Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Presume people saw it elsewhere, but City/Everton off this week, City V Chelsea next week unlikely to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Presume people saw it elsewhere, but City/Everton off this week, City V Chelsea next week unlikely to happen

Id be surprised if City Chelsea didn't go ahead. They should have time to contain, test etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

If City / Chelsea is postponed I may not use any chips for the skinny / fat GWs following. Will have 9 starters and then 8 doublers + Kane/Son/KDB.

I’m miles behind and am hoping that will give me a par score and the chips can then be more valuable later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Id be surprised if City Chelsea didn't go ahead. They should have time to contain, test etc.

Why would you be surprised, they have 3/4 days turnaround between games, it's highly unlikely they will be able to fulfill the fixture,

Yes they should have a deep enough squad to field a team and questions should be asked how many of the squad were available for selection prior to the cancellation/postponement of the game.

When did the FA change the rules of the game to allow a fixture to be postponed due to medical reasons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why would you be surprised, they have 3/4 days turnaround between games, it's highly unlikely they will be able to fulfill the fixture,

Yes they should have a deep enough squad to field a team and questions should be asked how many of the squad were available for selection prior to the cancellation/postponement of the game.

When did the FA change the rules of the game to allow a fixture to be postponed due to medical reasons ?

It should go ahead. Think it was 3 today, assumed it was called off due to short turnaround fron test to game. Test, test, test over the next 3 days and there is no reason this shouldn't go ahead.

Then not really sure why Newcastle Villa was postponed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

It should go ahead. Think it was 3 today, assumed it was called off due to short turnaround fron test to game. Test, test, test over the next 3 days and there is no reason this shouldn't go ahead.

Then not really sure why Newcastle Villa was postponed

I think the main problem is that players either don't know or are ignoring the signs of covid, the most obvious one being the change in sense of smell/taste.

Clubs might need to blind test players as well as covid test them , I have had covid and was asymptomatic, on reflection I didn't realise I had it, I had a bit of a headcold for a few days, when I couldn't taste food, that was the point at which my wife suggested I get tested, so we contacted the doc and I began isolating in a bedroom, i got the test and tested positive, spent the following 2 weeks isolating in a bedroom.
    Family were tested 5/6 days after last contact with me, thankfully all clear, I have no idea how I got it, I have been wearing a facemask in public since may and very conscious of washing hands etc.

Now, a month (nearly 2 months) after I have had a positive result, I can still feel tightness in my chest, the best way to describe it, is that someone has a belt tied around my chest and they can tighten it whenever they want.

So in terms of fantasy football, I would be cautious of players who have tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If the PL can take anything from this scenario - it should be that all tests are carried out and results received 24 hours prior to the start of a GW. Yes Christmas probably was an issue, but if the PL stood up to the TV companies the games could have been played tomorrow.

I was reading the below - and the fact that the semi final would be rearranged, for city, but a team earlier in the same competition had to forfeit a game shows just how much power the TV/Clubs have over the PL/FA
    With a congested fixture list, City's Premier League match at Chelsea on Sunday 3 January and EFL Cup semi-final at Manchester United on Wednesday 6 January are both at risk.

However, unlike Leyton Orient, who had to forfeit their tie against Tottenham earlier in the competition when their squad was ravaged by positive coronavirus tests, the semi-final would be rearranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ace2007 wrote: »
    If the PL can take anything from this scenario - it should be that all tests are carried out and results received 24 hours prior to the start of a GW. Yes Christmas probably was an issue, but if the PL stood up to the TV companies the games could have been played tomorrow.

I was reading the below - and the fact that the semi final would be rearranged, for city, but a team earlier in the same competition had to forfeit a game shows just how much power the TV/Clubs have over the PL/FA

Apparently forfeits were only enforced in Round 4 of the Cup - that’s the line they are sticking to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Hard gameweek but more concerned overall for if football is going to continue. 7 of 12 league one games off due to covid tomorrow night.

Pl may survive due to money but a little fearful tonight. Haven't even checked my score. I'll wait till the gw is over an assess damage but my bench is not strong enough overall for this period now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I think with the new strain and the infection rates in the UK, its quite likely there will be a lot more games postponed, won't be surprised if the season is postponed at some stage

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    I think with the new strain and the infection rates in the UK, its quite likely there will be a lot more games postponed, won't be surprised if the season is postponed at some stage

The Euro's is a huge problem though - UEFA are obv praying that it can still go ahead it in current format - which seems bonkers to be honest.

There would be carnage to have a season broken up for the Euro's, if they didn't get all the games played in time. Champions League, relegation, championship promotions - the money is so great in the game, that not completing a season would have huge financial costs.

Is there anything stopping the PL clubs and or European teams from getting their hands on the vaccine and having all players vaccinated - and using this as a basis that all games have to be played and the Euro's can go ahead. Or will they be near the bottom of the list as they are healthy young men?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

The Euro's is a huge problem though - UEFA are obv praying that it can still go ahead it in current format - which seems bonkers to be honest.

There would be carnage to have a season broken up for the Euro's, if they didn't get all the games played in time. Champions League, relegation, championship promotions - the money is so great in the game, that not completing a season would have huge financial costs.

Is there anything stopping the PL clubs and or European teams from getting their hands on the vaccine and having all players vaccinated - and using this as a basis that all games have to be played and the Euro's can go ahead. Or will they be near the bottom of the list as they are healthy young men?

There is absolutely zero chance of footballers getting vaccinated ahead of the old and vulnerable just so a football tournament can proceed on time.

Benimar wrote: »
    There is absolutely zero chance of footballers getting vaccinated ahead of the old and vulnerable just so a football tournament can proceed on time.

The old and vulnerable should be vaccinated long before the summer though.

Given that professional sports people are being treated differently than the rest of the population as it stands - i actually think there is a chance that they will get the vaccine ahead of the general population, once the elderly and vulnerable get the vaccine.

The likes of the Olympics for instance - do you think they will allow non-vaccinated athletes from around the globe to converge on a city with all types of variants in existence?

What should happen and what happens when hundreds of millions if not billions are concerned is entirely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

18 positive tests today from staff and players in the Premier league

https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1343891409380790279?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

siblers wrote: »
    18 positive tests today from staff and players in the Premier league

https://twitter.com/City_Xtra/status/1343891409380790279?s=20

Iv a feeling City may have had a good number of staff test positive, and thats possibly why it was cancelled,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

The old and vulnerable should be vaccinated long before the summer though.

Given that professional sports people are being treated differently than the rest of the population as it stands - i actually think there is a chance that they will get the vaccine ahead of the general population, once the elderly and vulnerable get the vaccine.

The likes of the Olympics for instance - do you think they will allow non-vaccinated athletes from around the globe to converge on a city with all types of variants in existence?

What should happen and what happens when hundreds of millions if not billions are concerned is entirely different.

I think there is zero chance this happens. All the vulnerable won’t be vaccinated for a few months yet and the ‘optics’ of healthy 20 something athletes skipping ahead of a queue are just terrible.

Even with a quick timescale, the PL will be finished by the time the players turn comes. The Olympic athletes might have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ben Dinnery
    @BenDinnery
    ·
    3m
    Patrick Bamford confirmed he picked up a dead leg in the challenge with Nick Pope which won him the penalty on Sunday. But nothing serious....

Diego Costa is a free agent - wonder what PL team would take a punt on him in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Diego Costa is a free agent - wonder what PL team would take a punt on him in January.

Wolves?

Jorge Mended client. Jorge Mendes club.
    Wolves needs a striker. Costa needs a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

ShaneU wrote: »

So does that mean their match tonight is off?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

More positive cases than points!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ramsdale hardly caught it anyway.

depending on who is out - the likes of Zaha could be a great punt for their next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

A two-week break is being discussed amid the Covid chaos.

https://twitter.com/telefootball/status/1343961351656501248?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder will that affect the DGW, where the initial mid season break is.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

He’s fecking benched!!! :mad:

Whose going to tell him?

• Advertisement

A two-week break is being discussed amid the Covid chaos.

https://twitter.com/telefootball/status/1343961351656501248?s=21

Just on this - it's not fair on teams who have no cases or being extra careful - i read that the Wolves players were banned from going to the supermarket for instance.

Only read on another thread that a group of the Brazillan players got together over xmas - like how any club can sign off on that is beyond any sort of understanding.

Advertisement