Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What returns were people expecting from TAA in the first 2 GW? It hasn't even crossed my mind to get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What returns were people expecting from TAA in the first 2 GW? It hasn't even crossed my mind to get rid.

He only returned in 12 games last year, so 26 blanks. Returns in every 3 games is about average. He went 2 or more games with a blank 8 times last year. Just leave him there. The game is TAA + 10 others

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    He only returned in 12 games last year, so 26 blanks. Returns in every 3 games is about average. He went 2 or more games with a blank 8 times last year. Just leave him there. The game is TAA + 10 others

You could say the same about Robertson

Taking the Leicester game out (which is a but ridiculous I admit) they'd be on about the same points last year, and eye test wise Robbo has been ahead of Trent. This, and Robbos new set piece duties has him ahead of Trent on my WC.

As a Liverpool fan i can't take a double CS loss and a goal conceded.......

DCL/Foden

Or

Jesus/Podence

Some of the managers need their head testing.

I’d never wish an injury on a player but I don’t agree with managers ‘flogging’ players either. How can they cry about fixtures and injuries but still pick players in the ‘lesser’ comps ?

Surely they have priorities, as handed down from above, but I think there’s a bit of selfishness going on too.

I can understand Ancelotti going for the league cup because of his seasons fixtures (but he still rested 5-6) but Mourinho starting Son and bringing on Kane ? Surely those boys should have been home resting tonight ?

Klopp needs his head testing starting VVD too. Arguably the one player that would make the biggest difference (negatively to the team performance) if he was out injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I can understand Ancelotti going for the league cup because of his seasons fixtures (but he still rested 5-6) but Mourinho starting Son and bringing on Kane ? Surely those boys should have been home resting tonight ?

EL matches tonight are qualifiers for the group stage and only played as a single leg. Actually, not even qualifiers, now spurs are into a playoff and the winner of that gets into the group stages. Lose tonight and they would have been out of the competition. By all accounts they needed the 3 substitution around the hour mark (Kane, Moura and LoCelso) to get the job done as it was 1-1 until the final 10-12 mins.

EL matches tonight are qualifiers for the group stage and only played as a single leg. Actually, not even qualifiers, now spurs are into a playoff and the winner of that gets into the group stages. Lose tonight and they would have been out of the competition. By all accounts they needed the 3 substitution around the hour mark (Kane, Moura and LoCelso) to get the job done as it was 1-1 until the final 10-12 mins.

Shows you what I know. I assumed it was a league cup game. Doh.

Not sure what’s going on at Burnley but if things stay as they are, and they stay up, then Dyche HAS to be manager of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'm not planning to get rid. Just saying that right now I think I'd take the 0.5 and Robbo over TAA if I was making that call. I think they'll be on similar tallies come end of season. With Robbo taking a lot of corners now it largely is just direct free kicks that TAA has over Robbo and realistically we could only expect that to lead to about 2 goals over the course of a season. TAA is a far better striker of the ball generally so you might expect more goals in open play too, but Robbo did manage 2 himself last season. Then I think Robbo has the slight edge on BPS when not returning (hard to find data on this, but I feel like Robbo can often be on for 3 bonus when Liverpool win 1 or 2 nil). Robbo ended last season far better and so far has looked a better attacking threat, including in games like the Community Shield against Arsenal.

Overall I think both are tremendous value. My plan was always to stick with them for the whole season as I think they will reward that faith having now both done it over 2 seasons. Both nailed on, play for the team with the best defence and routinely are in the attacking 3rd, playing passes and crosses. They could have both been 0.5 more each and I would have had them in.

The amount of goals flying in at the moment and the emergence of players like James in midfield around the same price point is a challenge to this commitment. My team is very light in midfield with 2 big hitters and 3 cheapies and there's a real lack of viable options right now sub 6.0 in attack and sub 5.5 in midfield. Some might look at my team and say I should take money out of defence - there are some other great attacking options like Lamptey coming through at 4.5. It's not absurd right now to suggest that Lamptey and James could look preferable to TAA and 4.5 fodder.

I will be sticking to my guns and like you say TAA is probably on par at the moment to have 8 points. But the above is just some rationale as to why I could see why some would at least be considering whether TAA will be part of their long term plans. Most likely he will for me, but I'd say I'm likely to play a WC in GW4 or 5 and there is a chance TAA's place will be up for consideration based on:

1) My opinion that there's very very little to choose between Robbo and TAA, so Robbo is arguably better value

2) The way goals are flying in

3) The lack of good budget options (so far) in midfield and attack

Morzadec wrote: »
    Overall I think both are tremendous value. My plan was always to stick with them for the whole season as I think they will reward that faith having now both done it over 2 seasons. Both nailed on, play for the team with the best defence and routinely are in the attacking 3rd, playing passes and crosses. They could have both been 0.5 more each and I would have had them in.
    I'm in the same boat, but feel it's going to test me every week when I look to make my transfers. Knowing you can downgrade 2.5 - 3m to a passable defender is awfully tempting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

Seriously thinking of Bench Boost this week with the following bench:

McCarthy (bur)
    KWP (bur)
    Taylor (SOU)
    Harrison (shu)

I picked a squad with 15 starters for the first few weeks and will most likely Wildcard in the next couple of weeks, which will no doubt involve having some fodder on the bench. Usually keep this for later in the season for DGWs, but never found it to be worth much and it is a complete headwrecker.

Not sure I will get better fixtures on the bench, plus I'm on a -4, so would like to mitigate it this week!

What are your thoughts?

mectavba wrote: »

McCarthy (bur)
    KWP (bur)
    Taylor (SOU)
    Harrison (shu)

I picked a squad with 15 starters for the first few weeks and will most likely Wildcard in the next couple of weeks, which will no doubt involve having some fodder on the bench. Usually keep this for later in the season for DGWs, but never found it to be worth much and it is a complete headwrecker.

Not sure I will get better fixtures on the bench, plus I'm on a -4, so would like to mitigate it this week!

What are your thoughts?

Looks as good a week as any to play it - really hoping for a nil nil in SOU-BUR

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

McCarthy (bur)
    KWP (bur)
    Taylor (SOU)
    Harrison (shu)

What are your thoughts?

Who knows what will happen with Covid and fixtures - if we ended up with multiple DGW in future - you might prefer to keep it until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

McCarthy (bur)
    KWP (bur)
    Taylor (SOU)
    Harrison (shu)

What are your thoughts?

I’d be tempted to go for it. As good fixtures as any to use it on, It gives you the option of maybe freeing up maybe .5 or 1m when you use your wildcard.
    I know there maybe dgw’s later in the season but like you said it can be a bit of a head wreck, but I’ve started to come around to the idea of using that chip early and try to get better use out of extra money to put into players you want in your team and otherwise might not been able to afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I currently have Ryan and Martinez as my two keepers....

Happy enough with rest of team and have .2 from rises in the bank....am considering transferring out one of the 4.5 keepers and sticking with the other lad a nice few GW's ......all going well.

Martinez is very close to a rise on Fpl Stats....on 100%
    whereas Ryan is -7%
    Martinez has Fulham A, Liverpool H, Leicester A, Leeds H,Southampton H, Arsenal A, Brighton H, and a run of nice fixtures after that including West Ham and Newcastle.

Ryan has Man Utd H,Everton A, Crystal Palace A,West Brom H,Spurs A,Burnley H, Aston Villa A,has a few nasty fixtures then including Liverpool and Leicester.

My gut tells me Ryan has a steadier defence ahead of him.....Tyrone Mings never fills me full of confidence whenever I see Villa playing:)

Appreciate any thoughts on which keeper to ditch?....would invest the .5 saved to upgrade to likes of Werner up front or to Robbo in defence.

if going with Martinez who is best 4.0 backup to get and same question if going for Ryan?

Apologies for long post but this could be a season maker for me if I get it right;)

I currently have Ryan and Martinez as my two keepers....

Happy enough with rest of team and have .2 from rises in the bank....am considering transferring out one of the 4.5 keepers and sticking with the other lad a nice few GW's ......all going well.

