Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

With all this talk about cold weather, it's nice to see that the far south and east of Spain is going through some very warm weather at the moment and a taste of Spring or early summer near the coasts. It got into the low 20's on the costa del sol today, and parts of Alicante got up to 29C today. A massive difference from the past few weeks. Temperatures in Alicante and Murcia may reach 25 to 27C over the next 4 to 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

The Bbc forecast at 11.55pm seemed fairly confident of high pressure building over Scandinavia later next week sending very cold air towards Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    cASu9ky.gif

December 20th 2010 in the aftermath of that (last proper) northerly that hit a couple of days earlier. You can see why more eastern and south parts depend more on easterly or northeasterly flows for their proper snow.

I see your pathetic 2010 "snow apocalypse" and raise you the beast :cool:

tempresult_bfb5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Temperatures in Southern Norway this morning so no shortage of decent cold if winds start to come in from the E or NE

AED0-F68-A-5-AB0-4-A82-A97-E-C8-A84-A41-A3-D9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

ME on their app predicting 23.6mm of rain in 2 hours tomorrow for meath, that cant be right surely?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ME on their app predicting 23.6mm of rain in 2 hours tomorrow for meath, that cant be right surely?

Similar here in Dublin 16, but forecasting 34.3mm in 2 hours!

You think that's bad :D
    They have arklow down for over 50mm
    Nearly 50 of this tomorrow night 10 to midnight
    Has to be a mistake on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Of all the reporting Met Eireann stations up to yesterday, the two coldest for the month of January so far are Mullingar on 3.1c and Ballyhaise with 3.2c. In contrast, the top two warmest are Sherkin Island & Valentia with 6.0c and 6.1c respectively. Wettest stations are Newport on 203.6mm and Athenry 145.0mm, with the two driest being Moorpark showing off with its 49.2mm and Gurteen not far behind on 66.0mm.

You know where I get this data from? Met Eireann, that's where.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I have had 87mm this month, so far. Which is 30mm less than a station 3 miles away.. odd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Windy, rainy, manky in Dublin. I think it's meant to calm down a bit later at least.

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I have had 87mm this month, so far.

You'd know better than anyone else on here, but is there a source where we can look at daily data from stations in the North? I've looked through the UKMO site several times and can't find anything. The UK Met office site is a great resource in many ways, but they seem remarkably stingy with their station data.

New Moon

You'd know better than anyone else on here, but is there a source where we can look at daily data from stations in the North? I've looked through the UKMO site several times and can't find anything. The UK Met office site is a great resource in many ways, but they seem remarkably stingy with their station data.

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&state=United+K&osum=no&fmt=html&ord=REV&ano=2021&mes=01&day=28&hora=18&ndays=1&Send=send

And weathercast used to have live data from each station, now that has been replaced with weatherpro.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Similar here in Dublin 16, but forecasting 34.3mm in 2 hours!

Seems to have been corrected now.

The airmass coming in tonight is looking less marginal than thought. Dew points as low as -3c, with wet bulb freezing levels <200 metres for large areas of the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice mild bright day here today would love a couple of months of this. Pleasure to go out in no slush no icy rain or wind that would cut you in 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Nice mild bright day here today would love a couple of months of this. Pleasure to go out in no slush no icy rain or wind that would cut you in 2.

We've had pretty much none of this in East Cork so far this winter, amazing how different the weather can be over a short distance. Going by your name i'm 50km away.

The temperatures and dew point are on the way down here, now 5.6c.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow, would I like to live in a place that had that every so often!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

You'd have to live up a mountain in California for that. I once drove up there in a storm actually, up to Lake Tahoe. Would not recommend. The only reason I got past the barriers on I80 was because I got lost in Sacramento and took a back road by mistake, rejoining later. At that stage they had closed the freeway east of Sacramento but I missed it.

I could just see the car in front of me, that was the only way to drive, follow the hazy red lights. If he, or the guy he was following, was a goner and we all were since quite a few were following me. Anyway got to the destination about 7 hours late. Did stop for chains.

(This was in March or April).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Of all the reporting Met Eireann stations up to yesterday, the two coldest for the month of January so far are Mullingar on 3.1c and Ballyhaise with 3.2c. In contrast, the top two warmest are Sherkin Island & Valentia with 6.0c and 6.1c respectively. Wettest stations are Newport on 203.6mm and Athenry 145.0mm, with the two driest being Moorpark showing off with its 49.2mm and Gurteen not far behind on 66.0mm.

You know where I get this data from? Met Eireann, that's where.

Ballyhaise & mullingar consistently the coldest stations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I think Dublin should be added in that rain warning especially from the city centre southwards

Theta E animation showing how warmer air has struggled to reach into Scotland over the last few days:

2Uk4pYV.gif

New Moon

You'd have to live up a mountain in California for that. .

Or maybe the Arizona desert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpK7qbpancw

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Boards Weather members awaiting the next set of model runs

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Boards Weather members awaiting the next set of model runs

tenor.gif
    I think I might stay up/wake up early for the 0z runs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I think I might stay up/wake up early for the 0z runs :D

A sucker for punishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Shocking evening in East Cork, wild out there. Plenty of rain in the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Shocking evening in East Cork, wild out there. Plenty of rain in the last few hours.

Miserable alright.
    Cork Airport 11pm:
    Wind 100° 22kt. Visibility 4000m. Rain. Clouds few 100ft, broken 200ft, broken 800ft. Temperature 7°C, dew point 7°C. QNH 990hPa. Temporarily: Visibility 2000m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Dazler97

The BBC 10 day weather looks interesting from next Thursday onwards showing a possible easterly

Advertisement