Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Where's my apology?? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yep, I mean Kilkenny went red warning during Darwin, when all hell was breaking lose, it was too late but warranted.

I know they have to be really sure before issuing red.

Same as limerick city. When it was too late. Serious destruction. It was like a freight train outside the house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Where's my apology?? Lol

A stopped clock! You were on about rain anyway lol

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yep, I mean Kilkenny went red warning during Darwin, when all hell was breaking lose, it was too late but warranted.

I know they have to be really sure before issuing red.

I remember that day. I was in college in WIT they closed the college in the middle of the storm so everybody was sent home. At least this storm comes at a time when schools etc are closed and its late in the evening/night so most people should be at home. Darwin could have been a disaster for Kilkenny/Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

m17 wrote: »
    Storm Ellen out in the Atlantic
    V1Zx9in.jpg

Which site are you using to watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Wales this morning
    Vy4OVmQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

11 utc looking impressive

523477.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Siobhan sporting a nice red jacket there on the RTE One o'clock News just now, to emphasise the red warning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Where's my apology?? Lol

Haha. I bet your strutting around doing that Conor McGregor walk now.

mumo3 wrote: »
    Which site are you using to watch it?

Eumetsat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭grebtol2

As sure as night follows day, when a major storm approaches - Shannon radar goes down with "technical faults".

What's the real reason?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 06Z out, similar to HARMONIE, strongest winds coming ashore between Cork and Waterford showing 160 to 170 km/h and 120 to 130 km/ h overland moving straight up through the country.

More counties in Orange level, Waterford could be Red yet.

Deepening on approach 969hPa and filling slowly inland as it exits the country.

Very heavy rain in the SW, up to 50mm in 24 hrs

na4Osxs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

leahyl wrote: »
    Lol you’re a howl, every post of yours always has the worst weather for Cork

That aged well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Comhra wrote: »
    Siobhan sporting a nice red jacket there on the RTE One o'clock News just now, to emphasise the red warning?
    I thought she was emphasising something else :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

endainoz wrote: »
    That aged well

He’s actually right this time!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Where's my apology?? Lol

Lmao, I’m sorry, you’re finally right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

For what it's worth, this is what the UK Met have for strongest gusts at Cork Apt and Waterford Apt:

Waterford Airport - 53 knots between 1am and 3am
    Cork Airport - 46 knots around midnight.

The UK Met model tends to a conservative one regarding wind speed and gust potential, but often not far off the mark either. We'll see.

Edit: Cork Apt should read '48 knots'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

ICON and GFS using ventusky seem very far apart. which one is more reliable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bejubby wrote: »
    Here Grace,go to locations and pick the nearest to you,then scroll down.
    www.tidetimes.org.uk
    Or if you have a smart phone, I have an app Tide Times, which is super easy to use and has tide locations all over the country, and you can save your favourites for even easier access. Give tide times/heights, and also moon information.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Or if you have a smart phone, I have an app Tide Times, which is super easy to use and has tide locations all over the country, and you can save your favourites for even easier access. Give tide times/heights, and also moon information.

Here's today's tides for an island in Clew Bay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Storm Ellen out in the Atlantic
    V1Zx9in.jpg

Just to note, the big swirl in the mid-Atlantic is not Ellen....that's the parent low. Ellen is only beginning to become visible as it starts development west of Biscay. It will become more evident in a few hours when cyclogenesis becomes apparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Mourne mountains this morning
    m4OSToW.jpg

That is a gorgeous photo. Sorry now but Im breaking all copyright rules - too late.... I have saved it to my phone!! :)

froog wrote: »
    ICON and GFS using ventusky seem very far apart. which one is more reliable?

