Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHIL HOGAN NEEDS TO RESIGN.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

So Ireland gets a minor Commission post and loses the senior and influential Trade portfolio.

Still, at least we go rid of Hogan. Didn't we do well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

1641 wrote: »
    So Ireland gets a minor Commission post and loses the senior and influential Trade portfolio.

Well Financial stability would be an important portfolio too.

It just so happens that at this point in time, Brexit is looming large from an Irish perspective and it would have suited us to have a strong voice there that understands the Irish issues. The Commissioners represent the whole EU but if someone doesn't have a full grasp of one issue, they might not support it as well. For a non-Irish politicians they might care more about cars and wine flowing to the UK than the impact of putting up a border between north and south here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

At this stage, every single issue involving Ireland and the border issue and impact on Ireland nevermind the EU's single market as a whole is known which has been driven by Ireland (the permmanent govt and last and current govt).
    People forget the huge Irish diplomatic & staff presence in Brussels.
    The final decision on anything is held by the Council and just one dissenter (eg Ireland) can scupper anything deliterious to this nation re-Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Well Financial stability would be an important portfolio too.

It just so happens that at this point in time, Brexit is looming large from an Irish perspective and it would have suited us to have a strong voice there that understands the Irish issues. The Commissioners represent the whole EU but if someone doesn't have a full grasp of one issue, they might not support it as well. For a non-Irish politicians they might care more about cars and wine flowing to the UK than the impact of putting up a border between north and south here.

Not really. They took the key function of representing the commission at the Eurogroup away from her and gave it to a commissioner they had faith in. Basically she has been left with a largely administrative low rank role.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

1641 wrote: »

Hogan got rid of himself, no one forced him to break lockdown regulations, no one forced him to use a mobile while driving and no one forced him to tell lies to his boss across no less than nine public statements that were supposed to draw a line under the matter. This is all on Phil, nobody else.

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    Not really. They took the key function of representing the commission at the Eurogroup away from her and gave it to a commissioner they had faith in. Basically she has been left with a largely administrative low rank role.

They didn't take anything away from her. I think you might not understand how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Hogan got rid of himself, no one forced him to break lockdown regulations, no one forced him to use a mobile while driving and no one forced him to tell lies to his boss across no less than nine public statements that were supposed to draw a line under the matter. This is all on Phil, nobody else.

I really don't understand why people keep saying "Ireland lost the Trade portfolio".

Doesn't the post of Commissioner mean you work for the EU, not your native country?

And if a Commissioner uses the position for the benefit of his/her country, isn't that corruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I really don't understand why people keep saying "Ireland lost the Trade portfolio".

Doesn't the post of Commissioner mean you work for the EU, not your native country?

And if a Commissioner uses the position for the benefit of his/her country, isn't that corruption?

That sounds like another organisation that's trying to close the factories, you need to overlook some things to stay in business.
    I'm sure hogan was always available to meet the Irish, --

wrangler wrote: »
    That sounds like another organisation that's trying to close the factories, you need to overlook some things to stay in business.
    I'm sure hogan was always available to meet the Irish, --

I do not understand the first part.

I do not understand the first part.

Sorry I thought I was on Farming and Forestry forum.
    Phil Hogan shouldn't have done what he done but he didn't do anyone any harm either, he didn't murder anyone.
    Having him where he was , was an advantage, he was always approachable, so what if he broke a few unimportant rules.
    In farming at the moment we have a few craw thumping farmers trying to close meat factories in spite of needing them to process close on 40000 cattle every week otherwise there would be farmers broke, not only that but they are telling beef processors to pay their workers more, they haven't the wit to realise that to pay the workers more they have to pay the farmers less.
    The message I was trying to get across was you have to ignore the small infringements to let big things run smoothly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yes, Mairead McGuinnes has to take an oath of allegiance to the EU and it is them who she represents, not the Irish govt. In fact Tony Connolly on RTE just said as Commissioner there are several issues within the EU that she will be going head to head with the Irish govt on. Thats what the job is, to represent the EU block as a whole, not your own country.

Yes, Mairead McGuinnes has to take an oath of allegiance to the EU and it is them who she represents, not the Irish govt. In fact Tony Connolly on RTE just said as Commissioner there are several issues within the EU that she will be going head to head with the Irish govt on. Thats what the job is, to represent the EU block as a whole, not your own country.

