Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Doesn't matter. Are visitors not subject to the same rule of the road as citizens?

Oh they should be IMO, whether they are tourists, foreigners working/living here temporarily, diplomats, or EU Commissioners. However practical matters do come into play in enforcing the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Oh they should be IMO, whether they are tourists, foreigners working/living here temporarily, diplomats, or EU Commissioners. However practical matters do come into play in enforcing the law.

Are tourists not punished for breaking the law here?

Harris seems like guy who wouldn't tolerate his people showing discretion for something like this.

Drew Harris has a moral compass. Thank heavens

Yes and I'm surprised disruption on traffic offences wasn't killed of long ago.

Can he not just order an end to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

How do you punish them. Get them extradited back to Ireland to face charges. Penalty points on a foreign licence is meaningless. Isn't there even a huge problem with cars from NI not paying tolls?

• Advertisement

Harris seems like guy who wouldn't tolerate his people showing discretion for something like this.

You mean not trust his own police? He was a member of a police force that was disbanded because it was completely distrusted by about half the population of NI. Be very careful for what you wish for.

He worked for (and could still be!) MI5. Lets not confer honours on him that we haven't a clue about. By informing the Gov. he was covering his ass (and I don't blame him for that).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

As per jm08's reply my thought was the main punishment (for this offense) of the penalty points doesn't really mean anything if the driving licence you are using is not Irish and you are not driving your own car (edit: and leaving the country soon in specific case of a tourist). I didn't know there was EUR60 spot fine though.

jm08 wrote: »
    He worked for (and could still be!) MI5. Lets not confer honours on him that we haven't a clue about. By informing the Gov. he was covering his ass (and I don't blame him for that).

Box, if you don’t mind

How do you punish them. Get them extradited back to Ireland to face charges. Penalty points on a foreign licence is meaningless. Isn't there even a huge problem with cars from NI not paying tolls?

On the spot fines. Large ones.

One way to do it.

• Advertisement

You mean not trust his own police? He was a member of a police force that was disbanded because it was completely distrusted by about half the population of NI. Be very careful for what you wish for.

Your comment makes zero sense.

I never said anything about trust or expressed a wishing of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Box, if you don’t mind

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Their address was PO Box 500, London. Hence were, and still are, referred to by some as “Box”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He seems so but why doesnt he just come out and say that the law is clear on driving with a phone and finally give up this charade of Garda discretion. Not for the first time we have a politician getting off a road traffic offense because they benefited from this magical discretion.

As said before unless Hogan was on the phone to 999 there is no good reason for him being on the phone whilst driving his car. A blueooth kit is 20 euro if its not already built into the dashboard. The time for excuses on this stuff is long gone and Harris should be making that clear to all Gardai and citizens. The RSA ads make it clear but it seems the Gardai are still not on the same page here.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    He seems so but why doesnt he just come out and say that the law is clear on driving with a phone and finally give up this charade of Garda discretion. Not for the first time we have a politician getting off a road traffic offense because they benefited from this magical discretion.

As said before unless Hogan was on the phone to 999 there is no good reason for him being on the phone whilst driving his car. A blueooth kit is 20 euro if its not already built into the dashboard. The time for excuses on this stuff is long gone and Harris should be making that clear to all Gardai and citizens. The RSA ads make it clear but it seems the Gardai are still not on the same page here.

So, what happens if someone like Richard Neal (the very influential Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee of US Congress) was over visiting his relatives. Would you stick him with a fine, bearing in mind he has a big say in US trade agreements and he actually is a politician in a different jurisdiction?

I personally would prefer if the Gardai had some discretion on how they dealt with people visiting the country and not have him telling his story which he tells about frequently about the British Army searching the bus (full of US Congress Reps) when crossing from Donegal into NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Poor aul simple Simon

Overlooked again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Poor aul simple Simon

Overlooked again

He wasn't overlooked, He said he didn't want it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

wrangler wrote: »
    He wasn't overlooked, He said he didn't want it

What I mean is his ego got in his way and he got a dreadful land - not for the first time

Who the fcuk does he think he is that the EU commission would clear the way and give him a big portfolio????

