Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Just noticed my outfield players come from 4 teams -

3 x Liverpool
    3 x Wolves
    3 x Brighton
    2 x Spurs

Wonder is that why I’m doing shíte.

Just checked and i have

3 x Liverpool
    2 x Spurs
    1 x City
    1 x Everton
    1 x Palace
    1 x Newcastle
    1 x West Brom
    1 x Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

3 x Brighton

Lamptey Trossard Maupay?

Lamptey Trossard Maupay?

Lamptey, Bissouma, Maupay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Lamptey, Bissouma, Maupay.

Nothing much wrong with them for what they are.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Nothing much wrong with them for what they are.

Yeah. I’m not complaining. I like those players.

Just didn’t realise I was so dependent on only 4 teams.

Will switch that up soon with another slew of hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I have

2 Leicester
    2 Spurs
    2 Wolves
    1 Villa
    1 Southampton
    1 Liverpool
    1 Everton
    1 Chelsea
    1 Palace
    1 Brighton
    1 West Ham
    1 West Brom

Interesting to note that Salah took a penalty tonight with Milner on the pitch.

Didn’t see any of the game in case there was a reason for it.

On another note - Fabiano injury may lead to random lad playing in central defence - will be tough keeping double pool defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Ace2007 wrote: »

On another note - Fabiano injury may lead to random lad playing in central defence - will be tough keeping double pool defence.

Salah was fouled for the peno, he hit it hard and to the keepers left....if keeper had dived it could have been saved, but in the 92nd minute, it wasn’t going to make a difference to the result.

TAA played salah through and defender clipped his heel, went down like a sack of spuds....it was a peno and ref straight away pointed to the spot.

I would say Liverpool defence will be ok... Fabinho went off injured but ...he has a few days to get treated and if needs be the academy players can step up and take the opportunity to showcase their abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Fabinho hurt his hamstring so might miss the West Ham and possibly City game if its bad. The young lad is Rhys Williams, he looks good but I'd be worried Antonio could be too strong for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd imagine henderson will play CB if fabinho and Matip are both out.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine henderson will play CB if fabinho and Matip are both out.

Robertson is another option too, he's played as a centre back for Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Robertson is another option too, he's played as a centre back for Scotland.

That's more of a back 3 though and anyways the reserve Liverpool LB Tsimikas is also injured so Robertson is needed to pay LB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

Fitz* wrote: »
    That's more of a back 3 though and anyways the reserve Liverpool LB Tsimikas is also injured so Robertson is needed to pay LB.

Milner can play left back, he did consistently a few seasons ago.

shineon23 wrote: »
    Milner can play left back, he did consistently a few seasons ago.

Milner has looked really leggy in the last 2 midweek games and is showing his age now. 35 in January. I don't think he can start back to back games in midfield, let alone do back to back 90s. He could do a job for a game alright at LB but that creates another problem. It would leave just Wijnaldum & Curtis Jones as the only fit CMs (as Henderson will be viewed as a CB for now). Ox I think won't be seen for a good few months yet either.

Until Keita & Thiago regain match fitness, this issue is going to persist.

It looks like Henderson could be having a run of games at CB now to me anyways. With the midfield and shape of the team having heavy rotation to try and protect the players who are available and can fill in at CB & CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Fitz* wrote: »
    Milner has looked really leggy in the last 2 midweek games and is showing his age now. 35 in January. I don't think he can start back to back games in midfield, let alone do back to back 90s. He could do a job for a game alright at LB but that creates another problem. It would leave just Wijnaldum & Curtis Jones as the only fit CMs (as Henderson will be viewed as a CB for now). Ox I think won't be seen for a good few months yet either.

Until Keita & Thiago regain match fitness, this issue is going to persist.

It looks like Henderson could be having a run of games at CB now to me anyways. With the midfield and shape of the team having heavy rotation to try and protect the players who are available and can fill in at CB & CM.

I reckon Matip will be back for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Funny thing is, if you take away a penalty that I still don't think was a penalty, they've 3 clean sheets in a row. Not really passing the eye test tho

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Fabinho hurt his hamstring so might miss the West Ham and possibly City game if its bad. The young lad is Rhys Williams, he looks good but I'd be worried Antonio could be too strong for him.

The thing thought with saying that Rhys Williams looks good is that - instead of playing him there in the past, he's put in Fabinho - which doesn't give great confidence in the young lad. You have United throwing in Tuanzebe for a game against PSG for instance.

I brought up the subject of Pool's defense weeks ago and they just don't have any back up of any real quality if there are injures.

Man City/Chelsea/United have numerous defenders (not all can handle the pressure or are trusted, but they know the position), whereas with Pool, it's TAA, VVD, Gomez/Matip and Robbo - Ignore Milner and Fabino as they are mids. All we've seen really is Nico Williams who looks like a rabbit in headlights when he's played.

If Klopp does play Henderson as others believe, it will be even worse for the young lad - as what would need to happen for him to play. Playing Henderson in CB will weaken their midfield - although it may allow Jota more game time as he is a worker.

Hopefully though whoever plays will help them keep CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The thing thought with saying that Rhys Williams looks good is that - instead of playing him there in the past, he's put in Fabinho - which doesn't give great confidence in the young lad. You have United throwing in Tuanzebe for a game against PSG for instance.

I brought up the subject of Pool's defense weeks ago and they just don't have any back up of any real quality if there are injures.

Man City/Chelsea/United have numerous defenders (not all can handle the pressure or are trusted, but they know the position), whereas with Pool, it's TAA, VVD, Gomez/Matip and Robbo - Ignore Milner and Fabino as they are mids. All we've seen really is Nico Williams who looks like a rabbit in headlights when he's played.

If Klopp does play Henderson as others believe, it will be even worse for the young lad - as what would need to happen for him to play. Playing Henderson in CB will weaken their midfield - although it may allow Jota more game time as he is a worker.

Hopefully though whoever plays will help them keep CS.

Really can't compare Rhys Williams to Tuanzebe though. Williams is 19 and you can see from his body that he's not fully filled out yet. Tuanzebe is 22, a fully grown man, looks very strong. Tuanzebe has also played a decent bit of Championship football, Rhys Williams was playing in the conference just a couple of months ago.

I would worry for him physically with Antonio, I think he'll eat him alive, it really literally would be "men against boys" in that matchup. It's not slight on him at all from Klopp to be benched for Henderson, which I think will ultimately happen if Matip can't play. Could be a good day for Antonio, will be difficult for Liverpool if Matip is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Morzadec wrote: »
    Really can't compare Rhys Williams to Tuanzebe though. Williams is 19 and you can see from his body that he's not fully filled out yet. Tuanzebe is 22, a fully grown man, looks very strong. Tuanzebe has also played a decent bit of Championship football, Rhys Williams was playing in the conference just a couple of months ago.

I would worry for him physically with Antonio, I think he'll eat him alive, it really literally would be "men against boys" in that matchup. It's not slight on him at all from Klopp to be benched for Henderson, which I think will ultimately happen if Matip can't play. Could be a good day for Antonio, will be difficult for Liverpool if Matip is out.

Was going to say the exact same. You can definitely see that Rhys Williams is not fully developed. Has the build of a young Chris Smalling who took a while to develop in the lower leagues before coming up to Fulham / United. Similar build to Rio.

Tuanzebe has the physical attributes now!

There is no way it would be a slight on the young lad at all, Liverpool are top of the league, Champions & recent CL ... that is the highest a player can get to club wise. Look how long it’s taken Foden to get the chances at City who have occupied that position in previous years.

United are operating on a much lower level

Morzadec wrote: »

Ok maybe he doesn't have the physic that Tuanzebe has, but the point that pool have not got any sort of capable back up defenders still remains - they are a team heavily reliant on 4/5 defenders. Nothing has stopped Klopp from going out and address this issue over the last number of years for instance, and having someone like Tuanzebe or even keeping the likes of Lovern as cover.

Similarly pool were heavily dependent on Mane, Salah and Bobby last term, with no real back up, and hence Jota was brought in for 45m, good solid replacement and will be used regularly. Although i do accept it is easier to interchange forward attacking players than defenders, Klopp still addressed the reliance.

Regarding Antonio - is he not injured - came off at weekend with something - hamstring maybe?

Regarding the point on Foden - he had numerous players in front of him to get game time, not just David Silva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Regarding Antonio - is he not injured - came off at weekend with something - hamstring maybe?

Yeah he is a doubt with a hamstring problem. He’s currently being assessed by the medical team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12117396/frank-lampard-chelsea-manager-to-discuss-penalty-taker-options-after-jorginho-miss
    Frank Lampard: Chelsea manager to discuss penalty-taker options after Jorginho miss

Something to ponder for Jorginho owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Is it not a bit kneejerk to think he will be off penalties after hitting the post, it wasn't a bad penalty, he was just unlucky, and he was off the pitch when Werner took the next penalty.

