Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Problem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

All I have emailed in writing is to my manager and have asked him to forward to management.

I didnt blame anyone in it. I just explained my issue and that I am still waiting for a decision from management.

I also explained in the case they cant accomodate my request, just let me know. I dont expect them too but would appreciate it considering my record at work for last 5 years. I have asked for 3 months break from that role which is about 7-8 shifts overall that too if required. I have told them I wont expect them to accomodate this any further.

In the case they cant, I will try and do the work when rostered but if its impacting my health even further I will have to give importance to my health.

You *need* to involve HR and not just rely on your manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

krissovo wrote: »
    I do not work in a call center and its 10 years since I did so not sure where this came from.

You literally posted this yesterday:
    krissovo wrote: »
    The so called Multinational “call center” I work in

WTF man... :confused:

Let's not derail this topic any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    You literally posted this yesterday:

WTF man... :confused:

Let's not derail this topic any further.

The phrase ‘so called’ and quotation marks used to denote sarcasm at another poster erroneously stating he worked in a call centre. You brought up another unrelated thread in an attempt to discredit this poster, you are derailing this thread and you insist on trying to have the last word.

MrsBean wrote: »
    The phrase ‘so called’ and quotation marks used to denote sarcasm at another poster erroneously stating he worked in a call centre. You brought up another unrelated thread in an attempt to discredit this poster, you are derailing this thread and you insist on trying to have the last word.

Look at his post history. He admits repeatedly he's not a CTO.

Just last month he admitted he's in a non-technical role.
    I am in in IT (non technical)

The month before that he says he has worked from home for 9 years:
    I have been based at home for nearly 9 years now

CTO is a technical role and cannot be done from home.

He's just making things up. Don't defend that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In the case they cant, I will try and do the work when rostered but if its impacting my health even further I will have to give importance to my health.

Do you have any documented HR policies in the company you need to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 antillia2020

beauf wrote: »
    Do you have any documented HR policies in the company you need to follow.

We do but I need to get a copy from manager.

He has decided to ignore me. He promised me a meeting with management early this week that didnt happen. I asked him to confirm my notice perioid a week ago that has also not happened.

I asked him for management response on my issue month back and still nothing from him.

I asked him to check something else one month back I never heard about it from him since.

I emailed him yesteday with a written request and asked him to send it to management. I am sure he has not.

I asked him.on updates on above also and he hasnt responded again despite being in.

Sounds hes deliberately blocking so you can't progress it.
    Hes not leaving you any choice except to escalate it and go to HR directly.

We have internal portal that has policies but is broken and never works. So cant access those either.

Right so I sent him a formal email to pass to management which contained explanation of my request and as him to escalate asap as I have not had reply to verbal request.

He was not responding therefore I sent him an email asking for copy of grievance policy.

Got a reply straight away saying will look into my other queries . He has not passed my written request to management despite me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,599 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Look at his post history. He admits repeatedly he's not a CTO.

Just last month he admitted he's in a non-technical role.

The month before that he says he has worked from home for 9 years:

CTO is a technical role and cannot be done from home.

He's just making things up. Don't defend that.

CTO can absolutely be done from home.
    A few of our VPs are 100% wfh and were before covid

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    CTO can absolutely be done from home.
    A few of our VPs are 100% wfh and were before covid

Google him. He uses the same username on every website. You'll find out everything about him including his job title (not CTO).

If you don't want to google him, just look at his boards history. Within the past few months he has stated his role and it's not CTO.

Creepy, I know, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This is my last comment on this matter. If you want to keep believing he's CTO, go for it.

The only relevant bit and I hope is true is this...
    ....This is my last comment on this matter. .....

There is one bit that's interesting though...

Is this lad still blowing himself off and and promising not to go into it again? How many times is it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

It's time to escalate to H.R.

I mean you have stated your case clearly. Have you even been compensated for this higher level work you've been asked to do, have they made an addendum to your contract? Can you argue that this additional role makes your core work suffer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

He was not responding therefore I sent him an email asking for copy of grievance policy.

A company should always make it's grievance policy readily available. I believe it is a legal requirement. Your manager sounds like a cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Sorry OP, but my advice to you is to start looking for a new job or at least to switch departments again so you don't work under this person.

