Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

TRC10 wrote: »
    I can't say anything to this other than you're just wrong. Rory Best is Lion #793.
    Sorry

Gatland want's fast, ball playing numer 8s in the wide channels because one dimensional players like Vunipola and Stander will get eaten up by SA and Faletau, Conan, Simmonds are by far the best at that.

Eddie Jones wants bruisers like Vunipola and Hughes, which Simmonds isn't. It really is as simple as that. But somehow I can't see you acknowledging that, given that all you seem to want to do is stick your fingers in your ears and shout "la la la not picked by the almighty Eddie Jones la la la la Worcester and Newcastle la la la"

Again, just not true. Sorry.

Nope I’m not wrong.

Lol Leinster ate up Simmonds, just imagine what SA will do to him...well nothing because he won’t play but you get what I mean.

If EJ didn’t like what he brings as a 8 he would do what he did with Wilson and Earl and convert him to a 7, he didn’t because he must know something we don’t about Simmonds, bare in mind EJ sees him at training when he was in England camp, Gatland hasn’t, it’s pretty telling how he hasn’t been reselected, maybe he knows something Gatland doesn’t.

And for the third time I’ll ask the question, what trait does Simmonds bring then that makes him a clear lions choice and allows him to skip the queue? Because scoring some maul tries against bog standard premiership teams doesn’t make you test standard.

I can't say anything to this other than you're just wrong. Rory Best is Lion #793.
    Sorry

Gatland want's fast, ball playing numer 8s in the wide channels because one dimensional players like Vunipola and Stander will get eaten up by SA and Faletau, Conan, Simmonds are by far the best at that.

Eddie Jones wants bruisers like Vunipola and Hughes, which Simmonds isn't. It really is as simple as that. But somehow I can't see you acknowledging that, given that all you seem to want to do is stick your fingers in your ears and shout "la la la not picked by the almighty Eddie Jones la la la la Worcester and Newcastle la la la"

Again, just not true. Sorry.

And yes it is true, Wilson and Ludlum are pretty middle of the road players, if he could get selected ahead of them that’s pretty damning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Holy crap, could some of you STFU?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Leak in the English press today that Sam Simmonds is to be named co-captain with AWJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭OldRio

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Well...you were the one who said he has brilliant ability, I would have thought if that was the case you would be able to name me one of them...if I was a cynic I would be saying that you haven’t actually watched him play and are just buying into the media hype.

Please show me where I said 'he has brilliant ability' Quote my post. You are wrong.

Also check my posts on the Premiership Rugby thread. There are a number, because I watch it.
    Then apologise to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's definitely a place for Simmonds in the squad. He has athleticism like no other backrow available. I don't know if he'll make the test side as he struggles a bit when Exeter don't have front foot ball. But if there is any hint of parity up front he'll do well.

Conan may be the big winner here. He's shown he can do well when his pack is on the back foot and he has some experience playing at blindside. Could be the bench sub for th test side.

Could well be the case that Furlong and Porter are in the test team. Has that ever happened in a front row position before for the Lions where the starting and replacement are not only from the same country but the same club?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Gatland has a pretty decent record as a selector. His tenure in Wales saw some contentious decisions on that front.....
    ....... but overall he came out on the right side of the ledger.

As a manager perhaps the biggest decisions you make are who you hire and who you fire. I would not have picked Simmonds but what do I know?

I remember Gatland picking 13 Ospreys for his first match @ Twickenham in 2008. Most people in Wales thought he was bonkers yet they won and four games later delivered the GS.

Theyve picked the players to suit the plan. Some excellent players have missed out but that's always the case in the history of team sports..... Selection is just one persons opinion. The beauty of the Lions is it enables players not playing international rugby to have a shot..... Plenty of successful examples of that in the past......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Gatland gets nowhere near the amount of credit he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Gatland gets nowhere near the amount of credit he deserves.

I think most knowledgeable rugby supporters know just how good he is. That's why he keeps getting offered the jobs.
    He was transformative with Ireland, incredibly successful with Wales and has a great track record with the Lions.
    He is the best coach of Northern Hemisphere teams for the last 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Yep…“WarrenBall” is just lazy analysis.

The man is one of the greatest coaches of all time with a CV to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭TRC10

If EJ didn’t like what he brings as a 8 he would do what he did with Wilson and Earl and convert him to a 7, he didn’t because he must know something we don’t about Simmonds, bare in mind EJ sees him at training when he was in England camp, Gatland hasn’t, it’s pretty telling how he hasn’t been reselected, maybe he knows something Gatland doesn’t.

Ehh what? Earl and Wilson were always flankers. He never converted them.

And there you go again. "Eddie Jones didn't pick him so he must be no good". Your love affair with Eddie Jones surely has a fascinating back story behind it.

