Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1967 VW Variant.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When I got my first job in Dublin city centre in 1994, there was a young lady who parked nearby who drove a Karmann Ghia every day, white, I wonder what happened to the car... there was also a nice BRG MGB GT often parked near Connolly Station. I nearly got arrested one day when I was having a good gawp, somebody thought that wearing a leather jacket meant I was up to no good!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭jmreire

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Yep exactly like that one, but far,far rustier. I hhad a quick look at the outside, as she has the keys in Dublin that she will be bringing down over the christmas. Its bad, and I never got into the engine bay nor front boot. Realistically for me I have enough with the squareback and kombi, so not really interested in another big project.

I did a quick tot up of the bigger parts, and it could go beyond 8k euro before any cutting is done. And there is a fully restored one in Antrim , jump in turn the key and drive away for 17k euro. Nuff said its a no brainer.

Happy new year folks. I am going a bit off topic on this post. Its the 75th Emmy Awards this weekend, and we have the first Irish nominee for leading prosthetics make up artist for his work on the now famous television series " The Last Of Us "

Its off topic, but he is my son, and it makes me proud to say that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That's amazing, taking after you in a particular style of fabrication you might say. Nothing like a proud Dad 😉

• Advertisement

Nothing like a proud dad for sure to both of my sons and my daughter in law too.😍😎

I believe its on live at 1 am sunday morning at 1 am. Champers is already chilling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

VW is on the back burner for the moment. I have 2 family cars to get ready for the NCT. Doblo and a Clio. Needless to say any parts needed have to be sourced from Europe as the costs in Ireland from suppliers run to double the cost and more. So fek that for a game of dominoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Belated congratulations to your son. He obviously inherited the creative gene. Delighted you mentioned being proud of all the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I read in one of the articles he likes to practice the prosthetic makeup on his wife!!! 😁

Life ain't always empty.

Very proud of both of them, they have done meself and the missus more than we had hoped for. Johnny's recent achievements with the Emmy has put him in a small talented group of people worlwide. And my other son is also at the top of his profession in financial circles on a global scale.

What more does a parent want or hope for. We made sure they had a good college education which is a must, and they embraced it whole heartedly.

Maybe its about time for me too shine too🤣🤣

Looks like i wont be at the vw for a couple of weeks. Took the Doblo in for the test yesterday. Failed on a rust small hole on both rear corners on the inner sills. I am not too sure as to the extent until I get it on the lift, which I cant do as the variant has taken up residence there for the past couple of years.

Option 1. is outside on axle stands up in the air. Not the most comfortable welding laying down, and I am way too old for that shite anymore.

Option 2. empty the pit of all my vw stash and do it inside standing up with plenty of lite, and a bit of heat.

Option 3 kiss it goodbye as its now 18 years old and we got good service from it.

I suppose you sussed it already....................................gonna go option 2. and repair it if remotely possible. And i also have my own car due its NCT this day week. Looks like a busy time ahead.😁

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You know what they say, @kadman - "Idle hands are the devil's workshop". 😁

You know what else they say.

Just when you thought you could see light at the end of the tunnel, you suddenly realize its some fekker with a flashlight bringing you more work🤣

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Given the options that you have outlined, I'd first of all jack it up on one side, let it rest on axle stands, and check just what the sill is like before making any further decisions on it. .....small holes in sill panels can turn out to need complete new / rebuilt 😋

I will be bringing into my shed where I have a large pit for good access from below. It gives me a good chance with loads of lights to fully inspect whats the options ahead of me. I know only too well about what rust looks like after a bit of digging. A coin sized hole can soon turn into a major panel repair. The only thing that will affect whether I repair or not is accessibility. If I can get to it without major dismantling, then I will repair it.

If its a major stripdown, then its off to the scrappy with its good engine.. I am getting too long in the toothe to add another resto to the herd. Culling it wont be a problem. I will post up a few pics for the chat

Out of the 18 years of service, how long have you had it for? And in that time, how did you find it? or in other words, would be happy to buy one again?

• Advertisement

I would buy another one in a heart beat. We have had it for about 10+ years. One of the best vehicles we ever had in the family. Great engine, even tho it broke a timing chain at about 100K. I fixed that while laying underneath it with a broken shoulder, new chain and 3 new cam followers and four new valves. Now its at 300k. Miser on the fuel and a good workhorse and the engine is easy worked on. Trickiest repair job which I didnt do was the heater blower switch which is a common repair on these. Parts are readily available from auto-doc and are cheap. So its 200k since the repair and all good so far. They have a particular liking for the proper grade oil and will carry on grand. Wrong oil is normally the problem with insufficient oiling of the chain, and thats primarily the cause for them breaking.

Treat it right and it will treat you right.

I am just going out now to survey the repair requirements on the inner sill, and get a few pics.Hopefully I can get it sorted, but no inner sill parts available, only external.

It is a great wagon.

I managed to inspect the rust damage and was very surprised to see its a minimal repair thankfully.

So both sills are damaged in an identical area so presumably this is where its common area to fail. I took a couple of pictures and once I get them cut and cleaned up for the repair, it shouldn't take long to weld in. But like many things on car bodywork the prepwork is often longer than the actual welding. The sill edge has surface rust which I am going to wirebrush and clean up just to make sure there is no rust there.

Two holes here over a 6" length so planning on a 6" x1 1/2" strip. This is the drivers side, and the passenger is identical.

Yes, not so bad at all...well worth a good clean and weld in a few pieces. I'd say that as it's in identical places, the chances are that there were drain holes in these locations, and over time they got blocked. Be good to see just how far you can drive it.

As i always disconnect the battery, and alternator when I am welding on any car, I checked out the net just to see what common practice is now. It seems i may have been wrong to disconnect all these items when welding, and that the battery actually acts as a buffer for mig welding cuurrents, and its best to leave them connected.

Everyday is a school day.😉

Plan B is now initiated.

Had a better opportunity to closely examine both corners at the rear. I decided I would only be rushing it to make the re test deadline. So have decided in the interests of safety and a better job, to remove the fuel tank and do it with inner and exterior replacement panels instead of patches. So no rush on this now. I will use it for the remaining 3 weeks, and then park it up until the weather gets god enough to do some work outside.

A lot of the stuff I worked on would have had the battery removed + the engine, gearbox and suspensions, so it didn't matter, but for other MIG welding, the battery was left connected, and no bother. I even MIG welded full diesel tanks, and it worked. But it's not something you would want to try above the fuel level..... LOL🙂

I think that's a very good idea, especially if only the skills need attention. You do not see too many of them, especially at that age around, so soon they will start to become a collector's item.😎

I have the Clio up for the nct this week. I am confident that it should go through ok. And then back to the variant all going well. I just have to remember to SORN the Doblo at the end of the month, and then its into hibernation for a while.

Post edited by kadman on

Off to the NCT again for the second time in a week, for my Clio. I decided to hold off on the Doblo repair as I wont make the re test date with it, so its Clio's chance today. I expect it to pass ok if they dont come up with some "visual" that I have missed. Anyway 6.25 is the time.

• Advertisement

Good Luck!! The wifes 152 Superb was in last Sunday @ 19:000 hrs, failed on P/S rear shock (nearly always PS suspension failures...pot holed country roads.) but for 140'000 Kls from new, thats not bad. I got two new shocks and put them in yesterday, and back for re-rest now on Friday @ 17:00 hrs.

Advertisement