I've worked under a lot of crappy, egomaniacal middle managers and my experience is once they start making moves like this things don't get better. It's a matter of pride and workplace reputation for him now to prove he's right and you're wrong.

It won't end well for you, and after five years of solid performance now might be a good time to move on if you feel you could easily secure a new job in your field. Don't hand in your notice until you get something else, but start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Got a reply straight away saying will look into my other queries . He has not passed my written request to management despite me asking.

OP - Why haven’t you reached out to management yourself?

You can email him and CC them in. Or email them and CC him in.

As has been said previously on this thread. You should stop depending on him to escalate it. He won’t. So the only way you will achieve your outcome here is to contact them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I would write again to your manager referencing your previous correspondence. Bcc the HR and senior management team. Get receive and read receipts.

Given him one last chance to get back to me in writing before I go to senior management.

Had another meeting with him. He said its informal process. He wants me to sign onto an behaviour/performance improvement program on basis of me making a request on heath and safety basis. He cannot justify that. I even provided a doctors note for sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Given him one last chance to get back to me in writing before I go to senior management.

Had another meeting with him. He said its informal process. He wants me to sign onto an behaviour/performance improvement program on basis of me making a request on heath and safety basis. He cannot justify that. I even provided a doctors note for sale.

A PIP is not informal and will always be on your record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Can you not just go directly to HR?

You need to test the waters and see what reception you get from someone other than your manager on this. HR should be an honest broker so it will be important to gauge their reaction. You could state you are just looking for advice and suggestions to resolve?

Looks like he's going to contain your issue into a process that keeps you isolated from talking to anyone else "officially". Based on the behaviour thus far, you could be painted into performance targets you can't reasonably achieve. PIPs can be used to help you, or used to get rid of you.

Given him one last chance to get back to me in writing before I go to senior management. ....

I think you've left it too late, he's likely gone to HR already.

beauf wrote: »
    I think you've left it too late, he's likely gone to HR already.

He has nothing to go to them with against me. Whilst I do...

He has absolutely nothing that he can prove.

All the stuff he has written in the document is regarding the request I made which I provided doctors note for. All I asked was if it can be accomodated. So dont see what he can prove against me. If raising a health and safety issue is the problem here then I am sure HR will agree that he is wrong. I have never actually refused to do the work and have said will do it in future if my request cant be accomodated.

Problem is regardless of outcome, you'll be left most likely with a toxic relationship.

Time to consider other options - can you move to another company etc.

If that's feasible , you may be able to work a deal to allow you go with reputation intact and time to find another job etc.

Your health is most important thing here, so put that first.

bullpost wrote: »
    Can you not just go directly to HR?

You need to test the waters and see what reception you get from someone other than your manager on this. HR should be an honest broker so it will be important to gauge their reaction. You could state you are just looking for advice and suggestions to resolve?

I could but that would be formal grievance. The manager in question is at very low level. He has not escalalted my request to mid level management despite me asking in writing.

Their is senior management also after them and then HR are above those.

I don't think you are following your own narrative here. He's going to set the tone, even if it's economical with the truth.
    ...He prepared a document saying I refused to do the additional role but did not mention the reason why I was asking for it. He also decided to make up a few things as well ....

This is all false .....My manager clearly provided false info to management and added stuff to it that was never even mentioned by me. ....

I could but that would be formal grievance. The manager in question is at very low level. He has not escalalted my request to mid level management despite me asking in writing.

Their is senior management also after them and then HR are above those.

I'm not sure it would be, you are just looking for advice. But the processes at your company may be different so you know best.

A PIP is not informal and will always be on your record.

He told me it is informal.

I dont have any perfomance issues and perform better than 90% of the other staff. Thats staff of over 200.

I consistently hit targets every month till date and have been awarded by senior management for them very recently.
    So not sure how he can justify puttinh me on PIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

I think perhaps the point is that after him having failed to escalate your request above him several times you should have done that yourself.

Even if it is false allegations the fact that he "got there first" with any mention of it may work in his favour. Hopefully not, but I'm just trying to help you see why people have suggested going above him instead of waiting fruitlessly for a reply from him when it's clear he is the issue. If your relationship with him isn't great then he is likely going to (or already has) paint you in a bad light to those above him/HR.

Advertisement