Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The funniest thing about today's gathering today was Shane Ross complaining about Damien and Louise playing the blame game about Christmas and saying how sad it was when only about 5 minutes early he was doing the same against the government himself.

The most interest thing was Damien English saying in a throw away remark that other countries accept a higher level of mortality than Ireland so can have less restrictions. I think he's right but it's the first time I heard any politician mentioning it and I think it's worth a lot more discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Infoanon wrote: »
    Damien English well able to stand his ground this morning, well briefed and confident on Covid.

The only criticism would be where has he (and others) been for the last few weeks.

On the leak he came a bit unstuck but that might have been by design - so cynical.

Correct ,Info

Ruling parties should never send slobbery operators in to bat on these programmes.

Send in first team players or send in nobody.

Only proven performers should be let near a mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Klonker wrote: »
    The funniest thing about today's gathering today was Shane Ross complaining about Damien and Louise playing the blame game about Christmas and saying how sad it was when only about 5 minutes early he was doing the same against the government himself.
    n.

Shane Ross was pointing to the time being wasted on the spat between Damien and Louise over who said what and it would be far better now to concentrate on the now and not to reopen to early like the government did at Christmas against Nphet advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Damien is cutting O’Reilly a new one.

Amazing the number of people who ‘contact’ her....

Exactly, no matter how pissed off you might be what Leo said why on earth would contact your TD about it? They must al be related to the bucks in Castlebar who always seemed to approach Enda after a few jars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Agreed but THE HR"s not the only embarrassment in the Dail and regrettably theirs and others performances are televised and to my horror by default available world wide. I've actually had friends in Europe and US ask is this for real and I'm not kidding

Genuine question but seriously? I mean how would they be aware of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Genuine question but seriously? I mean how would they be aware of them?

All ex pats, married to European /American citizens

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

So, I'm intrigued, the deal seems to have been struck with a hotel group (incidentally up for sale at the moment) to manage quarantine.

Genuine Questions

So you arrive from one of the affected countries, have limited funds etc, what happens next? deported? and don't see an IOU system being entertained, who then pays for the deportation?

What if a Traveller refuses to pay?

Seems more logical if your a citizen from a named country, your not permitted to fly in the first place with a clear communication to either affected country and or all airlines, really quite simple, this hotel quarantine system seems not very well thought out, despite the inordinate amount of weeks putting it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

So, I'm intrigued, the deal seems to have been struck with a hotel group (incidentally up for sale at the moment) to manage quarantine.

Genuine Questions

So you arrive from one of the affected countries, have limited funds etc, what happens next? deported? and don't see an IOU system being entertained, who then pays for the deportation?

What if a Traveller refuses to pay?

Seems more logical if your a citizen from a named country, your not permitted to fly in the first place with a clear communication to either affected country and or all airlines, really quite simple, this hotel quarantine system seems not very well thought out, despite the inordinate amount of weeks putting it together.

I would imagine that you'd be repatriated, bar humanitarian exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Clock moving back/forward The same shyte every single march/April. Handy 20 mins filler.

O very tetchy, kind of extraordinary any expert defending the EU at the moment, Boris, like or Loath him, pulled a blinder in relation to Vacinne deals and indeed roll out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

O very tetchy, kind of extraordinary any expert defending the EU at the moment, Boris, like or Loath him, pulled a blinder in relation to Vacinne deals and indeed roll out
    The Monet guy is not doing the EU's image any favours.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The Monet guy is not doing the EU's image any favours.

Fully agree, pretty shocking and childish performance, the English chap (didn't get his name) destroyed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Clock moving back/forward The same shyte every single march/April. Handy 20 mins filler.

And usually a mention when the clock moves back as well. As you say, filler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Fully agree, pretty shocking and childish performance, the English chap (didn't get his name) destroyed him.
    And he's a complete dope! --> (Andrew Bridgen):D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

AFAIK it's the last time clocks move back. We must decide between now and Autumn if we move clocks forward for the winter whichever decision we make we are tied to that time from them on

Slava Ukrainii

AFAIK it's the last time clocks move back. We must decide between now and Autumn if we move clocks forward for the winter whichever decision we make we are tied to that time from them on

Ireland surely will keep aligned with what NI/UK does. For one thing we share a land border with NI. Would be inconvenient at the least to be out of step with the six counties time zone.

The EU lad was like a spoilt child throwing a tantrum whenever the English lad mentioned the UK are way ahead with their vaccines programme

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Yes and no - they didn't get into it properly (kinda touched on it at the end) but the EU has recommended that clock change be abolished and I think that will be mandatory.

Each country has to decide individually whether to stay on winter or summertime permanently.

If its mandatory for us and UK doesn't also do it, it'll be messy.

So it will be a big deal in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Yes and no - they didn't get into it properly (kinda touched on it at the end) but the EU has recommended that clock change be abolished and I think that will be mandatory.

Each country has to decide individually whether to stay on winter or summertime permanently.

If its mandatory for us and UK doesn't also do it, it'll be messy.

So it will be a big deal in the next few years.
    I didn't hear most of the segment, but I thought the EU council had scrapped the whole idea for now anyway. Is that not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,192 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What’s with the pushing the sport agenda on this show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

plodder wrote: »
    I didn't hear most of the segment, but I thought the EU council had scrapped the whole idea for now anyway. Is that not the case?

Certain elements aren't dropping it, as that clown was trying to associate waking up one hour earlier once a year as bad for your health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

It was shockingly bad. "Sour grapes" was the correct description.

It seems quite extraordinary there's not a world regularity body that deals with Vacinne approvals, bizzare a vacinne can be rolled out in one country and not another.

It was shockingly bad. "Sour grapes" was the correct description.

As long as they are not EU Grapes :)

Thats it, switching off, these guy depresses me

Certain elements aren't dropping it, as that clown was trying to associate waking up one hour earlier once a year as bad for your health.
    Must listen back to it. I think the whole issue is a classic example of the disadvantage of what you are currently doing being very obvious (losing an hour of sleep once a year), but the disadvantages of what people want to change to (eg permanent summer time) are not obvious at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

What was the name of the man debating with the Tory over the vaccine,he came across very poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

walshb wrote: »
    What’s with the pushing the sport agenda on this show?

They always do a sports ‘review’ on a Monday, Bee.

Is that your query?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ireland surely will keep aligned with what NI/UK does. For one thing we share a land border with NI. Would be inconvenient at the least to be out of step with the six counties time zone.

No every EU country must have one standard time zone from the start of 2022 on according to EU legislation. Ireland has tried to make a case about the North since Brexit. So far the EU is holding steady as it effect a few countries

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

No every EU country must have one standard time zone from the start of 2022 on according to EU legislation. Ireland has tried to make a case about the North since Brexit. So far the EU is holding steady as it effect a few countries
    I'm pretty sure the idea has been shelved. The EU parliament voted for it, but the council of ministers hasn't come to any agreement yet.

Advertisement