Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid Holiday supplement only available to those who pay tax and USC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,235 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Vestiapx wrote: »
    I pay loads of tax. I will holiday at home this year but I'll be doing it before the kids have school. Who is this for ?

Rich retirees.
    Couples with kids pre school age.
    People who go to Center Parcs or similar during mid term.
    Golf / activity / spa weekend getaways
    Couples on a romantic break or just a romantic dinner. Just go for a fancy meal.
    The kind of people who would normally holiday abroad in off peak.

Maybe they should throw in another bank holiday.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I pay loads of tax. I will holiday at home this year but I'll be doing it before the kids have school. Who is this for ?

People who work who can avail of reduced over 50s/55s and 60s deals. A nice time actually to visit hotels with no kids flying around the place.

It’s valid from October to April so if you go out for a meal before Christmas or have a dirty weekend with the wife around valentines then you can claim 20% back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

+1 for another public holiday

Ruari Quinn and the Labour party were talking about February 1st St Bridgets Day but that proposal went nowhere and I have never heard anything since.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    +1 for another public holiday

Ruari Quinn and the Labour party were talking about February 1st St Bridgets Day but that proposal went nowhere and I have never heard anything since.

We need to start a petition... get momentum on this!
    I am sure Goebbels would have approved also... with some approved theme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's for the hospitality trade out of season. Won't suit me either as we'll take a break before September.

Grand so, I'll keep my restaurant receipts and get a €250 rebate. Seems stupid as I won't go out 1 more time because of it. If I need to save 20% on eating out I'll stop tipping. Not trying to sound like a pick worked in service for years, but that's how people think.

It’s valid from October to April so if you go out for a meal before Christmas or have a dirty weekend with the wife around valentines then you can claim 20% back.

Actually I'll book a valentine's get away before everyone else cops this, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,091 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Grand so, I'll keep my restaurant receipts and get a €250 rebate. Seems stupid as I won't go out 1 more time because of it. If I need to save 20% on eating out I'll stop tipping. Not trying to sound like a pick worked in service for years, but that's how people think.

But a lot of people will take that £250 they get back and go on to spend it somewhere else

This will take some of the sting out of paying for hotel when attending a wedding... assuming the big events resume from October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

If I end up with the USC and another example covid 19 social charge... and folks are thinking I even want a supplement for holidays...

Financially with 4 kids both me and the wife working.. think it be best we go on the dole...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's 20% (on a max of €625 per person) back as tax credit not tax refund and there will be a list of qualifying hotels and restaurants .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

screamer wrote: »
    Oh lads, all the outrage. Now put your brain in gear and think, really hard why they set it up like this????? Give up? I’ll tell you
    A tax credit is not money they hand you out, it’s on paper. Thus, it won’t be paid back to anyone in a lump, it will be like a tenner less a month taken from your taxes. In this way, it’ll cost them very little and there’s no real admin to it and it’s stretched over 12 months for them to refund.
    Now if they were to give it back in a cash refund so everyone could have it, imagine the money they’d need and the resources to admin it....... it’s nothing to do with employed or unemployed it’s the cheapest easiest vehicle to deliver this with

But you do get it back as a cash refund. Everyone should be doing their tax on myAccount at the start of the year and making a claim for all expenses due (mostly medical for the majority). You get a refund back into you bank account a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They introduced it as a tax credit, so screw the unemployed.

How exactly can the unemployed afford a holiday if you'd only get 125 euro?
    So they wouldn't be able to use a voucher.

If they were able to afford it and did have a job for even part of the year, they also can get the benefit. But anyone who is unemployed all year is already getting a massive handout from the state already in comparison to what a PAYE worker gets. So where's the unfairness?

It's 20% (on a max of €625 per person) back as tax credit not tax refund and there will be a list of qualifying hotels and restaurants .

1. I'm married so that's 1250, 20 % of which is 250.
    2. There is no difference between a refund and a credit unless you are living hand to mouth.
    3. I'm sure that all decent restaurants will be on this list.

How exactly can the unemployed afford a holiday if you'd only get 125 euro?
    So they wouldn't be able to use a voucher.

If they were able to afford it and did have a job for even part of the year, they also can get the benefit. But anyone who is unemployed all year is already getting a massive handout from the state already in comparison to what a PAYE worker gets. So where's the unfairness?

There is none. Roll on with CSC new tax on top of the USC.. this country has you maxed once your foot is on the ladder...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

It makes complete sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

But you do get it back as a cash refund. Everyone should be doing their tax on myAccount at the start of the year and making a claim for all expenses due (mostly medical for the majority). You get a refund back into you bank account a few days later.

If it’s a tax credit you won’t. Tax credits are allocated per month so you’ll get 125/12 as a tax credit against your tax payable each month. The princely sum of 10.41 per month. If it’s a tax refund that’s cash in your hand, but tax credit is done per month over 12 months.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This will take some of the sting out of paying for hotel when attending a wedding... assuming the big events resume from October.

I was meant to attend a wedding in May that’s been postponed till nearer Christmas. I can now claim back 20% of the hotel booking. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

A tax rebate is a handout. So it's perverse to mock those on the dole.

And that's coming from someone who has paid eye watering amounts of tax at times.

1. I'm married so that's 1250, 20 % of which is 250.
    2. There is no difference between a refund and a credit unless you are living hand to mouth.
    3. I'm sure that all decent restaurants will be on this list.

Not disagreeing with you. This is exactly what they want. Couples like you spending €1250 on food in restaurants between October and April.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity... who is paying for these 350 a week payments? And the new supplement? Dont forget all the planes that were grounded all the stuff that took weeks to get to the country. The extra garda that were not even qualified as garda but got a quick run down?

Oh the healthcare the lads on the scratch the folks not giving a **** about social distancing and causing more havoc?

I dont pretend to be understanding in all areas.. but I know what's in my pocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Unemployed in Nazi Germany were sent to the camps so I'd say so.

But this is the opposite. They get to stay at home.

polesheep wrote: »
    And that's coming from someone who has paid eye watering amounts of tax at times.

A tax rebate isnt a handout.
    Its a refund on taxes paid AND the cost of the service paid.
    Taking less isnt a handout.

Surprise surprise. A dissenting voice.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'm struggling to understand why it's set up this way in the first instance.

If someone can afford to spend on luxuries at present, like trips away, restaurants, then they are not the most in need. They are also unlikrly to spend more as a result of this incentive,just claim a refund for money they were happy to spend in the first instance.

Surely the money and the tax credits are the moment should be directed to whether they are needed most, job creation, tax relief for those in the tourism and hospitality sectors etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What makes me more entitled to it than my neighbour who might be unemployed? Or genuinely disabled?

What do you mean by "genuinely disabled "? You're surely not suggesting that there are people claiming disability benefits who are not disabled are you !

As soon as I read it being compared to Nazis, I stopped reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Ok

Is this actually the first thing that only benefits those who "get up early" that has been done? And Leo is out of the big chair a few weeks before it happens?

Can't think of anything that was done in the last while that benefited those working specifically over those who aren't.

As someone who's self-employed, firstly I wouldn't be dropping €650 on a hotel, and secondly, €125 back for spending that €650, in the form of a tax break, isn't exactly massively appealing.

I'm struggling to understand why it's set up this way in the first instance.

If someone can afford to spend on luxuries at present, like trips away, restaurants, then they are not the most in need. They are also unlikrly to spend more as a result of this incentive,just claim a refund for money they were happy to spend in the first instance.
    Surely the money and the tax credits are the moment should be directed to whether they are needed most, job creation, tax relief for those in the tourism and hospitality sectors etc?

Its not about helping the people spending the money.
    Its about helping them to spend money here rather than abroad.
    If you think people are unlikely to spend more money here because of the tax credit... not sure why a VAT cut for hospitality would?

• Advertisement

Yes they would have set up holiday camps for free holidays for Aryans .. they actually did this btw.

But keep reading. Thread gets good.

Is this actually the first thing that only benefits those who "get up early" that has been done? And Leo is out of the big chair a few weeks before it happens?

Can't think of anything that was done in the last while that benefited those working specifically over those who aren't.

As someone who's self-employed, firstly I wouldn't be dropping €650 on a hotel, and secondly, €125 back for spending that €650, in the form of a tax break, isn't exactly massively appealing.

Is the country not already a train wreck before these payments? I cant get my head around why they would even bother... surely it be just like all the other supplements. Creche want 1k a month. You get a payment of 70 euro a month off the gov. Creche realise and now want 1100...

If you are thinking about a long weekend away here versus abroad... I would include the discount when comparing hotel prices.
    You could easily spend 500e on a long weekend city break for a couple for accomodation and dinners.
    Throw in a few dinners in your hometown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Must be first time ever working in Ireland actually pays...its usually the non contributing layabouts that are rewarded. Need plenty more initiatives like this aimed at contributing taxpayers

Is the country not already a train wreck before these payments? I cant get my head around why they would even bother... surely it be just like all the other supplements. Creche want 1k a month. You get a payment of 70 euro a month off the gov. Creche realise and now want 1100...

You can holiday in Italy.
    Take a city break to Riga.
    Or just leave your money in the bank.
    Not spend your money here.
    So the hotels need to do more to get your custom.
    And Paschal wants all the lovely tax on what you spend.

You cant do that with a creche.

You can holiday in Italy.
    Take a city break to Riga.
    Or just leave your money in the bank.
    Not spend your money here.
    So the hotels need to do more to get your custom.
    And Paschal wants all the lovely tax on what you spend.

You cant do that with a creche.

Fair point

My understanding with FF in power like when we were told to spend spend spent. Or we will lower taxes but correct me if I'm wrong got bin charges instead...

