Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

On a separate note, anyone having issues with the redemption of the gift ?
    Website offers option of the gaming bundle or Buds, but doesn't seem to go further than that.

Have to get onto them about that, once I'm finished with Virgin and their up'n'down Internet service today :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭jv2000

McDermotX wrote: »
    On a separate note, anyone having issues with the redemption of the gift ?
    Website offers option of the gaming bundle or Buds, but doesn't seem to go further than that.

Have to get onto them about that, once I'm finished with Virgin and their up'n'down Internet service today :mad:

Yes having an issue as well. I was validated but the link in the email brings me to a page with dead links when I make my choice. Was going to contact customer care later today or tomorrow, I thought it might have resolved by now as I am sure they are receiving plenty of complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Battery life is definitely down a bit compared to the Note 10 plus 5G but I do get 8+ hours of average SoT even though I use the 120hz variable setting only.
    It took about a week to get to that point.
    I'm sure Samsung will be coming out with a few updates optimising the battery over the next couple of months.

Battery life is definitely down a bit compared to the Note 10 plus 5G but I do get 8+ hours of average SoT even though I use the 120hz variable setting only.
    I'm sure Samsung will be coming out with a few updates optimising the battery over the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If you're not in or have no access to 5g make sure it's not trying to connect to 5g. Switch to LTE. Should save some battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

JH_raheny wrote: »

Battery is fairly weak, though I swapped to 60 hz QHD setting and it helped a bit, coming from Note 9 it is a down a bit, definitely feels like Note 8 battery time. Phone is way better than them so I can take the hit, will have to invest in a smaller power pack to help in case of emergency. Between car and in work I can easily charge and it seems to charge fairly quick, out on the mountains for the day or on a session I may have to drop it to energy saving mode. Up since 6am (Now 1pm) on light use and it is 56% now.
    cookie1977 wrote:
    If you're not in or have no access to 5g make sure it's not trying to connect to 5g. Switch to LTE. Should save some battery.

Going to try that now, more chance of getting 6G where I am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Also having issues with dead links on the Samsung promo redemption site

Just got my Buds Beans delivered and first impression is really good, sound is way better than I expected.

jv2000 wrote: »
    Yes having an issue as well. I was validated but the link in the email brings me to a page with dead links when I make my choice. Was going to contact customer care later today or tomorrow, I thought it might have resolved by now as I am sure they are receiving plenty of complaints.
    markad1 wrote: »
    Also having issues with dead links on the Samsung promo redemption site

Resolved now it seems BTW

Resolved now it seems BTW

Thanks for the heads-up, tried it there and confirm it is working.

• Advertisement

Aye. Not hanging about either, shipped already.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I thought base SD was 128 or 512 whereas exynos was 256 or 512.

As did I

It was suggested a few posts earlier than Eglobal Central are offering the Snapdragon version.

But since they don't seem to have the 128GB version, not so sure that's the case?

Aye. Not hanging about either, shipped already.

Amazing, my ear buds live arrived this morning!! I was fully expecting to wait weeks especially when I saw there were website issues. The cynic in me put it down to delay tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,827 ✭✭✭✭listermint

once question i suppose on the low battery complainers. It is i suppose what could be considered an absolute work horse phone performance wise.

As you dont have your phone in your hand at all seconds of the day, would people not keep a couple of wireless chargers around the house or office. So while its sitting down its topping up. I know alot of folks that do this and it works flawless, seems to be second nature just to drop it on the charge whilst doing other things rather than the process of plugging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

listermint wrote: »
    once question i suppose on the low battery complainers. It is i suppose what could be considered an absolute work horse phone performance wise.

As you dont have your phone in your hand at all seconds of the day, would people not keep a couple of wireless chargers around the house or office. So while its sitting down its topping up. I know alot of folks that do this and it works flawless, seems to be second nature just to drop it on the charge whilst doing other things rather than the process of plugging in.

Or they could make a phone with a battery that will actually last a full day:P

That's how I've always got through a day, but it doesn't take away from the fact that you should be able to use a phone like this heavily and make it through a day without a top-up. It's weird that battery life is one thing that really hasn't improved over time despite much bigger batteries and more efficient processors.

Heck, I still have screenshots of my HTC M8 from 2014 hitting 7.5 hours screen on time. That's with a 2,600mAh battery....

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's how I've always got through a day, but it doesn't take away from the fact that you should be able to use a phone like this heavily and make it through a day without a top-up. It's weird that battery life is one thing that really hasn't improved over time despite much bigger batteries and more efficient processors.

Heck, I still have screenshots of my HTC M8 from 2014 hitting 7.5 hours screen on time. That's with a 2,600mAh battery....

yeah i get you, but these things are running >6.5 inch super amoled screens with ridiculous refresh rates and brightness to match. Not to mention the processing power. it would smash your HTC M8 like a nut.

If people want these big gorgeous screens with stupid processors that they realistically dont need... then theres the compromise. up up up.

I mean if you changed the refresh rate and brought the bright down a small bit youd add house on to the phone but users dont do that , they want to blast full on despite the built in warnings on the actual device settings.....

and then they complain.... no wonder apple dumbs the arse out of stuff and lets users have zero choice. Cant win them all i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭medic087

Anyone have any experience with samsungs return policy. I bought a note 20 ultra from the Samsung store 6 days ago. Unimpressed with it really. Poor battery life. Does Samsung return policy accept if for refund if phone opened and used ? Thanks

Never done it, but I believe Samsung UK allows returns of devices for any reason (phone may have been used but everything has to be returned with regard to packaging and accessories, in pristine condition) within 28 days.
    Same marketing umbrella, but whether or not Samsung Ireland follow suit, I can't say (I suspect a month may be pushing it with them as 14 days cooling off period sounds more common over here)

Either way, you need to contact Samsung direct ahead of return so they could probably advise in any case. Was there a return slip in the packaging....might have more info I'd say.

yeah i get you, but these things are running >6.5 inch super amoled screens with ridiculous refresh rates and brightness to match. Not to mention the processing power. it would smash your HTC M8 like a nut.

If people want these big gorgeous screens with stupid processors that they realistically dont need... then theres the compromise. up up up.

I mean if you changed the refresh rate and brought the bright down a small bit youd add house on to the phone but users dont do that , they want to blast full on despite the built in warnings on the actual device settings.....

and then they complain.... no wonder apple dumbs the arse out of stuff and lets users have zero choice. Cant win them all i suppose

I have 60hz refresh rate on, brightness all the way down and not a power user and the battery currently is that bad. Yesterday I finished work with about 40% battery which wasn't bad but this morning I did 30 mins of browsing and watching videos and it is 90% already. I personally would have preferred they made it a lot thicker and put a bigger battery in it. Instead of 2 options of the watered down Note 20 and the Ultra, they should have standard and big battery version. I am going to try the 720p display option this week and see how it fairs. Defeats the purpose of getting a super phone and running it on Nokia 3210 levels. The adaptive refresh rate was meant to help the battery over other phones, either it doesn't work or isn't optimised yet.

• Advertisement

Fair points but why not treat it like a super phone and drop it on a handy wireless charger when not holding it. Best of all worlds.

Fair points but why not treat it like a super phone and drop it on a handy wireless charger when not holding it. Best of all worlds.

Yeah that is the work around but can't imagine long term that is great for the battery. I have a couple of wireless chargers I never use, as I don't like how hot it gets in the otterbox. It is good enough for me to not have to top up but like having a full electric car, you can have paranoia about being caught short. The benefits of the phone outweigh the slightly weak battery so I am still happy out with it.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Yeah that is the work around but can't imagine long term that is great for the battery. I have a couple of wireless chargers I never use, as I don't like how hot it gets in the otterbox. It is good enough for me to not have to top up but like having a full electric car, you can have paranoia about being caught short. The benefits of the phone outweigh the slightly weak battery so I am still happy out with it.

I hear that battery stuff alot. Its generally from folks who swap their phone every 2-3 years not long enough to even be concerned about how the battery operates for the next owner :P

I hear that battery stuff alot. Its generally from folks who swap their phone every 2-3 years not long enough to even be concerned about how the battery operates for the next owner :P

I think people like me are stuck in the mindset of old, if you don't condition the battery correctly it goes to the dogs. Modern batteries seem a lot more robust.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The next owner of my phone is always Mrs. Clareman and she never has to worry about anything battery operated :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Ordered today after awhile stewing on it. Im due an upgrade and got the phone 100 off so for 599 @ 60 a month. I should say I get a monthly discount from Vodafone because where I live is a coverage black hole so I get the 60 a month contract for about 41. They've told me that will still stand so its a no brainer.

I bought a s20 straight back in March so should get 500 or whatever for that.

Another Note 20 problem, the bluetooth connection will play on my wireless headphones or speaker but won't connect to my car.

The music or station that is playing comes up on the system in the car but the audio is coming out of the phone.

There's no option of audio in the settings, just calls.

I'm close to selling it :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Another Note 20 problem, the bluetooth connection will play on my wireless headphones or speaker but won't connect to my car.

The music or station that is playing comes up on the system in the car but the audio is coming out of the phone.

There's no option of audio in the settings, just calls.

What car is it? If it's BMW I had that problem a couple of years ago and needed to update the software in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭johng906

The phone is working out fine for me.

I pre-ordered with three, but I'm having a nightmare with the Samsung voucher request, even having given everything I had related to the order for review. Are other folks experiencing similar?

Advertisement