Of course. We all know that. The advantage of having an Irish person in charge is that they will fully understand the issues from an Irish perspective right off.

The Latvian guy might be fine. But it could also be the case that even if he genuinely does his best, he might not fully grasp some of the issues from an Irish perspective (or at least not grasp them right away.). And don't forget that he will be listening to 25-odd other voices as well telling him their own concerns and priorities.

Of course. We all know that. The advantage of having an Irish person in charge is that they will fully understand the issues from an Irish perspective right off.

The Latvian guy might be fine. But it could also be the case that even if he genuinely does his best, he might not fully grasp some of the issues from an Irish perspective (or at least not grasp them right away.). And don't forget that he will be listening to 25-odd other voices as well telling him their own concerns and priorities.

Mercusor only let in something like the equivalent 1% of EU beef consumption with lots of rules,
    they couldn't have done much better. some Irish industries will benefit, probably not a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

phil can join bertie and charlie , in birds of a feather .
    from charlie ,the public need to tighten their belts while he wore expensive french shirt and helicopter rides , to bertie , I won the money on a horse bet , to phil enjoying the high life golfing in adare manor and with the judges and high folk in galway .
    what a bunch of waisters

Mercusor only let in something like the equivalent 1% of EU beef consumption with lots of rules,
    they couldn't have done much better. some Irish industries will benefit, probably not a lot

Well I was thinking more along the lines of Brexit negotiations.

For Mercosur - the French farmers will always have more power than the Irish anyway.

kerry cow wrote: »
    phil can joint bertie and charlie , in birds of a feather .
    from charlie ,the public need to tighten their belts while he wore expensive french shirt and helicopter rides , to bertie , I won the money on a horse bet , to phil enjoying the high life golfing in adare manor and with the judges and high folk in galway .
    what a bunch of wankrrs.

And the lies about the childrens hospital, and even our hero Tony Holohan isn't squeaky clean, the guards, church child abuse by 100000+, Let he who is without sin etc etc
    I tell you Phil would be among comrades no matter where in Ireland he went.
    At least we still have our virtue......... my foot

Well I was thinking more along the lines of Brexit negotiations.

For Mercosur - the French farmers will always have more power than the Irish anyway.

They seem to be a lot more regulated than we are though

Sorry I thought I was on Farming and Forestry forum.
    Phil Hogan shouldn't have done what he done but he didn't do anyone any harm either, he didn't murder anyone.
    Having him where he was , was an advantage, he was always approachable, so what if he broke a few unimportant rules.
    In farming at the moment we have a few craw thumping farmers trying to close meat factories in spite of needing them to process close on 40000 cattle every week otherwise there would be farmers broke, not only that but they are telling beef processors to pay their workers more, they haven't the wit to realise that to pay the workers more they have to pay the farmers less.
    The message I was trying to get across was you have to ignore the small infringements to let big things run smoothly

Small infringements?

How many elderly people were cut off from family during the lockdown? Any idea what that was like for people who for their grandchildren? How many families are in financial trouble because they obeyed the rules?

Will you tell a friend that it is only "a small infringement" when some buffoon kills their loved one because he was paying attention to the driving? If Hogan is too stupid to know how to work bluetooth then he doesn't possess the ability to drive with split concentration.

The "big things" will work just fine with some else.

And has been pointed out it was violating Covid restrictions or breaking our traffic laws, it was repeated lying to his boss when asked to explain himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

My guess is that McGuinness will do a lot more work than Phil and much less golf.

Interesting to see Hogan getting kicked out of the Fine Gael party. I bet he ruffled a few feathers when he told them he wasn't resigning.

Small infringements?

How many elderly people were cut off from family during the lockdown? Any idea what that was like for people who for their grandchildren? How many families are in financial trouble because they obeyed the rules?

Will you tell a friend that it is only "a small infringement" when some buffoon kills their loved one because he was paying attention to the driving? If Hogan is too stupid to know how to work bluetooth then he doesn't possess the ability to drive with split concentration.

The "big things" will work just fine with some else.

And has been pointed out it was violating Covid restrictions or breaking our traffic laws, it was repeated lying to his boss when asked to explain himself.

Time you got over this - your anger is a bit alarming at this stage - you got your reward, Phil Hogan resigned.

