Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,191 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They always do a sports ‘review’ on a Monday, Bee.

Is that your query?

Just sounds out place with Byrne..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

walshb wrote: »

Agreed, unless of course its the Crochet Olympics :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes, it does, they do it every Monday around 1130.

Couldn’t see Clare heading to Croker in a Laois jersey, though.

Could be wrong though.

Yes, it does, they do it every Monday around 1130.

Couldn’t see Clare heading to Croker in a Laois jersey, though.

Could be wrong though.

Laois would need to get to crocker in the first place :)

What’s with the pushing the sport agenda on this show?

Deflection and Positive new from the Covid situation clusterfvck management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

In relation to time change, I hope common sense is used if and when it happens and permanent "Winter Time" is retained all year round. People always going on about long bright evenings, but not realising that it is more important to have extra daylight in the mornings. If permanent "Summer Time" is retained we will not have sunrise here in Ireland in November/ December/January until almost 10 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

In relation to time change, I hope common sense is used if and when it happens and permanent "Winter Time" is retained all year round. People always going on about long bright evenings, but not realising that it is more important to have extra daylight in the mornings. If permanent "Summer Time" is retained we will not have sunrise here in Ireland in November/ December/January until almost 10 am.

Irish Standard Time is the summer time so I dont see why we would adopt winter time permanently. Also, some EU countries would be 1 hours ahead and other 2 hours ahead making business more difficult. In contrast summer time may result in Ireland being on Par with some EU countries and no change for others.

There are plenty of people that start work before sun rise. The dark mornings might upset some people but longer evenings would be better for mental health. As for business here, some may chose to adjust business working hours to compensate for the change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Irish Standard Time is the summer time so I dont see why we would adopt winter time permanently. Also, some EU countries would be 1 hours ahead and other 2 hours ahead making business more difficult. In contrast summer time may result in Ireland being on Par with some EU countries and no change for others.

There are plenty of people that start work before sun rise. The dark mornings might upset some people but longer evenings would be better for mental health. As for business here, some may chose to adjust business working hours to compensate for the change

Adjusting business working hours would completely defeat the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

There are somewhat objective (as in measureable) considerations like road safety, that might lean towards Winter time, eg children walking/cycling to school.

And then people's own preference. "Morning" people might prefer Winter time and evening types might prefer Summer time. But, that is totally subjective at the end of the day imo.

In a previous discussion I noticed a number of people who want this change to happen because they want more time for sporting activity in the evenings. But, if we end up with Winter time, they will actually have less. So, be careful what you wish for....

Read this story about what happened at the Central mental hospital yesterday, just appalling state of affairs. Has it come to Gardai having to basically sneak into this hospital with a patient awaiting a bed for over a year and on foot of a court order, Just shocking and outrageous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Claire doesn't understand why passports for non essential travel are not been processed.......says everything.

Now the vested intetests are appearing in time for April 5th! ,completely oblivious to what is happening in the community and with there own take on medical science !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Here we go; yet another "But I can't have my wedding." feature, complete with Tara Fay whinging about not being able to milk some Bridezilla's for whatever she can.

Here we go; yet another "But I can't have my wedding." feature, complete with Tara Fay whinging about not being able to milk some Bridezilla's for whatever she can.

Always good when a contributor to this S**** line drops

Infoanon wrote: »
    Claire doesn't understand why passports for non essential travel are not been processed.......says everything.

Now the vested intetests are appearing in time for April 5th! ,completely oblivious to what is happening in the community and with there own take on medical science !

In fairness, passports are not just required for travel and it would seem the majority of complaints to do with ID requirements. I do wonder also is there not a constitutional issue here, perhaps I'm incorrect, but I would have assumed Irish citizens entitled to a passport, seems a grey area a government department unilaterally deciding we'll stop processing passports, whatever about travel restrictions etc.

One hopes travelling to look at volcanic activity is classified as essential travel :)

Wasn't listening, but I don't understand it either. Can you explain?

What's going to happen whenever we do open up for travel and people can't because their passports are out of date and there is a huge backlog?

plodder wrote: »

What's going to happen whenever we do open up for travel and people can't because their passports are out of date and there is a huge backlog?

For some inexplicable reason an enormous backlog has occurred with processing of passports, whilst it's been hinted the office was essentially closed with staff not attending office, it's never really been clarified, some suggestions staff were seconded to other departments which is highly doubtful.

Taking aside Travel Restrictions, passports are required for a host of other purposes, the restrictions argument is I believe mute as I think it highly questionable a government or a department of same can unilaterally decide to stop processing ligitimate applications because its inconvenient or to do with temporary restrictions legislation, which I believe they've never actually admitted too.

Backlogs have been flagged for months so why its only occurring to Claire now is a mystery, the lack of any information coming from the department of foreign affairs is not helping either.

There is no need to issue passports for non essential travel when non essential travel is not allowed.

