuds something has to give.

I live in hope but I'm probably being naive.

But ive dealt with civil servants over the years and can say they are not civil and they don't bloody serve.

The old guard civil servant is going and those in there now have experience of working in the real world. Give us a chance. Not everyone is a waste of space:D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

The old guard civil servant is going and those in there now have experience of working in the real world. Give us a chance. Not everyone is a waste of space:D

I'll add to that, you reap what you sow. If you are treating civil servents like they are just there to serve you then I'm not surprised you don't find them civil :D

Do you honestly think ministers crack the whip?, its the permanent government who run the country and its the employees of the permanent government. I. E private secretary who writes the speeches and tells the minister what to say:)

That's spot on. Any minister lacking the support of their department will look very (well, even more) foolish in short order. I've seen how it works in meetings. I've heard TD's utter their fears over upsetting CS, as SW says the CS write the speeches... and the legislation.

Minister... why did your new piece of legislation end up being a stinking turd

They were against me Aine, all them feckers in there!

Wouldn't play well on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Robert troy would do a great job
    Very underestimated td and one to watch out for !

Youre obviously related to him. He's a useless tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

So Yes Minister was all true? I'll take back what I said about the civil service and apologise. Need to remind myself that I'm on a public Internet forum and we don't live in a dictatorship yet lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Many a time a department will be working on something for ages only to have a minister change things at the last minute, ignoring warnings. Then when things go pear shaped three years down the line the civil servants get blamed even though they told the minister things would go wrong.

Happens all the time. Ministers make the decisions, CS can only advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I did tell ye ,wee Brendan after big bad barry got shot.
    And i got absolutely no thanks for it.
    So appoint and anoint who ever ye like.

Third time lucky as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

NcdJd wrote: »
    The only problem with civil servants is they will sit on their arses doing nothing and wallow in their comfort zone if allowed to do so. You need someone to come in and crack the whip on them and put them outside their comfort zone.

Not sure this is fair. Deal with civil servants a bit and 90% of them are pretty good. You meet the odd obstructive jobsworth but equally some very bright minds in there. Fianna Fail peering into the bottom of "The West" barrel does not inspire much hope

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I would think McConalogue, former Ag spokesperson for FF, ticks the box geographically. But, with two dodo's down, who knows what sort of thinking is happening at present.

Who would I like to see?........... that will never happen....

Michael Fitzmaurice.

He wouldn’t want it. He’s the conservative, Rural version of PBP.
    Easier to promise a better world when you know there is no chance of having to deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Christ not Michael Fitzmaurice. I'd rather see Richey Boy Barrett in there.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Green&Red wrote: »
    I’d say it’ll be McConalogue, was spokesperson, from the west, might actually have a clue about the job

Was in college the same time as him, think he did commerce, nice lad from the small dealings I had with him

Fond of spreading rumours about others allegedly

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Micey.ie

Fond of spreading rumours about others allegedly

Random viewer half a story.....
    I know McConalogue well and he ticks all boxes,farming background,genuine nice lad.and was spokesperson on agriculture and previously education,but he seems to have gone down the pecking order with MM,and just scraped in at last election.Personally I think McConalogue too nice for job,Anne Rabbite might be better option,

Micey.ie wrote: »
    Random viewer half a story.....
    I know McConalogue well and he ticks all boxes,farming background,genuine nice lad.and was spokesperson on agriculture and previously education,but he seems to have gone down the pecking order with MM,and just scraped in at last election.Personally I think McConalogue too nice for job,Anne Rabbite might be better option,

A whispering campaign was conducted against a possible contender against Mc Conalogue, whether he was directly involved or not it was done on his behalf,

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Actually the opposite is the case.
    New civil servants have absolutely no experience of the real world . They have all the degrees and all the buzzwords but know nothing of what happens on the ground and don’t want to know.
    They bend over for every pressure group .
    Fitzmaurice for Minister but will never get there as too much of a straight talker.