How are Icon and GFS so far away from the other models at only 12 hours. Are they generally this unreliable? I would have thought there would be a tendency to converge as we get closer

Wales this morning
    Vy4OVmQ.jpg

Jesus, that's taking the "shepherd's warning" to extremes :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Euro4 short range model suggests that it's going to get a bit hairy over the SW and irish Sea early Friday morning:

anim_ckk5.gif

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Am I missing something or does it look like Waterford is going to get hit worse than Cork looking at the latest charts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wales this morning
    Vy4OVmQ.jpg

Dublin was the same

Am I missing something or does it look like Waterford is going to get hit worse than Cork looking at the latest charts?

Might be updated later. Still a lot of uncertainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Might be updated later. Still a lot of uncertainty.

Yeah, just got notification that they are closing the prom in Tramore from 4pm today until further notice. Will be a wild one regardless with high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Irish Ace

How is the east looking throughout this? Looks like Meath and North Dublin might get hit on the edge of them gusts of wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I would warn people about possible coastal flooding in northern Dublin Bay and also Salthill during the night. Don't be parking cars along the seafront in either place as onshore winds will coincide with peak tides at both locations. A strong southeasterly can cause seiche flows in Dublin Bay, and we all know about what happens in Salthill.

12Z analysis, showing Ellen 990 hPa northwest of the Galicia coast.

523493.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can we open a book on what time and windspeed we'll have at the salthill diving board and people in for a dip?

Edit. And of course the cars flooded in the car park :)

• Advertisement

12Z analysis, showing Ellen 990 hPa northwest of the Galicia

GL what are met Éireann seeing in the models that makes it red for Cork? Are they just ignoring the GFS/ICON?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Would bet on Waterford upgrading to red, maybe NW taken off Orange, possibly Wexford red. Moving more easterly across most charts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

cork actually looks very tame on both ICON and GFS now. not sure where this red is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Yeah, just got notification that they are closing the prom in Tramore from 4pm today until further notice. Will be a wild one regardless with high tide.

Hope there are no tents camped on the back strand like last week, they won't last long!! :eek:

12Z analysis, showing Ellen 990 hPa northwest of the Galicia

GL what are met Éireann seeing in the models that makes it red for Cork? Are they just ignoring the GFS/ICON?

This. Up to Force 12 just off the coast, according to their latest Harmonie run. They don't use the GFS.

523494.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not sure what model M.E is using now , looks to be ECM? Most models now show the east as orange

RubyK wrote: »
    Hope there are no tents camped on the back strand like last week, they won't last long!! :eek:

I've a feeling the circus vegas tent will be in my back garden in the morning, it has no sides on it so hopefully they put them on tonight :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I've a feeling the circus vegas tent will be in my back garden in the morning, it has no sides on it so hopefully they put them on tonight :D:D

I forgot about the Circus being there too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm kinda seeing it as not a massive issue on the Clare coast as its moving further east, seems to be a lot of uncertainty all the same. Still due to lack of flights in the air to collect weather data?

With all that said, I do live near the coast and there has been a huge exodus of campervans from the village today. Glad it's being taken relatively seriously, not cool having your campervan turned over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Probability maps for 1am tonight from the latest European.

Gusts greater than 48 knots:

vXG9T2z.png

And for gusts > 64 knots:

itEtO1I.png

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Is Dublin likely to go Orange? We have a socailly distanced group sunset walk planned in the local park at 9pm. Lots of trees and big branches there. Im thinking of canceling but so many mixed messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Well down at my house on the west cork coast now, will keep you all updated later on tonight I suppose haha. Expectations have dropped but since the coast is exposed might be a interesting night too! Very calm here atm though and very humid, not misting like the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Will tipperary be bad tonight, I have to travel from north to South tipp, I remember travelling during one of the storms last year and trees were falling on the road it was a nightmare, don't really want a repeat of that

This. Up to Force 12 just off the coast, according to their latest Harmonie run. They don't use the GFS.

Thanks for that. Seems areas around cork city and east cork at the biggest risk based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is Dublin likely to go Orange? We have a socailly distanced group sunset walk planned in the local park at 9pm. Lots of trees and big branches there. Im thinking of canceling but so many mixed messages.

Sunset walk in this weather...... Yeah. Erm..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement