Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,011 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dsmythy wrote: »
    Crystal Palace be sweating now I guess.

Ah they might be asymptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    Nice.. I have triple villa for their good fixture run.

Me too, trouble now is that they either play against Newcastle reserves, or the game gets cancelled and we've 3 players with a blank gameweek

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Nice.. I have triple villa for their good fixture run.

On a separate note. Anyone know roughly when their double gw will be after the gw1 blank?
    That's yet to be rescheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Me too, trouble now is that they either play against Newcastle reserves, or the game gets cancelled and we've 3 players with a blank gameweek

Let’s just hope the pl make them play!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I would really prefer if the game was re-scheduled as I've Grealish and Konsa on the bench and that could prove disastrous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I would really prefer if the game was re-scheduled as I've Grealish and Konsa on the bench and that could prove disastrous

You have Grealish and Konsa on the bench at home to Newcastle?!

JPA wrote: »
    You have Grealish and Konsa on the bench at home to Newcastle?!

Woops got the fixtures mixed up, I have them both starting next week. They're on the bench this week!

Woops got the fixtures mixed up, I have them both starting next week. They're on the bench this week!

I don't know why you'd bench Grealish but anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Markx

It may be the case that despite the weakened Newcastle team, Villa may not be too keen on getting involved in the game in case of transmission in some way.
    I can hope anyway, with no Villa players.

Markx wrote: »
    It may be the case that despite the weakened Newcastle team, Villa may not be too keen on getting involved in the game in case of transmission in some way.
    I can hope anyway, with no Villa players.
    I think the 18 Newcastle players that do eventually show up, will have been tested more than the average week.

• Advertisement

I don't know why you'd bench Grealish but anyway...

Jota/Bruno/Mahrez/ Ziyech
    Bamford/DCL/Vardy(C)

Was between Grealish and Ziyech and probably not going to work out

Bamford/DCL/Vardy(C)

Bamford?

Bamford?

Against a leaky Everton defence missing their best defender, I thought differently.

Probably should have had 2 as well. Those be the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Bamford/DCL/Vardy(C)

That’s a strong front 8, you must have a benching headache every week!

That’s a strong front 8, you must have a benching headache every week!

Yeh was quite annoying alright. Benching Bamford next week Chelsea(A)

And then I'll probably have gotten rid of Ziyech if he fails to produce against Leeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Yeh was quite annoying alright. Benching Bamford next week Chelsea(A)

And then I'll probably have gotten rid of Ziyech if he fails to produce against Leeds.

Back against his old club - that usually ends with a goal...

CSF wrote: »
    I think the rule is that they will have to play the young lads if needs be.

I'm sure I read at the start of the season that if 14 players can be named in the matchday squad then the game needs to go ahead.

As a Villa fan and Grealish/Martinez owner, I'm more than ok with this....

I know that's what they said at the start of the season but it's never been tested.

If say they force Newcastle to play the game, and in the next round of testing Newcastle players who played test positive along with some Villa players - there would be war over that - and that had dangerous consequences - for the PL going forward. For instance what would you do for the next round of games - just tough luck on Villa?

If they insist the game has to be played and Newcastle refuse to travel and cite health reasons, given how the city has high levels of the virus, what will the PL do - will they award a win to Villa? What would that mean for FF - do they award points to players?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I know that's what they said at the start of the season but it's never been tested.

If say they force Newcastle to play the game, and in the next round of testing Newcastle players who played test positive along with some Villa players - there would be war over that - and that had dangerous consequences - for the PL going forward. For instance what would you do for the next round of games - just tough luck on Villa?

If they insist the game has to be played and Newcastle refuse to travel and cite health reasons, given how the city has high levels of the virus, what will the PL do - will they award a win to Villa? What would that mean for FF - do they award points to players?

Looking at what happened in Serie A, they awarded a 3-0 victory to Juventus v Napoli in October when Napoli were ordered not to travel by their local health authority and Serie A refused to call off the game.