There is a difference between straight talking and tell people what they want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

If it will be Chambers all I can say is god help us!

GNWoodd wrote: »
    Actually the opposite is the case.
    New civil servants have absolutely no experience of the real world . They have all the degrees and all the buzzwords but know nothing of what happens on the ground and don’t want to know.
    They bend over for every pressure group ..

I'm a civil servant and you don't know what you're talking about.

If I said what I'm actually thinking buford would have to call up to my house and slap me :)

Btw..its the ministers who bend because if the dont they won't be re elected

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Fitzmaurice has no intention of going into Government, his main agenda is the turf cutting ban

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭leoch

I would think which ever minister gets offered the job they will already know or be well enough briefed that under no circumstances will he be allowed to do or say anything about /against the meat factories which is a crying shame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Fitzmaurice has no intention of going into Government, his main agenda is the turf cutting ban

He’s for more than just the turf cutters
    Michael is doing allot of hard work for farmers too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

He’s for more than just the turf cutters
    Michael is doing allot of hard work for farmers too

Wasn’t he calling to limit stocking rate to two cows/ha Not really pro dairy farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wasn’t he calling to limit stocking rate to two cows/ha Not really pro dairy farmer

A lot of his jumping up and down would put smaller scaled dairy farms at higher sr outbid business

Can we just give Katie Taylor the job?

Can we just give Katie Taylor the job?

God no, could you imagine her droning on in the Dail

If I said what I'm actually thinking buford would have to call up to my house and slap me :)

Unfortunately I do know what I am talking about - Plenty of experience of dealing with them On a daily basis
    Why have they allowed a handful of individuals control the beef industry ?
    Did any of them not see that coming ?
    A small number of dominant individuals or groups have been allowed to exert way too much influence in this country and Unfortunately I don’t see how that can be reversed

Unfortunately I do know what I am talking about - Plenty of experience of dealing with them On a daily basis
    Why have they allowed a handful of individuals control the beef industry ?
    Did any of them not see that coming ?
    A small number of dominant individuals or groups have been allowed to exert way too much influence in this country and Unfortunately I don’t see how that can be reversed

And the farmers had nothing to do with it. They didn't just sit back and allow it happen? It's your industry, your livelihood. Where's the coops.

Easy to blame everyone else isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Mary Lou!

She's a champion harvester of information and equally as good

in spreading the sh*te when it needs to be spread! What a woman! :D

And the farmers had nothing to do with it. They didn't just sit back and allow it happen? It's your industry, your livelihood. Where's the coops.

Easy to blame everyone else isn't it!

How many co ops have been involved in beef processing in this country in the last thirty years ?
    How many co ops could set up a slaughter plant today with the monopoly on offal processing ?
    Policy formulation is the job of the permanent government not individuals .
    It is not Just in agriculture that The civil and public service has been asleep ,
    Even though they are practically unsackable very few of them have the balls to stand up for what is common sense .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I think it’s even deeper than that. We’re always trying to be the class swot, when the eu bring in a new rule, we immediately implement it, the french didn’t and don’t, for example the french didn’t close all their local abattoirs, we did. We got rid of our sugar plant.......and I could go on.....we owe the eu a lot but remember we gave away a lot......fishing rights etc.

We as a nation are afraid to rock the boat......maybe because we are not long a nation......that’s why we have some of the shyte we have to deal with. Nobody wants to upset the apple cart and we have plenty of chancers who are only too happy to take advantage.....

• Advertisement

How many co ops have been involved in beef processing in this country in the last thirty years ?
    How many co ops could set up a slaughter plant today with the monopoly on offal processing ?
    Policy formulation is the job of the permanent government not individuals .
    It is not Just in agriculture that The civil and public service has been asleep ,
    Even though they are practically unsackable very few of them have the balls to stand up for what is common sense .

That's always the way we do it is what you'll be told if you try to change anything

Advertisement