Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New meat plant - Banagher in County Offaly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

wrangler wrote: »
    Bonuses mean nothing if the base price is kept down, we get great bonuses on our lambs but look where the base price quoted from Camolin is every week.
    IFA is forever on to CPPC since they were fined in 2001, Don't ever think factories are afraid of you, I've been through a lot more wars than you with them.
    They'll let you rot at the gates before they give in

That has never been tested since. When the cartel can’t use the high court to pin down an organisation and would have to injunct thousands of farmers individually it changes the game. The cartel got the first rattle since 2001.

You are correct in me not bothering again as the lesson I learned/or forgot! I that beef farming is dominated by independent wealth. Large sfp payments, spousal income, independent wealth or income and of course the old age pensions be they state or private.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,081 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jjameson wrote: »
    That has never been tested since. When the cartel can’t use the high court to pin down an organisation and would have to injunct thousands of farmers individually it changes the game. The cartel got the first rattle since 2001.

You are correct in me not bothering again as the lesson I learned/or forgot! I that beef farming is dominated by independent wealth. Large sfp payments, spousal income, independent wealth or income and of course the old age pensions be they state or private.

Two pensions here and there'll be four next year, but I can assure you none of them will be subsidising beef cattle but if guys want to do it that's their right.
    Farmers mightn't have as much patience with those blocking the gates the next time that crowd try it

Two pensions here and there'll be four next year, but I can assure you none of them will be subsidising beef cattle but if guys want to do it that's their right.
    Farmers mightn't have as much patience with those blocking the gates the next time that crowd try it
    Ploughing some well ploughed ground here again.
    Yet again you have pulled a thread skeaways off topic to pedal your pro ifa narrative. Can you explain the silence from the ifa instead of any support for this initiative?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

still no word from IFA ? heads buried in sand again?

Dickie10 wrote: »

It'll just be another factory to whinge about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I wonder why the Chinese "partners" application failed the IIP criteria?

From the Agriland article that I posted previously - "Applications are, the documents state, assessed by the IIP on the basis of the: profile of the applicant; commercial viability of the project; employment outcomes associated with the proposed investment; and the overall benefit to the Irish state"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

Have you been on to them?

alps wrote: »
    Have you been on to them?

That'd be sensible but it'd be easier to whinge on
    There's a Livestock rep at the end of the phone in every county and they're likely to be a farmer which the beef plan reps probably are not.
    In their rush to pile more costs on the factories, Beef plan are too sad to realise that for every 20c/kilo extra processing cost there will be 20c/kilo less for the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

That'd be sensible but it'd be easier to whinge on
    There's a Livestock rep at the end of the phone in every county and they're likely to be a farmer which the beef plan reps probably are not.
    In their rush to pile more costs on the factories, Beef plan are too sad to realise that for every 20c/kilo extra processing cost there will be 20c/kilo less for the animal.

if extra costs are incurred by Apple when making Iphones those costs are added to the price of the phone and the end user picks up the tab... why is different with farm produce whether its beef milk poultry lamb etc....

if extra costs are incurred by Apple when making Iphones those costs are added to the price of the phone and the end user picks up the tab... why is different with farm produce whether its beef milk poultry lamb etc....

Maybe because it's only Apple make iPhones...

• Advertisement

Maybe because it's only Apple make iPhones...

And a cartel of 6 millionaire/billionaire families dominate the processing of Irish and uk beef. I suppose the lack of farmers ringing the ifa reps shows their irrelevance as a representative body. At one time you could of trusted that they wouldn’t need to be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Apple are selling their iphones to you, me and every other mug in the planet. We will buy it if it costs 500 or 520 - we have no buying power to drive down the sales price

The factories are selling their produce to supermarkets and major corporations - who will drive down the factory selling price as low as they can, and that's what they are doing. Farmers sales prices is being sacrificed so the end consumer can have cheap meat whilst at the same time the middle men of factories and supermarkets maintain their profit margin

And a cartel of 6 millionaire/billionaire families dominate the processing of Irish and uk beef. I suppose the lack of farmers ringing the ifa reps shows their irrelevance as a representative body. At one time you could of trusted that they wouldn’t need to be asked.

So that's your excuse for not bothering to be involved,, you also say you're sick of Beef Plan, that's why I say that farmers are authors of their own misfortune.
    You've got €150m this year and still whinge, you're starting to sound like bold children now.
    Surely considering the inability of some farmers to run a successful business, they should be admiring the beef processors instead of begrudging them.
    You won't find me at the gates of ICM

So that's your excuse for not bothering to be involved,, you also say you're sick of Beef Plan, that's why I say that farmers are authors of their own misfortune.
    You've got €150m this year and still whinge, you're starting to sound like bold children now.
    Surely considering the inability of some farmers to run a successful business, they should be admiring the beef processors instead of begrudging them.
    You won't find me at the gates of ICM

I was never a beef plan advocate. Never attended a meeting and only joined the protest when it went solo farmers, 3.45 a kg and a slaney meat procurement manager predicting 3.00 by Christmas irked me to go shake my fist at the gates. But with regard to being sick Beef plan of Id say bar your obsession with them on the wouldn’t cross my radar at all. The politics are so nuts they are nonexistent in reality.
    And admiration of greed, bullies, criminals never will never happen no matter what kind of pickle I make of trying to make a few bob from farming!

Back on topic the Icmsa are asking the questions on this.
    Is there something more than farmers not bothering to ask the ifa to do the same?
    It is curious.
    In all likelihood the chances of Irish prime beef getting any meaningful price against Uruguayan beef in china or being viable at face value is unlikely. It’s a useful market for offal and low value trim but the political trade situation make it an unlikely proposition in any case.
    The beef would have to headed for the markets in the uk and Europe as the rest surely. Is it just a case of a cover story for the purchase of passports?

I was never a beef plan advocate. Never attended a meeting and only joined the protest when it went solo farmers, 3.45 a kg and a slaney meat procurement manager predicting 3.00 by Christmas irked me to go shake my fist at the gates. But with regard to being sick Beef plan of Id say bar your obsession with them on the wouldn’t cross my radar at all. The politics are so nuts they are nonexistent in reality.
    And admiration of greed, bullies, criminals never will never happen no matter what kind of pickle I make of trying to make a few bob from farming!

Back on topic the Icmsa are asking the questions on this.
    Is there something more than farmers not bothering to ask the ifa to do the same?
    It is curious.
    In all likelihood the chances of Irish prime beef getting any meaningful price against Uruguayan beef in china or being viable at face value is unlikely. It’s a useful market for offal and low value trim but the political trade situation make it an unlikely proposition in any case.
    The beef would have to headed for the markets in the uk and Europe as the rest surely. Is it just a case of a cover story for the purchase of passports?

I'd have very little hope of it coming to anything, the world price will have to change to have any meaningful improvement in Ireland.
    Farmers annoying their customers will only make it worse and them spreading lies has really blown our credibility

I'd have very little hope of it coming to anything, the world price will have to change to have any meaningful improvement in Ireland.
    Farmers annoying their customers will only make it worse and them spreading lies has really blown our credibility

Ah dry up and change the record! Dirty Larries antics hardly put a prime product up in lights.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263628/amp/Horsemeat-supermarket-burgers-Larry-Goodman-multi-millionaire-contaminated-food-supplier.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Any word on the Banagher Beef Plant or have the IFA and Larry put that to bed?

Any word on the Banagher Beef Plant or have the IFA and Larry put that to bed?

There's nearly twenty plants in Ireland already, how many more do you want,
    Did the Kepak plant in clare ever open after beef plan closed it down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Chinese would be better off buying a small player in Ireland and expanding their their operation.

That said they could buy every factory and consider the lot as a very small operation.

Danzy wrote: »
    The Chinese would be better off buying a small player in Ireland and expanding their their operation.

That said they could buy every factory and consider the lot as a very small operation.

Bord bia even brought a chinese guy to our farm and introduced him as the equivalent of Larry goodman multiplied by ten....... imagine the begrudgery against him by farmers here.
    We had ewes lambing at the time and he was fascinated by the care the ewes took of their newborns.
    china has the most sheep in the world, we must have been just hobby farmers to him at 550 ewes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Every little no doubt would help for consumption of beef,but would China really be a market for our best beef products?

Long journey away too and they want everything cheap don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,414 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

ruwithme wrote: »
    Every little no doubt would help for consumption of beef,but would China really be a market for our best beef products?

Long journey away too and they want everything cheap don't they?

Ireland is closer to them than many global main markets that supply them now.

It's the scale of it, they could take our entire yearly kill and view it as a start, nothing significant.

Their demand rose Brazilian beef through the roof. Beef is now out of the price range of many middle class families in Brazil. China will take most of Brazil's beef in time.

The amount of beef exported global is quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Brazilian beef is cheap though by comparison to ours,China might eat it all in a month or less maybe, but would they be prepared to pay for it??

ruwithme wrote: »
    Brazilian beef is cheap though by comparison to ours,China might eat it all in a month or less maybe, but would they be prepared to pay for it??

China is our market for wool and we know where the price of that is, wool buyers here claim they're hard to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I don't think this factory will make any difference.
    There's plenty of extra capacity in all other existing factories if the demand for product was there.
    There's bigger problems facing beef in the line of climate and the vegan agenda

It's not about a factory. It's about a buyer other than the existing MII stranglehold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The plant closing in Clare had nothing to do with the Beef Plan. I know why it closed but I won't say on here.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It's not about a factory. It's about a buyer other than the existing MII stranglehold.

But won’t any new factory be represented by MII?

But won’t any new factory be represented by MII?

Not unless they get into bed with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not unless they get into bed with them.

I’m sure disposal of their offal will be tied to their participation in MII

Advertisement