It's possible that Werner may be 2nd in line... But there's no guarantee that jorginho will be a starter for the whole season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Is it not a bit kneejerk to think he will be off penalties after hitting the post, it wasn't a bad penalty, he was just unlucky, and he was off the pitch when Werner took the next penalty.

It's possible that Werner may be 2nd in line... But there's no guarantee that jorginho will be a starter for the whole season

Missed one against Liverpool as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Williams won't play against Westham I'm convinced of it ,

Pointless comparing the situation to Tuanzebe totally different moments in there careers
    Even Tuanzebe might struggle in the position Williams is being asked to play , United played 3 CB and the wing back was AWB who's know for defending so Tuanzebe had plenty of quality around him ,

Williams will be right of 2 CB's and his right back Trent will be much further forward,

Liverpool will have to look to see who in there squad will cope best with strong counter attack runs in that channel and play whoever fits the bill , Could be Hendo or could even be Gini ,

Williams won't play against Westham I'm convinced of it ,

Pointless comparing the situation to Tuanzebe totally different moments in there careers
    Even Tuanzebe might struggle in the position Williams is being asked to play , United played 3 CB and the wing back was AWB who's know for defending so Tuanzebe had plenty of quality around him ,

Williams will be right of 2 CB's and his right back Trent will be much further forward,

Liverpool will have to look to see who in there squad will cope best with strong counter attack runs in that channel and play whoever fits the bill , Could be Hendo or could even be Gini ,

Well the simple question is why don't Liverpool have a player at the same moment in their career as Tuanzebe, or an experienced centre back on the bench. It's not as if Klopp took over the squad this season and hasn't had time to get back up if he doesn't believe the youth are ready yet.

Well the simple question is why don't Liverpool have a player at the same moment in their career as Tuanzebe, or an experienced centre back on the bench. It's not as if Klopp took over the squad this season and hasn't had time to get back up if he doesn't believe the youth are ready yet.

He already addressed that issue in the media. He said he doesn't want 4 established centre backs as its a position in which he rarely rotates.

short answer:
    Joe Gomez is only 6 months older than Tuanzebe.

long answer:

Some would argue that the first choice CB pairing for Liverpool is VVD-Matip with Gomez as 3rd choice. Pre-season, that's an brilliant set of CBs to have, primarily because of VVD and also his durability. He hadn't missed a league game in 3 seasons. If Matip is injured, then Gomez plays. Gomez-VVD is still a top class CB pairing. And then if both are injured, then Fabinho can fill in for the odd game. As it would take a real crisis for 2 CBs to be injured together but VVD is able to pick up the slack.

Clubs don't generally have more than one CB of that kind of age group (21-23) anyways as CBs don't generally be rotated every league games. 3 players into 2 positions usually. A senior CB and then one more, and then one in the 21-23 age group. Rarely clubs will rotate 4 CBs in a season. Each of the top 6 do have players in this age 21-23 group, but the experience of each of the players varies; Liverpool (Gomez 23), Man City (Dias 23), Spurs (Rodon 23), Chelsea (Tomori 22), Man Utd (Tuanzebe 22), Arsenal (Gabriel 22)

Liverpool already had VVD who plays every league game when fit. That leaves one CB slot available and between Gomez & Matip (previously Lovren & Klavan also) to battle it out between. Having another player of lesser experience but with some experience would be ideal but the new player would be 4th in line and chances of playing would be very low. That is why Fabinho was chosen to be 4th choice and to help squad harmony. Liverpool are not the type of club to just stock pile defenders like other clubs have done in the way of Rojo, Jones, Rudiger, Stones and not play them. One game every 5 months, unless there are injuries. It's not economical.

The main reason why this question is being asked is because of an unforeseen injury crisis. Nobody can predict that 3 central defence options will all be injured at the same time, especially given the fitness record of VVD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's well documented Jurgen likes to work with a smaller squad Pep Lijnders has been vocal about this in the past, he likes to guys in the squad to know they are always only one game away from a start ( because of injury or suspension ) he believes it keeps them more together and means they can not get comfortable , He thinks it makes them more of a team, he did this at Dortmund to

So when they sold Lovren & Thaigo came in they decided Fabhino would be 4th choice CB ,because we had so many midfielders it meant if we lost a CB Fab could go in there and someone else would get a chance in midfield, Keeping players happy,

United have a bloated squad with players picking up wages who probably never play like Rojo , Romero and so on something Liverpool want to avoid,

Tunazebe is only 6 months younger than Joe Gomez, So Joe is our Axel ,

Lets not forget Tunazebe has only 10 prem games to his name , I'd say the closet to him in the Liverpool squad in terms of development is Nat Phillips

Advertisement