Martinez is very close to a rise on Fpl Stats....on 100%
    whereas Ryan is -7%
    Martinez has Fulham A, Liverpool H, Leicester A, Leeds H,Southampton H, Arsenal A, Brighton H, and a run of nice fixtures after that including West Ham and Newcastle.

Ryan has Man Utd H,Everton A, Crystal Palace A,West Brom H,Spurs A,Burnley H, Aston Villa A,has a few nasty fixtures then including Liverpool and Leicester.

My gut tells me Ryan has a steadier defence ahead of him.....Tyrone Mings never fills me full of confidence whenever I see Villa playing:)

Appreciate any thoughts on which keeper to ditch?....would invest the .5 saved to upgrade to likes of Werner up front or to Robbo in defence.

if going with Martinez who is best 4.0 backup to get and same question if going for Ryan?

Apologies for long post but this could be a season maker for me if I get it right;)

It will likely end up being much for muchness over the season.

I would go for Ryan if you dont have Lamptey as Brighton will keep more cleans than Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

It will likely end up being much for muchness over the season.

I would go for Ryan if you dont have Lamptey as Brighton will keep more cleans than Villa.

Thanks for reply.....
    My back 5 are

Saiss, Robbo,Ward(Palace),KWP and Lamptey but tbh I wouldn’t be afraid to double up on Brighton in easier fixtures if I went with Ryan.

Who is most likely to come in for Ryan if injured?......Steele or a fit Walton?

Same question regarding Martinez?
    You have Nyland,Steer and a fit Heaton in a few weeks on bench.

Thanks for any replies

Thanks for reply.....
    My back 5 are

Saiss, Robbo,Ward(Palace),KWP and Lamptey but tbh I wouldn’t be afraid to double up on Brighton in easier fixtures if I went with Ryan.

Who is most likely to come in for Ryan if injured?......Steele or a fit Walton?

Same question regarding Martinez?
    You have Nyland,Steer and a fit Heaton in a few weeks on bench.

Thanks for any replies

No idea on either to be honest. Steer was on the bench. There was a whisper that Forster might start a game (but I cant see it as he is woeful with a high line).

If you are that on the fence (and I am on a wildcard) if you want to set and forget go Martinez as he plays an extra game! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

It's Steer at the moment, Heaton in November I'd imagine if he stays on track

I have had money in the bank all week and have been unsure what to do with it - on wildcard

Would you go

1. Salah/Podence (0.4m in bank)
    2. James/Son (2.5m in the bank) - or (Pulisic/Son longer term)

Or is Salah/KDB too template - and will stop me rising the ranks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I have had money in the bank all week and have been unsure what to do with it - on wildcard

Would you go

Something like 10% of players have kdb and Salah so don't let that stop you. It's a tough call there, Son and Pulisic will probably outscore Salah and Podence over the season though.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    Something like 10% of players have kdb and Salah so don't let that stop you. It's a tough call there, Son and Pulisic will probably outscore Salah and Podence over the season though.

Yeah I feel like you are right, I just need Pulisic to get fit!

Might be a short term Salah/Podence, with a switch in a few weeks - post international break

Edit: the more I think about it going to downgrade DCL to Brewster and keep Rodriguez.

Then it's Werner or Jimi to DCL and JRod to Puli in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Would you go

I’d go Son+James for now.....James may well turn out to be a lad that only performs for start of season but you might as well be on that train for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Who to start : KWP (Burnley Away) or Mitchell (Everton Home) ???

Who to start : KWP (Burnley Away) or Mitchell (Everton Home) ???

If you have any Everton KWP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Dearg81 wrote: »

Are those stats updated with GW3 stats? seems a bit low

Any opinions on one from

James R, Mahrez, Greenwood

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Are those stats updated with GW3 stats? seems a bit low

The site wouldn't be able to figure it out until teams update so definielty now. It was about 6% last gameweek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Is Sterling > Salah for the next three GWs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Green&Red wrote: »
    Is Sterling > Salah for the next three GWs?

Debating the same thing myself. On WC

A. Saiss, Salah, Foden
    B. TAA, Sterling, Burke

I'm thinking B. Burke could drop to bench

Advertisement