Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

On the subject of Inverter cooling, I was thinking about ordering a PS4 cooler. The auto mode runs when it’s above 40deg and it’s powered by USB

ElecGear PS4 Slim Turbo Cooling Fan, External USB Automatic Temperature Sensor Controlled Radiator Heat Exhaust for PlayStation 4 Slim CUH-2xxx

https://amzn.eu/d/8nrmp5g

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

With the Zappi it defaults on Eco+ to turning off after 30seconds e.g. dark clouds passing, but you can change this in the settings to extend up to 2minutes, this is what I have done and leave on Eco+ only

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@slave1 if you're a Zappi export, pop over to the PV troubleshooting thread...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Its the panel heat, in may/June id flatline at 6kw with 8kwp

This weather I hardly break 5.5kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭paulbok

Going to be close to yesterdays record again, another 20kWh exported.

Boards.ie keeping the grid alive 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭DC999

Yeah, my inverters are outside on a wall so not roasting in an attic. So looks like panel heat for me, not inverter heat. We'd a 22% drop in highest output today (clear blue sky scorcher) compared to a sunny but cooler more cloudy Sunday. Thought got more output overall today compared to that day. I hit over 100% of the string capacity that Sunday at times (2.8kw when max is 2.7). But the curve was like the blades of a saw (up and down). Only hit max of 2.1kw today on that string but beautiful curve (1st textbook curve we've seen since went live a few weeks ago).  

I thought I’d finally crack 50kWh today but topped out at 47. An almost perfect curve though, apart from that single stray cloud at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Right - who else thought that looks like something else :-) ? LOL

I’m disappointed I didn’t spot it.

42.1kWh today.

Imported 3kWh due to a brain fart this morning. Exported 4kWh due to the Zappi going bananas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

3rd day in a row with 42kwh must be a world record for Irish PV systems 😂

160kwh in 4 days, shame about 55kwh exported though but everything is full/done.

I take it all you folk in the 40s have south facing systems?

My poor old west facing string barely gets out of bed til lunchtime lol.

Today is going to be better in the Midlands, leaving for work at 6:30 and the mist was already gone and pure blue skies, panel temp and lower sun our only downsides today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

East west hit 33, 120 for the last 4 days.

Clearly see 3kw of a difference from East vs west, down to trees. Maybe I shouldn't have chased the neighbours away from my ash trees. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

4th day in a row produced over 40 kWh (42 kWh total) which is 92% of my max production.

Really happy in that I used 96% of the PV yesterday and practically all of that went into the EV. Zappi did a stellar job yesterday as you can see from the graph. Today the Car is at 66% so I don't think I will get to those usage percentages today but I might get a few more washes on or as one other poster said here, put a sign up at the gate "Free Electricity"....😁

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

I have to ask.. what is the shame in exporting? if you've used and stored all the power that you can.. honestly. Feed in tariff / export payment means you aren't suffering financially.. the mind boggles.

It's a bit of a PV anomaly, on shady days we want more PV so we're not importing and on overtly sunny days there's emotional grief when exporting (well, not self-consuming)...not shared by all. I'm in work today so water will be maxed soon and timed machines complete also then I'll be pissing it to the grid and I'm not bothered, really I'm not, not in any way, well maybe plays on my mind a little bit, is a bit annoying, fuk it anyhow, givin it away for free, grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

but surely you'll just be banking the FIT credit while at work today? the value of which i suppose depends on who you're with.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Its not so much the giving it away for free it's them f3ckers charging full whack to my neighbours for it gets on my wick and they know it all to well. Would love to know the how much the networks got paid for what they never generated over the last 10 years or so..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭paulbok

FIT is a relatively new consideration, I've never factored it into any meaningful calculations (payback etc) until recently. Anyone with PV for a decent amount of time is probably still in the same mindset as me that exported units are dead units, so want to maximise usage.

That will change soon enough I'm sure, once the cash comes flowing in from FIT 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I think that's true Paul - certainly it is for me. In the past, in some respects you'd already "paid" for that electricity that you are exporting in terms of that €8-10K solar installation cost, and then to see those units going out the cable for nought rankled us. We'll need a couple of billing cycles for that thinking to change I reckon.

I for one am quite looking forward to having some credit every year in my account from summer which will help offset the winter charges. Still, if you can increase your self-consumption that's always a good thing to do.

Naa, from my dead hands before I sign up for FIT!!!!!! Just messing, I won't touch FIT/Smart Meter as I need 1MWh a month to charge our two EVs and that will be highly reliant on Night Rate for half the year. FIT/Smart Meter does not have a low enough Night Rate cost at present

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

52kWh Tuesday and 53kWh yesterday, had a 'grid over voltage' alarm that dropped the system out for a few minutes. Was away for the day so exported most of it.

Expecting similar numbers for the rest of the week, EV now back plugged in so should make use of most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

would have thought the same @slave1 in this temp but the last couple of days which have been warmer it is the same, will hit the 6.3-6.4kWh limit and sit there for the day.

Temp. graph of inverter from yesterday, peaked at 60.8°. Have a large fan with an automation set up to come on which helps a little but with a large roof facing south these days it is just blowing warm air, attic space hit 38° yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Except no one here has yet got payment for FIT (maybe the lad with PINERGY)....or seen the exact T&Cs of FIT, its still all up in the air tbh with a lot of if buts and maybes....is there a cap on how much you can export, tax on the payment different rates for each supplier

Now I do think if the FIT was around 12-14 cent I would seriously think about moving my EV charging to a smart unit rate of around 9cent and let the PV export away during the day. I think it would be better for the car and it would simplify the whole management of your PV production

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have got mid 40's for the last couple of days on a non South facing system. 4kW east and 4kW West but at low angles.

Bit disappointing in one way based on some of the daily figures here that I have not hit 50kWh any day.

But 350kWh after the first 10 days of the month I am happy with.

Yup I get that its a mindset change and it will take the money to start flowing. There are a few providers committed to 14c. Possibly I was just lucky to be with SSE and they seem to be best organized.

Just to update, I went with meross. All good, easy setup. Just a note that home assistant doesn't at this stage support them out of the box, it is via HACS. But I've just got them running via the meross schedule for now as its basic.

I am wondering if anyone could recommend a smart contactor which would be suitable for 16A immersion. I wasn't able to get my head around the cost of eddi and paying it back so I just want to run the immersion for an hour or 2 a night.

• Advertisement

Yea you are right, a switch is probably better as it gives manual control. I'll hunt around on amazon. Thanks

Advertisement