He’s a nobody outside Ireland let’s be real

Even within Ireland he’s seen as a gobsh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What I mean is his ego got in his way and he got a dreadful land - not for the first time

Who the fcuk does he think he is that the EU commission would clear the way and give him a big portfolio????

Thats quite a chip you have on your shoulder there. Should maybe get it looked at.

Tbf look how far Phil Hogan got in Europe having done an abysmal job domestically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Poor aul simple Simon

Overlooked again

Rather harsh assessments.

What are they based on?

I wouldn't even bother arguing with anyone that would spout such a begrudging post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Why should it matter who you are? Rules are rules. They're not that difficult to understand or even to adhere to.

The assumption by some politician, irrespective of nationality, that they can get off with whatever law they've broken, is proof of their arrogance and I supposed power.

Any garda who allows anyone off just because of who they are, ia, in my eyes, as scummy as the transgressor.

What are they afraid of? Why not have the b@lls to do their job properly and be unwilling to now down to arrogant jumped-up toe rags.

Why should it matter who you are? Rules are rules. They're not that difficult to understand or even to adhere to.

The assumption by some politician, irrespective of nationality, that they can get off with whatever law they've broken, is proof of their arrogance and I supposed power.

Any garda who allows anyone off just because of who they are, ia, in my eyes, as scummy as the transgressor.

What are they afraid of? Why not have the b@lls to do their job properly and be unwilling to now down to arrogant jumped-up toe rags.

Ffs there's drivers on the phone every day of the week and there's drivers breaking speed limits too , and what do they get, a few points, they don't lose their job.

wrangler wrote: »
    Ffs there's drivers on the phone every day of the week and there's drivers breaking speed limits too , and what do they get, a few points, they don't lose their job.

He didn’t lose his job because he was on the phone. He lost it because he was evasive with the facts about his entire visit and had to have the truth dragged out of him. No boss would put up with that level of ducking and diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Was this posted?

Ceann Comhairle putting it on the record that the Dáil, and the people, viewed the actions of the Clifden Covid 81 as 'arrogant delusion' and stupid.

https://youtu.be/leoEC8SgQTc

Great to see it.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Was this posted?

Ceann Comhairle putting it on the record that the Dáil, and the people, viewed the actions of the Clifden Covid 81 as 'arrogant delusion' and stupid.

https://youtu.be/leoEC8SgQTc

Great to see it.

Nice one.

Where are the rest of the TDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Why is this thread still active?

Surely Phil cant resign twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

McGuinnes chosen. Will get a capital markets portfolio
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0908/1163858-european-commission-vacancy/

Trade goes to Latvian Valdis Dombrovskis. As I am sure that some moaners on here will be happy that Mr. Dombrovskis will both have a greater knowledge of Ireland specific concerns over Brexit and care more about Ireland than Phil Hogan did :rolleyes:

Ah sure I suppose you'll be happy for the country in the Brexit negotiations when the Irish Phil has been replaced by the French or Dutch or Greek version of Phil. I'm sure that those versions will be more worried about Ireland than the original Phil was.

You should always be careful what you wish for in case you get it!
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Maybe you should have read my post.

Hogan.

Doesn't.

Give.

A.

Damn.

About.

Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

McGuinnes chosen. Will get a capital markets portfolio
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0908/1163858-european-commission-vacancy/

Trade goes to Latvian Valdis Dombrovskis. As I am sure that some moaners on here will be happy that Mr. Dombrovskis will both have a greater knowledge of Ireland specific concerns over Brexit and care more about Ireland than Phil Hogan did :rolleyes:

Yes, but he is also VP of the commision so not just given to Latvia. One would imagine that Mc Dowell being a former EIB VP would have been more suited to the Financial role than McGuinness but that's politics.
    The way Brexit is going it doesn't look like it makes much difference who's trade commissioner, borders and security might be more relevant.

Advertisement