Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid Holiday supplement only available to those who pay tax and USC

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

smurgen wrote: »
    Doubtful. If excludes alcoholic drinks.if I hand up a receipt for a restaurant they'll have to scan and deduct for wine etc. It's a time consuming calculation. A one off voucher would have been alot faster with a greater uptake.

It does not exclude alcoholic drinks, the question will be, if non Failte Ireland registered premises are excluded, pretty much 80% of bars, restaurants

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,261 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It does not exclude alcoholic drinks, the question will be, if non Failte Ireland registered premises are excluded, pretty much 80% of bars, restaurants

Where are you reading that?
    Every news report I've read about the scheme says that it only extends to non-alcoholic beverages.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FaIIcon

Typically I see holidays as being a break from work. Going by that if you're unemployed you're always on holiday.

This is the best post I have ever seen.

I am glad it is a tax rebate. No offence, but there are plenty of people abusing the unemployment payment system and I don't think we need anything else to add to that.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Where are you reading that?
    Every news report I've read about the scheme says that it only extends to non-alcoholic beverages.

Apologies, I could be wrong, I'm sure it extends to alcoholic beverage when dining, I'll check again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,261 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Apologies, I could be wrong, I'm sure it extends to alcoholic beverage when dining, I'll check again

Cheers, I could be wrong also, but I have a feeling it will only apply to the portion of your bill charged at 13.5%.
    Alcoholic drinks are going to be charged at 21% VAT on the receipt.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Cheers, I could be wrong also, but I have a feeling it will only apply to the portion of your bill charged at 13.5%.
    Alcoholic drinks are going to be charged at 21% VAT on the receipt.

Your completely right, I misinterpreted comments from Leo on the Today with Sarah show on RTE Radio 1 yesterday, apologies, I'm off to eat humble pie, I still think the Failte Ireland thing is going to be a red herring, I doubt few restaurants or bar restaurants registered so this is a major problem for those business affected, Leo reckons they can just register, I suspect they've alot more on their plates (excuse pun) to be worried about at the moment

Carers get the Respite Care Grant worth €1,700 annually in June.

I’m a Carer and I get that and it’s really welcome. Pays for a week in respite for my dad and more than enough for a holiday for myself too. Right now there’s no respite services though but the money is sitting there for when they resume. It was this time last year that I had a break from my “job”.

There’s a decent carers tax credit too so when I do my joint assessment and add in medical expenses that I pay for my dad every month, we normally get a tax refund (husbands PAYE). We pay the property tax with it and generally still receive money back after.

As my husband was on covid payment for a few months, there will be tax and usc to be added plus tax and usc on my carers money too. The 20% will probably be offset against that.

I’m really grateful for the 1700 but to put into context - I left my job to care full time for my dad and adding in the Christmas bonus and the 1700, my income is 255.90 per week. Even taking into consideration the carers tax credit we use I am nowhere near what I earned when a paye worker.

Doubtful. If excludes alcoholic drinks.if I hand up a receipt for a restaurant they'll have to scan and deduct for wine etc. It's a time consuming calculation. A one off voucher would have been alot faster with a greater uptake.

When you upload a receipt you also enter the value so all you need to do if alcohol isn’t allowed is deduct it from your numerical entry.

I’m a Carer and I get that and it’s really welcome. Pays for a week in respite for my dad and more than enough for a holiday for myself too. Right now there’s no respite services though but the money is sitting there for when they resume. It was this time last year that I had a break from my “job”.

There’s a decent carers tax credit too so when I do my joint assessment and add in medical expenses that I pay for my dad every month, we normally get a tax refund (husbands PAYE). We pay the property tax with it and generally still receive money back after.

As my husband was on covid payment for a few months, there will be tax and usc to be added plus tax and usc on my carers money too. The 20% will probably be offset against that.

I’m really grateful for the 1700 but to put into context - I left my job to care full time for my dad and adding in the Christmas bonus and the 1700, my income is 255.90 per week. Even taking into consideration the carers tax credit we use I am nowhere near what I earned when a paye worker.

Unfortunate this had to be brought into the discussion, Carers get very little support and I for one would not begrudge your annual payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A disgraceful move. Reminiscent of Nazi Germany segregation

https://www.thejournal.ie/staycation-spending-measures-5157989-Jul2020/

They introduced it as a tax credit, so screw the unemployed.

I earn 45k a year before anyone accuses me of being bitter. It's not different to economic vetos and discrimination encouraged on certain members of German society during the Nuremberg Laws.

Can the unemployed afford to take a holiday ? Should they be?

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Can the unemployed afford to take a holiday ? Should they be?

So it's an interesting 2 questions

A. Its always been permitted to take 2 weeks Holidays PA for social welfare recipients, this is nothing new and whilst they may not be able to afford exotic destinations, if they can afford it, why not

B. I think anyone regardless of their personal circumstances should be entitled to a holiday, break, why not? I don't think 2 weeks in a full calendar year is going to alter their circumstances in anyway.

Final point, people on the PUP payment, whilst technically unemployed are in a situation not of their doing, 3 months ago a person could have been earning €40k, led a perfectly ordinary, decent life, god forbid they might have savings, worse still they may have paid for a holiday.

There's an element in society very, very quick to judge, without having a iota of an understanding, for the record. PUP recepients also excluded from this scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

There’s a decent carers tax credit too so when I do my joint assessment and add in medical expenses that I pay for my dad every month

Does your dad not have a medical card?

