Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

doc22 wrote: »
    In regional places you have one HEO to perhaps 20/30 staff. Unless your in Dublin it wouldn't be unusual to be at a EO grade at retirement. With Seniority gone young HEO/APs leave those down the ladder with now where to go.. Plenty of talented COs at the grade 20 plus years unfortunately. You're not going to be given a HEO role and for many the extra 100 take home isn't worth the workload/responsibility. The recent recruitment drives are exceptional in terms of position available due to the age profile of civil service and unlikely to be repeated in the future.

Promotions based on seniority alone is a very silly concept, glad it's gone. These talented COs have had the opportunity via multiple EO/HEO competitions over the past few years to demonstrate their ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

blondie007 wrote: »
    That's fantastic, congrats on all your promotions. Was that all in one department or did you have to move ?

One was internal the others were open comps so I've moved dept twice. I say it not to brag but to offer my experience in opposition to the idea of being 'stuck' at EO for 30 years or whatever. If you apply yourself and work on your competencies there are opportunities. Of course it can depend on timing, I had to wait for the competitions to open in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blondie007

Promotions based on seniority alone is a very silly concept, glad it's gone. These talented COs have had the opportunity via multiple EO/HEO competitions over the past few years to demonstrate their ability.

I agree totally. Also your previous non civil service experience comes into play. I worked with a new entrant CO who was in in her 50s, she got promoted through a competition to AO -4 months later.
    So no matter your age or experience-go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sooo

Vologda69 wrote: »
    You might be waiting a while to be called. Cork never went beyond oom 52 in the 2019 EO competition. Utter joke

Oooh, got 120’s for Cork. That’s me out of the running then 🥲

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Augme

From what I've found a massive percentage of those who are happy to stay as career EOs are married women who's partner would be the primary earned in the household. The too of the EO scale, even after just 6-10 years, isn't that bad as a secondary income so I can definitely understand the decision to stay there if you have got family and kids and a husband who earns more, or similar if you live outside of Dublin too. There is a big jump in pressure and responsibility from EO to HEO so I can definitely dee and respect why people stay as HEO.

However, for the long term EOs who want to HEO and haven't passed HEO interviews then that is a worry.

There's a significant amount of HEOs who are extreme bad as well.

• Advertisement

Sooo wrote: »
    Oooh, got 120’s for Cork. That’s me out of the running then ��

I wouldn't say that just yet. We still have the etray & the interview to do so you might move up in OOM. Also- there have been so many retirements in 2020-I would imagine there will be a lot of upward movement in the Civil Service this year.
    Keep the Faith !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sooo

blondie007 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that just yet. We still have the etray & the interview to do so you might move up in OOM. Also- there have been so many retirements in 2020-I would imagine there will be a lot of upward movement in the Civil Service this year.
    Keep the Faith !!

Thank you for allowing me to dream! Can I ask if I will definitely expect to get the etray AND interview?

Sooo wrote: »
    Thank you for allowing me to dream! Can I ask if I will definitely expect to get the etray AND interview?

You'll certainly get called to etray stage & hopefully interview too depending on your new OOM. Best of luck, hoping we'll hear about the etray stage this month .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BM14murph

Anybody know when we’ll hear about stage 1 interview results? I completely forgot to ask them for a timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 clairevoyant

I'm hoping to be called for mayo oom 224 and inter 83 -its the wait that's a killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

BM14murph wrote: »
    Anybody know when we’ll hear about stage 1 interview results? I completely forgot to ask them for a timeframe.

How did your interview go? I feel so under pressure after getting through all the stages to this one - wouldn't want to fall at the final hurdle. Any advice for my prep?

tomjmsn wrote: »
    How did your interview go? I feel so under pressure after getting through all the stages to this one - wouldn't want to fall at the final hurdle. Any advice for my prep?

I think it well thanks mate. Cautiously optimistic.

Have an example for each of the 5/6 competencies and make sure you know them. The STAR system is a great way of preparing.

Situation - How did the issue arise or the background of the story.

Task - What your plan was

Action - What you actually did

Result - closing statement on the whole thing.

I had two lovely interviewers who really made me feel comfortable and I imagine you will to.

Best of luck and make sure you have some water! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I think it well thanks mate. Cautiously optimistic.

Have an example for each of the 5/6 competencies and make sure you know them. The STAR system is a great way of preparing.

Situation - How did the issue arise or the background of the story.

Task - What your plan was

Action - What you actually did

Result - closing statement on the whole thing.

I had two lovely interviewers who really made me feel comfortable and I imagine you will to.

