Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New meat plant - Banagher in County Offaly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

There's a planning objection in from a local guy for the plant. It was on the Midlands radio 3 bulletin yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The plant closing in Clare had nothing to do with the Beef Plan. I know why it closed but I won't say on here.

Ya it was too good to be true at times. Some of it was down to the demise of bull beef without it they struggled for supply during the winter.

Slava Ukrainii

Danzy wrote: »
    Ireland is closer to them than many global main markets that supply them now.

It's the scale of it, they could take our entire yearly kill and view it as a start, nothing significant.

Their demand rose Brazilian beef through the roof. Beef is now out of the price range of many middle class families in Brazil. China will take most of Brazil's beef in time.

The amount of beef exported global is quite small.

Brazilian beef is on the floor at present. China is quite picky about it good sources. I am not sure if Brazilian beef unless there really police there standards right will take massive amounts of it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

dont think chinese independent of any other factories would be any harm at all, let them in and start buying it will take a few out of the market and larry and the gang will just have to bid a bit higher if they want them. were as close prob closer than brazil and not even much further than NZ. whats the worst that will happen if the chinese come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

We're only 10 days by train from China....technically 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If you want to understand why China is so concerned about food security;

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Chinese take every part of a pig that's exported to them. Wouldn't be much offal left out of a bullock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dickie10 wrote: »
    dont think chinese independent of any other factories would be any harm at all, let them in and start buying it will take a few out of the market and larry and the gang will just have to bid a bit higher if they want them. were as close prob closer than brazil and not even much further than NZ. whats the worst that will happen if the chinese come in?

I don't know if it will have any effect on the trade tbh. They will have 2 choices either complete or comply. I know the one I'd choose if I owned a 40 m euro factory in the Midlands.

The big fear for the cartel is JSB or some big player of that statue. I'm surprised that they haven't made an attempt to open up here given we are the 4th largest beef exporters in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

its absolutley crazy to think were the 4th biggest beef exporter in world are you sure aboout that? i know were the 4 th biggest sheep exporter after NZ, Aus and UK which is also crazy for our size you have to wonder why do no other countires export meat, what do they do with all thier land? has anyone ever noticed the likes of canada and USA in particular vasy tracts of what should be very good meat produicng land under scrub , wild forest ? why were they never developed? could it still be possible to "stake a claim" in parts of the USA today as it was 100 years ago or less

The vast majority of most foods is not exported. The world trade in a commodity thus can be a distortion, usually downwards of it's value. Remember at one point some years ago, Argentina blocked exports of beef as it was limiting the home supply. So a country like Argentina can eat all its own beef.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭kk.man

its absolutley crazy to think were the 4th biggest beef exporter in world are you sure aboout that? i know were the 4 th biggest sheep exporter after NZ, Aus and UK which is also crazy for our size you have to wonder why do no other countires export meat, what do they do with all thier land? has anyone ever noticed the likes of canada and USA in particular vasy tracts of what should be very good meat produicng land under scrub , wild forest ? why were they never developed? could it still be possible to "stake a claim" in parts of the USA today as it was 100 years ago or less

https://www.enterprise-ireland.com/en/Start-a-Business-in-Ireland/Food-Investment-from-Outside-Ireland/Key-Sectors/Meat-and-Livestock/#:~:text=Ireland%20is%20the%20fifth%20largest,exporter%20of%20beef%20in%20Europe.

It's 5th now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I think it’s more to do with Ireland being sparsely populated compared to other countries.
    We can grow a low more food than we need - so we export more...

Lots of other countries are the opposite...

I wonder what the origins of this are? I imagine he famine and reduction in the population had a part to play, but not sure how much... be interesting to understand if and how much...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

kk.man wrote: »
    I don't know if it will have any effect on the trade tbh. They will have 2 choices either complete or comply. I know the one I'd choose if I owned a 40 m euro factory in the Midlands.

The big fear for the cartel is JSB or some big player of that statue. I'm surprised that they haven't made an attempt to open up here given we are the 4th largest beef exporters in the world.

they own moypark chicken so theyre already here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m sure disposal of their offal will be tied to their participation in MII

Is that not the problem?
    From my reading of the plans they will handle all their own offal plus have capacity to take in from other plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »

There's for and against in everything, extra demand is good when a product is scarce. I remember being in Rungis meat market in France years ago and a buyer was telling us he was delighted with the Irish processors competing with each other to supply him, every price cheaper than the last. Prices were bad at the time though
    He also encouraged us to produce R and U3s as he could develop a market for that standard, The supply of E s and Us wasn't dependable enough to contract to supply a market

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

They'll probably eat the offal. I've been to China. I was in a new factory built by a foreign company. The canteen was full of very young workers. Their dinner was fish heads and rice and they were glad of it. I was told for most, it would be their only meal for the day.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I think it’s more to do with Ireland being sparsely populated compared to other countries.

