Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Is there anything better than when you are in a meeting and someone who doesnt listen to second captains says something that is in an audio bed.

A partner goes to me today we are cooking on gas now!! And all I could think of that audio bed where ken or maybe murph says it.

“Coooouuukkkkinnnn on gassssss”. I’m fairly sure it’s Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

It was Ken talking about Ireland's first goal vs Serbia I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MercuryBoy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That link is from over 3 years ago, back in the ‘before-times’.

Here’s one with some of the cuts from just a few months ago.

https://www.the42.ie/fai-accounts-2019-5291885-Dec2020/

“Money ring fenced for Player Development was cut from €400,410 to €80,000.”

Yikes!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"You worked as a cheese"

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Was nice to have a politics or whatever type podcast from Ken, rare enough of late. Kiberd was decent/interesting enough too, not really telling us anything we don't already know I suppose either. I liked Ken's story of flying to London to meet the author of the (really good) Surveillance Capitalism book ,only for him to be quickly shunned cos she was going to dinner with the FT people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I really disliked that politics pod and I generally really like kens politics pods. No point in going on about it here too much as I think it will derail the thread.

What I will say about second captains is that the lads seem to be very obsessed with twitter, I'm a bit younger than all of them and don't have any social media although use my phone a lot. Most of my work colleagues or friends don't seem very into twitter either, some are using Instagram.

My point is I think the SCs are a bit lost in that world and seem to think everyone else is too. I'm very grateful for Eoin asking the dumb and obvious questions to ken and Murph when they proclaim that some event of the weekend was all over twitter and everyone has seen it or watched it a million times when I have no idea what they are talking about.

When I talk about interesting sports stories or things that SCs have brought up with colleagues/friends they usually have no idea what I'm talking about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Beersmith wrote: »
    I really disliked that politics pod and I generally really like kens politics pods. No point in going on about it here too much as I think it will derail the thread.

What I will say about second captains is that the lads seem to be very obsessed with twitter, I'm a bit younger than all of them and don't have any social media although use my phone a lot. Most of my work colleagues or friends don't seem very into twitter either, some are using Instagram.

My point is I think the SCs are a bit lost in that world and seem to think everyone else is too. I'm very grateful for Eoin asking the dumb and obvious questions to ken and Murph when they proclaim that some event of the weekend was all over twitter and everyone has seen it or watched it a million times when I have no idea what they are talking about.

When I talk about interesting sports stories or things that SCs have brought up with colleagues/friends they usually have no idea what I'm talking about either.

I agree, and really struggled with Twitter references in the media about 10 years ago. All of the media constantly feed off it. You basically can't work in the media without actively following the relevant people in your sphere.

It's got plusses and minuses. Old media, before things like Twitter, was a pile of crock. Journalists were constantly working with partial information and knew less than their readers. It used to drive me crazy. You still see it every now and then. Eamon dunphy does it the odd time when he covers a topic that's new to him. Asking really basic questions that were relevant to me 15 years ago. But he is in his 70s so leave him at it.

I like that the lads are on twitter so I don't have to be. They can trawl through the ****e to find the nuggets each day. The without would be far worse and more akin to a tabloid style journalist. Nobody can have a "take" on everything everyday. It would be horrendous. Some days they have a take, some days they just say what others are saying and discuss the various angles on a topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I do love any time there's a 'Keys to the Kingdom' segment. I've never actually gone to the trouble of reading it, but it always seems to confirm what a tool he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Didn't think it was a great pod either, nothing new or interesting in the chat.

Re the twitter point, heard a good stat on a media show discussion last year on its influence - in the UK/US circa 20% of the population is on twitter and 10% of those post 80% of the tweets. Therefore roughly 2% of the population are regular posters and this cohort are having a hugely disproportionate influence on what's being reported in the media/societal discussions etc.

For sure. I can see how people can get wrapped up in it and actually think this is what the general population thinks etc.

