Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

sydthebeat wrote: »
    lions.jpg

Guscotts lions selection of the week....

Needs more CJ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

i hope not... it would take a warped mind to look at any of those games and think that wales dominated them.

even in the England game it took two very incorrect and significant ref decisions to allow wales to pull away

It’s a big leap alright.

I would have thought the only “sure things” if fit are Itoje, Furlong, and Farrell. Then probables might include Henshaw (on form alone), Vunipola, Ryan, Curry, and Faletau.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

i hope not... it would take a warped mind to look at any of those games and think that wales dominated them.

even in the England game it took two very incorrect and significant ref decisions to allow wales to pull away

They dominated as in they beat Ireland,England and Scotland. They may not have dominated each match but over the series of triple corwn games that all four nations played, they dominated. Winning is winning after all.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

They dominated as in they beat Ireland,England and Scotland. They may not have dominated each match but over the series of triple corwn games that all four nations played, they dominated. Winning is winning after all.

They didn't dominate.

Small margins, red cards, and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Jackman, Linehan and Eddie O'Sullivan picked a team on against the head tonight.

Vunipola
    Owens
    Furlong
    Itoje
    Alan Wyn Jones
    Beirne
    Curry
    Falateau
    Gareth Davies
    Sexton
    Liam Williams
    Farrell
    Henshaw
    Rees Zammit
    Hogg

Interestingly think that's the same tight 5 as 2017 except for Jamie George.

Mentioned Loose head and SH as tight calls, Tupiric mentioned as unlucky to miss out too.

Eddie said he'd pick Ryan and mentioned him as a possible captain, Donal was saying with SA going 6-2 split on the bench possibly like the world cup big impact was needed there with Ryan as an example, he seemed to favour Wyn Jones as captain. Van De Merwe on the wing mentioned by Eddie as a possible bolter.

Personal opinion of mine not many lads if fit currently cemented as test starters which I believe is a good thing, Furlong and Itoje, possibly Falateau if Vunipola stays out of shape.

Wonder if Sam Simmonds could be a dark horse to make the squad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

It’s a big leap alright.

I would have thought the only “sure things” if fit are Itoje, Furlong, and Farrell. Then probables might include Henshaw (on form alone), Vunipola, Ryan, Curry, and Faletau.
    wouldn't have Farrell has a sure thing currently, could go with a 10,12,13 of Sexton, Henshaw, Jonathan Davies who i think could have started every test or at least every test bar 1 in 2013 and 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Any chance if the tour is to happen in the UK that we see a much smaller squad? Less of a need to round up 40 men if you're not on the other side of the world

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Any chance if the tour is to happen in the UK that we see a much smaller squad? Less of a need to round up 40 men if you're not on the other side of the world

there won't be any Irish players in the squad if that happens, so probably will be smaller

there won't be any Irish players in the squad if that happens, so probably will be smaller

What do you mean?

Of course there will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I'd imagine they'd still need a big squad in that case as it would be harder to call player back from overseas tours with their own countries (unless they are also rescheduled for UK and Ireland venues).

• Advertisement

What do you mean?

Of course there will be.

If it receives British government funding to underwrite the tour...it'll happen in the mainland UK, with no monies to the IRFU..no players from this country will take part

If it receives British government funding to underwrite the tour...it'll happen in the mainland UK, with no monies to the IRFU..no players from this country will take part

That can’t happen. The four Unions own the Lions entity.

And underwriting doesn’t mean underwriting profits anyway, it just means underwriting costs. If the thing goes ahead in the UK but then stadiums turn out to be empty, the IRFU would get nothing. It’s just that the Lions entity wouldn’t be bankrupted.

That can’t happen. The four Unions own the Lions entity.

And underwriting doesn’t mean underwriting profits anyway, it just means underwriting costs. If the thing goes ahead in the UK but then stadiums turn out to be empty, the IRFU would get nothing. It’s just that the Lions entity wouldn’t be bankrupted.

Underwriting costs, yes but no games in Ireland, no benefit whatsoever to the IRFU...so no Irish participation.
    Tbh, it's a moot point anyway..I can't see the Lions tour happening in any shape or form

Underwriting costs, yes but no games in Ireland, no benefit whatsoever to the IRFU...so no Irish participation.

thats never how it worked ???

thats never how it worked ???

Well we've never had a home tour..so that's correct

Well we've never had a home tour..so that's correct

why would where the tour takes place affect whether irish players are selected or not??

• Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tbh, it's a moot point anyway..I can't see the Lions tour happening in any shape or form

The profit made by the Lions is split among the 4 unions. Clubs also get money for any Lions selected (which also means money to the IRFU in our case).

It must be worth a couple of million at least to the IRFU.

There are never any games in Ireland...

The benefit to the IRFU of a commercially successful tour is clear. They part-own the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think a few people are having the chains yanked a bit here lads.

I think a few people are having the chains yanked a bit here lads.

It's my natural sceptical nature is all

• Advertisement

I killed boards :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Apparently a behind closed doors tour in SA is to be confirmed within the next hour.
    https://twitter.com/GavinMairs/status/1374374113410609155

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

thank **** for a decision!!

Apparently a behind closed doors tour in SA is to be confirmed within the next hour.
    https://twitter.com/GavinMairs/status/1374374113410609155

It was probably the only way it could happen, I'm happy with that if it goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

So will the Lions have to go into quarantine on their return from S Africa or will they be vaccinated before they head off?
    Pretty risky given the situation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,041 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Jackman, Linehan and Eddie O'Sullivan picked a team on against the head tonight.

Vunipola
    Owens
    Furlong
    Itoje
    Alan Wyn Jones
    Beirne
    Curry
    Falateau
    Gareth Davies
    Sexton
    Liam Williams
    Farrell
    Henshaw
    Rees Zammit
    Hogg

Interestingly think that's the same tight 5 as 2017 except for Jamie George.

Mentioned Loose head and SH as tight calls, Tupiric mentioned as unlucky to miss out too.

Eddie said he'd pick Ryan and mentioned him as a possible captain, Donal was saying with SA going 6-2 split on the bench possibly like the world cup big impact was needed there with Ryan as an example, he seemed to favour Wyn Jones as captain. Van De Merwe on the wing mentioned by Eddie as a possible bolter.

Personal opinion of mine not many lads if fit currently cemented as test starters which I believe is a good thing, Furlong and Itoje, possibly Falateau if Vunipola stays out of shape.

Wonder if Sam Simmonds could be a dark horse to make the squad?

Is Itoje nailed on for a place?
    He is on everyones list, but with 12 penalties to his name, at what point is he a liability?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So will the Lions have to go into quarantine on their return from S Africa or will they be vaccinated before they head off?
    Pretty risky given the situation there.

If the Lions get vaccinated before they head off it’ll be absolutely outrageous. Not sure I could watch that tbh (not that I think it’ll happen)

If the Lions get vaccinated before they head off it’ll be absolutely outrageous. Not sure I could watch that tbh (not that I think it’ll happen)
    The ones living in the UK will possibly have been vaccinated by then anyway as part of their roll out.

It's official now. They tour is to go ahead as per the original schedule. https://www.lionsrugby.com/2021/03/23/lions-rugby-2021-tour-update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The UK based players would be vaccinated by then anyway I would imagine, no harm to let them vaccinate our players too for us, save a few doses for use here

Advertisement