Does your dad not have a medical card?

Yeah but there’s a fixed monthly fee anyway. Plus some of his tablets aren’t on medical card. About 35 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

For a couple eating out multiple times over a few days the bill will add up very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

Does anyone know if this applies to new bookings only? We have booked and paid for a weekend in Killarney in December. Also if I go for a weekend with my daughter who is not yet a tax payer, can I claim for the total cost or for only my part of the cost?

Tippgirl74 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this applies to new bookings only? We have booked and paid for a weekend in Killarney in December. Also if I go for a weekend with my daughter who is not yet a tax payer, can I claim for the total cost or for only my part of the cost?

I guess you could get a receipt on departure to reflect when you were on holidays, I'd call the venue, ask the question, your technically not on holidays till December. Hotels etc normally issue receipts on departure

I guess you could get a receipt on departure to reflect when you were on holidays, I'd call the venue, ask the question, your technically not on holidays till December. Hotels etc normally issue receipts on departure

Many thanks for your input. However it's complex as we booked through a booking site, so the hotel will not be issuing the receipt in any case. That may even be a condition in itself... requirement to book directly with the hotel, as was the case with the Kerry hotels 100euro off voucher!!
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-31007167.html?type=amp

Many thanks for your input. However it's complex as we booked through a booking site, so the hotel will not be issuing the receipt in any case. That may even be a condition in itself... requirement to book directly with the hotel, as was the case with the Kerry hotels 100euro off voucher!!
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-31007167.html?type=amp

I get you, yes booking site slightly different but I'm sure the dates of stay coukd be argued, those dates will be on the booking sites receipt, confirmation etc, I think it would be worth trying, submit the sites receipt, hopefully it will show VAT, if not I'd request one off them and submit after your stay, with whatever other receipts you get during your stay. Nice location, I lived in Dingle for 7 years :)

I get you, yes booking site slightly different but I'm sure the dates of stay coukd be argued, those dates will be on the booking sites receipt, confirmation etc, I think it would be worth trying, submit the sites receipt, hopefully it will show VAT, if not I'd request one off them and submit after your stay, with whatever other receipts you get during your stay. Nice location, I lived in Dingle for 7 years :)

It's just a case of waiting for the small print to be published. We will see, but I'll be disappointed if it doesn't include pre existing bookings as we only booked 10 days ago!! Then wouldn't surprise me if prices were hiked on foot of it so may be the same in the end. It's Killarney we are going to for a pre Christmas break. Lucky you to have lived in Dingle...but probably a bit too quiet for us in December. At least in Killarney you have a good range of shops if weather is poor.

It's just a case of waiting for the small print to be published. We will see, but I'll be disappointed if it doesn't include pre existing bookings as we only booked 10 days ago!! Then wouldn't surprise me if prices were hiked on foot of it so may be the same in the end. It's Killarney we are going to for a pre Christmas break. Lucky you to have lived in Dingle...but probably a bit too quiet for us in December. At least in Killarney you have a good range of shops if weather is poor.

Yes indeed but I think you'll be fine re rebate, Killarney lovely in December, might be some Christmas Markets if this Covid crisis ends. Dingle only starting to get busy now but season long lost, vistors up to 3 weeks ago struggling to find anything open. I actually had a restaurant there, former life as a chef (but I'm OK now :) ), and I'm detecting a bit of tipp in your user name, I trained in Rockwell, o the days. Have a nice trip regardless

• Advertisement

Yes indeed but I think you'll be fine re rebate, Killarney lovely in December, might be some Christmas Markets if this Covid crisis ends. Dingle only starting to get busy now but season long lost, vistors up to 3 weeks ago struggling to find anything open. I actually had a restaurant there, former life as a chef (but I'm OK now :) ), and I'm detecting a bit of tipp in your user name, I trained in Rockwell, o the days. Have a nice trip regardless

Thank you. We always treat ourselves to a Christmas break in Killarney. Can highly recommend. Great hotels, restaurants, shops and the national park is just fab anytime of year. Steep competition for restaurants in Dingle, not an easy place to get established! Have had some very good meals there over the years. Yes I am in Tipperary. Never knew Rockwell had been a chef training centre...!

Thank you. We always treat ourselves to a Christmas break in Killarney. Can highly recommend. Great hotels, restaurants, shops and the national park is just fab anytime of year. Steep competition for restaurants in Dingle, not an easy place to get established! Have had some very good meals there over the years. Yes I am in Tipperary. Never knew Rockwell had been a chef training centre...![/quote

Not commonly know but Rockwell college had one of the Top Culinary schools in Europe and for over 30 years, I was in its very last year, late eighties, it also had one of the best Agricultural training centres, both sadly long gone know.

Anyway, have fun and keep those receipts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Typically I see holidays as being a break from work. Going by that if you're unemployed you're always on holiday.

A typical boards "how many thanks can i get" post. Narrow minded, ignorant and uneducated.

What about carers, the disabled, the children of single parents. Do they deserve a holiday any less than you?

A typical boards "how many thanks can i get" post. Narrow minded, ignorant and uneducated.

What about carers, the disabled, the children of single parents. Do they deserve a holiday any less than you?

Agreed, there's sadly always one, two and maybe 3, quite inexcusable to discriminate across the board, Leo again trying to justify his decision on the week in politics, he forgets all those on the PUP payment were happily paying their taxes until the country was locked down.

Advertisement