Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Who does he sue for that. The pressure came from Ireland's not his employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Neck as thick as an asses collar that lad innit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He already owes the taxpayer for the fiasco surrounding the creation of the superquango that is Irish Water. Created in a cloud of corruption and cronyism.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

He made a fool of himself running for cover in Brussels... i hope he goes for it and makes an eejit out of himself again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It was vonder Leyen who lost confidence in him after he was creative with the truth (so to speak) and he had to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I suppose just because our shower let the clifden mob off doesn't mean the EU has to. Also it was more his tour also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Judge Mary Fahey another joke sitting in the courts. We have plenty of them. All cronies.

She may aswell have got up on the lot of them in the courtroom.

The bould Phil is now emboldened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

What I recall from the time is that if he didn't resign, he could lose his EU pension. von der Leyen it seems may have overstepped her powers a bit by forcing his resignation without due process.

Getting Hogan sacked was an own goal for Leo/Fine Gael.* As EU Trade Commissioner, I don't think Hogan would have taken any nonsense from Frost/Davis/Johnson/Truss. As a former Agric./Fishery Commissioner, he would have known his stuff as well and might have been better able to explain the border issues when it comes to Agric & food.

edit: *and Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

He’s looking to get a few bob to put solar panels on his house. He’s replacing the solid fuel stove and as it’ll cost a few bob the money will have to come from somewhere after the Fianna Fáil appointed judge acquitted all of them including Hop along Cassidy and they’ll ride the Irish taxpayer bareback.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I think you overstate his abilities just a tad.

Muahaha at the time hit the nail on the head. Incompetent nitwit who was caught "offside" again, and did his usual bluff, bluster and lie routine to get off the hook.

No loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nordiestar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

His employer Von Der Leyden called him into a meeting she had three high powered EU officials. He was made explain actions that are now deemed not to have been illegal.

He was bullied into handing in his resignation. That is constructive dismissal

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Whether he has a legitimate case or not his general behaviour and manner over the years will ensure he will get zero sympathy from the public at large .Personally I hope he gets short shift with his compo claim can't stand him .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

I don't think he's looking for any sympathy from the public at large.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It wasn't Golfgate that got him resigned. It was the persistent lies that followed about his movements. It felt like literally a new story every single day, then him being found out, then denial, then a new story, new discovery that was also a lie, new denial. Only at the end was an apology dragged out of him.

He's also on record in an RTE interview that he resigned and that he wasn't pushed.

Just another greedy sow trying to get more from the tough. He's a multi-millionaire on the back of politics. But his reputation is, like Bertie Ahern's in tatters. He should learn to stay quiet.

If he was as good as they say he is then several multi-nationals would have him on their boards as an 'advisor'. They don't, which goes to show a lot of the media praise for him was written by friends, not by those doing a detailed analysis.

Not a fan of Gavan Reilly, but this is a concise overview of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Public opinion is not the law.

This will not go to court, Big Phil will ride into the sunset with 3 years pay less what EU pension he has been paid. He will probably be compensated as well if his pension would have been higher because if him not serving his full term.

1-2 million I would say.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

This. He was lying repeatedly to his boss and the public and was found out. In Ireland this has no consequences, in almost all other high profile working landscapes, it does. He's baffled as to how it happened and bizarrely feels hard done by as this is what Phil and his ilk are used to here. A parasitical nasty and odious little creature.

• Advertisement

He resigned, he wasn't fired.

He will have to prove it was constructive. I'm not sure how it works with EU Commissioners, I just know the Irish government can't have him removed. It will be interesting to see if Von der Leyen lets it go to court. If she does then the whole web of lies, deceit, corrections and apologies will come out again. If he wants to embarrass himself again on a european level, then that's up to him.

I have no doubt that in all the bureaucratic tape that's in Brussels, that the Commissioners have their roles well protected and that the cards are possibly lined up so Hogan can claim 'constructive' dismissal. Will be interesting to see if a court case arises and if it's held in camera or not. The one thing they are all good at is protecting themselves.

It would be interesting to see who is behind the Liberation interview; who set it up and who agreed to it. It's obvious the journalist is either biased pro-Hogan or else they are incompetent when it comes to checking facts.

My gut feeling is Hogan has hawked his CV around various institutions, 'think-tanks' and boardrooms and nobody is touching him with a bargepole. This is his final roll of the dice to squeeze more money out of taxpayers and some very powerful and influential people are out to help him. Watch this space for more soft articles on him and interviews with him.

Me arse it will. I would much rather see the authorities here investigate some of the contracts he oversaw during his Irish Water setup. We are waiting an awful long time for the Siteserv inquiry. I am shocked that his clown still has sleeveen supporters.

This is what Hogan said during the interview when asked about being stopped by a Garda for using his mobile phone when driving around Ireland.

"If they knew I was a European Commissioner or a politician, they wouldn't be stopping me.” 

😉

New Politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Phil Hogan and some of his buddies are falling into the trap of thinking the official court case exonerated them of all fault.

Phil Hogan and some of his buddies would do well to remember that the most important court is that of public opinion.

And the public at large were and are rightly pissed off at their contempt for what the rest of us were supposed to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Why does the name Mary Fahey ring a bell for me, was she involved in some controversy before? And is she married to a politician?

Anyway Phil is just doing is neck like a jockeys bollocks routine. Ultimately he had to resign becasue he lied when coming up with his cover story for doing a golf tour of Ireland during a pandemic. When he said he was in Kildare someone spotted him in a restaurant in Clare and there was other lies as well. He did himself in but his own arrogance just cannot accept that, its very similar to what Alan Shatter did and we are seeing the same poor me routine now that Shatter always bangs on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Mary is a bit of a madam

• Registered Users Posts: 26,931 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Well poor Phil, actually had expected him to start playing the poor mouth the minute the golf gate court case concluded. He's got some neck, I'll give him that but there's a brewing storm within FG , John Dowling (indo) did an interview with lovable (Not) Hogan and there's reports from recent parliamentary party a few elected representatives not at all happy with Leo's handling and subsequent comments , all terribly ironic given his own little matter, still, yes , still under investigation 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Classic power swap immunity from a sense of responsibility or ethics in public office.

• Advertisement

jesus it's only reading the post above that would remind me Leo was still a TD let alone leader of FG

Advertisement