Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

TRC10 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/QnwxWsJd6r0

Quick clip of Hogg tearing a team up by himself

One break a summer makes I guess. How many videos of him leaking tries for poor defensive choices?

Hogg is an infinitely better player than Zebo, in almost all facets of the game. Keenan is an excellent player, still working his way up the learning curve but passing each test admirably. He would have been worthy of a slot on the squad, but I don’t think he’s hard done by to not be in.

First test tomorrow morning, 100 times out of 100 I’m picking Hogg (or Liam Williams) ahead of him

Again, fair enough. I don't see it in Hogg personally, never been very impressed by him. Williams is a different matter entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

One break a summer makes I guess. How many videos of him leaking tries for poor defensive choices?

Keep on deflecting.

How about you provide the videos seen as you're the one making the claim?

Again, fair enough. I don't see it in Hogg personally, never been very impressed by him. Williams is a different matter entirely.
    I'd take him over any of the other options at FB,

you said that you'd pick Keenan ahead of Williams also!

glasso wrote: »
    you said that you'd pick Keenan ahead of Williams also!

At FB, yes. I'd have a back 3 of LRZ/Watson, Williams and Keenan. Williams is a great player, but he also does incredibly stupid, ill disciplined things too. See him losing Wales a test at the death for a knackery challenge

Not a one off occurrence for him either.

• Advertisement

Keep on deflecting.

How about you provide the videos seen as you're the one making the claim?

Ehh, did you not watch Leinster's match against Exeter?

Ehh, did you not watch Leinster's match against Exeter?

The only defensive error from a full back in that game was from Keenan.

Strange game to use to try to prove your point

At FB, yes. I'd have a back 3 of LRZ/Watson, Williams and Keenan. Williams is a great player, but he also does incredibly stupid, ill disciplined things too. See him losing Wales a test at the death for a knackery challenge

Not a one off occurrence for him either.

Ok let's pick out the single dumbest moment from every players career (even if it was 7 years ago) and use it to prove why they shouldn't be picked.

Ridiculous

The only defensive error from a full back in that game was from Keenan.

Strange game to use to try to prove your point

1st try, Hogg bites in on Keenan, who makes an offload through a double tackle to Lowe for the score.

2nd try, Hogg gets burnt on the outside from 10ms out, after Keenan runs a line that ties in the winger and Hogg.

4th try, Hogg gets burnt on the outside from 10ms out.

Ok let's pick out the single dumbest moment from every players career (even if it was 7 years ago) and use it to prove why they shouldn't be picked.

Ridiculous

Google Liam Williams red cards. Not a short list. He's a great player, but he does stupid ****, on the reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Christ.

1st try, Hogg bites in on Keenan, who makes an offload through a double tackle to Lowe for the score.

2nd try, Hogg gets burnt on the outside from 10ms out.

4th try, Hogg gets burnt on the outside from 10ms out.

Hogg is back tracking in the first 2. They aren't errors. Even if he leaves Keenan, Leinster still score because Keenan just gets the ball away easier and Lowe is running onto the ball and Hogg is backtracking.

2nd clip. Well executed Leinster move and again, Hogg backtracking because of it. Leinster should score from that position, therefore it's not an error.

And ok Larmour gassed him....big deal, it's Larmour, he's fast.

Keenan's miss on on O'Flaherty was much more an error than any of your examples. You're just nitpicking.

Hogg is back tracking in the first 2. They aren't errors. Even if he leaves Keenan, Leinster still score because Keenan just gets the ball away easier and Lowe is running onto the ball and Hogg is backtracking.

2nd clip. Well executed Leinster move and again, Hogg backtracking because of it. Leinster should score from that position, therefore it's not an error.

And ok Larmour gassed him....big deal, it's Larmour, he's fast.

Keenan's miss on on O'Flaherty was much more an error than any of your examples. You're just nitpicking.

Who's making excuses now? Keenan fell off of a tackle. It was a poor miss in a one on one situation. Hogg was repeatedly done on the outside as the last defender.

Anyway, not trying to drag the whole damn thread off the rails. Last I'll be mentioning Keenan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

aloooof wrote: »
    It’s pretty obvious from his selections that he hasn’t picked players just on 6 Nations form, or even recent form. Just look at the Saracens players selected. And that doesn’t mean he’s appeasing the media.

Different coaches will have different opinions on players. Obviously.

I’d totally get that if we were talking about let’s say a tuilagi or someone like that... not a player who’s not played test rugby in nearly 2 years when fit and available.

Google Liam Williams red cards. Not a short list. He's a great player, but he does stupid ****, on the reg.

3 red cards in 240 games.

Yeah you're right, shocking stuff altogether, call up Keenan

aloooof wrote: »
    He’s a recent European Player of the Year winner, so the notion that he’s only impressed against Newcastle and Worcester is nonsense. It’s akin to the calls for Steffon Armitage to be considered, a difference being he didn’t play in a home nation at the time.

