Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Ken was on form on totally football show.

might have to reliven my sub for one day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

lawred2 wrote: »
    might have to reliven my sub for one day

He's on right at start,so no need to listen to whole thing

Worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Ken was far better on TFW than second captains i thought. I know he is purposely going against the grain for entertainment but like eoin pointed out Ken wouldn't have taken a 1-0 win against lux!!!!
    Don't think you have a foot to stand on after that regarding our sense of entitlement unless he admitted to being the biggest zealot of that entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

So Ken is just a type of Duncan Castles Mourinho shill now for Kenny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I don't think so. I think he is just being obtuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

“Now we’re couuuukin on gas” always gets a laugh out of me

Beersmith wrote: »
    I don't think so. I think he is just being obtuse.

I know, I would like if he fully committed to the castles role. It would make Kenny’s failure funny anyway.

I know, I would like if he fully committed to the castles role. It would make Kenny’s failure funny anyway.

Did Kenny do something to you personally or are you not an Irish supporter? I suppose SC do have a lot of listeners from other countries too.

Did Kenny do something to you personally.

No. Didn’t mean to offend or whatever the appropriate word is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Thought the football pod was good, Delaney obviously thinks a lot about the game, but there was one large gap in my head as a result.
    He mentioned at one point something along the lines of "not going back to 4-4-2 dinosaurs" but then completely went against the 3-5-2 formation we played. He never mentioned / was asked how he would set up the team.

Pre-Serbia, I was of the opinion that we needed to somehow fit Coleman and Doherty into the side (I still have that opinion).
    The best way, I felt, was 3-5-2.
    Now by Delaney's logic, he must want some form of 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 (wasn't asked) but would that mean not fitting both of those players into the same side?
    I was shouting at my phone for someone to ask the question what way we should play, and as a result, who would potentially miss out?

The emailer at the end hit the nail on the head, the analogy of the foundations allowing the house to subside while we had someone in painting the kitchen was very apt I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Obrieski wrote: »
    Thought the football pod was good, Delaney obviously thinks a lot about the game, but there was one large gap in my head as a result.
    He mentioned at one point something along the lines of "not going back to 4-4-2 dinosaurs" but then completely went against the 3-5-2 formation we played. He never mentioned / was asked how he would set up the team.

Pre-Serbia, I was of the opinion that we needed to somehow fit Coleman and Doherty into the side (I still have that opinion).
    The best way, I felt, was 3-5-2.
    Now by Delaney's logic, he must want some form of 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 (wasn't asked) but would that mean not fitting both of those players into the same side?
    I was shouting at my phone for someone to ask the question what way we should play, and as a result, who would potentially miss out?

The emailer at the end hit the nail on the head, the analogy of the foundations allowing the house to subside while we had someone in painting the kitchen was very apt I felt.

Ya to be fair Delaney had a good few nitpicks but no real solutions, I thought he came off really well and I usually don’t like him but maybe that’s because I share his view on Kenny and keeping with this style of football.

Ken was also on top form. I really really like Richie but sometimes he goes down the rabbit hole and comes off sounding too smart for his own good.

Obrieski wrote: »

When have you seen Matt Doherty have a good game for ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

CHEAP SHOT !!!!!! CHEAP SHOT !!!!!!!! CHEAP SHOT !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Anyone know the uplifting sounding music used in the new 2000 episode audio bed? I recognise it from somewhere but can't place it to google name!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought Delaney was great today. He's an underrated contributor when they have him on in my view. I love hearing people getting into the nuts and bolts of why things happen on the pitch and, Jonathan Wilson aside, they don't have many people regularly on that do talk with knowledge about the literal reasons why things play out the way they do on a football pitch. It felt refreshing to hear that kind of analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Anyone know the uplifting sounding music used in the new 2000 episode audio bed? I recognise it from somewhere but can't place it to google name!

Edit: and obviously the first 2 seconds is Maniac 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ken having a right ding dong with Chris Sutton over on 5 live tonight.

https://twitter.com/5liveSport/status/1376623111752269834

• Registered Users Posts: 31,173 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jeez, Ken's really diversifying his work these days! Hopefully just fun little side hustles and he's not prepping to jump off the second captains ship or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,591 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jeez, Ken's really diversifying his work these days! Hopefully just fun little side hustles and he's not prepping to jump off the second captains ship or anything!

Hopefully it'll just give Second Captains more exposure to podcast listeners in the UK etc.

Hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Chris Sutton comes across as such a dick anytime I've seen him on punditry.

Cringey enough listening to him talking about Martin O' Neill, the fella clearly has absolutely zero knowledge of how utterly diabolical we were post '16 under O' Néill.

Arghus wrote: »

Cringey enough listening to him talking about Martin O' Neill, the fella clearly has absolutely zero knowledge of how utterly diabolical we were post '16 under O' Néill.

I find him funny on 606 when I’ve heard it on the radio. Himself and Robbie savage have an entertaining dynamic.

Poor Ken is arguing from an impossible position. The results are crap and Sutton focused on that. But Sutton could have easily focused on the football not being any better so far. More pointless passing, marginally better possession stats, less excitement and attacking.

Ken would have been better just admitting it’s ****e for now and fingers crossed for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My favourite song by The National has been tainted, now forever associated with the Luxembourg shambles thanks to the new audio bed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I've more time for the Johnny Giles 'I haven't seen much of <insert team here> but here's my take based on some general assumptions most of us have' approach, rather then Sutton's 'I'm going to speak with absolute authority on every subject, no matter how little I actually know about it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

That whole chat on 5 live is worth listening to, only about 15 minutes of Ken and it's a little similar to Monday's pod but Chris Sutton was a great foe to bring out the best of Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

al87987 wrote: »
    That whole chat on 5 live is worth listening to, only about 15 minutes of Ken and it's a little similar to Monday's pod but Chris Sutton was a great foe to bring out the best of Ken.

Is this in the podcast they put up last night? No mention of it in the description

Is this in the podcast they put up last night? No mention of it in the description

No, that’s an interminable discussion of aguero’s departure from city.

Go to bbc sounds on bbc.co.uk and their schedule from yesterday and the show with Mark Chapman’s face. It’s about 90 mins into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think it's gonna be difficult to get a good objective analysis of a manager from a player that's played under them. There's gonna be lots of bias there, either good or bad, that will frame their analysis.

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    I think it's gonna be difficult to get a good objective analysis of a manager from a player that's played under them. There's gonna be lots of bias there, either good or bad, that will frame their analysis.

It’s bias maybe but Sutton’s points are valid. Martin O’Neill’s results were good. Beating Germany, Italy, Austria, Wales and Bosnia. We hadn’t a single example of beating sides like that since 2001. That wasnt good enough to really earn any praise from Ken at the time.

Now Ken is saying getting beat by Luxembourg at home is just losing a game, no biggie. It’s an epic moving of the standard a manager should be judged by.

Advertisement