My question really is. Who is paying for this? Cause another USC sorta idea freaks me out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Its not about helping the people spending the money.
    Its about helping them to spend money here rather than abroad.
    If you think people are unlikely to spend more money here because of the tax credit... not sure why a VAT cut for hospitality would?

Most decent people aren't going to spend money abroad at the moment anyway. I don't think the Vat cut is one of the best things they could have done either.

Measures aimed at creating and sustaining jobs would be more effective. Cuts to stamp duty to encourage buying of property. Tax relief for businesses directly so the savings can be used for business growth or investment, payment of debtors, rental etc or subsidised rents for commercial businesses in trouble, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Surprise surprise. A dissenting voice.....

It's a handout. We all get handouts from the state, be it children's allowance or money off your staycation, it doesn't matter. It's money that was due to be collected by the state that is now being handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I wish there was a way to tie it into the guidelines of restricted travelling abroad. Reading these forums there people just itching to go away out abroad on holidays and that can be very risky. Especially busy airports and busy and packed planes. It's a receipe for disaster and for picking up virus and potentially bringing it home and starting a new cluster of cases. I wash there was a way to tie such a reward into the guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭road_high

owlbethere wrote: »
    I wish there was a way to tie it into the guidelines of restricted travelling abroad. Reading these forums there people just itching to go away out abroad on holidays and that can be very risky. Especially busy airports and busy and packed planes. It's a receipe for disaster and for picking up virus and potentially bringing it home and starting a new cluster of cases. I wash there was a way to tie such a reward into the guidelines.

So you’d like to control people further...quelle surprise

Most decent people aren't going to spend money abroad at the moment anyway. I don't think the Vat cut is one of the best things they could have done either.
    Measures aimed at creating and sustaining jobs would be more effective. Cuts to stamp duty to encourage buying of property. Tax relief for businesses directly so the savings can be used for business growth or investment, payment of debtors, rental etc or subsidised rents for commercial businesses in trouble, etc

Lots of people are itching to get to Green List countries.
    By October and then March that will be even more if things under control.
    Maybe not older people so much but big spenders in late 20s and early 30s.
    Hen parties etc

All of the above measures would cost a helluva lot more. This is about boosting demand and doesnt really cost them anything if it works out that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

owlbethere wrote: »

The simplest way would be for the State to refund the costs incurred for holiday flights and accommodation booked before mid-March.

(Mrs. Steevens and I are still deliberating whether or not to avail of our flights and hotel reservations in the Algarve in late September. They were booked and paid for in January and we hate simply throwing the money away. If the Gov. was to offer even a 50% refund of the costs incurred then we'd be much more inclined to stay at home. )

It's a handout. We all get handouts from the state, be it children's allowance or money off your staycation, it doesn't matter. It's money that was due to be collected by the state that is now being handed out.

Not a handout. Of course it matters that it is about taking less tax. The state would have nothing to give without the tax you pay them in the first place.

Fair point
    My understanding with FF in power like when we were told to spend spend spent. Or we will lower taxes but correct me if I'm wrong got bin charges instead...
    My question really is. Who is paying for this? Cause another USC sorta idea freaks me out

Well specifically on this scheme we pay for it through the extra taxes we pay while holidaying here.

On all the other much more costly measures... I dont know what to tell you. Couldnt rule that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Im glad that the government are offering something for those who work. Its about time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

A disgraceful move. Reminiscent of Nazi Germany segregation

https://www.thejournal.ie/staycation-spending-measures-5157989-Jul2020/

They introduced it as a tax credit, so screw the unemployed.

I earn 45k a year before anyone accuses me of being bitter. It's not different to economic vetos and discrimination encouraged on certain members of German society during the Nuremberg Laws.

Brilliant......

I want the dole lowered back to 186 a week. No extra payment at Christmas. If you are able and the job is within you area you need to take it.... I will take my chances with that before I consider payments for holidays

Between what my wife earns and I earn. We pay the same as 1 salary per month in usc and paye. Dont even get me started on vhi...

Just find it very confusing that folks welcome this idea as it's still gonna come out of your pocket

Well specifically on this scheme we pay for it through the extra taxes we pay while holidaying here.

On all the other much more costly measures... I dont know what to tell you. Couldnt rule that out.

Cough up unfortunately

Just like the rainy day fund...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

JeffKenna wrote: »
    All you have to do is get a bottle of wine and ask the hotel to put it on the receipt as a main course. Seen it happen loads on business lunches.

Interesting. I figured there would be a way around it in theory but that it would be hassle for the business. I can't think of a valid rationale for excluding alcoholic drinks. I can't see how it could be seen to be promoting drink or anything scurrilous like that.

Yes they would have set up holiday camps for free holidays for Aryans .. they actually did this btw.

But keep reading. Thread gets good.

I'm well aware. Very very interesting and definitely in my future visit list but in no way comparable to this scenario in any way that the op was suggesting

• Advertisement
Advertisement