I’d have preferred others too, but this notion that it makes a mockery of things is, frankly, ridiculous.

How long ago was that? You are really reaching to try make a case for his inclusion. Newcastle and Worcester is the standard of opposition he plays against regularly and supposedly that’s what’s got him on the pane which is a joke, you look at for example how Ritchie played in the big games in the 6N but no because Simmonds was has impressed in afew premiership games he must go.

It is making a mockery, this is up there with the geography 6 bull**** and thankfully I expect this to go similarly with him rarely featuring in the tests.

Who's making excuses now? Keenan fell off of a tackle. It was a poor miss in a one on one situation. Hogg was repeatedly done on the outside as the last defender.

Anyway, not trying to drag the whole damn thread off the rails. Last I'll be mentioning Keenan.

Excuses for what? They aren't errors. You're nitpicking. You can take literally any try ever and say "oh defensive error". But not every try is a defensive error. You're clearly just trying to justify taking Keenan (an excellent player) over 2 of the best full backs in the world and proven world class players.

It’s not a media pick it’s a two fingers to Eddie bones pick. Simmonds has been the best English 8 for the last 15 months. Billy V hasn’t been the same post World Cup, and if Jones wasn’t as pedantic as he is Simmonds would probably have started all the November and 6 nations tests. Billy V is currently playing Plymouth and Jersey Reds on a weekly basis and I don’t think he looks out of place at times if Twitter is to be believed. I agree it’s now a big step up for Simmonds without having played international in 3 years, but the guy is a quality player that has been consistently top class in one of the best club teams in Europe for the last 3 years.

Let’s be honest, Conan hasn’t played much more international rugby in the last 2 years and we’re not calling that selection a joke.

Best 8 in the premiership, big difference playing against Worcester and Newcastle than playing against SA in the lions and there’s a reason he hasn’t been picked.

Has looked class in the premiership not international rugby... there’s the problem.

Conan was fantastic the last few weeks and hasnt played much international rugby due to injury rather than seen as not being good enough, that’s a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I’d like to have seen a few more from English sides. O’Flaherty might have been interesting on the wing. Was May available? I think Slade could have offered a bit of variety at centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I would love to see Eddie jones in charge of the lions someday.

Just for the fun that would be had at squad selection time alone.

• Advertisement

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Best 8 in the premiership, big difference playing against Worcester and Newcastle than playing against SA in the lions and there’s a reason he hasn’t been picked.

Has looked class in the premiership not international rugby... there’s the problem.

Conan was fantastic the last few weeks and hasnt played much international rugby due to injury rather than seen as not being good enough, that’s a big difference.

Simmons is playing worescter and Newcastle while Conan is playing dragons and Benetton.

Quelle problem?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

How long ago was that?

What, 6-7 months ago?
    You are really reaching to try make a case for his inclusion.

I'm not making a case for his inclusion; just saying it's not a "mockery".
    Newcastle and Worcester is the standard of opposition he plays against regularly and supposedly that’s what’s got him on the pane which is a joke, you look at for example how Ritchie played in the big games in the 6N but no because Simmonds was has impressed in afew premiership games he must go.

And Jersey Reds and Ealing Trailfinders is standard the Saracens lads play against regularly.

Ritchie is definitely one of a few who will feel unlucky, he had an excellent 6 Nations.
    It is making a mockery...

Will leave it there...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭OldRio

Simmons is playing worescter and Newcastle while Conan is playing dragons and Benetton.

Quelle problem?

How did Exeter v Leinster go? Simmonds v Conan?

Also Conan played well against the potential European Champions last weekend.

Quelle problem?

In all fairness Jones doesn't pick Simmonds because Jones is a dick, simple as that. Both players deserve their place.

OldRio wrote: »
    How did Exeter v Leinster go? Simmonds v Conan?

Also Conan played well against the potential European Champions last weekend.

Quelle problem?

In all fairness Jones doesn't pick Simmonds because Jones is a dick, simple as that. Both players deserve their place.

I’ve no issue with either being picked, and delighted for both. It’s vindication of their work rate during periods of selection disappointment at the national level. Two players who can elevate their international ambitions no end this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Does anyone care to name a team from the players not picked to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

It was done yesterday by a few of the papers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Missed them, v good team not going

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

You could pick a team not going that would put 30 or 40 on the likely midweek team of those picked. You can make a strong 23 out of the squad with a few spares dotted around, but the last 10 or so named looks very weak.

• Advertisement

15-Keenan
    14-May
    13-Ringrose/Slade
    12-Davies/Tuilagi
    11-Stockdale/Earls
    10-Sexton/Ford
    9-T.Williams
    1-Healy/Marler
    2-Kelleher/Herring