Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No optimisers. No shading issues here even at this time even year when sun is low in the sky.

The sky in your photo is very blue looking! Never lifted here at all. Dull and grey in every direction. Will take a photo tomorrow for reference. Wonder are Dublin Mountains providing you a microclimate?

Forecast here looking a bit better for Thursday. About time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Microclimate - possibly. But that aside, I was producing ~200 watts from 10:30am -> 1pm. Isolating out this period of 2.5 hrs x 200 watts = 0.5Kwhr, which is still 5x times more than your entire day. For that period it was completely overcast and dark. No sun could be seen through the clouds. It did clear up about lunchtime as mentioned and then I took the photo linked. I'm working from home all day tomorrow. Happily take a few snaps out the window at at few different times and we can compare notes.

Don't know how much effort you want to spend on it - but plugging your details into

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP%20that's%20the%20calculator%20for%20Europe,

your forecast for Dec is 148Kwhr, considering your 2/3rd of the way through the month, how are you looking at reaching that target? Might be that your panels aren't optimized for diffuse lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Thankfully back up to a 0.7kw reading from yesterday's low of 0.1kw! My highest this month was 7.9kw on 5th Dec. I think cloud thickness and low level yesterday was the main reason for such a low reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Like Jonathan we had a shocker on Monday, 0.3kWh generated. Yesterday was a bit better but not by much and today is shaping up to be like Monday, nothing generated as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I had 10 x 380w panels, a solis inverter and an Eddi installed a few weeks ago. I am using Solarman to monitor generation and myenergi to monitor usage - I have a CT clamp so that I can see generation on myenergi as well, but it is not installed yet.

I have just started properly tracking everything and I would appreciate some help to make sure I am reading these numbers correctly as from the myenergi app it looks like everything the house is using is pulling from the grid. So, for example, on the 14th Dec,

Generated: 5.3 (source: Solarman)

Exported: 1.4 (source: myenergi)

House usage: 6 (source: house icon on myenergi)

Grid usage: 6.1 (source: pylon icon on myenergi)

Eddi: 1.4 (source: tank icon on myenergi)

This is the same story for every day in that the house usage is = to grid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Just post a screen pic from when it's generating and maybe when not

sunshine at last, hallelujah

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Did you charge the EV last night or are you running a grow house? 😂

🤣🤣🤣 long journey ahead today so EV charged, harvesting was done so can power down the grow house😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wish I could get away with 33kW, I'm well North of 80kW the whole time between high battery EV's, storage heater and hot water demands

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

You are pulling 80kWh each night?!? Are you on a 16kVA supply?

car was over half charged so could have been double that, 77kWh battery plus other loads could have us a 80+ also, thankfully wouldn't be charging the car that much every week, 80+ would be an exception.

Standard 60amp feed will take 10kW no problem, that's car+hot water+storage heater for 8 hours at night rate and whatever else used throughout the day

I know that, but take a bit more work to balance the various loads, particularly if you don't have a EVSE with a CT clamp. Easier having a bit more headroom.

Having said all that, I just looked back at my stats and I pulled 46kWh yesterday. 😂

My EV is load balanced as I have electric shower, long term EV owner and no escaping high night rate due to my dependancy on electricity, which I have no problem with and will be moving to 12kWp next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I think from your setup, you have no battery correct? So in that case the only way you will consume the solar generated power is when the suns output matches or exceeds the house needs. The house draw will be variable at times... say a kettle for example... and the sun too is very variable and in winter not very powerful. Its rarely going to match up so most draw will be grid.

The battery would help "fill the gap" and anything the house needs that exceeds the actual solar generation that moment... Will help, but only to a limit that the battery can output. So a kettle for example needs a lot of power for a short burst you may still need some grid to fill that need.

Much better yesterday, hopefully continues until the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭handpref

A massive 1.8kwh yesterday, best day of December was 2.2kwh.

5.4 kwp East West

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Here’s mine for yesterday. Great in the morning but …

• Advertisement

Correct, no battery. On that particular day, if I generated 5.3, of which I exported 1.4 and 1.4 went to the Eddi, that says to me that the house consumed the remaining 2.5kWh. I would have expected from that the grid usage would be around 2.5 less than house usage, unless I am fundamentally misunderstanding something.

I think the logic that you outline above is on the money jethro, however I'm not really seeing a question here? Some of the charts that you posted were at 15:30 so you obviously had more consumption that day which wasn't recorded (at the time).

As far as I can tell things look like workthing good for you.

Yes, sorry I confused the issue by posting charts for yesterday rather than the example that I gave.

Just using the numbers I gave from the original example and not the charts, what I am trying to understand is why myenergi says that grid usage (6.1kwh) and house usage (6kwh) are the same. I would have expected grid usage to show 3.5kwh.

5.3 (generated) - 1.4 (exported) - 1.4(eddi) = 2.5 used by the house

It's the same for every day - grid usage on myenergi does not reflect what solar generated and was used by the house

Thanks that helps, but unfortunately I'm not totally seeing it. However, what may help explain is that the Eddi usage is often considered "part of the house usage", so your double substracting the eddi there.

To use your own figures, you have...

Generated: 5.3 (source: Solarman)

Exported: 1.4 (source: myenergi)

Grid usage: 6.1 (source: pylon icon on myenergi)

Or to put it another way, that

includes

if you follow me.

I would expect

House usage = (Generated - exported) + Grid usage.

House usage = (5.3 - 1.4) + 6.1

House usage = 10 Kwhr

I suspect you have a clamp wrong somewhere - but very difficult (impossible) to tell remotely. Possibly the "grid CT clamp" might be located incorrectly - but I'm guessing.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Santa brought me a new production record; 0.0 kWh 🎅

Thermal didn't do any better. Barely managed to raise the collector 2°C!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ha yep 0.8kwh here..

And between charging the car and the ovens.. 65kwh in the last 24 hrs

Likewise a very happy Christmas to all the renewable proponents here! No car but averaging 45 Kwhr / day here at the moment, what with ovens and lights on full blast across the house.

Jonathan, I also achieved a all-time record today. Dec 25th = 0.4 Kwhr. Lowest day since I got the installation in, including "storm bara". Monthly december yield so far? 46.5kwhr

Still think there's something off there for you on the days of very poor production. Even on a terrible day like today, your south facing panel should be beating my east/west split, yet I'm rocking in with +400% of what you have (rounding errors aside) . The engineer in me would love to know the reason however I'm unable to come up with one. My best effort is that the panels I have (q-cells) are better at dealing with "diffuse" light than your panels - but when the sun is shining your 4.8Kwp destroys my 5.3Kwp.....so they definetely are working, just not on the grim days.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Today’s work…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Our panels were installed in early November but due to several issues, I've only been generating for the last 10 days so don't have much to compare to. I see very similar low output to above on these dark days. It's a 4.18kWp system with 11x 380W Q-Cells and Solis-1P3.6K-4G inverter. The split is 1.52kWp south-west and 2.66kWp south-east. Today was my worse so far just .2kwh generated going by the Solarman app the inverter started at 9:30 and shutdown at 17:00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Advertisement