Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

In fairness to Bundee, last time we beat South Africa, he injured their prop in the first 30 seconds with a leg breaker, it really set the tone for the game...although that was about 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Maybe instead of playing Japan they should warm up with a game against the barbarians made of of just British and Irish players that were not picked.

That could get tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Maybe instead of playing Japan they should warm up with a game against the barbarians made of of just British and Irish players that were not picked.

That could get tasty.
    And would be of little benefit to success of the tour/test series when you are simply playing another side of players just thrown together.
    A game against Argentina/Japan/whoever.. will benefit Lions ahead of tour far more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

And would be of little benefit to success of the tour/test series when you are simply playing another side of players just thrown together.
    A game against Argentina/Japan/whoever.. will benefit Lions ahead of tour far more than that

100% agree. They played the barbarians in 2013 and it was a total pisstake. Absolutely demolished them and probably learnt nothing. The game against Japan will be very beneficial.

Elliot Daly and Jared Payne both played for the Baa Baas that day too. I wonder how many other players have played for and against the Lions?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

TRC10 wrote: »
    100% agree. They played the barbarians in 2013 and it was a total pisstake. Absolutely demolished them and probably learnt nothing. The game against Japan will be very beneficial.

Elliot Daly and Jared Payne both played for the Baa Baas that day too. I wonder how many other players have played for and against the Lions?

Ricki Flutey was probably the main one , played against for NZ Maori and one of the regional teams back in 2005 and then after qualifying for England he played for the Lions later on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Simmons is playing worescter and Newcastle while Conan is playing dragons and Benetton.

Quelle problem?

Conan plays test rugby, Simmonds doesn’t... there’s the difference.

aloooof wrote: »
    What, 6-7 months ago?

I'm not making a case for his inclusion; just saying it's not a "mockery".

And Jersey Reds and Ealing Trailfinders is standard the Saracens lads play against regularly.

Ritchie is definitely one of a few who will feel unlucky, he had an excellent 6 Nations.

Will leave it there...

No because the Saracens lads play for England, I lost a lot of respect for Gatland after this selection of I’m honest, totally sold out to the media on this occasion.

OldRio wrote: »
    How did Exeter v Leinster go? Simmonds v Conan?

Also Conan played well against the potential European Champions last weekend.

Quelle problem?

In all fairness Jones doesn't pick Simmonds because Jones is a dick, simple as that. Both players deserve their place.

Tell us how Simmonds deserves his place, what quality does he posses that makes him such a must pick despite not playing test rugby?

15-Keenan
    14-May
    13-Ringrose/Slade
    12-Davies/Tuilagi
    11-Stockdale/Earls
    10-Sexton/Ford
    9-T.Williams
    1-Healy/Marler
    2-Kelleher/Herring
    3-Sinckler
    4-Gray
    5-Ryan
    6-Stander
    7-Navidi/Underhill
    8-Billy.V

I still don’t get how J.Davies is even in the conversation anymore, totally past it and being picked by people souley on reputation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    No because the Saracens lads play for England, I lost a lot of respect for Gatland after this selection of I’m honest, totally sold out to the media on this occasion.

They played awfully for England during the 6 Nations, by any measure.

• Advertisement

Tell us how Simmonds deserves his place, what quality does he posses that makes him such a must pick despite not playing test rugby?

Deserves his place because he was the European POTY in 2020 and best player in the prem by a country mile.

He doesn't play test rugby but that's not because he isn't good enough to.

Ask yourself this.

What enhances Gatland's reputation more?

Picking a player that the media are calling for.

Or winning a test series in South Africa.

It's the latter. So why would he do anything other than pick the best squad to win a test series? The notion that he's "selling out" is such nonsense

I still don’t get how J.Davies is even in the conversation anymore, totally past it and being picked by people souley on reputation.

Same thing was said about Sexton in 2017

Same thing was said about Alun Wyn Jones in January

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Gatland has clearly gone with a very specific approach in mind. He's looked at how SA won the RWC and is planning to combat that with a few notable caveats where he's rolling the dice on different types of player in the likes of Watson or Simmonds who are both excellent open field players and would perform well in terms of being impact players.

He has gone with the biggest, most physical selection he can find. His tightheads are all 120kg+. His smallest hooker is 110kg. Wyn Jones is the smallest loosehead at 114kg. He hasn't picked a single blindside instead opting to go with locks who can play blindside in Lawes and Beirne. Curry is going to be his openside, I'd imagine at a tidy 110kg.

His back line is going to be a meaty, powerful back line too no doubt. Guys like Henshaw, VDM, Aki and Harris are all 100kg+. Murray and Biggar (most likely starters at this time) are big guys too for their positions.

He has a plan in mind and, given his past record, he has earned the right to give it a try. I've no issue with it, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Gatland knows what he is doing and he has picked the squad he feels will do the best job.

I don't believe in crying over perceived political slights. Sure we would all love to join in a mutual **** circle with at least 12 Irish players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Take or Leave it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9RAX2z0WXQ

But to be fair, he does can see the bigger picture way better than I can...

Everyone else can see his ability, Why don’t you justify Eddie jones not picking him.

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I think there is some global reason a game against the Japan or Argentina teams might not go ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,398 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I think there is some global reason a game against the Japan or Argentina teams might not go ahead...

The weather right?

pjohnson wrote: »
    The weather right?

No, it’s the lack of 5G I think.

Not another feckin typhoon...

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    They played awfully for England during the 6 Nations, by any measure.

Simmonds was pretty non existent aswell.

Deserves his place because he was the European POTY in 2020 and best player in the prem by a country mile.

He doesn't play test rugby but that's not because he isn't good enough to.

Ask yourself this.

What enhances Gatland's reputation more?

Picking a player that the media are calling for.

Or winning a test series in South Africa.

It's the latter. So why would he do anything other than pick the best squad to win a test series? The notion that he's "selling out" is such nonsense

Again, against the likes of Worcester and Newcastle...
    Like I said, tell me what quality he posses that makes him a Lion? Because if he was as good as you are making out he would be a international player.

Well both, now that he’s picked Simmonds the British media will love him so he doesn’t need to pick him in the test team now.

Same thing was said about Sexton in 2017

Same thing was said about Alun Wyn Jones in January

It really wasn’t, Sexton when he did play in the 2017 6N you could see why he was the clear standout 10 for the lions and it took a loss against NZL for Gatland to wake up and see it himself.

AWJ had one bad season, Davies has been pretty ordinary for ages now.

The fact you have to use other players as an example rather than use examples of Davies in recent times that prove I might be wrong shows you are probably in agreement with me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Skyfloater

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Take or Leave it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9RAX2z0WXQ

But to be fair, he does can see the bigger picture way better than I can...

Credit where it is due, Squidge is a far better analyst than most.

Everyone else can see his ability, Why don’t you justify Eddie jones not picking him.

What ability is it, What exactly does he do that makes him a must pick, you are the one who said he has ability but which ability is it? Answer the question please. Because he clearly isn’t good enough he’s just another premiership player totally overhyped by the British media because he impressed against some meh English teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

Why should I waste my time to tell you anything. You obviously think you know everything. Life is far to short.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Conan plays test rugby, Simmonds doesn’t... there’s the difference.

Conan hasnt played test rugby all that much more than Simmonds though?

Neither have been continuously selected by their coaches at that level

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Conan hasnt played test rugby all that much more than Simmonds though?

Neither have been continuously selected by their coaches at that level

Not really - Conan has been selected fairly consistently barring injury.

When Fit , Conan has been getting selected.

Certainly since before the World Cup I don't think that there has been an extended period where Conan was available and playing that he wasn't making the squad.

Simmonds hasn't been anywhere near the England camp in over 3 years.

I've had a think about it UAEguy, and on second thoughts I think you're right.

I think Warren Gatland, with...
    20+ years coaching experience
    3 Premiership titles
    1 Heineken Cup
    4 Six Nations Championships (3 of which Grand Slams)
    2 RWC Semi-Finals appearances
    A series win in Australia for the Lions
    A series draw in NZ

... has decided now. Now is the time he must bow down to the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    the squad.
    Simmonds hasn't been anywhere near the England camp in over 3 years.

Because Eddie Jones. He's a quality player, and this is a ridiculous discussion.

Advertisement