The only time i have heard about what happens on twitter is though the second captains and people talking about trumps tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

You see a lot of websites creating articles along the lines of "Ireland fans fuming about XXX" and the whole article is just based on a handful of tweets from people with very few followers, as if they are a good representation of the wider population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 riewomann

one person reading aloud tweets

Been like this for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭cmac2009

RedRochey wrote: »
    You see a lot of websites creating articles along the lines of "Ireland fans fuming about XXX" and the whole article is just based on a handful of tweets from people with very few followers, as if they are a good representation of the wider population

In the discussion I mentioned above they specifically mentioned that this is a tactic used on a regular basis - they go looking for the most outraged tweets. Mainly used by tabloids when pushing their narratives, Daily Mail was referenced unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I hope it’s BIG SAM week next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I hope it’s BIG SAM week next week.

You mean Sam Allardici week surely? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bamayang

den87 wrote: »
    “Coooouuukkkkinnnn on gassssss”. I’m fairly sure it’s Ken.

I’ve repeated it to myself once a day everyday for the last week. It’s too funny the way Ken says it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

cmac2009 wrote: »
    In the discussion I mentioned above they specifically mentioned that this is a tactic used on a regular basis - they go looking for the most outraged tweets. Mainly used by tabloids when pushing their narratives, Daily Mail was referenced unsurprisingly.

Same crap on Youtube - Arsenal Fan TV etc. Outrage gets clicks and likes.

"You are the biggest fool in Manchester" whatever happened to him? :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Dante

If I hear the phrase 'string to his bow' one more time in the rugby segment I'm cancelling my sub...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,366 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Didn't think it was a great pod either, nothing new or interesting in the chat.

Re the twitter point, heard a good stat on a media show discussion last year on its influence - in the UK/US circa 20% of the population is on twitter and 10% of those post 80% of the tweets. Therefore roughly 2% of the population are regular posters and this cohort are having a hugely disproportionate influence on what's being reported in the media/societal discussions etc.

Wasn't the best pod ever, but thought it was an interesting enough chat to listen in on.

The most interesting part was probably just Ken though - in the preamble bit with Murph when he was struggling with what the pod actually is, and his name being in the title. And then in the main chat with he fell into a bit of an existential hole of seeing himself as a caricature and wondering whats the point of it all. Feels like Ken's going through a wee bit of a midlife crisis or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Maybe it's been brought up before but why did the tv program not get renewed- I live in the uk and cant say I ever seen a full episode.

Was it after they went to a 5 day podcast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Maybe it's been brought up before but why did the tv program not get renewed- I live in the uk and cant say I ever seen a full episode.

Was it after they went to a 5 day podcast

No idea, but I assumed it just wasn't a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Murph automatically putting the word "toxic" before "masculinity" today talking about McIlroy trying to catch up with Bryson's speed.

Nokotan wrote: »
    Murph automatically putting the word "toxic" before "masculinity" today talking about McIlroy trying to catch up with Bryson's speed.

Was it not appropriate ?

Was it not appropriate ?

No, I don't think so. I don't see how it's "toxic" to try improve your game to keep up with a competitor. It might have been a bad idea and detrimental to his game but I'm sure a lot of athletes regardless of gender have tried similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,366 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nokotan wrote: »
    No, I don't think so. I don't see how it's "toxic" to try improve your game to keep up with a competitor. It might have been a bad idea and detrimental to his game but I'm sure a lot of athletes regardless of gender have tried similar.

In context I think it was used correctly to be honest.

The point he was making was that it was perhaps a failing in him to try to reach parity or one-up on this purely physical aspect of the game, despite it actually not helping him at all in practical terms. That it was self-destructive masculine bravado done as a base emotional response rather than genuine self-improvement.

No coverage of BIG SAMs master class today.... they really aren’t covering the premier league this year.

No coverage of BIG SAMs master class today.... they really aren’t covering the premier league this year.

Huh?! They covered it yesterday!

Huh?! They covered it yesterday!

I withdraw my comment !

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In context I think it was used correctly to be honest.

The point he was making was that it was perhaps a failing in him to try to reach parity or one-up on this purely physical aspect of the game, despite it actually not helping him at all in practical terms. That it was self-destructive masculine bravado done as a base emotional response rather than genuine self-improvement.

I guess we just have different ideas of what toxic masculinity entails. Anyway, I suppose it was off topic anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Just saw a story about Leon Reid - the Irish sprinter who was on the show last year talking about his escape from a crack den where his mother lived to become an athlete and switching to represent Ireland. He's been arrested on drugs charges regarding crack cocaine. Pretty sad stuff.

https://www.the42.ie/leon-reid-3-5403114-Apr2021/

Advertisement