Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine tenants evicted from north Dublin property by men in masks and dark clothing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

This is the most important bit, “That concern was about the appropriateness of the Garda presence and of some of the things that appeared to have been said, and about the fact that circumstances were allowed to develop where the impression was conveyed that the Garda Siochana had an active role in the event.”

But no impression was conveyed "that the Garda Siochana had an active role in the event" - I didn't see, or hear it.

It's alright to express concern, I suppose. But I don't understand why anyone should be concerned at the Garda being seen to be doing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

There’s people on Twitter claiming to have rented from ‘Theresa’ who was the woman filming.

They claim the house was in receivership since 2015 but ‘Theresa’ collected rent and refused to give back deposits.

The housing activists are ignoring this and supporting ‘Theresa’ in her demand for the council to give her a house.

In the meantime the activists and Councillor Chariddy man has set them up in the shop as the video highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

This is the most important bit, “That concern was about the appropriateness of the Garda presence and of some of the things that appeared to have been said, and about the fact that circumstances were allowed to develop where the impression was conveyed that the Garda Siochana had an active role in the event.”

That is your take on the most important bit. Their concerns are much longer than that in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Should the thread title perhaps be changed from "tenants" to "inhabitants" or just "people"?

Given that there are people claiming it is a squat

gibgodsman wrote: »
    So basically, correct if wrong, a landlord lost his property that he was renting to tenants years ago, he was collecting Rent ever since from tenants and receiving multiple eviction notices to which he ignored.

A court correctly rules that they have to vacate the property, through no fault of the tenants, yes a ****ty situation but it was completely caused by their landlord.

The repossession happens, the guards do their job correctly, everyone involved does their job correctly, but I should be angry at KBC and the Guards because they did their job?

Landlord is the only person any hate should be directed at here, yes people have been made homeless, but you cannot blame anyone on that but the dodgy landlord

The tenants solicitors are claiming that there were not given any/correct notice. Damage was found to be made the rooms and the tenants belongings when they returned to the property, which the Gardai are investigating. I haven't heard anyone complain about KBC. My understanding is that the loan was sold to a Goldman Sachs subsidiary that in turn sold it to an unnamed company/individual. The eviction happened two weeks later. The KBC complaints might have come from their history in previous Irish evictions, but I dont think that applies here (i could be corrected here).

• Advertisement

Fritzbox wrote: »
    But no impression was conveyed "that the Garda Siochana had an active role in the event" - I didn't see, or hear it.

It's alright to express concern, I suppose. But I don't understand why anyone should be concerned at the Garda being seen to be doing their job.

Exactly. Gardai called by tenants and then plastered all over Facebook because they uphold the law.

Should the thread title perhaps be changed from "tenants" to "inhabitants" or just "people"?

Given that there are people claiming it is a squat

The broadsheets differ from what people are claiming here. They are referred to as tenants. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/nine-tenants-evicted-from-north-dublin-property-by-men-in-masks-and-dark-clothing-1.4329482

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The police authority should have learned from previous high profile incidents and admitted that. One thing is clear is regular Gardai without training shouldn't be put in that position that we saw. The Garda being filmed saying that 'you have no right to be here' has caused as much of an issue as the eviction itself as it appears to be overseeing the eviction. One option is to train a number of Gardai per station or area how to appropriately deal in similar situations. During the court proceedings for an eviction order, a risk assessment could be undertaken to see what the possibility of an issue occurring and whether Gardai presence is appropriate. But it is a civil matter so possibly only if there is violence.

Definitely regulation of some sort is required. Bailiffs company should be clearly identified to stop rumours of loyalists coming down to do it or similar.

There should definitely be responsibility on the media not to report in a biased way without corroboration. I saw a headline from rte which states 'police authority have concerns about the eviction' which wasn't the story at all.

There has been so many contradictions that people will pick and choose from it.

How did the housing march go? I have not heard anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

That article says the landlord Gerry Ward said this and that. But if they place was sold recently, he is not the landlord.

What you read in the IT is a mix of hearsay, false and sensationalism.

No point quoting it.

That article says the landlord Gerry Ward said this and that. But if they place was sold recently, he is not the landlord.

What you read in the IT is a mix of hearsay, false and sensationalism.

No point quoting it.

Completely agree. I also read the building was part of a property fund. It would be a requirement that the fund would own it in that case and managed by a regulated entity or at least a registered entity. In situations where what is reported can become a divisive issue, press should follow guidelines and not report possible untruths from conflicted parties without corrobon.

Also interest groups shouldn't be given a platform where they denigrate others to push an agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

joeguevara wrote: »
    Completely agree. I also read the building was part of a property fund. It would be a requirement that the fund would own it in that case and managed by a regulated entity or at least a registered entity. In situations where what is reported can become a divisive issue, press should follow guidelines and not report possible untruths from conflicted parties without corrobon.

Also interest groups shouldn't be given a platform where they denigrate others to push an agenda.

Expecting the press to follow guidelines when their brief is to sell papers and gain revenue is short sighted. It has been happening for years where a sensational headline has been used to catch attention.