As mentioned on the show any backlog will be cleared very quickly, seeing that our neighbours are about to extend their travel ban to July with fines of £5,000 for breaking the rules clearing the backlog is not going to be a concern anytime soon.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    For some inexplicable reason an enormous backlog has occurred with processing of passports, whilst it's been hinted the office was essentially closed with staff not attending office, it's never really been clarified, some suggestions staff were seconded to other departments which is highly doubtful.

Taking aside Travel Restrictions, passports are required for a host of other purposes, the restrictions argument is I believe mute as I think it highly questionable a government or a department of same can unilaterally decide to stop processing ligitimate applications because its inconvenient or to do with temporary restrictions legislation, which I believe they've never actually admitted too.

Backlogs have been flagged for months so why its only occurring to Claire now is a mystery, the lack of any information coming from the department of foreign affairs is not helping either.
    Whatever about the legal question, I think it's very short sighted politically to treat the population that way. We hear all the time about restrictions being a blunt instrument, but most of them at least can be lifted instantly. Like seriously, imagine if by the late Autumn, the only thing stopping you from traveling is a six month delay in renewing your passport.......!

Whatever about the legal question, I think it's very short sighted politically to treat the population that way. We hear all the time about restrictions being a blunt instrument, but most of them at least can be lifted instantly. Like seriously, imagine if by the late Autumn, the only thing stopping you from traveling is a six month delay in renewing your passport.......!

This is perhaps why there's actually been no statement, clarification from government as to what is behind this and more importantly what is going on.

• Advertisement

There is no need to issue passports for non essential travel when non essential travel is not allowed.

As mentioned on the show any backlog will be cleared very quickly, seeing that our neighbours are about to extend their travel ban to July with fines of £5,000 for breaking the rules clearing the backlog is not going to be a concern anytime soon.

Again, the travel aspect is only part of the issue here, people require passports for a host of other reasons.

I don't see how that could be true unless they really are processing applications, but just holding them back because the backlog is just going to grow, when we don't know for sure what the end date is.

But, yes, it won't be a concern, until it becomes a concern ...

Are the UK not processing renewals?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

It sounds a bit like the comment a politician made about people with the feet up watching box sets.. I wonder what the lads in the passport office are watching :D

I don't see how that could be true unless they really are processing applications, but just holding them back because the backlog is just going to grow, when we don't know for sure what the end date is.

But, yes, it won't be a concern, until it becomes a concern ...

Are the UK not processing renewals?

The crux of the issue is no one is admitting openly there is a policy to cease applications and processing of passports, vague hints etc is all that's coming out and the passport office is just not functioning for whatever requirements applicants need their passports, it's not just those wishing to travel (of which I suspect there's very few) but others requiring passport for other applications, ID requirements etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,379 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

When God be as giving out the ability to ask stupid questions, Claire went back for not just second but third helpings.

She was at it straightened away this morning on the hotel quarintine asking a few right ones as well

Slava Ukrainii

When God be as giving out the ability to ask stupid questions, Claire went back for not just second but third helpings.
    As has been pointed out, passports are required for various reasons. You can't get a mortgage approval without a passport, and if you start a new job you may also be required to present a national ID (there's no chance of getting a driver's licence, if you don't have one). I'm pretty sure you effectively have to produce a passport for opening a bank account too, if you don't have a driver's licence. It's an important document in it's own right, quite apart from being a travel document.

Also, the reason why Claire Byrne kept returning to the topic was to try and discover whether the Passport Office employees have been redeployed, or whether they are just inactive.

I thought it had been stated, last year, that Passport Office employees would be redeployed to the Department of Social Protection, but perhaps not.

Also, the reason why Claire Byrne kept returning to the topic was to try and discover whether the Passport Office employees have been redeployed, or whether they are just inactive.

I thought it had been stated, last year, that Passport Office employees would be redeployed to the Department of Social Protection, but perhaps not.

The only reason Claire kept returning to the topic was to take cheap shots at the workers with her "are they on the p u p scheme " .

Would never happened in the days of PK or SOR.

Afaik you are correct that they have been redeployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,379 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As has been pointed out, passports are required for various reasons. You can't get a mortgage approval without a passport, and if you start a new job you may also be required to present a national ID (there's no chance of getting a driver's licence, if you don't have one). I'm pretty sure you effectively have to produce a passport for opening a bank account too, if you don't have a driver's licence. It's an important document in it's own right, quite apart from being a travel document.

I am afraid I did not listen that long after 4-5 minutes of the quarantine hotels I switched off from her.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

There's an exception to every rule :)

Mind you, he only started doing it when he was seriously old.

Here's a link to a newspaper story, and the subject of a few threads elsewhere on this site, with a video of a vicious assault, the perpetrator of which has just been jailed for his crime.

For the purpose of this thread I will only say: note the headgear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

err re: passports, they are processing renewals if you have the biometric passport , My OH got hers done in 3 days a couple of weeks ago.

if you need to send paperwork with it it seems to be a whole different ball game.

Advertisement