And for the third time I’ll ask the question, what trait does Simmonds bring then that makes him a clear lions choice and allows him to skip the queue? Because scoring some maul tries against bog standard premiership teams doesn’t make you test standard.

I've told you twice. He plays in the wide channels, he's a great footballer and he's probably the fastest number 8 in the world.

And I just know you're going to respond with "Ooh if he was that good, Lord Eddie would pick him"

Eddie Jones once said to Simmonds, the way he plays doesn't suit England's game. It's nothing to do with ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

0111c62d35b8e0ad45a24ee6c01e9279.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 41,239 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

tumblr_m2wd6nEXVn1qg6rkio1_500.gifv

Excellent explanation of the selection of Aki, Conan and Simmonds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,052 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Excellent explanation of the selection of Aki, Conan and Simmonds

I'd agree with most of that. Hill getting selected still makes no sense. Granted Ryan has arguably been off form, but if he gets fingered for struggling against La Rochelle, why has Hill, and the other Exeter players, gotten a pass after getting pasted by leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Dan Biggar failed a HIA in Northampton's game. There'll be a lot of crossed fingers over the next few weeks re player fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd agree with most of that. Hill getting selected still makes no sense. Granted Ryan has arguably been off form, but if he gets fingered for struggling against La Rochelle, why has Hill, and the other Exeter players, gotten a pass after getting pasted by leinster?

He didn't though. You can still be good in a beaten pack. Hill was someone that really stood out against Leinster. He was the best second row on the field that day by a distance.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,239 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    He didn't though. You can still be good in a beaten pack. Hill was someone that really stood out against Leinster. He was the best second row on the field that day by a distance.

He wasn't even the best Exeter second row on show that day. He gave away at least 2 stupid pens and he was lucky not to be carded.
    It's all fine and well being "physical" but if it's uncontrolled it's damaging for your team

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    He wasn't even the best Exeter second row on show that day. He gave away at least 2 stupid pens and he was lucky not to be carded.
    It's all fine and well being "physical" but if it's uncontrolled it's damaging for your team

He completely outshone Gray who was taken off early. Gray's most significant contribution was running a really poor line out.

Hill may have given away a couple of penalties (I only recall the one) but that doesn't change his breakdown work and carrying. He was far more effective and aggressive than any other lock in those areas.

OldRio wrote: »
    Please show me where I said 'he has brilliant ability' Quote my post. You are wrong.

Also check my posts on the Premiership Rugby thread. There are a number, because I watch it.
    Then apologise to me.

So what are they?

Ehh what? Earl and Wilson were always flankers. He never converted them.

And there you go again. "Eddie Jones didn't pick him so he must be no good". Your love affair with Eddie Jones surely has a fascinating back story behind it.

Earl was an 8... he was converted to a 7 in 2019 because they saw potential in him.

If he was as good as made out he would atleast make the England squad, maybe not start but definitely would make it.

I've told you twice. He plays in the wide channels, he's a great footballer and he's probably the fastest number 8 in the world.

And I just know you're going to respond with "Ooh if he was that good, Lord Eddie would pick him"

Eddie Jones once said to Simmonds, the way he plays doesn't suit England's game. It's nothing to do with ability.

He’s the fast 8 in the premiership...

Oh yeah he’s the only back row that plays in the wide channels, let’s pick him.

Doesn’t suit him at 8, if he was as good as made out there would find a place for him in the squad.

So what are they?
    Earl was an 8... he was converted to a 7 in 2019 because they saw potential in him.

If he was as good as made out he would atleast make the England squad, maybe not start but definitely would make it.
    He’s the fast 8 in the premiership...

Oh yeah he’s the only back row that plays in the wide channels, let’s pick him.

Doesn’t suit him at 8, if he was as good as made out there would find a place for him in the squad.

Ok you're right.

Gatland bows to the media and Lion #793 isn't a Lion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yep…“WarrenBall” is just lazy analysis.

The man is one of the greatest coaches of all time with a CV to die for.

Who would of known that you need powerful strike runners and solid defenders to win a rugby match?! Shocking! It's not like he invented it, he's an excellent pragmatic coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,052 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Buer wrote: »

Not sure I would agree with that assessment, but take your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sinckler put in MOTM performance today and gave a very honest and emotional interview post game on missing out on Lion's tour.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1391086471466061826

Two tries for Sam Simmonds today. What a player.

Three cheers for Sammy the Lion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭theVersatile

ongarite wrote: »
    Sinckler put in MOTM performance today and gave a very honest and emotional interview post game on missing out on Lion's tour.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1391086471466061826

Beat me to it. I think my respect for Sinkler just tripled after watching that.

Advertisement