Ref The Sun Hillsborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Broadstone Bob

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20464135.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30828434.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30832328.html

A short summary of what Wards game is but read the 3 articles yourselves to get a better idea...

In 2016, the High Court prevented Mr Ward from dealing with, occupying, trespassing, and interfering with the Cherry Orchard property and the receivership.
    In Dec 2017 the receiver was till unable to gain possession and a single mother of 3 kids told the court she was paying rent to Ward but was judged to be an innocent party and given until mid Feb 2018 to move out.
    In mid Feb a judge directed that Ward must be brought before the High Court by gardai over alleged contempt of court orders not to interfere with the receivership of a property owned by him.
    In march he appeared in court representing himself and apologised for being in contempt of court but said the proceedings concerning the receivership were "not over by a long shot".

(edit: this is in regards to a cherry orchard property not the phibsboro property)

Expecting the press to follow guidelines when their brief is to sell papers and gain revenue is short sighted. It has been happening for years where a sensational headline has been used to catch attention.

Ref The Sun Hillsborough.

I agree to a point. The Hillsborough headline was circa 31 years ago and they had to apologise. Also it has ramifications and they are banned from a field. Press have an obligation to report the truth and some of what I've seen is skirting close to libel. It's probably impossible to implement but there has to be a line.

Interesting. I agree that the Gardai need better training on how to appropriately respond if they are called out to an eviction.

I dont agree that we should ignore the reporting of The Irish Times, The Irish Examiner, RTE and the rest of the news sources and instead listen to what people claim in this thread. Thats nonsense. Especially if this is based on how the Sun Newspaper handled the Hillsborough disaster 31 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

...I dont agree that we should ignore the reporting of The Irish Times, The Irish Examiner, RTE and the rest of the news sources and instead listen to what people claim in this thread. Thats nonsense. Especially if this is based on how the Sun Newspaper handled the Hillsborough disaster 31 years ago.

Nobody is ignoring the reporting of the newspapers. The fact is, they don't have the full facts on the matter of this eviction either so anyone else's speculation on the full facts are probably just as valid's as those coming from the national media.

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Nobody is ignoring the reporting of the newspapers.

That is what was suggested.
    What you read in the IT is a mix of hearsay, false and sensationalism. No point quoting it.

That is what was suggested.

Just to be clear I suggested stricter guidelines for journalists on issues such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

One thing I find fascinating about stories like this is how two groups of people can start off with preconceived notions about what happened, read the same news report and both still manage to come away convinced that they're correct and the other group wrong.

Welcome to Current Affairs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I have to agree, but again, a few posts back, I was accused of being a troll.
    Some people must wear blinkers.
    you would think they would have at least got a video of the guards or bailiff carrying in the big pile of rubbish in the hall . Some people here just love getting a dig a the guards or the banks without giving some little bit of thought on the subject first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This issue has gained no traction, so it's over now. Back to base folks.

Anyway it is the so called Silly Season and anything is worth a shot. But not this one it seems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

An article on the RTE website says
    The tenants have since returned to the property after the eviction was deemed invalid.

but I haven't seen that anywhere else till now

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0817/1159707-eviction/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

An article on the RTE website says

but I haven't seen that anywhere else till now

Who exactly deemed it invalid ?

And surely it's up the the people involved to contact the rtb not some minister demanding the rtb to get involved

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Gatling wrote: »
    Who exactly deemed it invalid ?

And surely it's up the the people involved to contact the rtb not some minister demanding the rtb to get involved

Yeah that's what I was wondering too, but there's no other information on it.

Well he's not demanding they get involved in a dispute, only that the RTB prioritise it if one is brought. He is though demanding a separate investigation for himself
    Mr O'Brien asks that the RTB prioritise any dispute that may be brought to it by the affected tenants in relation to the termination and also asks the board to "fully investigate" the matter and report back to him with recommendations as soon as possible.

Yeah that's what I was wondering too, but there's no other information on it.

Can't find any court listing today about it,and they returned that day after a sjw locksmith who gained access by what said on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This issue appears to be off he SJW agenda for now thankfully.

We are not hearing the full story at all, and probably never will now.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Good to see RTE reporting that the eviction was invalid and that they are back living in the house. Things are looking better for them than last week.

McHardcore wrote: »
    Things are looking better for them than last week.

Nice try !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

probably no rent paid in 2 years and a growhouse for all we know. pictures of tonnes of computer equipment and a lot of large PA speakers, theres something funny going on.

• Advertisement

That is an issue in itself. Every time one of these stories comes up without any facts it breeds division against the courts, banks, Gardai, legal system, landlords, etc. This division grows and grows with every other viral Facebook video or biased media report. Even if it is shown that the eviction was illegal and the Gardai were acting appropriately, those same people will bleat ‘cover up and conspiracy’. I agree that there should be transparency and a paper trail, but for fcuck sake everything is a conspiracy these days. The amount of people who were on social media saying that Leo (why him) created a fake video about Berlin bar to stop pubs opening up.

Advertisement