Best of luck and make sure you have some water! ��
    You wont fail the interview, its just a matter of doing your best to be placed high enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

Also be prepared to answer questions about Our Public Service 2020, and the ethos of the civil service

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Augme wrote: »
    From what I've found a massive percentage of those who are happy to stay as career EOs are married women who's partner would be the primary earned in the household. The too of the EO scale, even after just 6-10 years, isn't that bad as a secondary income so I can definitely understand the decision to stay there if you have got family and kids and a husband who earns more, or similar if you live outside of Dublin too. There is a big jump in pressure and responsibility from EO to HEO so I can definitely dee and respect why people stay as HEO.

However, for the long term EOs who want to HEO and haven't passed HEO interviews then that is a worry.

There's a significant amount of HEOs who are extreme bad as well.

I have to agree on that point on HEO's..... there are a few of them around!
    I'm lucky in the sense that I am working with a HEO who believes in team work and interaction from all of us - CO's and EO's - and encourages you to progress and move forward. I've learnt a lot from them.
    However my friend is working for a HEO that only talks to you when they need you to do something, treats the CO appallingly (tantamount to bullying in some instances!) - it has been quite distressing for my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

I sent an email a few days after my interview early January and got a reply to say results would come through public jobs message board in the coming weeks. So a bit vague but I’d be hopeful to hear something by end of the month?

Seesee wrote: »
    I sent an email a few days after my interview early January and got a reply to say results would come through public jobs message board in the coming weeks. So a bit vague but I’d be hopeful to hear something by end of the month?

Hopefully my friend. The anticipation for the results is worse than the anticipation for the interview itself! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭11amie11

Hi everyone, can someone explain to me how the interview results work? What exactly is your order of merit? For example, say it was 10, are you in a group of people at number 10 or are you number 10 on the list to get a job ? Thanks

11amie11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, can someone explain to me how the interview results work? What exactly is your order of merit? For example, say it was 10, are you in a group of people at number 10 or are you number 10 on the list to get a job ? Thanks

I got an email saying my order of merit was 1. I didnt do a great interview so I'm assuming there Is no way this meant I'm 1 on the panel. I got an email a few minutes later saying I'm number 7 merit. I still dont think I did well enough to score this, so now im anticipating another email with a higher number. Has anyone any idea if the order or merit is like oom?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭gestappo

I got an email saying my order of merit was 1. I didnt do a great interview so I'm assuming there Is no way this meant I'm 1 on the panel. I got an email a few minutes later saying I'm number 7 merit. I still dont think I did well enough to score this, so now im anticipating another email with a higher number. Has anyone any idea if the order or merit is like oom?

Did they mess up the results again???

Congratulations on passing!! Fantastic result!

• Advertisement

gestappo wrote: »
    Did they mess up the results again???

Congratulations on passing!! Fantastic result!

Hi! Thanks so much, honestly thought I'd failed a couple of competencies!

Anyway, I've just realised I'm an idiot! The first email was inderdepartemental and second was open score. I'm still convinced an email is going to come through saying they're wrong, I'm in shock!! Thanks again!

Hi! Thanks so much, honestly thought I'd failed a couple of competencies!

Anyway, I've just realised I'm an idiot! The first email was inderdepartemental and second was open score. I'm still convinced an email is going to come through saying they're wrong, I'm in shock!! Thanks again!

Congrats! You wont be long hearing from them regarding a post!

Can I ask how long you were waiting for your interview result?

facade wrote: »
    Congrats! You wont be long hearing from them regarding a post!

Can I ask how long you were waiting for your interview result?

Thanks so much! Ye no worries, my interview was on the 8th of January and I got the result this evening, so not even two weeks. Pretty quick considering how long the e-tray results took!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭gestappo

Thanks so much! Ye no worries, my interview was on the 8th of January and I got the result this evening, so not even two weeks. Pretty quick considering how long the e-tray results took!

How did you find the whole ‘camera’ interview?

That is really quick considering.... fingers crossed for you to hear about a post soon!

Check your mail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Check your mail :)

Now I'm intrigued...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Congrats! I just checked my email tonight by chance. Don’t know how I missed it. So I’m OOM 13 and I’m delighted. I hope this means a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Seesee wrote: »
    Congrats! I just checked my email tonight by chance. Don’t know how I missed it. So I’m OOM 13 and I’m delighted. I hope this means a job!

Congrats. If you're in Dublin you should be getting placed pretty soon, the fact we're currently in level 5 may slow things a bit but you wont be waiting long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Abcdefg1234567

Sorry this is probably a silly question but I saw there's discussion about a return to pre- Haddington Road agreement hours. If there is a reduction in hours, does it apply to all employees (i.e. new entrants) or just staff before the hours changed in 2013?

Advertisement