Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Dion Fanning sneering his way through life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dion Fanning sneering his way through life.

Gone from Joe dot eye eee apparently, it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

The rugby stuff yesterday was awfully boring (no surprise).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Gone from Joe dot eye eee apparently, it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

Not too sound like captain hindsight, but I couldn't believe Dion went there in the first place.

Xavi6 wrote: »

I liked Ireland Unfiltered, pity it won't be back then.

Must be very recent is it? He did the Joe soccer show post Bulgaria but not Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Dion does have a sneery attitude but he isn't the worst contributor they have on.

I listened to the rugby stuff yesterday - first time in a while. So dull, Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Arghus wrote: »
    Dion does have a sneery attitude but he isn't the worst contributor they have on.

I listened to the rugby stuff yesterday - first time in a while. So dull, Jesus Christ.

The rugby lads (and rugby as a whole) have disappeared up their own arse.

And I say this as someone for whom rugby is their favourite sport.

"learnings" "kpi's" and other corporate jargon has permeated into the rugby lexicon. i work in aviation leasing and ive noticed 4 ex internationals have been parachuted into the industry. Took me 20 years to get where they got post rugby careers. I didnt go to a private school or play for ireland i suppose.

If you look into LinkedIn pages of some old irish players you will see they are littered through high finance and the grand canal dock "set". This is their language.

Im not casting aspersions per se but they definitely represent a different cadre of society and they way they speak on the game is a reflection of this. Cater to the ABC 1's and don't upset anyone.

They are far removed from your Brian Kerrs and James McCleans. There is a smugness to the discourse on OTB, Second Captains, BBC . Everywhere

It's so apt that even on second captains they draft in their south of the liffey accented Simon Hick to wax lyrical with thornley about physicality. The nadir was reached when they referred to jack cartys frontal cortex and synapse performance.

All it needed was for some lads to drive by in a car shouting " rugby ****"

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

TRANQUILLO wrote: »

"learnings" "kpi's" and other corporate jargon has permeated into the rugby lexicon. i work in aviation leasing and ive noticed 4 ex internationals have been parachuted into the industry. Took me 20 years to get where they got post rugby careers. I didnt go to a private school or play for ireland i suppose.

If you look into LinkedIn pages of some old irish players you will see they are littered through high finance and the grand canal dock "set". This is their language.

Im not casting aspersions per se but they definitely represent a different cadre of society and they way they speak on the game is a reflection of this. Cater to the ABC 1's and don't upset anyone.

They are far removed from your Brian Kerrs and James McCleans. There is a smugness to the discourse on OTB, Second Captains, BBC . Everywhere

It's so apt that even on second captains they draft in their south of the liffey accented Simon Hick to wax lyrical with thornley about physicality. The nadir was reached when they referred to jack cartys frontal cortex and synapse performance.

You most certainly are.

Jim Root wrote: »
    You most certainly are.

i told ya i wazint b4 i sed it

****ing hell, I'd manage to bury that deep in the recesses of my brain. Thanks for reminding me!

If I could thank your post umpteen times, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Loved Ken's Mitchell & Webb-esque "Who will get to wear the white shirts in that one? tune in to find out!" when Eoin mentioned Premier Sports would be showing Leeds/Fulham this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ken on arseblog this week. Always enjoyable because he is so relaxed with Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Ken on arseblog this week. Always enjoyable because he is so relaxed with Andrew.

Cheers for this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

DukeCaboom wrote: »

525999.jpg

Ken channeling his inner Pádraig Pearse on yesterday’s show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Really enjoyed the show yesterday! A lot of fun and the TDF stuff was interesting too

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Fast forwarded through trimby and shaggy today Jesus what a dose. The rugby segments are awful these days as said earlier in the thread. Snooze

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

unplayable wrote: »
    Fast forwarded through trimby and shaggy today Jesus what a dose. The rugby segments are awful these days as said earlier in the thread. Snooze

Horgan is completely overused by them on the rugby. He's very often the only pundit they use. At least on the football they have maybe a dozen different contributors that they use semi-regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Horgan is completely overused by them on the rugby. He's very often the only pundit they use. At least on the football they have maybe a dozen different contributors that they use semi-regularly.

Very hard pay someone else when he's doing it for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think the issue with the rugby is they talk about the gameplay, rather than the bigger picture. So it's technical in nature and a right snooze. Whereas their soccerball coverage is more wider picture focused, which is more interesting. Especially when covering a game from a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Bit of a non sequitur but I looked up Cantona’s goal against Wimbledon in 1996 after one of the lads compared Mo Salah’s goal and celebration against Leeds to it. Worth looking up because it’s a really brilliant comparison. There’s a beautiful arrogance to both strikes that’s very similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the only interesting rugby pundit I find is Andy Dunne... He actually tends to hold contrary opinions and communicates them well without being an arse... Refreshing to step back from a lot of the group think hero worship crap that makes up the rest of the rugby coverage

unfortunately he's mostly found contributing to Newstalk..

lawred2 wrote: »
    the only interesting rugby pundit I find is Andy Dunne... He actually tends to hold contrary opinions and communicates them well without being an arse... Refreshing to step back from a lot of the group think hero worship crap that makes up the rest of the rugby coverage

unfortunately he's mostly found contributing to Newstalk..

Have you seen that sycophant Kinsella on twitter. He's the worst of the lot.
    Complete and utter fanboy.

Interesting chat about John Delaney yesterday but I'd be lying if I said my main take away wasn't that Mark Tighe pronounces it Packie Boner.

Arghus wrote: »
    Interesting chat about John Delaney yesterday but I'd be lying if I said my main take away wasn't that Mark Tighe pronounces it Packie Boner.

I think that's actually the way Packie pronounces it himself. The Donegal pronounciation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's so true about the rugby coverage. I said something similar last year:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111540046&postcount=8489

If they had Ken talking about the rugby coach/player drama rather than the tactical minutia of every single position I'd be sure to tune in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We need a rugby version of Ken to call out the bullshít.

Life ain't always empty.

We need a rugby version of Ken to call out the bullshít.

I think if you can call out bullshít you won't work in Rugby punditry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Murph really annoyed me yesterday or maybe it was the day before. Ken was talking about Michael Collins when they were talking about Doherty or Dockerty. Ken was about to start talking about something completely ridiculous about being down by the statue or something and Murph just had to interject and talk over him. Murphs point was right but whatever, it's entertainment and that's what Ken provides. I want to know what the statue ****e talk was. :(

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Murph really annoyed me yesterday or maybe it was the day before. Ken was talking about Michael Collins when they were talking about Doherty or Dockerty. Ken was about to start talking about something completely ridiculous about being down by the statue or something and Murph just had to interject and talk over him. Murphs point was right but whatever, it's entertainment and that's what Ken provides. I want to know what the statue ****e talk was. :(

Email them

Advertisement