I lost my job recently due to Covid, I didn't see my elderly mother once in her nursing home, both my kids live abroad and I live alone, so I did the entire lockdown on my own. But I still dont think Phil Hogan should have been forced to resign. People will always suffer disproportionately in life. We can't all suffer through Covid equally, although its still pretty rough.
    I do not think Phil Hogan should have gone, it was an over reaction by a Government who were losing public support. Because they asked Phil Hogan to consider his position, Ursula van der Leyden had no choice but to take it seriously. But be under no illusion this was driven by the Irish people and the Irish media who were on a relentless witch-hunt .
    Likewise 2 weeks previously when they demanded the head of Michael Cawley probably the best Chairman of Failte Ireland this country has ever had. We have a huge issue with begrudgery in this country. We like dragging people down, its a deep insecurity towards those who do well in life.
    Its not like we have a deep pool of talent in which to keep pulling these CEO's and prospective Government ministers from!

There SHOULD be exemptions for MEPS and European heads of state who have to travel a lot. In all honesty who here would quarantine for 14 days if they held the position of EU Commissioner for Trade? Who here did not break restrictions at some stage? "Let him without sin..............."

I'm delighted Mairead got the job, but we have lost out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Time you got over this - your anger is a bit alarming at this stage - you got your reward, Phil Hogan resigned.

I lost my job recently due to Covid, I didn't see my elderly mother once in her nursing home, both my kids live abroad and I live alone, so I did the entire lockdown on my own. But I still dont think Phil Hogan should have been forced to resign. People will always suffer disproportionately in life. We can't all suffer through Covid equally, although its still pretty rough.
    I do not think Phil Hogan should have gone, it was an over reaction by a Government who were losing public support. Because they asked Phil Hogan to consider his position, Ursula van der Leyden had no choice but to take it seriously. But be under no illusion this was driven by the Irish people and the Irish media who were on a relentless witch-hunt .
    Likewise 2 weeks previously when they demanded the head of Michael Cawley probably the best Chairman of Failte Ireland this country has ever had. We have a huge issue with begrudgery in this country. We like dragging people down, its a deep insecurity towards those who do well in life.
    Its not like we have a deep pool of talent in which to keep pulling these CEO's and prospective Government ministers from!

There SHOULD be exemptions for MEPS and European heads of state who have to travel a lot. In all honesty who here would quarantine for 14 days if they held the position of EU Commissioner for Trade? Who here did not break restrictions at some stage? "Let him without sin..............."

Dont agree. If you are to lead or be in a position of power you lead by example. It has nothing to do with Irish begrudgery.

The Belly wrote: »
    Dont agree. If you are to lead or be in a position of power you lead by example. It has nothing to do with Irish begrudgery.

If everyone was as good as the holier than thou critics there'd be no virus.
    There's thousands, nay hundreds of thousands, not bothered. no masks, distancing, nothing. then they abuse from behind a keyboard.
    Some that think they can run the country really couldn't run a pub crawl

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

There's thousands, nay hundreds of thousands, not bothered. no masks, distancing, nothing. then they abuse from behind a keyboard.

We are all entitled to our opinion.

What do you mean my "anger is alarming at this stage"? I can be as angry about this as I want.

"Got my reward"? Beegrudgery? Wow. Get over yourself.

How has Ireland lost out? He is not allowed to favour Ireland in anything so it makes zero difference who is in the job.

Cawley clearly was not the best. If he was he wouldn't have made such an idiotic decision.

Exemptions? Do you not know what a virus is? Do you think there are people who cannot catch and spread Covid because of whether are?

Do you think Hogan would give too fiddlers about you?

I didn't break the restrictions. My parents didn't. I have a sister and aunt who didn't. Plenty of neighbours too.

Just because you couldn't do do don't think others are as lacking as yourself

Like yourself you mean.

You were not able for the restrictions but but assume others have your lack of ability

The Belly wrote: »

The claims of begrudery are heavily dosed with irony

Like yourself you mean.

You wee able for the restrictions but but assume others have your lack of ability

I don't abuse anyone, I'd be gone long ago If I did, there's people on here out to get me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Cop out. Bet you're a real walkover.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Cop out. Bet you're a real walkover.

Based on what .....is that really your best argument? We are all entitled to our opinion , that’s what Boards is about , but at least make an effort to debate your point.

• Advertisement

I don't abuse anyone, I'd be gone long ago If I did, there's people on here out to get me :rolleyes:

Paranoia and delusion of grandeur

Advertisement