Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Minister For Agriculture?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I think it’s even deeper than that. We’re always trying to be the class swot, when the eu bring in a new rule, we immediately implement it, the french didn’t and don’t, for example the french didn’t close all their local abattoirs, we did. We got rid of our sugar plant.......and I could go on.....we owe the eu a lot but remember we gave away a lot......fishing rights etc.

We as a nation are afraid to rock the boat......maybe because we are not long a nation......that’s why we have some of the shyte we have to deal with. Nobody wants to upset the apple cart and we have plenty of chancers who are only too happy to take advantage.....

There is still local abbatoirs. The difference is the general French public are willing to pay a premium for local food. The Irish don’t.

The EU didn’t shut down the sugar plants, greencore were given the option to get out and they took it.
    But we couldn’t touch northern France when it comes to beet yields.
    It’s easy to blame policy makers when it’s actually market realities that are the causes of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

There is still local abbatoirs. The difference is the general French public are willing to pay a premium for local food. The Irish don’t.

The EU didn’t shut down the sugar plants, greencore were given the option to get out and they took it.
    But we couldn’t touch northern France when it comes to beet yields.
    It’s easy to blame policy makers when it’s actually market realities that are the causes of these things.

I beg to differ, allot of local abattoirs was forced to close to the cost of up grading facilities, I do agree with you re not all people wanting to pay the extra....but we’ve no choice now.

See attached re sugar...:yes it was subsidised but it was an option for crop rotation, maintained food security etc etc. Not to mind jobs etc in places where jobs were scarce.

It’s just us being A+ Europeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Soaring hawk

Any ideas who should be next agriculture minister,
    I know it's not going to happen, but I would like to see Michael Fitz Maurice as minister, he seems to be a very capable articulate person who would actually know what is important to farmers and rural areas
    What do ye think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭White Clover

I know it's not going to happen, but I would like to see Michael Fitz Maurice as minister, he seems to be a very capable articulate person who would actually know what is important to farmers and rural areas
    What do ye think

He had a chance to be in Government in 2016 but backed out at the last minute.
    Why isn't he aligned with other "rural, farming T.D's"?

What do ye think

Wouldn’t consider him particularly articulate or capable. And is not a government TD so why would MM give it to him? It’s going to a FF member.

So who are the FF TD’s that could fill the role?
    Willie O’Dee has previous Cabinet experience but is seen as too much “old” Finna Fail. A Limerick City minister of Ag wont go down well.

Anne Rabbitte ticks the boxes of coming from west of the Shannon and being a woman. She would be my preferred option from the likely candidates.

Jackie Cahill has been mentioned and would certainly know the brief but would he be able to work will all stake holders and not just his previous organization? More importantly would he be able to tell farmers “no”?

Charlie McConalogue was previously spokesperson for Ag. He would have some understanding of the brief, and is from the western seaboard.
    He didn’t exactly set the world alight as spokesperson though.

Eamon O’Cuiv- snowballs chance in hell of MM giving him a gig.

Brendan Smith- has held the role in the past and might be seen as a safe pair of hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Wouldn’t consider him particularly articulate or capable. And is not a government TD so why would MM give it to him? It’s going to a FF member.

Willie O’Dee has previous Cabinet experience but is seen as too much “old” Finna Fail. A Limerick City minister of Ag wont go down well.

Anne Rabbitte ticks the boxes of coming from west of the Shannon and being a woman. She would be my preferred option from the likely candidates.

Jackie Cahill has been mentioned and would certainly know the brief but would he be able to work will all stake holders and not just his previous organization? More importantly would he be able to tell farmers “no”?

Charlie McConalogue was previously spokesperson for Ag. He would have some understanding of the brief, and is from the western seaboard.

Brendan Smith- has held the role in the past and might be seen as a safe pair of hands.

Brendan Smith was part of the last ff government that busted the country and can’t remember him being a particular good minister so no thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I heard they're giving it to Coveney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Jackie Cahill is a farmer himself and has been on many boards... It isn't my line of business but any farmer i know down this way local to him either speaks highly of him or wouldn't pi$$ on him if he was on fire.... Make of that what you will....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: As there's already a similar thread open on this, I'll merge the two now.

Buford T. Justice

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Brendan Smith was part of the last ff government that busted the country and can’t remember him being a particular good minister so no thanks.

I’d agree I thing he was probably the worst one in my time but just saying what might be the thinking with them high up.

• Advertisement

s1ippy wrote: »
    I heard they're giving it to Coveney

Not a hope.
    1 the FF aren’t going to give FG an extra seat or if a re-jig of the cabinet I don’t see who FF will put into the foreign affairs position. TBH Coveney is the best man for that job and we can’t afford to put a rookie in there for the next six months.

Not a hope.
    1 the FF aren’t going to give FG an extra seat or if a re-jig of the cabinet I don’t see who FF will put into the foreign affairs position. TBH Coveney is the best man for that job and we can’t afford to put a rookie in there for the next six months.

FF ministry though...

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

You would have to thinking after the election they would have coping on Sin fein must be having a big laugh at this stage, he will have plenty of time to use the George Forman now.

FF ministry though...

Sorry Buford I don’t understand you point

Sorry Buford I don’t understand you point

The coalition divided up the ministries between each of the parties. FF got the Ag ministry and will be appointing the next Ag minister just like FG got Finance and Foreign Affairs and would appoint another FG TD to fill those positions regardless of what or who the public might want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Its a FF ministery in that if they put a FG or Green in it FF will need another ministery in Exchange.

The real question is who gets big Phil's job. It is unlikly whoever we nominated for his sucessor will get a decent portfolio. Trade will go to another existing comissioner. The only way we would get a decent portfolio is to send a very senior cabinet minister to fill the role. If Leo went he might even retain trade but other than that we get a piece of turd

Slava Ukrainii

Its a FF ministery in that if they put a FG or Green in it FF will need another ministery in Exchange.

The real question is who gets big Phil's job. It is unlikly whoever we nominated for his sucessor will get a decent portfolio. Trade will go to another existing comissioner. The only way we would get a decent portfolio is to send a very senior cabinet minister to fill the role. If Leo went he might even retain trade but other than that we get a piece of turd

FG don't want it, they have all the low profile jobs and know what's coming down the line as regards Ag so they're not going to take it.
    Giving it to the Green's would mean FF would face a massive rural backlash.

There's talks of Leo for Europe. Let's be honest, with FF struggling to find an Ag minister, I doubt they have a suitable candidate for the Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,532 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

FG don't want it, they have all the low profile jobs and know what's coming down the line as regards Ag so they're not going to take it.

There's talks of Leo for Europe. Let's be honest, with FF struggling to find an Ag minister, I doubt they have a suitable candidate for the Commission.

Do tou not thin they are in for a serious backlash anyway ??

I’d have thought Coveney for Europe rather than Leo.

Don’t think the greens are in for a shout for Ag, who would they have.

This government are in a precarious position, it wouldn’t take much now to bring the house of cards down.

_Brian wrote: »
    This government are in a precarious position, it wouldn’t take much now to bring the house of cards down.

Opening the schools will account for the Govt, just give it a few weeks.

Just like Agriculture is seen as a FF job then EU commissioner would be seen to be in the gift of FG. As you say it hard to see FF finding any of there senior ministers suitable. I think there was a definate hatchet job done on Hogan as good as any job he had the history of doing himself. Was Hogan the target from the begining. As Charlie said of BBBertie ''he is the most devious of them all'' could this be true of Leo.

There is no way that Hogan was impaled for the sake of political correctness. He became the target too easy considering that his portfolio was critical in the upcoming negotiations.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The coalition divided up the ministries between each of the parties. FF got the Ag ministry and will be appointing the next Ag minister just like FG got Finance and Foreign Affairs and would appoint another FG TD to fill those positions regardless of what or who the public might want.

I thought I was saying that. That’s what confused me. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Just like Agriculture is seen as a FF job then EU commissioner would be seen to be in the gift of FG. As you say it hard to see FF finding any of there senior ministers suitable. I think there was a definate hatchet job done on Hogan as good as any job he had the history of doing himself. Was Hogan the target from the begining. As Charlie said of BBBertie ''he is the most devious of them all'' could this be true of Leo.

There is no way that Hogan was impaled for the sake of political correctness. He became the target too easy considering that his portfolio was critical in the upcoming negotiations.

It certainly does have the wiff of being a hatchet job of the highest order

I think this plays 1 of 2 ways. Either Leo wants to go to Europe in which case he’ll be gunning for big Phil role or else he’ll push Coveney to go to Europe thus allowing Leo to cement his position in FG

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but it’s clearly a hatchet job imo

_Brian wrote: »
    Do tou not thin they are in for a serious backlash anyway ??

I’d have thought Coveney for Europe rather than Leo.

Don’t think the greens are in for a shout for Ag, who would they have.

Coveney is the only one that’s respected enough in Europe to keep the trade role in Irish hands

Panch18 wrote: »
    It certainly does have the wiff of being a hatchet job of the highest order

I think this plays 1 of 2 ways. Either Leo wants to go to Europe in which case he’ll be gunning for big Phil role or else he’ll push Coveney to go to Europe thus allowing Leo to cement his position in FG

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but it’s clearly a hatchet job imo

If they had wanted to protect Phil Hogan they could have put on the green jersey and declared that no matter what it was not in Ireland national interest that we lose the Trade portfolio. I do not think that Coveney could hold onto the Trade portfolio. However Leo as a former head of Government could pull the strings to hold on to it. It can be painted as I am doing my duty for Ireland another form of wearing the Green Jersey.

It would also leave Leo in position to be commission head after the next EU election in four years time. I must see the odd in the morning

Slava Ukrainii

It would normally be the biggest party in government that would supply the person to be nominated as commissioner but with this coalition it may be hard to know what horse trading would be done to ensure the nomination. I wouldn't imagine it would be covered under the Programme for Government anyway.

Michael Lehane has an article about who's seen to be in the running.

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1298872638585081856?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

It's hard to see that FG would have taken part in the Shennanigans of the last week if they hadn't a deal struck already to ensure they get to keep it a FG post - I think Leo has this mapped out already - to best suit whatever he wants/needs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They'll prob want to avoid a by election as well so not so straight forward. Also commission president is in same grouping as FG so perhaps a better chance of someone from FG getting a decent commission. More than likely someone not a current TD I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Panch18 wrote: »
    It's hard to see that FG would have taken part in the Shennanigans of the last week if they hadn't a deal struck already to ensure they get to keep it a FG post - I think Leo has this mapped out already - to best suit whatever he wants/needs

Leo and Coveney are the only two with the resume to take the Trade job , it would suit Coveney as he was mentored for it by Sutherland but for Leo it would be a stepping stone onto the world stage maybe a bit premature for him but Coveney would get ahead if he turned it down so the rivalry may come into play.
    VDL has apparently asked for 2 nominations ;a man and a woman , that brings Mairead Mc Guinness into play but she may not have the clout and experience for Trade Commissioner so the role would be shuffled and Ireland loses out , so a lot of maneuvering going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,532 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Leo and Coveney are the only two with the resume to take the Trade job , it would suit Coveney as he was mentored for it by Sutherland but for Leo it would be a stepping stone onto the world stage maybe a bit premature for him but Coveney would get ahead if he turned it down so the rivalry may come into play.
    VDL has apparently asked for 2 nominations ;a man and a woman , that brings Mairead Mc Guinness into play but she may not have the clout and experience for Trade Commissioner so the role would be shuffled and Ireland loses out , so a lot of maneuvering going on.

Not particularly a FG voter but Coveney seems a decent balanced politician. Probably better suited to an EU job than a party leader here though as I get the feeling he’s not interested in the pomp stuff that Leo amd other leaders like.

Leo will have built a decent reputation across Europe with the ondemic handling here, that would stand to him. I presume someone like Enda is 100% retired and not interested in European positions ?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Anne Rabbitte has said she's interested in the ag post.

She'll probably get it, woman, from the west.

Hope not though, she's a sickener and a spoofer.

Advertisement