Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

siblers wrote: »
    Zaha took their last penalty and he scored so PVA is third on the list, possibly 4th with Ayew :pac:
    PVA wasn't on the pitch when that happened tho. Last season against West Ham, Mili wasn't playing, Zaha, PVA and Ayew were, and PVA took it (and scored)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Shedite27 wrote: »
    PVA wasn't on the pitch when that happened tho. Last season against West Ham, Mili wasn't playing, Zaha, PVA and Ayew were, and PVA took it (and scored)

Ah fair enough, wonder will Zaha stay on them ahead of PVA if Mili isn't on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

siblers wrote: »
    Ah fair enough, wonder will Zaha stay on them ahead of PVA if Mili isn't on the pitch

Sure PVA will be staying on the bench playing second fiddle to Mitchell so we'll have nothing to worry about ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Ace2007 wrote: »
    They can't really do that though - as they have set a precedence - especially for some of the handball's that we've seen - they basically are stuck with the rule until next season imo.

I think Ace is right here, everything I've read is that this is based on a firm rule handed down from FIFA. It's not the ref making a decision as such, it's very much out of their hands.

Even Hosgson in his interview seemed to suggest that the referees think it's ludicrous as well. I'd be very confident that the refs are looking at those monitors thinking "This is absurd, this should never be a penalty, but the directive is clear and is telling me that I should give a pen here".

I don't think they can change the rules mid-season.

I think the ridiculous handballs are here to stay, for this season at the very least.

Teams might get a bit better at trying to mitigate against it, but based on the ludicrousness of the rules there's always going to be a good chance a ball ricochets off a player's hand who is jumping, turning, being touch tight on their attacker or any other kind of natural/normal movement you make in football.

Therefore I do think we will continue to see a lot of penalties like this given this season. Maybe not at the accelerated rate of the last 3 weeks, but the rule will be there and it will lead to penos imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭nullObjects

How I feel when I score below average but still like my team:

4gn9v5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Just checked Top 100k points and my current standing of 1.3m OR

There is a 36 point gap.

Bit of calm required, if that gap doesn’t widen before the Int break then all is not lost. A few good GW’s and we’ll be right up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

The triple Liverpool with 2+ defensive assets breakdown:

Robertson / VVD / TAA - 51 points
    Robertson / VVD/ Salah - 64 points
    Robertson / VVD / Mane - 61 points

Robertson/ TAA / Salah - 63 points
    Robertson/ TAA / Mane - 60 points

TAA/ VVD / Salah - 59 points
    TAA / VVD / Mane - 56 points

Think that's all the options anyway. Triple Pool defence looking the worst so far but a combo of x2 defenders +1 midfielders looking the best.
    Apologies if any errors.

Top 3 :

Think that's all the options anyway. Triple Pool defence looking the worst so far but a combo of x2 defenders +1 midfielders looking the best.
    Apologies if any errors.

Top 3 :

One thing though that you haven't taken into consideration is the cost - for example the cost of 3 defenders is cheaper than 2 + Salah/Mane

Being curious at start of season, i set up a "set and forget" team with the 3 pool defenders and captain on TAA every week. The team is only 26 points behind my real team. Sometimes we over complicate the game.

As for my real team - Robbo/TAA/Salah be there for the season unless there are injuries. Obv doesn't leave me much wriggle room for transfers with double poo defence but when you see them conceding last night and still get 17 points - just got to ride out the 1 pointers.

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Just checked Top 100k points and my current standing of 1.3m OR

There is a 36 point gap.

Bit of calm required, if that gap doesn’t widen before the Int break then all is not lost. A few good GW’s and we’ll be right up there.

That's basically a Salah/Son/Vardy captain pick right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Apologies if any errors.

Top 3 :

I've had Robertson - Mane - Salah from the start (20+25+28) = 73points just under half of my points total (144points) .... triple sheff utd defence has cost me lol - 1 cleanie so far.
    On a Wildcard this week so .... will see what I can turn my team into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Being curious at start of season, i set up a "set and forget" team with the 3 pool defenders and captain on TAA every week. The team is only 26 points behind my real team. Sometimes we over complicate the game.

