Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1967 VW Variant.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Body and floorpan and chassis are seperate. Body lifts off from all the other components, yes you could drive away the chassis and floorpan..

[img]https://i.imgur.com/XlYcdA9.jpg[/img]

Here you can see the setup of my white fastback

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

deleted, thought the picture was this fastback and was amazed how far you had got with the bodywork

Post edited by thereitisgone on

The picture i just posted is the white type 3 fastback that I have already restored and drive today. The blue variant is the type 3 estate version of the fastback, and the chassis floorpan body arrangement is identical on both cars. The body unbolts from the floorpan by removing the perimeter bolts and a few others.

The floorpan/chassis tunnel has the front beam and suspension bolted to the front end of the chassis. And the gearbox and rear suspension bolts to the rear end of the floor pan and chassis. The main spine tunnel of the chassis runs from the front beam end to the rear floorpan end. And thats the makeup. The engine bolts onto the rear end of the gearbox.

Here you can see the rear axle suspension unit, and gearbox, you can also see just behind the suspension damper, the shock absorber.

Second picture shows the front steering beam and suspension unit, as well as the steering box. You can also see the beam mounting brackets, one left and one right. Each one has 2 bolts to attache it to the chassis front position.

The steering control arms are mounted onto the end of the beam which houses the suspension torsion rods.

Here is a clearer pic of the rear independent suspension unit as it is attached to the car chassis. But the hubs and gearbox, universal drive shafts, are yet to be fitted, but can be seen on the right of the picture primed iron oxide red.

This floorpan is from the white fastback, but is an identical one to fit on a the blue variant. And the beetle is not the same as this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭jmreire

Pretty neat jig set-up you have there Kadman. From the pics, it seems that you separate the body from the chassis by means of straps / cables suspended from the roof? Roll out the chassis, roll in the jig? Works pretty well BTW. And you could use that jig as a datum line too, if you wanted. Once its bolted to the identical locations that the chassis / axle is bolted to, it will be 100% accurate. ( and assuming that its not an accident repair.) For Restoration work, it's fine.

The main problem I had with checking datum points on the white fastback was......................the lack of them, they just weren't there. Virtually all the bottom 12" of this car had undergone UK mot repairs. Which meant a patch on a patch on a patch, and so on and so on. The rigght hand sill alone had 7 layers along its full length of the sill. So when it was ripped off, there was nothing and all the original lines gone,

Same at the front edge of the body that sits on the napoleans hat area, and the back edge along under the seat.. And the entire floor pan edge to refer to for some indication of lines, was also gone. All rusted out. So more or less this car was repaired on the fly with referrals to pics on the pc, and images into cad programmes to measure points of reference. Overalll it worked well and i ended up with a solid body with all rusted metal cut out. But there were "WTF" moments too on the way.😁

Out of curiosity i tried to find a new rear quarter wing that you are working on now

Wow you were right, as rare as hens teeth, found one in America not even sure if its correct but 500 dollars plus postage and needed a little attention even still

Not to forget parts coming in from the US attract mega amounts of duties from an post. And your wing would be in some state after being fekked around couriers possession all the way fro the US.

Exactly and it wasnt the prettiest to start with, surprised its to rare, always thought the VW old stuff was more available

• Advertisement

Beetle, baywindow, splittie parts are readily available, new old stock or new. So no problem in working on one of them. Type 3 variants, fastbacks,and notchbacks are an entirely different species. There are one or two small repair panels for small wing and headlamp repairs, as well as back wheel arch repairs. As for anything else, happy hunting.

Not rushing you are anything like that Kadman, but I hope that all is well with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jayz.. give the lad the chance to draw breath!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I'd say you were a slave driver in your day Jim😁

Just have to keep the cook at home happy. So I am recycling a set of wrought Iron gates to fit my own, due to wood gates passed their sell by date.

And then on the 18th just gone I went down to Charleville to celebrate my 68th birthday with all my relatives from Liscarroll and visit the old walls castle park to reminisce on my spending some time growing up there.

Hey Jim I will be back to work on Monday, and while we are at it I think I am long overdue for a rise, considering someone is trying to sell me a VW convertible for a resto🤣

Re salary increase Kadman. Could not agree more with you, and for sure I'll support you. AdMin is down the corridor, second door on the left ( make sure that you knock...they are notoriously jumpy people) Let me know how you get on, OK? I feel that I'm due an increase as well....😏

As you are the "official certified , documented VW expert" I think a recommendation from you to get a massive increase in denaries for me would carry a lot of weight in negotiating more muns🤣🤣

Consider it done !!! I've sent a memo to Administration, with glowing references to your workmanship and attention to detail!!! Let me know how you get on, OK?

PS, you owe me a beer....belay that. You owe me several beers, and a brandy chaser or two......😁😁😂

Hey Jim, you are starting to sound like a ganger from a building site in the Uk from the 50's and 60's. Meet me in the pub for your wages, and then fill me full of drink for the night. Thats where me rise has gone. fek off, there is plenty of work elsewhere😂😂😂

I've lived and worked in many Country's over the years, and believe me, the "Ganger" practice is alive and well. And in some very so called "respected" organizations too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'll double whatever you're currently paying yourself for the restoration. So, I think you owe me a few thousand. You're welcome. 😁

• Advertisement

I spent most of the week clearing out my workshop to get more room. In the process I had to lift and manouvre a woodworking planer past 3 walls and around a 4 ton scissor lift. Major problem because the planer weighs in at over a ton.

Its off to the scrappie unless I find someone to take it for a scrap value price. Its footprint is 8' x 2'6"

Mechanically its perfect, but needs a motor and new switchgear.

How are things going with you Kadman? ( and no, I'm not looking at either the job or clock card's..) Hope that all is well with you?.

Jim.

All good Jim, thanks for asking. Away from the workshop and type 3's, but off in another workshop giving tuition and help to another vw beetle owner who is feeling his way along on brakes and steering maintenance. he asked on a forum for help, so I offered. Also went off to kerry to collect engine tinware for my south african camper during the week.

And then back to the workshop today on a final cleanup to work on my square back wing repair again. I had to move a pallet load of thermoplastic material Deusith. And now trying to find a home or use for it.........as that too is in the way..

You are up to date now, so I will be back on the clock tomorrow all going well.

Good, you needed a break anyway. The last few weeks were really "contrary" as far as the job was concerned. All awkward bits, lots of hours spent fabricating, and some days very little to show for it. Give my Best Regards to your Friend the Beetle owner. I was similarly employed over the weekend myself. I got a call from a friend of mine, who has an ever increasing collection of fine old cars, and the latest addition is an 1990 Nissan 300zx twin turbo Z32 model, 3.0 V6 engine. All things considered, its in pretty good nick, and mechanically, good also. But there's a couple of paint issues that he needs a hand with, So we will see how that goes.

1990 Nissan 300zx twin turbo Z32 model, 3.0 V6 engine

Chape tax?? 😁

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I'm not sure...its 33 years old, so I'd assume so. but I'm not sure, will have a look at what's on the windscreen when I'm back there. I think that there was some changes in the rules re. vintage classification recently.???

Ah JM I'm just rattlin' your camchain as it were 😁 I hope you're keeping a good eye on your man's tae consumption. An increase might signify a difficult job on hands which requires great contemplation, or perhaps just slacking off...?

At this stage in the game, there's more than the cam chain rattling...... a couple of the shock absorbers are behaving unnaturally as well, ...😂

As for Kadman, the Tae wouldn't bother me at all ( I'm a coffee man myself...by the mug, large economy size, full strong Serbian stuff, not for amateurs 😊) For sure there has been parts of the job that would have been multi-cups of Tae. More that might be considered healthy it was coffee !!! And he's not out of the woods yet, so the occasional break is fine. ( emphasis on occasional........😊😊😊

Go on you pair of ner do wells.............and put the kettle on😁. There is nothing left on the squareback thats going to phase me now. I have gone all the way along the front and down the drivers side. Whats left is just a repetition of what I have already done.

And i have already rebuilt the engine and brakes. At this stage I laugh in the face of danger🤣🤣

• Advertisement

Just as well... the opposite does not bear thinking about. Was a good idea to tackle the mechanicals first, now you have the incentive to finish it. Had it been the other way round...........

Advertisement