Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭forumdedum

For fun I put €6 on McGill to win tournament at 8-1. Just looking at Wilson now he has the makings of a fine player (perhaps a better bet). As soon as Ronnie came out with his bad amateur statement I knew it would raise the game of those he was referring too. Imagine if one of these lads beat Ronnie in a final. What an ass Ronnie would look like then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Bad miss from kyren. Seen a lot of those pots missed over past week and a half, a few from ronnie. They aim them for the far jaw of corner pocket because they generally drop, but not so diligently on these tables for some reason. Think its catching a few of them out from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

forumdedum wrote: »
    For fun I put €6 on McGill to win tournament at 8-1. Just looking at Wilson now he has the makings of a fine player (perhaps a better bet). As soon as Ronnie came out with his bad amateur statement I knew it would raise the game of those he was referring too. Imagine if one of these lads beat Ronnie in a final. What an ass Ronnie would look like then.

Let's all hope Ronnie doesn’t get to the final.

sligeach wrote: »
    Let's all hope Ronnie doesn’t get to the final.

There have been such stories in sport before. Well underdog success.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

Wilson is the world no.8 in fairness. I think some people have taken his interview up all wrong. I don't think he was saying the likes of Wilson and the other top players aren't good enough. I gathered it was aimed at the younger lads a lot further down the rankings. As in he's in no danger of being pushed out of the top 50 anytime soon or qualifying and being competitive.

• Advertisement

A few years back Steve Davis said on thr bbc that if he was playing now he'd be nowhere near the top 20, such was the standard of these modern players. I found that a million times worse than anything ronnie said t'other night tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Ronnie's comments were very insulting imo. Who is he to makea fool of players trying their best to make a living? Many of the lower ranked players probably looked up to him growing up and were possibly looking at that interview with tbeir families and he's mocking them and basically questioning why they even bother to playas they'e not even amateurs? Just becauae their not blessed with his talent. He's called them numpties last year, now they're not even amateur who would only beat him if he lost an arm or a leg. Yea stay classy Ronnie. I was glad Ken Doherty called him out on his insulting coddswallop. He can be such an obnoxious twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

BBC at it again, a make up competition, what a joke organisation

Wilson just can't get in front! McGill wins another very scrappy frame to lead once again.

No, he's no world beater by any stretch, but mcgill is a tough little fighter, I'll give him that. Definitely not going away here anytime soon. Nice finish to that frame there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Ronnie’s positional play today was some of the worse I’ve seen from him. Didn’t really have the cue ball on a string like he usually does.

Selby not playing great overall either but completely in control of the safety battle. I do believe Ronnie has an excellent safety game in general but anyone who thinks he can compete with Selby in this area is delusional.

After last night’s session I was confident of an O’Sullivan victory. Today has obviously cast a lot of doubt on that - moreso down to his own poor performance rather than anything Selby contributed (other than a few of the safety exchanges).

8-8 probably would be a fairer score overall for me and if Ronnie can up his game a little I thInk he will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Can anyone tell me what channels is Ronnie and Selby on and what time.

Much appreciated.

Can anyone tell me what channels is Ronnie and Selby on and what time.

Much appreciated.
    3rd session 10 am, 4th, and final session 7 pm. Tomorrow, BBC 2 (I hope)

3rd session 10 am, 4th, and final session 7 pm. Tomorrow, BBC 2 (I hope)

According to their schedule, they are only showing it from 10 am to midday. Eurosport have coverage as well, so try that after midday if the BBC knock it off, because they have a habit of coming back at 1pm, and showing it from where they left it. And session 4, is 7pm, and supposedly gardeners world, with Monty Don and the gang is on at 9pm, but surely they won't go off air if it is 17 all. If they do, switch to BBC 4 or Eurosport if you have them. BBC once left a 9-9 game up to 10, to show a sewing competition, so nothing wouls surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

That’s an absolutely shocking miss on frame ball by Wilson

TheHopeful wrote: »
    Wilson is the world no.8 in fairness. I think some people have taken his interview up all wrong. I don't think he was saying the likes of Wilson and the other top players aren't good enough. I gathered it was aimed at the younger lads a lot further down the rankings. As in he's in no danger of being pushed out of the top 50 anytime soon or qualifying and being competitive.

Ronnie said apart from me, Mark and John. So outside that 3, amateurs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Some shot by McGill.

I'm going to be watching tomorrow to see if the BBC leave the Selby v O'Sullivan match at noon. They did so today for Wilson v McGill. I bet they don't. And the draw looked like it was setup to have O'Sullivan playing at favourable times. The morning session, his first, is the only exception.

10-10. Mid sesh interval. This is where a top player is thinking to start being boss of this match, set a marker for tomorrow. Still wondering whether Wilson can truly be that player, for all he's in another world sf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not Colin Murray's biggest fan as a sports presenter but he does sport some snazzy sweaters, wonder where he gets them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Couldn't watch any more of the afternoon session after only 30 mins of the first grinding frame of the session. Could see what was coming a mile off with Ronnie missing long balls. I though the scoreline could have been even worse for him.

Ronnie can pull it back but I don't think the order of play will suit him either i.e. morning and evening sessions. I do wish the semi's could be played over 2 days rather than 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Funny how commentators have done a 180 on the Selby v O'Sullivan game. Yesterday was all Ronnie xyz genius etc especially by Parrott. Now he has completely changed his tune. Selby matchplay granite etc.

I'm watching exclusively on Eurosport for the first time this year, and I have to say I'm not missing the BBC slant on things which is always very predictable and formulaic, as your're alluding too.

What are the tournament stats for these 4 remaining players? Balls potted, long pots, breaks etc.

Could give a clue to who is on form to win the title?

Ronnie said apart from me, Mark and John. So outside that 3, amateurs.

I think you picked it up wrong.

He was referring to the older players in their 40's, like himself, Williams, and Higgins. He was asked something along the lines of was he surprised to still be playing at such a high level after more than 2 decades of breaking into the big time.

And he said something along the lines of that he presumed that when he was younger he wouldn't have thought he'd still be good enough to be competitive at his current age, but that now the likes of himself, Williams, Higgins in their 40s don't look like bring pushed out of the top places any time soon.

And I agree it was a little disrespectful, but also think he's right. Not a lot of young players mid twenties or under that look like world beaters at present.

Good shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's been an entertaining match so far tbh.

A bit of a slog that frame, entertaining enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What are the tournament stats for these 4 remaining players? Balls potted, long pots, breaks etc.

Could give a clue to who is on form to win the title?

Ronnie and Selby are pretty much even on balls potted I think.

TheHopeful wrote: »
    I think you picked it up wrong.

He was referring to the older players in their 40's, like himself, Williams, and Higgins. He was asked something along the lines of was he surprised to still be playing at such a high level after more than 2 decades of breaking into the big time.

And he said something along the lines of that he presumed that when he was younger he wouldn't have thought he'd still be good enough to be competitive at his current age, but that now the likes of himself, Williams, Higgins in their 40s don't look like bring pushed out of the top places any time soon.

And I agree it was a little disrespectful, but also think he's right. Not a lot of young players mid twenties or under that look like world beaters at present.

Perhaps you are right. Tennis is even worse.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    Ronnie and Selby are pretty much even on balls potted I think.

Thank you. I'm actually interested in stats since the tournament began. I have a feeling Wilson will be champion. Just a hunch.

Advertisement