Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

kippy wrote: »
    Sure who wouldn't want to listen to a pod on the national sport on the national holiday?

About 99% of this thread by the sounds of it normally :D

I think it was about the approach to restrictions when NI opens back up before us judging by the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Couldn’t download it either, got an error on pocket casts. It’s a GAA one so I’d suspect most people won’t mind if it never reappears.

Same here, but does seem to stream okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Really enjoyed the LOI preview and the discussion about Bohs' marketing initiatives, more like that during the season would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭al87987

Haven't listened to it yet but judging by the time it was uploaded, looks like a Thursday recorded podcast for Friday which unfortunately means no Jose/Spurs talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Don't think they have done a Friday recorded pod for over a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

al87987 wrote: »
    Haven't listened to it yet but judging by the time it was uploaded, looks like a Thursday recorded podcast for Friday which unfortunately means no Jose/Spurs talk.

Deserves an emergency podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Deserves an emergency podcast

For losing a Europa league match???

The bar is a bit higher for emergency podcasts!

(I'm sure you were joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

No the fallout and talking points are great for this one. Mourinho, loris and joe hart. I mean its all just hilarious and Ken's take would be great to have whilst it fresh. The buzz will be gone by the time its talked about which may be Tuesday

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"Chekhov's a load of bollix".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Beersmith wrote: »
    No the fallout and talking points are great for this one. Mourinho, loris and joe hart. I mean its all just hilarious and Ken's take would be great to have whilst it fresh. The buzz will be gone by the time its talked about which may be Tuesday

The fact that they are doing everything on zoom, they should be able to do throw out a few micro podcasts to keep their coverage fresh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

It'd be a nice to have a politics podcast with Ken on the lockdowns. I know he's a sports writer but I'd genuinely be interested to see where he stands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Horgan complaining about stander moving back to the south Africa and maybe joining a franchise at home - what an idiot.

It's a career shane not a life sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Horgan complaining about stander moving back to the south Africa and maybe joining a franchise at home - what an idiot.

It's a career shane not a life sentence.

It's a load of crap though, the whole naturalization thing. It makes a mockery of playing for your country. Whatever about the granny time in football, those lads can claim some sort of association with the country.

Raoul wrote: »
    It's a load of crap though, the whole naturalization thing. It makes a mockery of playing for your country. Whatever about the granny time in football, those lads can claim some sort of association with the country.

But at least the likes of stander and Lowe etc have to commit 3 or now 5 years before they can play.

Better than trying to get Patrick bamford and the likes to commit.is more embarrassing. Hoping mark noble says yes. Jayus!!

I think we all see the granny rule in rose tinted glasses cause we got such a good soccer team out of it in early 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

But at least the likes of stander and Lowe etc have to commit 3 or now 5 years before they can play.

Better than trying to get Patrick bamford and the likes to commit.is more embarrassing. Hoping mark noble says yes. Jayus!!

I think we all see the granny rule in rose tinted glasses cause we got such a good soccer team out of it in early 1990s.

You don't think there's something not right about an Ireland player getting a big send off yesterday before he moves back home to South Africa?

Blud wrote: »
    You don't think there's something not right about an Ireland player getting a big send off yesterday before he moves back home to South Africa?

Oh no there is but least he has lived in the country for nearly 10 years.

Not like some of the football lads who spend 20 days a year in the country..

Oh no there is but least he has lived in the country for nearly 10 years.

Not like some of the football lads who spend 20 days a year in the country..

Hmmm.

Rugby supporters have loved slagging football for years over diving and over how Ireland have to get English lads to play football. Now the rugby rule re naturalisation means lads with way more tenuous links to Ireland play rugby for us than has ever been the case with football, you're left clutching at straws.

CJ has never been and never will be Irish. I'd accept a connection through an Irish granny far quicker than the connection he has. James Lowe is playing for Ireland because Leinster offered him a better contract than any other club. Give me an Irish granny any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hmmm.

Rugby supporters have loved slagging football for years over diving and over how Ireland have to get English lads to play football. Now the rugby rule re naturalisation means lads with way more tenuous links to Ireland play rugby for us than has ever been the case with football, you're left clutching at straws.

CJ has never been and never will be Irish. I'd accept a connection through an Irish granny far quicker than the connection he has. James Lowe is playing for Ireland because Leinster offered him a better contract than any other club. Give me an Irish granny any day.

Is it really that important?

Arguing over levels of nationalism is absolutely juvenile, especially in a professional sporting context where adults get paid vast sums to play a game.

If people were more fluid on their attitudes to where people were 'from' the world would be a better place.

Is it really that important?

Arguing over levels of nationalism is absolutely juvenile, especially in a professional sporting context.

If people were more fluid on their attitudes to where people were 'from' the world would be a better place.

You don't think nationality is an important part of who plays for the national team?

That's a novel take.

You don't think nationality is an important part of who plays for the national team?

That's a novel take.
    I don't think it's worth arguing over which professional sport do it better tbh....

• Advertisement

I don't think it's worth arguing over which professional sport do it better tbh....

Probably fair, but I think it's worth pointing out when one group has overly ridiculous rules, which I think rugby has.

If it were me, I'd link it to eligibility for citizenship across all sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Probably fair, but I think it's worth pointing out when one group has overly ridiculous rules, which I think rugby has.

Isn't that what naturalisation is?

CJ is an Irish citizen.

Actually maybe I'm confusing him with Bundee... Hmmm

I think you'd probably want to brush up on the rules before making that point tbh.

My apologies, I meant to say eligible for citizenship at birth. Effectively taking naturalisation out of it, as different countries have different naturalisation rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

I thought the posts this morning were for David O Doherty.
    He was on TV last night and did one of his lockdown tunes with his Dad.

https://twitter.com/phlaimeaux/status/1373559899746148353

I’d be an O’Doherty fan and would have regularly went to shows in the olden days, but that was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Not a fan of the residency rule in rugby but these things span across professional sports weather we like it or not, granny rule in soccer, englands cricket team, Canada's Lennox Lewis and Greg Rusedski both represented the union jack, in the last 20 years several long distance runners from 3rd world African countries switched allegiance to the likes of Turkey and Qatar.

I must say CJ Stander's commitment to Munster and Ireland can't be questioned, properly bought in and emptied the tank for both jerseys, I would never hold it against anyone wanting to return to their homeland, his wife and young daughter have spend the majority of the last year in SA too, when Ireland players have got released from the covid bubble to spend a couple of days with their immediate families he stayed in the hotel because he had no family here, personally doesn't bother me if he lines out for the Bulls or the Stormers or works on the family farm when he returns to SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For the rugby, instead of getting too caught up in nationalism, I think it's best to think of what that team really represents. It's an IRFU team - players who play in the IRFU are the ones to make up the international team, while players who play elsewhere aren't allowed (Zebo).

After all, the team doesn't represent any country. It represents the whole Island of Ireland, which obviously doesn't exist as a political entity.

More generally speaking, I hate the idea of cutting down on who can play for who in these overtly-nationalistic terms... like saying it should only be by birth. You can have someone move here as a baby, live his whole life here, play all his rugby here, and be denied the right to play for the country he would unequivocally call his home. I say once you're a citizen, you're a citizen, and have all the rights and privileges that go with that, including the opportunity to represent the nation in sports if selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I wouldn't compare rugby and soccer ways of getting "irish" players. Both sports have their rules and all countries in both sports will exploit the rule wherever they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The criticism of the FAI over the granny rule is particularly stupid, anyone with an Irish grandparent is entitled to citizenship, we don't have a second class of citizenship which entitles you to a passport but not to play football!

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement