Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Minister For Agriculture?

Options
  • 22-08-2020 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Who would you like to see as the next Minister? Have heard a few suggestions on boards (Chambers, Cahill) and they don’t inspire me. Who would you like to see appointed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Robert troy would do a great job
    Very underestimated td and one to watch out for !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think the position should remain vacant.
    We all know who runs agriculture in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

LG Junior. Everybody in beef to contract raise for the bolt gun......at a loss...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Who would you like to see as the next Minister? Have heard a few suggestions on boards (Chambers, Cahill) and they don’t inspire me. Who would you like to see appointed?

Jackie Cahill ......no too much of an old school ff politician.although I see. Elsewhere pippa hacket been mentioned so Jackie mightn’t be so bad .politics in this country is absolutely fooked
    No opposition bar labour with some bit of credibility .sf can’t open there mouth re current shenanigans as there pure hypocrites if they do after bobby storys funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ann Rabbitte is female and from the west, 2 prerequisites in these woke times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Time to bring in an Independent elected TD.

I'll throw in a far field candidate.
    Verona Murphy. Knows her mind. Knows business. Knows all about agricultural exports through Rosslare. Knows how it's the economy stupid. Won't be afraid of a bit of hard graft and who to talk to. Has cahunas.

The north west had their turn. Give the south east their minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

MfMan wrote: »
    Ann Rabbitte is female and from the west, 2 prerequisites in these woke times.

and could keep them all on their toes, with "a slap around the ankles"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

A friend of mine, his extended family are well known spud growers. Currently the freshly harvested potatoes are sitting in storage because the distributor is importing spuds rather than taking what is available locally. Absolute disgrace hope the new minister for agriculture will tackle issues like that aswell as focusing on dairy and beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Time to bring in an Independent elected TD.

I'll throw in a far field candidate.
    Verona Murphy. Knows her mind. Knows business. Knows all about agricultural exports through Rosslare. Knows how it's the economy stupid. Won't be afraid of a bit of hard graft and who to talk to. Has cahunas.

The north west had their turn. Give the south east their minister.

Leo would love that plan.

There's a lot further from Donegal to Kerry than greystones to cork and greystones and cork have a third of the cabinet ministers between them.

Sure some of them might consider moving (in fact they might be better to ahead of the next election as big names could fall).

They left themselves in a bad position with the original distribution and then calleary has gone and blown of both feet with the golf gate bazooka.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Most likely is Chambers who is chief whip, if he wants to keep Chambers as CW, Anne Rabbit is the most likely after that McConalogue or Troy. Problem with Chambers is you are back to no full minister west of the Shannon. Rabbite or McConalogue are most likely

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Most likely is Chambers who is chief whip, if he wants to keep Chambers as CW, Anne Rabbit is the most likely after that McConalogue or Troy. Problem with Chambers is you are back to no full minister west of the Shannon. Rabbite or McConalogue are most likely

A Dublin minister for agriculture while no minister west of the Shannon, that'd be political suicide. The likes of the Healy raes would use it to highlight an urban rural divide.

There'd be shades of Oliver Cromwell about it too.

Now I think about it you're probably right. This government seem to never pass up an opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭morphy87

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Jackie Cahill ......no too much of an old school ff politician.although I see. Elsewhere pippa hacket been mentioned so Jackie mightn’t be so bad .politics in this country is absolutely fooked
    No opposition bar labour with some bit of credibility .sf can’t open there mouth re current shenanigans as there pure hypocrites if they do after bobby storys funeral

Old school possibly, but out of all the people been mentioned if you asked them to pick a ministerial post I doubt many would pick agriculture except for Cahill,he has a huge knowledge and has sat on a lot of boards,as long as the next minister delivers for farmers that’s the most important thing

A Dublin minister for agriculture while no minister west of the Shannon, that'd be political suicide. The likes of the Healy raes would use it to highlight an urban rural divide.

There'd be shades of Oliver Cromwell about it too.

Now I think about it you're probably right. This government seem to never pass up an opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot.

Would you not consider a more prudent approach considering the current state of both agriculture and forestry that the person who gets the job is based on qualification and intent to get their sleeves rolled up and put in the work up rather than where the person comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Agree, leave it vacant and let the civil servants get on with running the department without having to divert resources to manage whatever drunk driver, local cowboy or careerist chancer from "the West" Fianna Fail manage to chisel off the bottom of the barrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭morphy87

NcdJd wrote: »
    Would you not consider a more prudent approach considering the current state of both agriculture and forestry that the person who gets the job is based on qualification and intent to get their sleeves rolled up and put in the work up rather than where the person comes from?

Exactly, what agriculture needs is someone that will deliver, it shouldn’t make a difference what part of Ireland they are from

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Probably Mc Conalogue, waste of space yes man but it's not like they have much of a pool to choose from, his seat would be shaky which would also add to the likelihood of giving him a ministry,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

morphy87 wrote: »
    Old school possibly, but out of all the people been mentioned if you asked them to pick a ministerial post I doubt many would pick agriculture except for Cahill,he has a huge knowledge and has sat on a lot of boards,as long as the next minister delivers for farmers that’s the most important thing

I can’t see him getting the post. Would be seen as biased by non-ICMSA members.
    To be honest I wouldn’t be overly eager to see him there. Too conservative and had a track record of putting his foot in his mouth fore he became a TD.
    Anne Rabbitte would be the likely candidate IMO.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

personal opinion but have been listened and debated with jackie cahil in the past and found him poor enough.not that hes a cute old boy that knows where his bread is buttered but only my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I’d say it’ll be McConalogue, was spokesperson, from the west, might actually have a clue about the job

Was in college the same time as him, think he did commerce, nice lad from the small dealings I had with him

Truthvader wrote: »
    Agree, leave it vacant and let the civil servants get on with running the department without having to divert resources to manage whatever drunk driver, local cowboy or careerist chancer from "the West" Fianna Fail manage to chisel off the bottom of the barrell.

The only problem with civil servants is they will sit on their arses doing nothing and wallow in their comfort zone if allowed to do so. You need someone to come in and crack the whip on them and put them outside their comfort zone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Interesting point on Twitter earlier: agriculture is very much down the agenda at Gov level so don’t expect anyone too bright to be wasted on that portfolio when there’s plenty more important ministries (in Gov and civil service view) that need whatever few brains are available.

With that in mind, who’s dull, very unlikely to cause any controversy, won’t ask any awkward questions (won’t ask too many questions in general), and will be acceptable to the industry?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

The only problem with civil servants is they will sit on their arses doing nothing and wallow in their comfort zone if allowed to do so. You need someone to come in and crack the whip on them and put them outside their comfort zone.

Who would that be...genuine question

Or even answer this one, which of the ag ministers in recent times (say going back 20 years) delivered for small/medium farmers/farm families?

I dont mean schemes to subsidise below cost production i mean reform that puts things on a sustainable footing and allows for a just transition etc...a fair deal so to speak

I would think McConalogue, former Ag spokesperson for FF, ticks the box geographically. But, with two dodo's down, who knows what sort of thinking is happening at present.

Who would I like to see?........... that will never happen....

Michael Fitzmaurice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

amacca wrote: »

Or even answer this one, which of the ag ministers in recent times (say going back 20 years) delivered for small/medium farmers/farm families?

I dont mean schemes to subsidise below cost production i mean reform that puts things on a sustainable footing and allows for a just transition etc...a fair deal so to speak

Is that even possible? Can 11 suckler cows (the national average) ever be sustainable?

Is that even possible? Can 11 suckler cows (the national average) ever be sustainable?

Depends what you do with them I suppose. Same as everyone else. Then no.

There are a lot of barriers that could be removed to enable small and medium farms to survive and thrive. The most obvious being local abatoirs and on farm slaughter. Easing processes to add value on farm so as to sell direct.

But instead we see this Irish Beef PGI nonsense, which goes the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I would think McConalogue, former Ag spokesperson for FF, ticks the box geographically. But, with two dodo's down, who knows what sort of thinking is happening at present.

Who would I like to see?........... that will never happen....

Michael Fitzmaurice.

Was chatting to a neighbour of his yesterday. Reckons that he would be the man for the job. Said he hasn't his toe in any party and never had. He is a politician of the people and especially the people of rural Ireland. I think Anne Rabbitte is probably next in the ever shortening line.

amacca wrote: »

I have no idea Amacca to be frank. because apart from seeing these people during election campaigns i don't know the substance of them.

And I agree with you that nothing is being done apart from the odd marketing campaign from bord bia. But when I hear of tons of spuds sitting in a shed from a family that has been farming for three generations that can't be sold and my father in dunnes this morning looking at French imported spuds something has to give.

I live in hope but I'm probably being naive.

But ive dealt with civil servants over the years and can say they are not civil and they don't bloody serve.

Interesting point on Twitter earlier: agriculture is very much down the agenda at Gov level so don’t expect anyone too bright to be wasted on that portfolio when there’s plenty more important ministries (in Gov and civil service view) that need whatever few brains are available.

With that in mind, who’s dull, very unlikely to cause any controversy, won’t ask any awkward questions (won’t ask too many questions in general), and will be acceptable to the industry?

That's a terrible view they have in my opinion Siamsa. Agriculture should be one of the priority ministries as so many people depend on it for they're jobs and livelihoods. I'm from Dublin but do they expect everyone from rural Ireland to commute to dublin for their incomes? They need someone sharp with a good work ethic to take on the various problems. Otherwise rewild ireland and the likes will have wolves roaming the country and well be eating our beef and vegetables that has originated Brazil and Holland. We have the finest food in the world.

Anyway apologies to anyone if I've hijacked or seem heavy handed in my postings. Just my blood is boiling about the state of the current government. I'll log off now and do some work. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Do you honestly think ministers crack the whip?, its the permanent government who run the country and its the employees of the permanent government. I. E private secretary who writes the speeches and tells the minister what to say:)

Advertisement