I wonder what the origins of this are? I imagine he famine and reduction in the population had a part to play, but not sure how much... be interesting to understand if and how much...

While we have a low population versus country size in a European sense that is not the total story. We are one of the few countries that can finish cattle off grass alone. Most other countries used feedlots to finish cattle or grow crops such as turnips or oats to finish cattle outside.

We have a huge output versus land size. Even the UK our closest neighbour dose not have our grazing season. In alots of other countries like the USA, Brazil and Australia ranchers actually sell the cattle as either weanlings or stores. If sold to weanling usually it is what is called feeders I think that buy them. They take the calves to about 350-400 kgs before they are send to feedlots. Some feedlots do this task themselves. Feedlots then intensively feed to final slaughter weight.

The stocking rates can be very low but the area I volved huge. 10+ acres can be required to carry a cow on a grazing only system. I. The US they are limited by the severity of there winters and maybe drought in summer I places like Texas. In Australia it the summer drought that limits there ability to produce more

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The origins were likely to do with feeding the empire and how long we were an agricultural based economy compared to other western countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

When you see the hardship here with 2 days of snow or 2 weeks of dry weather, how would you expect them to manage with 4 months of snow or dry weather

Desertification is the problem. When trees and scrub gone in this sort of country it burns up and the top soil is blown away. In the 20+30,s in the US you had what were called dust bowls as huge dust storms made the country unlivable.

On staking a claim it no longer an option in the US and Canada. However it still possible in Brazil. You just need a box of matches.....and a gun to shoot the indegenous people

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Will this factory be much benefit to Banagher and surrounding area ?
    Will all workers be on minimum wage and shipped in from the poorest parts of Latvia or Bulgaria like Larry Goodmans meat factories?..these people will then be housed twenty to a house and charged over the odds . By the time they send home a hundred euro to their familys theyll only have enough for a packet of frozen burgers in LIDL. Sad stuff to make the owners even richer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Will this factory be much benefit to Banagher and surrounding area ?
    Will all workers be on minimum wage and shipped in from the poorest parts of Latvia or Bulgaria like Larry Goodmans meat factories?..these people will then be housed twenty to a house and charged over the odds . By the time they send home a hundred euro to their familys theyll only have enough for a packet of frozen burgers in LIDL. Sad stuff to make the owners even richer.

If you expect to be paid more for your beef, there will be no other way to staff a meat factory.

Farmer owned factories have existed in the past, but failed as they could not employ or enforce such rigid work structures...in other words, they were soft.

These MII boys are slave drivers...quiet quiet brilliant businessesmen..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

alps wrote: »
    If you expect to be paid more for your beef, there will be no other way to staff a meat factory.

Farmer owned factories have existed in the past, but failed as they could not employ or enforce such rigid work structures...in other words, they were soft.

These MII boys are slave drivers...quiet quiet brilliant businessesmen..

Even if a newcomer starts up and gives more to farmers, where are they going with the beef, they still have to compete with those there already going into supermarkets here and in the UK and compete with Poland etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Well to put it into perspective, in pre famine years we had a population half the size of England, if we had kept our population size and growth, today we wouldn't be exporting much of anything except people.

We were the largest exporter of butter long before the famine also significant grain exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    We were the largest exporter of butter long before the famine also significant grain exports.

We kept Suffolk and Norfolk supplied with weanling cattle too.
    So much so that laws were brought in by wigs from the north and sw of England to stop the imports of Irish cattle.
    The Importation Act 1667.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

148multi wrote: »
    Well to put it into perspective, in pre famine years we had a population half the size of England, if we had kept our population size and growth, today we wouldn't be exporting much of anything except people.

We also fed our own and much of England's population.

Even in the famine years Ireland was producing enough to feed 20 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Danzy wrote: »
    We also fed our own and much of England's population.

Even in the famine years Ireland was producing enough to feed 20 million.

You know it's horrific to think about it ...what it must of being like during the famine.
    Is it taught in English schools ?
    There completely oblivious to there past.

richie123 wrote: »
    You know it's horrific to think about it ...what it must of being like during the famine.

Most people are oblivious to the effects of the famine, you may be surprised to hear some families are still suffering as a result of it.

• Advertisement

richie123 wrote: »

Most people are oblivious to the effects of the famine, you may be surprised to hear some families are still suffering as a result of it.

Advertisement