Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think some of them look at the thread every so often. But anyone doing podcasts/tv/movies or anything like that are told to ignore online criticism from social media. Which is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think some of them look at the thread every so often. But anyone doing podcasts/tv/movies or anything like that are told to ignore online criticism from social media. Which is fair enough.

Some of it is very constructive though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Really enjoyed the coverage of Dundalk's European success on today's pod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd say Ken is the only person in the world happier than Slaven Bilic right now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I'd say Ken is the only person in the world happier than Slaven Bilic right now:D

Frank does look hilarious when he is loosing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Hammy Habraham saves the day.

I looked at a reddit thread after the Chelsea game, they mag have got the draw, but Chelsea fans are turning on Lampard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

What's the beef between Pat Kenny and the lads? I'm sure it stemmed from something years ago, but dunno what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cant wait to hear Ken's full version of New York :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Not many things more dull than people talking about VAR/rules of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

sheroman01 wrote: »
    What's the beef between Pat Kenny and the lads? I'm sure it stemmed from something years ago, but dunno what it is.

I don't think there's genuine beef there. I vaguely remember that there was some slot they used to occasionally do while working for Newstalk that picked out Kenny's latest Partridge moment and had a mocking jingle to go with it, but it felt a bit put on, like it mightn't have actually been their idea - some marketing genius in the station thought it up kind of thing.

I think they just have a few audio beds of Kenny saying stupid things, because he's often unintentionally hilarious in his pompous gormlessness - but I don't think there's genuine animosity there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think there's genuine beef there. I vaguely remember that there was some slot they used to occasionally do while working for Newstalk that picked out Kenny's latest Partridge moment and had a mocking jingle to go with it, but it felt a bit put on, like it mightn't have actually been their idea - some marketing genius in the station thought it up kind of thing.

I think they just have a few audio beds of Kenny saying stupid things, because he's often unintentionally hilarious in his pompous gormlessness - but I don't think there's genuine animosity there.

Cheap shot!

Cheap shot!

Don't treat me like a fool.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Is it true Gavin Henson goes into Church after every match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Good clean fun, with Pat Kenny was the jokey thing they did in the good ol days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Is it true Gavin Henson goes into Church after every match?

Was it Des Cahill who had to explain the joke to him?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was it Des Cahill who had to explain the joke to him?

Can't remember exactly but there was a moment of awkward silence before Des responded to him.

Fill me King.

Ken was 100% spot on with the problem with the handball rules

Paddy Kenny photo https://robertatkinson61.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/fatpaddy.jpg?w=640

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

MORE KEN SINGING PLEASE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

In my wildest imagination I didn't expect it to be quite that bad :eek:

elefant wrote: »
    In my wildest imagination I didn't expect it to be quite that bad :eek:

Yeah me neither. Does anyone have the ones of him with the boots?

If he does listen to the podcast, I can't imagine him picking up the phone to do the interview now :D:D

Arghus wrote: »
    Don't treat me like a fool.

No not you, ME!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

No not you, ME!

I never understood that line

Beersmith wrote: »
    I never understood that line

Pat Kenny was reading a message from a listener, who was slagging him. He was reading the message out loud to a guest, and was just clarifying to the guest that the insults were to himself and not the guest.

Pat Kenny was reading a message from a listener, who was slagging him.

"You have the charisma of a sick bag" How did the guest reckon that was aimed at him rather than the Plank?:P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Obrieski wrote: »
    MORE KEN SINGING PLEASE!!!

Got Ken doing a bit of Billy Joel today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Didn't Ken sing Power of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood on one of the Christmas episodes a few years ago haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

humberklog wrote: »
    Got Ken doing a bit of Billy Joel today.

Did I miss that, our just already forget about it?

• Advertisement

I wish I could forget the Neil Warnock anecdote as easily:eek:

It was today saying he was heading out to Abbotstown but to the tune of Allentown.

I wish I could forget the Neil Warnock anecdote as easily:eek:

I might try doing the same thing in front of staff in work to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

I might try doing the same thing in front of staff in work to see what happens.

I look forward to Mark Horgan's investigative podcast series about trying to find you after that! :D

Anyone know why The Dubliners track was played at the end of yesterday's episode?

Anyone know why The Dubliners track was played at the end of yesterday's episode?

For Dermo retiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

An ode to The Fair View.

Neymar is yet to tweet about it.

healy1835 wrote: »
    An ode to The Fair View.

Wasn't it the Marino Waltz for Connolly?

Ah right. I skipped all the chat about the GAA. My bad. Should have put it altogether to be fair ha. I did think of the Fair View when I heard it. He should bring that back was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

podcasts are always late the days I want to hear it the most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

podcasts are always late the days I want to hear it the most

Always seems to be that way haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ken was oddly obsessing/paranoid about the fake crowd noises....

He really doesn’t like BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ken was oddly obsessing/paranoid about the fake crowd noises....

It was funny hear him rant but not really sure what his problem was. BT and Sky both have options without the noise. BBC show so few games it's hardly worth moaning about, especially when it's free to air

I felt a pang of dissapointment when Eoin distracted Ken off just before he was going to get into the moon landings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Don't find Richie Sadlier's opinion on soccer interesting at all. It is a complete mystery to me how he has amassed a media career.

I'd value Ken Early's opinion more and at least I might get funny side comment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Im throwing this comment in here that I posted in the McWilliams podcast thread because it mentions second captains and I feel its relevant.

Seemingly Trump getting Covid is funny now....... The pair of them laughing on todays podcast. There is a smugness to the way they go about their business. Ill still listen moreso for the guests but it is wearing thin.

Either the virus is dangerous and needs to be taken seriously or it isn't. He didnt get diarrhoea.

Its akin to Varadkar being doused in smoothie last week....but it's funny when it happens to Farage. You either stand for something or you stand for nothing.

McWilliams sidekick here is like a less vocal Tony Groves from the Black Eye. There is a sanctimonious holier than thou " forgive them for they know not what they do" air about them.

I listen to McWilliams, Second Captains, the Black Eye, Dunphy and used to listen to Blindboy. But once you start to see the virtue signlling you cant unsee it. A comment here, a remark there. Thinly veiled but always present. Ken early compared the premier leagues generous proliferation of penalties to Brexit in his indo piece last week which they then ran with on the pod. They just cant help themselves....and I say that as a man with a SC Annual signed by Ken Early on my bookshelf. The way i saw it the insinuation was (between the indo piece and audio of Jenas' commentary) was that its a racist anti foreigners country who don't want stupid european (foreigner) hand ball rules. The irony of Jenas being a person of colour himself not withstanding.

I want to listen to sport and economics reportage but I don't want to be moralised to on a daily basis. If anything id say this is the new "populism".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,441 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    Either the virus is dangerous and needs to be taken seriously or it isn't. He didnt get diarrhoea.

The thing is that the virus is dangerous, but Trump didn't take it seriously. He basically asked to get it. That's the difference here.

dulpit wrote: »
    The thing is that the virus is dangerous, but Trump didn't take it seriously. He basically asked to get it. That's the difference here.

I don't think there is a difference. And I think the inference can be drawn that there are others apart from Trump they would also laugh at.

If people want to claim/portray some sort of higher morality then they have stand over it and apply a consistent standard. Schadenfreude laden smirks at people they don't like or agree with just undermines their pomposity.

"616 cases in Northern Ireland yesterday " murph exclaims in an almost panicked tone.

To that i say "so what".

Cases are just cases. Test everyone for diabetes or chlamydia and there will be a disturbing spike in those too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement