Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1967 VW Variant.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Uh-oh... you didn't actually say "What could possibly go wrong?", did you? Don't you know what happens in films when someone says that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I always tackle the mechanicals first as I know i have a driving roadworthy vehicle. No use in having a trailer queen that performs badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thats a good point all right. And you read very often about barn finds that were last driven (or most likely pushed) into the barn 20,30,40 years previous. But at least with VW mechanicals, you are pretty safe.

Back on the resto trail. Unfortunately my workshop has been taken over by a squatter, who believes he can scatter his assortment of special effects tools all over my area for a short term letting. he is packing them for his next global trotting enterprise...back to film work in Canada.

Which means my work environment has been reduced ten fold for a short term. So as i can only work in a small area, I chose to start cleaning up the metal tinware that I have managed to collect over the last 9 months. This involves cleaning the muck off them, and wire brushing the paint and rust on the big lathe. Its going to take a few days as there are approximately 30+ pieces.

The metal is tinware for the cooling on a 1978 VW Kombi with a 2 litre Type 4 914 engine. Basically a porsche engine.

• Advertisement

Considering the angles and bends and awkward corners, they cleaned up very well, didn't they?

Yes, the ducting. And it performs a very important task. Was a very ingenious system. Great design.

Surprisingly enough yes they did. I used a 150mm wire brush on a 3 jaw chuck in my woodturning lathe. I have some smaller brushes too that will get into the small parts I cant reach. I would have been happy to have a cabinet sandblasting unit, but I dont have one. I tried to buy an advertised new unit on donedeal, but they wont actually have one until next year. I considered the large pot type portable unit, but I dont want sand all over creation

Yes the sand does a great job, but by its very nature, if it gets into places where it should not be, it can wreak havoc.

One more done, and many more to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Saw a trike on TV the other day (US programme). Front and engine from a Honda Goldwing (1000cc 4-cyl boxer). Back was from a cut-up VW 'squareback'.

The trike was crap, but the VW body looked to be in great nick.

Not your ornery onager

Off tomorrow to work on a lads beetle to get him back on the road.

Dont tell Jim....sssshhh...

I have been slaving away on this chaps beetle with himself getting involved too. Progress is good. New soft lines and shoes as well as new wheel cylinders all fitted. And after numerous issues with the lack of brake after bleeding, I discovered a knackered internal bore and seals in the master cylinder.

So new part has been ordered for next week hopefully. So in the meantime little progress on the squareback, but thats about to change tomorrow. In the meantime due to the lack of any up to fate variant pics, here is a pic of the historical vw vehicle banner I received from Paruzzi.com, a great source for rare type 3 parts that I use

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Didn't think you'd be one for the go-faster stripes and bass bins 😁

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

My God..... complete with the sporty wheels, the sunshade, the chrome "eyelashes" on the headlights (these were available for the Beetles too) the Spots,the bonnet and side panel stripes, and the boombox speakers under the rear window!!!

Not to mention ac/dc disc in the player, he,he.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I thought you would go for a period correct cassette? Not the newfangled CD player :)

Anyway, is the album a Bon or Brian one :)

I spent 3 years and loads of money trying to source a working 8 track player for the fasty. Period correct and I can get to listen to CCR non stop. But it wasn't going to happen. I gave up when I bought my 3rd non working player, despite getting all the usual promises that they are working perfectly, and my eagerness to get a working one, won over my common sense. After the 3 rd one I said no more.

I have contacted many sellers who have one, but wont let me see it running, so its a paper weight to me. So my CCR will have to wait a while longer before it gets any airtime.

I have to put on my central heating hat today because I need to replace a coil operated contactor relay that switches on and off the pump. The constant on/off clicking has finally given up the ghost. Along with me bypassing the relay yesterday and going past the working pressure of the system and blowing off a domestic push fit waterline, and flooding the kitchen twice. And i am way too old, fat, and stiff to be laying down on the floor under a sink and reaching upwards with 2 damaged shoulders into inaccessible areas to swing spanners.

Give me a rusty old vw any day.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Excellent :) But that new Brian guy shows promise, and is a petrol head too.

Nevermind CCR, you need  ELP's Fanfare For The Common Man for when the variant is finished!

Sent you a PM re the 8 tracks.

How's the brakes coming on???

Just got word this morning the owner has received new master cylinder, clutch release bearing, low pressure reservoir feed hose's. So back to the brakes tuesday morning. I am off this morning to look at a VW Karmann convertible that is in a sorry state of repair. I will be taking a few pics and video to consider getting it or move it on to someone in the club. But it will be a resto that requires the same skilset that was on my 2 VW's.

So it will be interesting to see.

Karmann Convertible? That would be a pretty rare bird indeed!! And if you are fitting a clutch release bearing, just go the whole hog, and fit the pressure plate and disc too. ? Waiting to see the pics of the Karmann.

New clutch is already fitted onto the engine by the guy that fitted new seals to the engine. Karmann conertible is a left hooker from California. Brought to Ireland many years ago, had a few owners, and the current owner has it lying idle for the past 10+ years outside which is a pity. From a distance it has suffered from the elements, and probably wont be a financially viable restoration due to cost of replacement parts and labour if getting someone to do it.

I would only take it with a view of seeing it restored by someone, but thats gonna be hard to find a volunteer for it. He would need to have all the skills that were used on the vw's I have. And i dont know anybody as crazy as me for hardship . As for parts, its probably got a seized engine, but its 1600 so is worth something. I will keep you posted

But what a car it was!!! A real head turner, even now.

Ferdinand Porche written all over it.🙂

And in Black!!! (but with funny bumpers)

Well, just got back. But couldn,t get into the car or front boot or engine bay, so a bit of a waste to be honest. Body is rough and will require far more tlc than its value as a good vw could be brought in from Sweden for a lot less money.

But the engine interests me.

• Advertisement

Hey Jim , its not that type Karmann, Ghia. Its the Karmann convertible beetle

Advertisement