Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

98,729 from 12 years - a grizzled inconsistent veteran.

grizzled inconsistent veteran you say.
    292k average over 14 seasons.

Reached the dizzy heights of 37k in 2017. My best finish. Followed by my worst of 606k in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

45k for my first 6 conscious seasons
    135k up to and including this season (10 seasons)

Since I peaked at 5k in 16/17 I've averaged 320k

117k atm feels like an exceptional achievement :pac:

Top 100k or so would be superb for me at this stage of my descent into senility.

I ended up 500k last year but put zero effort in. I've tried a lot more this year and currently at 2m+.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Benimar wrote: »
    22,515 average over 12 seasons for me.

Need to sort out my captaincy issues (3 blanks in a row and 4 in last 5) or that will be increasing.

Also staggering consistency.

You and Busts should start a podcast!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

FHFC wrote: »
    A tale of declining level of fcuks given....

Playing for 8 seasons including this one.

Average of first 4 seasons - 9,263
    Average of first 6 seasons - 25,646
    Average of all 8 including current OR this year - 330,021. :D

An average of only 10,000 played in those first 4 seasons :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,920 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I do get really jealous when I see the old guard (listening to Mark Sutherns etc) who have been veterans and got all sorts of ranks before the information overload hit FPL media.

I’m only (one of the rare occasions nowadays where ‘only’ applies to this age) 33 so my first season playing the game strategically would have been the season Van Persie joined United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I had originally played with my now defunct college email address so my first 6 or 7 season are gone. Always jealous when I see people having having 10+ season histories, especially knowing that my scores are somewhere on the internet but I'll never know them. C

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

grizzled inconsistent veteran you say.
    292k average over 14 seasons.

Reached the dizzy heights of 37k in 2017. My best finish. Followed by my worst of 606k in 2018.

:D

I can't count started 2006/2007 - think I read 12 times in the top 250k :o.
    Had a few good years best rank was 3026 in 2010 (When it was easier)

But an inexcusable 582740 in 2014 when I refused to get Ramsey. And always picked the wrong captain out of Sturridge and Suarez. I was actually trying!

Finished 353787 in 2019 and it could have been much worse.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Average of 75k over 9 seasons. Finished 7.1k in my first season and expected to improve with the knowledge and experience I'd gained.

Nope, never bettered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Yep not owning Ramsey and Yaya really cost me that season.... and yet I wouldn't change that season for anything. Most enjoyable time I've had playing the game :pac: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Average of 75k over 9 seasons. Finished 7.1k in my first season and expected to improve with the knowledge and experience I'd gained.

Nope, never bettered it.
    7.3k here :pac: also in my 1st season :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Nope, never bettered it.

Finished inside the top 1k when Leicester won the league which was my second season playing it properly. I was 90k Mark the season before that.

The next season after I finished inside the top 1k,I thought I'd do just as well, I quit after Jesus went off injured away to Bournemouth when he was my captain. I'm Not a sore loser at all.

My only other decent season was last season where I finished just outside the top 20k mark.

siblers wrote: »
    Finished inside the top 1k when Leicester won the league which was my second season playing it properly. I was 90k Mark the season before that.

The next season after I finished inside the top 1k,I thought I'd do just as well, I quit after Jesus went off injured away to Bournemouth when he was my captain. I'm Not a sore loser at all.

My only other decent season was last season where I finished just outside the top 20k mark.

That top 1k finish is worth multiple top 20ks imo. If I ever achieve a top 1k finish you will all never stop hearing it.

‘Well guys, in the season where I finished 824th in the world, what I did during the blank gameweek was....’

CSF wrote: »
    That top 1k finish is worth multiple top 20ks imo. If I ever achieve a top 1k finish you will all never stop hearing it.

‘Well guys, in the season where I finished 824th in the world, what I did during the blank gameweek was....’

All my chips failed quite badly.

I jumped on Vardez very early as well as Ighaloo and Pelle. Also had Kompany at the start when he was a machine. Was just very consistent throughout and didn't over think things. Would happily captain the likes of Ighaloo or Pelle too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

You joke, but there is merit.

In the year I came 549th .... I was battling it out with ElTel for the much coveted FSA Qualifying League. If I recall, the season ended with a DGW, BGW, GW, DGW, GW sequence. We were a few points apart and both had FH, BB, TC and wildcard. As soon as I saw his team on the first week I could see he had the right strategy and he ultimately came 7th overall.

Last season we were both having, relatively, mediocre seasons (~100k) with a few GWs to go. Everyone had gravitated towards a template team so it was hard to make progress, however he managed to pick Antonio as captain for the 4 goals which propelled him into a top 10k finish. He did mention it on the GW captain thread but I missed his post.

Finishing top 1K is generally about being on the right side of a lot of, seemingly, small decisions. Many of them are ultimately about luck but having a clear strategy will get you a long way.

It’s not mickey waving, and copying someone else just because they scored well before won’t get you very far, but there are posters here who really know their FPL and in this case past performance is an indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That Antonio c call is still the best I've ever seen tbh!

GetWithIt wrote: »
    You joke, but there is merit.

In the year I came 549th .... I was battling it out with ElTel for the much coveted FSA Qualifying League. If I recall, the season ended with a DGW, BGW, GW, DGW, GW sequence. We were a few points apart and both had FH, BB, TC and wildcard. As soon as I saw his team on the first week I could see he had the right strategy and he ultimately came 7th overall.

Last season we were both having, relatively, mediocre seasons (~100k) with a few GWs to go. Everyone had gravitated towards a template team so it was hard to make progress, however he managed to pick Antonio as captain for the 4 goals which propelled him into a top 10k finish. He did mention it on the GW captain thread but I missed his post.

Finishing top 1K is generally about being on the right side of a lot of, seemingly, small decisions. Many of them are ultimately about luck but having a clear strategy will get you a long way.

It’s not mickey waving, and copying someone else just because they scored well before won’t get you very far, but there are posters here who really know their FPL and in this case past performance is an indicator.

El Tel always makes very interesting calls. I wasn't remotely surprised he captained Antonio, is the kind of move I'd expect him to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Fitz* wrote: »
    That Antonio c call is still the best I've ever seen tbh!

Yeah definitely, I'm not sure I would ever have the balls to go with a call like that but it paid off brilliantly and won himmost of the Boards leagues ultimately I think.

Funny story about this.

I think I was leading most of the Boards money leagues going into that week, El Tel was close behind, maybe 10 or 15 points behind in 3rd or 4th in most leagues. I was strongly considering bringing in Antonio (was never going to captain him though) but decided to play cautiously and bank my transfer as I still had a solid team for the gameweek. Was on my way to Connemara on holiday and was feeling serious regret every time I checked to see Antonio pop in with another goal, I knew El Tel had him captain and would pass me out by about 20 points with just a few weeks left.

My mates know I'm a bit FF obsessed and it was my birthday coming up. There's this website called Cameo where you can pay some Z-list celebrities to send personalised video messages. I used to watch wrestling way back in the day, and if anyone is familiar with that there was a wrestler called Mark Henry (also known as "Sexual Chocolate"), who offers his services on Cameo.

So I got sent a birthday message from Mark Henry where a part of the message was:

"Man, I'm sorry you don't have Michael Antonio in your fantasy team...but hey, at least you got Sexual Chocolate!"

Was pretty bizarre!

Morzadec wrote: »
    "Man, I'm sorry you don't have Michael Antonio in your fantasy team...but hey, at least you got Sexual Chocolate!"

Was pretty bizarre!

Jayus, fantasy football. wrestling/sexual chocolate all in one sentence. I am speechless!

It is pity Antonio seems melted these days, with injury after injury.

