Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

My 6.01kw plant - house shades 12 panels most of the day this time of year and the other 7 get shaded a lot by the roof of the house :(. Going to add another 4 panels once weather is warmer above the 7 on the shed roof - they should do better on days like today

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭idc

3.9 kWh from SE/SW 4.65kWp. Like Deagol shading is my biggest issue, neighbours roof and trees block SW roof for much of the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have nearly half of my panels south facing, but it's been a horrible day in Donegal. Sunshine one minute, then hailstones, then solid grey clouds.

2.8kWh total and a ridiculous charge curve.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

9kWh here in Fingal. 😎

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I feel your pain too, But you gotta work with what we got :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

I think I feel the same for people in the South of the country! Thought I was doing well with 5.9kwh from my 6.1kw SE/SW system in Galway but feeling a little jealous of those with much higher numbers🙂.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

11.9kwh here in galway but cloud continually came to make my curve brilliant then nothing then brilliant then nothing ....and repeat.

Tomorrow looks like a much better day and only charged batteries for one hour on night rate so will see if that was a bad decision or not in the morning 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

12.6kWh generated yesterday, a few peaks and troughs throughout the day so could have been better.

Going by the forecast today should be great, not looking like it at the moment with great cloud cover in south Roscommon☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Looks like there will be some clouds today afterall.

Ireland Visible - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service

Hopefully they'll burn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

A bit of cloud cover this morning but burnt off, now that its gone it seems I am generating more than yesterday at the equivalent time. Lets see how it pans out

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

Should have known that as soon as I decided not to charge batteries last night on cheap rate that the forecasted beautiful morning wouldn't arrive. Cloudy all morning and max generation so far is 500w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

5.1kwh produced yesterday on a 4.2kWp system after a good start I'd say I'll be lucky to do half that as the clouds have rolled in North Kildare

never had as much interest in weather and forecasts, will be developing SAD at this rate 🤣

Watch this thread around 16:38 today when the sun goes down....a flurry of posts of the days results. I have my system only up and running since October so its a bit of an obsession of mine now looking at solar PV graphs

Getting back to today... I would have though yesterday and today would be almost exactly the same... no clouds, only a day apart, temp roughly the same. But as you can see from the graph below I am generating nearly 500w more than the equivalent yesterday...

Must have been a haze yesterday - or the temperature higher. Panels are pretty sensitive to temp. It's cold today, 4C here in Dublin. Should work in it's favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sun is blazing now in Galway. Cracking day.

Generating 3kWh as I type.

Yep thankfully came out later in afternoon for me here and batteries up to 94%. Amazing what a difference 2 or 3 hours of sun does as 7 KW gone into batteries and washer and dryer working away 😁. Bring on the summer!

Took a while to get going in the end, would have expected at least double going on the forecast, c'est la vie I suppose. 12:00-14:00 would be about the sweet spot at this time of year for us and would be peaking at over 5kWh during these hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Poor start but good overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Would it be helpful if people posted the size of their systems along with production? I know we could get carried away with types of panel and orientation etc but just having the kWp size would make it more of a useful thread/comparison?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

We're meant to.. when the thread started but it's easy to forget. Also you'll soon remember who has what..

And we have the spreadsheet now too.

Its amazing what the temp can do for performance generated 19.3 kWh in total today vs 17.8 kWh yesterday which is about 8.5% increase on a similar day just the temp being a few degrees cooler. There was frost on the ground all day here in shaded areas.

Lost a small bit in the morning due to some cloud cover

(6.1 kWp system)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

With the spreadsheet, this thread is more of an off-topic chat now. And I'm okay with that.

That's interesting.

To be fair while temp does effect the panels, your difference wasn't completely down to temp. Depends on the panel, but most of them have a performance coefficient of about 0.4% per 1C, so if it was 10C colder than yesterday that would explain ~4%. There's also some lower limit that once you get to it doesn't improve any further, but I can't remember what that limit is.

How Temperature Affects Solar Panel Efficiency (renvu.com)

Since it wasn't 10C cooler today over yesterday, there was probably some high level clouds also at play.

Past Weather in Cork, Ireland — Yesterday or Further Back (timeanddate.com)

Aside: In theory because today is simply later in the year than yesterday , the sun would be higher. However the daily change is based on where we are on a sine wave....and right now we're pretty close to the bottom of that sine wave. i.e. fairly minimal changes.

It's interesting though your change. Shame tomorrow is poo poo (weather wise) as I'd love to see what 3 good days in a row would have yielded

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Would ye all fek off with your double digit generations, must be pure uninterrupted South facing and high angle panels

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

LOL - to cheer you up slave....

Blue skies from about 11am here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

2.2 for me, covering base load this time of the year is all, such is life

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

2.5... woohoo, there's someone worse off than me ;) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2.2 here also.

My target daily average for January is 3.1kWh.

Currently averaging about 1.7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

8.2 kWh today

5.7 kWp SW system.

Generated roughly the same between yesterday and today as the previous 2 weeks combined.

Advertisement