As for my real team - Robbo/TAA/Salah be there for the season unless there are injuries. Obv doesn't leave me much wriggle room for transfers with double poo defence but when you see them conceding last night and still get 17 points - just got to ride out the 1 pointers.
    For me the Robbo/TAA/Salah set and forget just makes the game so easy. Add in KDB to that, and you've nearly half your team you can forget about for the season.

Im in the same boat as having Robbo/TAA/Salah with absolutely no plans to change any of them. The points return from Robbo/TAA considering they've only kept 1 clean sheet is great.

5 points between Robbo and TAA with 0.5M in the difference. Tight if somebody was just picking 1 Robbo looks slightly better but definitely not worth a swap from TAA to Robbo imo

Trent getting 3bps last night highlights the quality he brings, he could of had a monster & soon will.

Seen a stat that Salah has created the most chances this year with 11, James Rodriguez next with 9.

Thinking to last night Mane could easily of scored another from Salah assist & Jota too.

Mo has also had the most goal attempts & 1 behind DCL. With shots in the box.

Triple Liverpool is the way to go & it really is a set & forget strategy! Or you could be a maverick and flip Salah/Mane each week as they do seem to have their favourite teams & both tend to outscore each other every second week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

On TAA, I wonder will he score better when Thiago doesn't play? He's the main playmaker almost for the past season yet when Thiago came on against Chelsea then a lot more play was directed through him... of course it's 45 minutes against a team with 10 men.

But something to monitor maybe? (Probably not a big issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

On TAA, I wonder will he score better when Thiago doesn't play? He's the main playmaker almost for the past season yet when Thiago came on against Chelsea then a lot more play was directed through him... of course it's 45 minutes against a team with 10 men.

But something to monitor maybe? (Probably not a big issue)

Very good point Mr P. Thiago could take some of the creativity away from TAA down the line.

I'd still expect Trent to offer a huge threat down the right even with Thiago there as it's just the way Liverpool set up. It's certainly one to monitor though.

I’d expect Trent to be even more of a threat, you seen last night Trent getting pick out by Van Dijk round the back & over the top with 60 yard passes.

Thiago picking up that ball closer to the front will allow Trent to be more positive and further advanced as Liverpool can build plays from the middle. Typically a lot of it is built from the centre halves. Be interesting on Salah / Mane too as I can see them making more runs from out to in knowing Thiago can pick them.

It’s often at times you Salah making them early in the match a lot of time & as the game hits 60/70 minutes he stops making them and hugs the touch line.. makes you wonder why he stops making them.. not getting picked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Having Thiago in the middle could also free Trent up more, as he will not be double marked.

Last night, Arsenal had Tierney, AMN & PEA all on the left wing. And TAA still had a night of terrific delivery and got an assist. Could have had a couple more too. I think it was hit shot that was deflected onto the bar too.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Having Thiago in the middle could also free Trent up more, as he will not be double marked.

Last night, Arsenal had Tierney, AMN & PEA all on the left wing. And TAA still had a night of terrific delivery and got an assist. Could have had a couple more too. I think it was hit shot that was deflected onto the bar too.

Aye Fitz it was his shot. He could of had a monster score.

Chesty08 wrote: »
    It’s often at times you Salah making them early in the match a lot of time & as the game hits 60/70 minutes he stops making them and hugs the touch line.. makes you wonder why he stops making them.. not getting picked out?

Might be tactical. Having Salah make constant runs from out to in will tire out defenders. Later in the game, having him stay wide will keep the full backs out wide and leave space for oncoming midfield runners through the tired defenders, or the likes of Minamino who are full of energy having more space in the middle.

Aye Fitz it was his shot. He could of had a monster score.