That Hall of Fame has updated again and its a Boardsie at number 1 and 2 in the Ireland HOF.

A few of us in there, I'm number 21 which I am absolutely f*cking delighted with.

I think thats Dearg81 at Number 1?

https://www.premierfantasytools.com/best-fpl-managers-list/?country=IE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭skippy15

That Hall of Fame has updated again and its a Boardsie at number 1 and 2 in the Ireland HOF.

A few of us in there, I'm number 21 which I am absolutely f*cking delighted with.

That's a great tool, and great show standard of boardsie's as FF giants, im 233 in Ireland and happy with that so fair play to all the big hitters

• Advertisement

skippy15 wrote: »
    That's a great tool, and great show standard of boardsie's as FF giants, im 233 in Ireland and happy with that so fair play to all the big hitters

I think I need to start paying attention to these boards fpl posters. As I feel I have reached the stage where I need consultancy advice as the fpl game seems to have passed me by. Particularly, in recent years and moved on stats xG's and the like. I feel like I am the fpl equivalent of Neil Warnock.

I think I need to start paying attention to these boards fpl posters. As I feel I have reached the stage where I need consultancy advice as the fpl game seems to have passed me by. Particularly, in recent years and moved on stats xG's and the like. I feel like I am the fpl equivalent of Neil Warnock.

I dont think it’s as simple as that though. I think the standard of advice/analysis is generally really high here, regardless of rank. All kinds of nuggets thrown around here from various sources.

My interpretation of those types who are posting 5k ranks on a yearly basis, isn’t that they’re great at making insane captain shouts or differential shouts. The biggest trait I’ve seen from those guys is an insane ability to squad manage; so that they’re really strong throughout the year.

I’ll be there thinking I’m amazing with my Danny Ings 13 point captain score when everyone else did a Salah captain blank, and then I look at these guys and they’ve still scored higher than me because they had 6+ scores across their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Morzadec wrote:
    So I got sent a birthday message from Mark Henry where a part of the message was:
    Morzadec wrote:

That is one of the best fantasy football related stories I've ever heard and I've heard a few doozies over the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The game really is a ****show this year with Covid. I can’t see the Villa spurs game going ahead with 9 players testing positive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Didn't realise there was such illustrious company here! Fair play all. First season playing properly. I rank at 1.9 mill worldwide on that tool :D

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The game really is a ****show this year with Covid. I can’t see the Villa spurs game going ahead with 9 players testing positive today.

At least now at the end of the season from 2nd to 7,817,696 can now all claim they might have won it this year, only for the covid...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

7k overall rank on that happy with that given my best two ranks are before it seems to measure it from. Nowhere near as much time to look into it these days. The dam getting older thing really gets in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Surprised DCL not even in Everton squad today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Yep thats dearg at number 1.

I used to work with him and in 12/13 i was in top 150 overall going into last week. The only money league i was in was in work and was up against dearg for the overall prize. I needed to do something to try catch him and went for left field subs and left field captain. Needless to say it didnt work dearg finished in top 50ish(cant remember exactly) and i finished 349. By doing nothing id have finished top 100 and i regret it to this day. Dont know what i was thinking, prizepool wasnt even that big!

• Advertisement

POKERKING wrote: »
    Yep thats dearg at number 1.

I used to work with him and in 12/13 i was in top 150 overall going into last week. The only money league i was in was in work and was up against dearg for the overall prize. I needed to do something to try catch him and went for left field subs and left field captain. Needless to say it didnt work dearg finished in top 50ish(cant remember exactly) and i finished 349. By doing nothing id have finished top 100 and i regret it to this day. Dont know what i was thinking, prizepool wasnt even that big!

Haha, some margins at the top. That’s incredible.

Looking at that, that number 1 in Ireland spot is also number 11 in the world. Now I know there are other sites that different formulae and depending on the years you include and give weight to, the results can be slightly different.

But, imagine the idea of being the 11th best in the world at something you love doing.

Advertisement