As for FPL, it's anyones guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Looking at what happened in Serie A, they awarded a 3-0 victory to Juventus v Napoli in October when Napoli were ordered not to travel by their local health authority and Serie A refused to call off the game.

As for FPL, it's anyones guess.

That was completely different, Naples was in lockdown so the team couldn’t travel.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    That was completely different, Naples was in lockdown so the team couldn’t travel.

i reckon given the high levels of virus in the camp that the PL would postpone the game, if they played it and some Villa players tested positive afterwards, there would be all sort of complications. But sure we'll wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

PhilipsR wrote: »

So surely more reason the game should've been called off if a team can't travel due to lockdown?

In this case Newcastle aren't in lockdown and have a couple cases, not a mass outbreak so more than likely the game will go ahead. If Newcastle were to refuse (as in the case above in Serie A with Napoli), the PL more than likely would award the points to Villa.

So surely more reason the game should've been called off if a team can't travel due to lockdown?

In this case Newcastle aren't in lockdown and have a couple cases, not a mass outbreak so more than likely the game will go ahead. If Newcastle were to refuse (as in the case above in Serie A with Napoli), the PL more than likely would award the points to Villa.

The entire first team is in self-isolation at the moment though with another round of tests tomorrow. Don't forget you don't need to have tested positive - a close contact needs to isolate as well.

The scenes around here if it is called off though:eek:

Yeah, I agree. It’s dangerous. But with that said, you’d think they’d have taken that into consideration at the start of the season when they came up with plans to deal with such a situation.

You’d have to wonder why they’d come up with such a rough way of dealing with it, only to then come around and say ‘only joking game is off’ when the situation actually comes to pass.

Scare tactics is one possibility but it’s not the most effective scare tactic I can think of either. I think they’re genuinely worried about the fixture pileup and feel about 65% confident that the game goes ahead.

The entire first team is in self-isolation at the moment though with another round of tests tomorrow. Don't forget you don't need to have tested positive - a close contact needs to isolate as well.

Free hit for me I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Will we get the results of their tests ?

Also, do they have to isolate if they are close contacts in the UK? Does the same rule apply to elite sportspeople?

If they have to isolate .... they can’t fulfill the fixture?

Wouldn’t the palace players have had to isolate last week after zaha’s positive result.

Will we get the results of their tests ?

Also, do they have to isolate if they are close contacts in the UK? Does the same rule apply to elite sportspeople?

If they have to isolate .... they can’t fulfill the fixture?

Wouldn’t the palace players have had to isolate last week after zaha’s positive result.

Well Conor Coady of Wolves missed a game as he was in self isolation being a close contact and fairly sure there have been other cases.

Zaha tested positive over the international break when team members where away though - so maybe they weren't in contact with him?

Newcastle first team have been told to self isolate, and all being re-tested, you have to assume that if the numbers increase in the test that the game would be a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

But if the Newcastle under 21s were playing last night, they certainly have the minimum number of players. They can't get the game called off unless they don't have 14 healthy/fit players.

It looks as if it's extremely improbable that any game would be called off.

edit: It was actually the u23s, losing 0-3 to Wolves.

elefant wrote: »
    But if the Newcastle under 21s were playing last night, they certainly have the minimum number of players. They can't get the game called off unless they don't have 14 healthy/fit players.

It looks as if it's extremely improbable that any game would be called off.

edit: It was actually the u23s, losing 0-3 to Wolves.

and the PL rules are for U21 squads.... for which i don't think Newcastle have a team,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

and the PL rules are for U21 squads.... for which i don't think Newcastle have a team,

They do, they last played 2 weeks ago. It's mostly the same players.

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    They do, they last played 2 weeks ago. It's mostly the same players.

Strange they don't have that listed on their website. When is the next U21 game - if that was Thursday or Saturday then they wouldn't be allowed play on Friday, or there would be a strong argument for their welfare not to have them playing on the Friday.

Advertisement