He really was on it last night. He won't get the plaudits like he did against Watford a few years ago with 3 assists or the Leicester game but last night was an excellent performance IMO, passing & crossing was top notch. His first big performance of the season, after the break and injury. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

I am biased towards him, but I really think that he is the most important player in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeah I don't see Thiago affecting TAA's points negatively at all. I don't really see Thiago as much of a FF option, he'll dictate the pace of the game and influence it hugely but in terms of goal involvement it'll be more the pass to the assister rather than the assist itself I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Saw this on Twitter. List of PL Penalty takers. Seems accurate and legit from a quick glance.

https://twitter.com/Sugeee_FPL/status/1310887982992248833?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Saw this on Twitter. List of PL Penalty takers. Seems accurate and legit from a quick glance.

Helpful guide alright. Some of it is incorrect though such as Grealish as he missed a penalty last season.

A few of the players they have down on the list are real fringe players as well who will rarely if ever see action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

sheroman01 wrote: »

Mahrez is terrible at penalties :P
    Scored 6, missed 10!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

That's basically a Salah/Son/Vardy captain pick right there.

There will also be a lot of teams with chips played currently in the top 100k.

Lots of the teams at the top of mini leagues have hit BB already.

FHFC wrote: »
    There will also be a lot of teams with chips played currently in the top 100k.

Lots of the teams at the top of mini leagues have hit BB already.

Hitting BB early is not a bad strategy. Will be looking to use mine as soon as my bench have decent fixtures

Change in the interpretation of the handball rule coming in for GW 4 of fixtures.

“The strategy will be implemented from this weekend and it is expected to flip the approach applied in preceding weeks. Instead of looking for “unnatural” body shapes a referee will be invited to consider whether a player could be expected to have their arms in such a position given the way they were standing, or how they were interacting with opponents.
    A separate clause in the handball rule which calls a foul if a player has the hand above their shoulder when struck will not be changed.
    Under the new interpretation the majority of penalties given for handball this season would not have been awarded. They include the controversial spot-kicks awarded against Crystal Palace’s Joel Ward and Manchester United’s Victor Lindelöf”

But the Dier penalty would still be given - “Dier called for a change in the laws following the decision, which gave Newcastle a late point. “Everyone’s on the same page,” he told the BBC. “Something has to change.”
    Dier’s hand was above his shoulder, however, meaning the penalty would stand. The fact that he was caught from behind by a hard-driven ball from an opponent at close quarters would not be taken into consideration”

So time to sell all the penalty takers ?

Hope the wildcarders see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,085 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Change in the interpretation of the handball rule coming in for GW 4 of fixtures.

“The strategy will be implemented from this weekend and it is expected to flip the approach applied in preceding weeks. Instead of looking for “unnatural” body shapes a referee will be invited to consider whether a player could be expected to have their arms in such a position given the way they were standing, or how they were interacting with opponents.
    A separate clause in the handball rule which calls a foul if a player has the hand above their shoulder when struck will not be changed.
    Under the new interpretation the majority of penalties given for handball this season would not have been awarded. They include the controversial spot-kicks awarded against Crystal Palace’s Joel Ward and Manchester United’s Victor Lindelöf”

But the Dier penalty would still be given - “Dier called for a change in the laws following the decision, which gave Newcastle a late point. “Everyone’s on the same page,” he told the BBC. “Something has to change.”
    Dier’s hand was above his shoulder, however, meaning the penalty would stand. The fact that he was caught from behind by a hard-driven ball from an opponent at close quarters would not be taken into consideration”

I said this about the Dier one at the time and was shot down roundly.

Only 6 of the 20 penalties have been for handball, and the Dier one would still be a penalty, so how many of the 6 would not be given under the new interpretation?

• Advertisement

Only 6 of the 20 penalties have been for handball, and the Dier one would still be a penalty, so how many of the 6 would not be given under the new interpretation?

So you’re asking me - if the train leaves the station at 12.15 ........

Edit - what have I told you about being contrary ?

Advertisement